Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline danmarklinman  
#1 Posted : 19 April 2017 09:02:05(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Dear all. I have two Piko locos, they both are light weight and have very basic decoders. What I was thinking of doing, is placing a stay alive decoder in one of these, to see if that helps. I also wondered if stay alive decoders come with Accessorie capability to enable Marklin automatic uncouplers to be fitted. I have already moved the buffers up to the same level as Marklin freight car buffer height, stopping any problems with the trouble you get with other makes and Marklin close couplers. The first loco I want to do has an eight pin plug socket, but there is not much room? Hope you can help. :-)
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline rugauger  
#2 Posted : 19 April 2017 18:34:26(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Hi - I'm not sure what you mean by "stay alive" decoders, and what fitting one would help with. Do you mean that there are contact problems because the locos are so light, and "stay alive" decoders (those fitted with capacitors to remedy current gaps) are a possible solution?
It would be helpful to see a picture of one of the decoders you are thinking about replacing, or at least a picture of the inside of the loco. If your loco has an 8-pin socket, chances are you'll find a decoder somewhere that will fit; decoders are continually coming down in size.
Richard
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rugauger
Offline danmarklinman  
#3 Posted : 20 April 2017 08:50:02(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: rugauger Go to Quoted Post
Hi - I'm not sure what you mean by "stay alive" decoders, and what fitting one would help with. Do you mean that there are contact problems because the locos are so light, and "stay alive" decoders (those fitted with capacitors to remedy current gaps) are a possible solution?
It would be helpful to see a picture of one of the decoders you are thinking about replacing, or at least a picture of the inside of the loco. If your loco has an 8-pin socket, chances are you'll find a decoder somewhere that will fit; decoders are continually coming down in size.
thanks for your reply.
Yes, the type of decoder which has a capacitor to bridge a gap in track power. There is not a great deal of room inside the cab, were the decoder sits underneath the dash board. My other plan however is to fit a Marklin decoder inside with braking delay and a function use, to allow telex couplers to be fitted. And just add more weight inside, if I can. The decoder I was thinking of was 60760, 60962. I am not sure if they are suitable or have a function. 60962 I'm almost sure is.Confused BigGrin
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 21 April 2017 14:51:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: rugauger Go to Quoted Post
thanks for your reply.
Yes, the type of decoder which has a capacitor to bridge a gap in track power. There is not a great deal of room inside the cab, were the decoder sits underneath the dash board. My other plan however is to fit a Marklin decoder inside with braking delay and a function use, to allow telex couplers to be fitted. And just add more weight inside, if I can. The decoder I was thinking of was 60760, 60962. I am not sure if they are suitable or have a function. 60962 I'm almost sure is.Confused BigGrin

I would go with a Loksound and their add-on stay alive. get an M4 version loaded with an appropriate sound file and it should make a nice running loco. They can be purchased with 8 pin plugs, so should drop in. Teh stay-alive unit is separate which would allow you to locate it somewhere else suitable.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan