Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Donb  
#1 Posted : 02 April 2017 04:09:47(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Hi all,

I recently aquired a ' lightly used' BR81 from an eBayer in Germany.
Loco looks like new, terrific actually.
This one has the Delta decoder with dip switches.
Anyways, when running at less than 50% throttle it almost comes to a stop on r1 curves, then races ahead on the straights.
On the straights, i can slow it right down to crawl, very nice! But not on curves.
I cleaned the motor, everything looks good. Hmmmmm.
Is this the nature of this 4 axle loco with SFCM? Is it common for it to slow in turns like this? I doubt it, as i had one of these many years ago, it was a sweet little runner, but it had the solder bridge delta decoder. I should never have parted with it!!

Don
Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
Offline Donb  
#2 Posted : 02 April 2017 04:13:34(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
I should also add that the current draw is .4 to .5 A continously, even when it slows down.
Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 02 April 2017 04:51:15(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: Donb Go to Quoted Post
I should also add that the current draw is .4 to .5 A continously, even when it slows down.

just check the distance of your wheels, compare it with a carriage and you most probably will find the correct gauge has been altered

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Donb  
#4 Posted : 02 April 2017 05:18:08(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

just check the distance of your wheels, compare it with a carriage and you most probably will find the correct gauge has been altered

John

I measured the width between wheel flanges, and its the same as the carriages
Best Regards,
Don
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 02 April 2017 07:43:43(UTC)
H0

Hi, Don!
This one has the Delta decoder with dip switches.
Delta decoders do not have load regulation.
They provide a constant power to the motor. It is normal that the loco slows down on R1 curves or even on turnouts.

Load regulation is a sort of cruise control - the decoder will increase the power to the motor when the speed goes down and locos can crawl through R1 curves..

I'm not sure about BR 81, but some other Märklin models came one or two traction tyres.
A loco with just one traction tyre should have a lesser slowdown in curves than those with two traction tyres. Other aspects can also make a difference - like Delta Control vs. MS2.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 02 April 2017 10:37:16(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I agree with Tom,

I also have that Br81 from a starter set. My experience is that the Delta decoders are not very good under digital control. They are a bit better in analogue. Delta fitted locos are useful in that they allow the loco to run on a digital layout without conversion while you look at upgrade options.

I am slowly replacing the decoders in all my delta locomotives with load regulated ones. At the same time I change the field magnets in the motors to permanent magnet types, and where it is not too difficult I also change the armature to a 5 pole version.

For my Br81 I used the 60943 motor set and the decoder from a 60760 set. I runs so much better now, from a crawl to a realistic maximum speed, with no slowing on curves.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Donb  
#7 Posted : 02 April 2017 15:10:52(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
I have a Delta V36 loco and it does not slow on curves.
However. It is 3 axle, so perhaps it has an easier time in curves compared to the 4 axle Br 81.
I really like this version of the Br81 with its detailed slide valve gear. Ill look into upgrading the motor and decoder soon.
Thanks for the feedback! Very helpfull.

Don
Best Regards,
Don
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Donb
Offline Donb  
#8 Posted : 03 April 2017 22:23:43(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I agree with Tom,

For my Br81 I used the 60943 motor set and the decoder from a 60760 set. I runs so much better now, from a crawl to a realistic maximum speed, with no slowing on curves.

Hi Ray,

Did the conversion involve anything further than installing the motor set and decoder?
For example, did you have to change out the headlights?

Thanks,

Don

Best Regards,
Don
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 03 April 2017 22:33:37(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I agree with Tom,

Hi Ray,

Did the conversion involve anything further than installing the motor set and decoder?
For example, did you have to change out the headlights?

Thanks,

Don

No, this was a simple conversion. The motor set fitted with no additional work required, and I connected the decoder from a 60760 set as a direct replacement for the delta decoder. I made no changes to the headlights.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF