Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dickinsonj  
#1 Posted : 04 April 2017 19:07:11(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I am looking for an LED replacement for the bulb shown below. It does not have a screw base but just two wires. It is for an old 3356 BR 103 which I am updating and I would like to change the lighting to LEDs. I have seen LED replacement bulbs for the screw base type but not for these. The Märklin manual that came with the loco lists the original bulb as a 60010 but that is one with a screw base, so I am not sure what bulb I would need if I do decide to stick with incandescents.

Has anyone found a direct replacement or am I going to have to get creative to make this upgrade?

Thanks!

IMG_0370.JPGIMG_0372.JPG
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 04 April 2017 22:33:46(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
an LED will need a resistor as well.

If the decoder is supplying DC current you will not need a diode. If it is supplying AC/digital power to the light you will need to insert a diode.

The resistor (and diode) can be to the left of the mounting, well away from the light itself, wherever you have room.

Since an LED will not likely need replacing your modification need not maintain the plugability of the light.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Ross  
#3 Posted : 05 April 2017 00:03:14(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hello Jim,

Please have a look at my article (pages 6-9) shown below which may give you some ideas.

LED lighting

If you visit my web pages you will find lots of examples to upgrade to LED lighting.

Hope it helps.
Ross
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ross
Offline dickinsonj  
#4 Posted : 05 April 2017 01:33:17(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
an LED will need a resistor as well.

If the decoder is supplying DC current you will not need a diode. If it is supplying AC/digital power to the light you will need to insert a diode.

The resistor (and diode) can be to the left of the mounting, well away from the light itself, wherever you have room.

Since an LED will not likely need replacing your modification need not maintain the plugability of the light.

I know I need a resistor for the LEDs - what level of resistance do you recommend? It it not plugable now, so no worries there. I am installing a new mSD3 decoder, so it is not putting out any AC. I will need an array of LEDs though, since this bulb needs to shine in at least two directions for the headlights to work properly. That is something an old incandescent bulb has over any LED.

Thanks for the input!
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline dickinsonj  
#5 Posted : 05 April 2017 01:41:45(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
Hello Jim,

Please have a look at my article (pages 6-9) shown below which may give you some ideas.

LED lighting

If you visit my web pages you will find lots of examples to upgrade to LED lighting.

Hope it helps.

Thanks Ross.

I have seen your articles before but I had not yet located them. They should give me the info that I need to figure this out. I need to have light output upward toward the cab area and the top headlight and to the front and down for the light guide leading to the two lower headlights. That is something that you just get for free with an old fashioned incandescent. BigGrin

None of it is rocket science but it might wait until a little later, after I get the loco back up and running with its new "Hohenstaufen" coaches before I decide what to do about the lights.

Thanks again for the input.

Regards,
Jim

Offline Br502362  
#6 Posted : 05 April 2017 10:42:51(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline dickinsonj  
#7 Posted : 05 April 2017 13:07:07(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Br502362 Go to Quoted Post
Maybe this will help you?

Thanks Åke, that is exactly what I need to do!
Regards,
Jim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj