Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tony Spencer  
#1 Posted : 07 April 2017 09:34:53(UTC)
Tony Spencer

United Kingdom   
Can anyone recommend a service dealer or model shop offering Marklin repair service. Live nr Junc 28, M25 but postal OK. Thanks Tony S.
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 07 April 2017 12:47:55(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Tony,

About the only Marklin dealer I know of near the M25 is Gaugemasters. They are next to Ford station near Arundel in Sussex. I don't know if they will do any servicing or repairs but you could ask them
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Michael4  
#3 Posted : 08 April 2017 23:14:12(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
They are only down the road from me but seem to have very little Marklin stuff. They may no longer be the 'official' UK agent. I don't know about servicing but fear maybe not.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 09 April 2017 13:51:36(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
They are only down the road from me but seem to have very little Marklin stuff. They may no longer be the 'official' UK agent. I don't know about servicing but fear maybe not.

Gaugemaster lost the UK agency for a period, but are again the official UK agent as of approximately 18 months ago.

Offline IanC  
#5 Posted : 10 April 2017 18:52:49(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
You can always send things back to Marklin in Goppingen.
Offline Rwill  
#6 Posted : 10 April 2017 19:58:57(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Using my good friend Ms edge I came up with this:

http://www.railmodeling.com/repairs/UK/

And at least two mention the word Marklin and of those one actually has a website that works and they appear to be in or near the metropolis

This comes with no recommendation from me - let the buyer beware!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline pradeep  
#7 Posted : 13 April 2017 08:58:54(UTC)
pradeep

India   
I am too sending my 2 loco 37370 nd 37970 to Marklin repir service ,Germany for repair/refurbishing.Hope they r good n fast .
Offline HO Collector  
#8 Posted : 15 April 2017 23:01:17(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
Two months ago I sent an email to Marklin asking for a lantern that got lost. I asked for another and also asked for their bank details so money can be transferred, am still waiting for an answer. I feel that Marklin don't give a hoot about the customer.
Offline baggio  
#9 Posted : 15 April 2017 23:40:04(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
"I feel that Marklin don't give a hoot about the customer."

These companies are all the same. They do not have enough staff to answer your q's, do your repairs, etc..

Hornby was a nightmare to deal with. I fired them.

Bottom line: If at all possible, go through a dealer.

My 2 cents' worth. BigGrin
Offline baggio  
#10 Posted : 15 April 2017 23:41:46(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: pradeep Go to Quoted Post
Hopethey r good n fast .

You are an optimist, Pradeep. BigGrin
Offline dickinsonj  
#11 Posted : 16 April 2017 01:39:17(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post

These companies are all the same. They do not have enough staff to answer your q's, do your repairs, etc...

My ESU loco died after just a few hours of use. It was cost prohibitive to send it to MSL for warranty work but luckily a local friend repaired it for me.

I emailed ESU support just to see what they had to say and if they could support me in any way or even tell me the best way to buy repair parts for their locos. Unfortunately they never bothered to respond.

I agree - your only effective leverage is through the dealer that you bought the items from, and if not from a dealer then, Good Luck.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Michael4  
#12 Posted : 16 April 2017 12:45:07(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
In the UK Marklin has been something of a very poor relation for many years and hasn't found a home. I suspect the demand just doesn't justify it commercially. Marklin just is not that bothered about our little islands.

Some will remember a chain called Beatties who actually stocked stuff in store for a while but they went the way of so many...

Thanks to EU postal rates and Ebay we seem better served than ever before.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline petestra  
#13 Posted : 17 April 2017 21:27:30(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
In the UK Marklin has been something of a very poor relation for many years and hasn't found a home. I suspect the demand just doesn't justify it commercially. Marklin just is not that bothered about our little islands.

Some will remember a chain called Beatties who actually stocked stuff in store for a while but they went the way of so many...

Thanks to EU postal rates and Ebay we seem better served than ever before.

Yes, Michael. My first visit to your wonderful country was way back in 1975. I was at the Beatties store in London. They were very nice folks. I bought

a few things from them and some mags. Cheers, Peter. Cool
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Rwill  
#14 Posted : 17 April 2017 21:53:15(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
We used to have a Beatties branch in Croydon (the fact that it is now a branch of Anne Summers will be lost on most members of the forum) a very fine toy shop that happened to stock Marklin. I used to pop in there with the kids and they would be off to other departments whilst I went on a serious Marklin browse There was a young lad in the model rail department employed as a Saturday boy who couldn't get his head round Marklin pricing being almost double the price of Hornby so he used to apologise that someone must have price labelled things up wrong and let me have some super deals!!! They went bust at some point little wonder perhaps. However in the context of this topic they were no more than a toy shop and never got involved in service and repair. At one point for a short while Harrods became a Marklin dealer with an incredible demo layout you would go there for a look then a couple of stops on the tube to the main UK dealer/importer W&H models in Mareleybone who were disorganised chaos but lovely helpful guys until they too went bust. They used to take things in for service and repair then totally loose the items and replace free of charge with new goods.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline Tom Jessop  
#15 Posted : 17 April 2017 23:31:06(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Didn't realise that Anne Summers was still in operation , a name I haven't seen in years . Oh well I would still classify it as a toy store but for a different clientele .

The things you learn on these famous pages .

Cheers Tom in Oz . [ who has never crossed the door step of any AS branches ] .
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline RayF  
#16 Posted : 18 April 2017 12:49:02(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
My regular route when visiting London used to be Regent Street for Hamleys to check out their MArklin display and stock, then up Oxford Street to High Holborn for Beatties, and then back up to New Cavendish Street for W&H models. Somehwere along the line I would end up buying some Marklin trains, though it generally wouldn't be Hamleys as they were much more expensive
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Robert Davies  
#17 Posted : 18 April 2017 13:39:30(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
My regular route when visiting London used to be Regent Street for Hamleys to check out their MArklin display and stock, then up Oxford Street to High Holborn for Beatties, and then back up to New Cavendish Street for W&H models. Somehwere along the line I would end up buying some Marklin trains, though it generally wouldn't be Hamleys as they were much more expensive

Been there, done all of that, too. All of my first Marklin came from Beatties and I still have the receipts, in £/s/d. It seems a lifetime ago.
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Robert Davies
Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 18 April 2017 15:01:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Robert Davies Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Been there, done all of that, too. All of my first Marklin came from Beatties and I still have the receipts, in £/s/d. It seems a lifetime ago.

I remember sending my Marklin locomotives in a parcel to Beatties for repair in the early seventies. They were also my source for Marklin catalogues and for running spares in those days. Until recently I still had my correspondence with them in storage at my late parents house, all neatly typed in formal English on my dad's ancient typewriter.

Locos sent for repairs would take months to get back to me. I guess in those days we were used to delays of that magnitude.

Ray
Offline Michael4  
#19 Posted : 18 April 2017 16:05:34(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
In the '80s the UK distributor was AM Richards from Epsom. He must have had a particularly good working relationship with Beatties.

I remember him being very helpful regarding repairs, parts etc.

Looking at an April '86 price list for the '85-'86 catalogue, I see that 3030 was £56.21 and 5100 was 85p.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline Rwill  
#20 Posted : 19 April 2017 11:00:06(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Was it Hamleys who had that incredible LGB/Guage1 "layout" that ran around the bannisters of a balcony that you could admire as you came up the escalator. I used to get distracted away from the railway stuff towards the RC models they had on demo and nearly made a life changing decision!

Of course before all that it was Gamages in Holborn that was the epicentre of all things model rail.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline RayF  
#21 Posted : 19 April 2017 11:03:41(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Yes I remember the LGB elevated track on the top floor of Hamleys. There might have been an earlier one on a lower floor.

Has anyone been in Portsmouth recently? The chocolate shop in Gunwharf Quays used to have an LGB layout running along the walls including a section outside the shop. Does anyone know if it's still there?
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Rwill  
#22 Posted : 19 April 2017 11:15:06(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
When we moved to our present house less than a mile away on the way to the kids school was a scruffy little shop in a secondary parade in Kenley cant remember the name where an old boy would sit at his bench surrounded by junk and clutter making up the most superb brass O gauge locomotives to a detail almost beyond belief with prices to match.

I used to wander in there when I had broken something M and ask what he could do to help. He would do the grumpy old man act and take the piece and "throw" it in the bin and mutter "German rubbish", then smile and fetch it to his bench and fix whatever I had broken. He never wanted to be paid -think he liked having someone to talk to. Then one day the shop remained shut and never opened again and for a couple of years it was still as it was inside the shop.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline artfull dodger  
#23 Posted : 28 May 2017 17:39:20(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
We are blessed with a few shops I would trust for repairs in the USA. I use Zionsville Train Depot for LGB repair work that goes above my ablities, and Ormandy's in Medina OH for Marklin work. Not sure how well he handles newer digital stuff, but he is excellent with the older analog stuff. He is old school German, speaks the language fluently and is full of wonderfull stories. Definatly a neat shop right on the courthouse square in downtown Medina, Ohio. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger