Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 12 April 2017 09:33:22(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
The other day a good friend of mine gave me a book entitled, "Destination Sth Brisbane". It was produced in 1978 by the Australian Railway Historical Society in commemoration of the opening of the new (and first) cross river rail bridge in November 1978. While the book has a focus on the South Brisbane railway network to 1978, it also has some interesting rolling stock mentioned in the book.

One of these items is the McKeen rail motor that was used in Queensland (and Victoria) to service lower volume lines. The McKeen is special as it was the first rail car used in Queensland and, it seems, that it was such a shocker that it was another ten years before the Government of Queensland plucked up the courage to order any more rail-cars.

Here is a picture of the Queensland one at the Toowoomba railway station. I believe that there were five in Queensland

The Queensland McKeen rail-car

I am not an expert on these rail-cars, but the book tells me that they were in service in 1914 and servicing the line between Manly and Cleveland, South Brisbane to Corinda, and South Brisbane to Sunnybank. While they are stunning examples of early 20th century design, their 200 hp motors were extremely unreliable and the could only operate in one direction. When they reached the end of the line, they had to be turned around on a turntable or a whye. Two of them ended their life as tourist cars that ran excursions to places like Coolangatta and Canungra. I am not sure how the one in the picture ended up at Toowoomba - driver got lost? RollEyes

Here is a link (http://www.victorianrailways.net/motive%20power/mckeen/mckeen.html) to the Victoria ones. The big difference here is that Victoria used Broad gauge rail lines, while Queensland used Narrow gauge.

Here is a link to the more general McKeen rail motors site ->: http://www.mckeencar.com/

Here is a link to what might be the last surviving one in the Nevada State Railroad museum -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_and_Truckee_Railway_Motor_Car_22 It seems to be completely different to the ones used in Queensland, but the overall ship-like style is evident.

I like this style of railcar and it is a shame that it was not a success. Perhaps Marklin might like a short trip to the Nevada museum with a long tape measure.. LOL
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 13 April 2017 09:27:01(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Adrian,
I have seen HO scale models of these, but not sure if any of the ones that ran in Queensland.
There is a gentleman here in Brisbane named Eddie Stavleu who is modelling the railways of the Cleveland area (bayside Brisbane) and he either has one, or is intent on getting one.
Yes I agree, very iconic rail cars.

It might fit with the Marklin foray into more US stuff.

Regarding the failure here of the McKeens, it appears that the currently under-test Indian built EMU for our electric systems are heading the same road, or so I hear.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 13 April 2017 09:44:54(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
...under-test Indian built EMU for our electric systems are heading the same road, or so I hear...

You hear correctly and for the same reasons why Queensland Rail has historically had problems - they always go with the cheapest price.. It's why we have narrow gauge - it was cheaper.. There are lots of examples in this book of spectacular failures due to poor decision making, and the huge cost to make it right. It seems that these EMUs have joined a long list.. Why they could not have been made by Walkers; I cannot understand. QR could then have watched the entire process from concept to final build.. I also hear that they are nick-named Ta Ta Rail (or similar).. RollEyes

Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline ixldoc  
#4 Posted : 13 April 2017 10:06:34(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Kimball ,your comments have jogged my memory and I remember seeing a couple of these cars in HO brass when I was younger.
They were Japanese made and two rail. I only saw unpainted ones.
Cheers,
Howard.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 15 April 2017 00:28:02(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
...under-test Indian built EMU for our electric systems are heading the same road, or so I hear...

You hear correctly and for the same reasons why Queensland Rail has historically had problems - they always go with the cheapest price.. It's why we have narrow gauge - it was cheaper.. There are lots of examples in this book of spectacular failures due to poor decision making, and the huge cost to make it right. It seems that these EMUs have joined a long list.. Why they could not have been made by Walkers; I cannot understand. QR could then have watched the entire process from concept to final build.. I also hear that they are nick-named Ta Ta Rail (or similar).. RollEyes

Having lived in Maryborough for 5 years in the late 70s, and understanding how a town with a stable, technically savvy workforce can rely on government contracts, I too wonder why there is not a greater good in selecting EDI Walkers for these jobs.

When I was in Denmark visiting my daughter, we learned that their ICE3 (which were built locally in the 1980s - the ones with the huge rubber gangways) had to be be given a further 10 years of lifespan on the intercity duties.
This was because over 50% of the ICE4 which were built in Italy to replace them, had electrical or other problems.
When you pass through a provincial town like Fredericia there are long lines of these trains in permanent storage, away from the eyes of the populous in Copenhagen, who might be justifiably annoyed.
Out of sight, out of mind.
I don't know if the supplier got paid.
But I think whether it is Italy or India, isn't it all the same builder, Bombardier??

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline xxup  
#6 Posted : 15 April 2017 02:51:12(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Ah that's an interesting idea, but where something is built depends on the level of manual input into the production line.

My former neighbour used to own a Mercedes-Benz that was made in South Africa. Every month it was in the workshop for something new. It was the last Mercedes he ever owned - all his prior ones were made in Germany.. According to him, he was not the only one with the problems. It seems that he regularly met fellow owners at the Dealership, where they compared notes about the things that had gone wrong with their respective vehicles.

But then there is Skoda, highly automated factories based on Volkswagen technology - same reliability. We have had two Skodas not a single problem with either. I don't know many other Skoda owners, but they ones I do know report that they, also, have not had any problems. (Other than the legendary Dieselgate.. LOL )

Case in point about the Bombardier Factory in India.. Look at this photo..

UserPostedImage

From an official factory media release at http://3blmedia.com/News/CSR/Bombardier-Celebrates-1500-Accident-Free-Days-its-Bogie-Assembly-Hall-Savli

Look at how the suspensions are sitting on the floor.. Even look at the floor itself and the trolley/workbench in the bottom right of the image.. Compare this to that factory in Germany (it was on a Marklin video I saw recently - I will find it soon) that maintains the axles and wheels - all the axles are moved around the factory on special metal jigs with wheels.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline kimballthurlow  
#7 Posted : 15 April 2017 10:55:59(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Ah that's an interesting idea, but where something is built depends on the level of manual input into the production line.

My former neighbour used to own a Mercedes-Benz that was made in South Africa. ........

The EDI Walker plant in Maryborough (or whatever it is now) really impressed me with the historical expertise that was embedded in the place. I knew people who worked there, whose fathers and grandfathers had worked there. They just grow up with knowing how to cast, how to found, how to weld, how to wrought, how to fit, how to turn ..... you get the idea.

Anyway, I also had a SA built Mercedes Benz and I had a completely different experience, I thought is was a superb motor car.
Regarding Skoda, I hear very good things about, including an owner at work.
And my son-in-law who is German was telling me only yesterday (a long term committed MB driver) that if he was to purchase a new car or nearly new car, that it could well be a Skoda after what he had recently seen of them.

regards
Kimball