Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tom Koh  
#1 Posted : 25 March 2017 04:35:50(UTC)
Tom Koh

I acquired a Roco dummy SBB Re460 and I happily use it as the second loco in a double header train. I like to put train drivers in the cabs but I wonder ..is there a second driver in the second locomotive of a double header (in real life)? Hope someone knowledgeable in train operations can help.
Tom
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 25 March 2017 06:58:07(UTC)
H0

Hi, Tom,

In that configuration only one driver is needed.
But I think in rare cases there will be two drivers (if you add one and need an excuse).

I wouldn't add a train driver in the first place.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Tom Koh  
#3 Posted : 25 March 2017 16:43:24(UTC)
Tom Koh

Thank you for your information.
Just out of curiosity why wouldn't you "add a driver in the first place"? I find an operational train with whistles, lights and other sounds (and announcements)strange without a driver in the loco and passengers in the carriages.
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 26 March 2017 04:35:45(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: Tom Koh Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for your information.
Just out of curiosity why wouldn't you "add a driver in the first place"? I find an operational train with whistles, lights and other sounds (and announcements)strange without a driver in the loco and passengers in the carriages.

so long your loco always drives in the same direction

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 26 March 2017 07:24:47(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
There was a time and a place when model trains did not have drivers and modellers did not add prototypical couplers and hoses to the front of their locomotives. What we have gained in terms of appearance when the locomotive is at the front of the rake is the simple joy of being able to disconnect from one train, change tracks and pick up another train and head off in the other direction.
We must remember that most European electric and diesel locomotives have two cabs, one for each direction of travel and there is no rule that says a particular end has to be at the front.
North American trains, be it a F7, FP-9 or other locomotive, have a single cab, so that cab is at the front of the rake in almost all cases, except when the locomotive is used as a supplemental unit in that rake, in which case, the unused cab might face the coaches (rearward). The driver in the locomotive first appeared in North American models, but by the 1980s, had started to pop up in European models too.

Based on my Hag collection, I think that in the model world, there must be a lot of inbreeding in the ranks of HO Scale train drivers, as they all seem to look pretty much identical. I think that there might be one model where the driver has a slightly different hairline.

Here is a question… If you have a locomotive with a driver in the cab, do you always run the locomotive with that cab forwards? What do you do when you want that train to couple to a rake when the cab with the driver would then be at the rear end of the locomotive?

I might have a few consists, i.e. the Voralpen Express, where the locomotive is always at the head for a specific direction (i.e. St. Gallen to Luzern), but the direction of the locomotive is not necessarily preset unless it is done specifically per prototype, e.g. Re 4/4II 1st Series or Re 456 driven pantograph forward.

As far as passengers in the train, it was always more fun to imagine the people getting on or off the train and make up stories for them than to say look at the little people in the train.

You got to use your imagination and these issues become minor.

Specifically in regards to multiple Re 460 used in a train. Normally, the train would be controlled by the driver in the lead locomotive and there would be nobody in the other cabins. Some older classes (Ae 6/6) that were used as pusher locomotives in combination with other lok types required the presence of a driver, because the control systems were not compatible with remote control.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 26 March 2017 08:57:20(UTC)
H0

Just out of curiosity why wouldn't you "add a driver in the first place"?
My statement is ambiguous: I wouldn't add a driver to the dummy loco.
I like to have drivers in my loco and usually remove the model coupler on the side with the driver.

I have a Märklin loco that came with two factory-installed drivers - I moved one driver to a different loco as I don't see the point in having two drivers in both cabs of one loco.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Tom Koh  
#7 Posted : 26 March 2017 13:26:14(UTC)
Tom Koh

Thanks for all the viewpoints ..in the end the layout is our World and each of us can do whatever we like.
I would love to get a female driver ...just for a change ..ha ha
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tom Koh
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 26 March 2017 15:03:08(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Thanks for all the viewpoints ..in the end the layout is our World and each of us can do whatever we like.
I would love to get a female driver ...just for a change ..ha ha

get a blonde one, so if you have a derailment or accident you always can blame the blonde oneBigGrin

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 27 March 2017 08:50:28(UTC)
H0

I think I have a female train driver in my BLS loco:
UserPostedImage
Those Nochlings are so small and it does not make much difference.

For modern locos I use different seated figures as train driver. For era IV and earlier people with DB uniform will be preferred.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Tom Koh  
#10 Posted : 27 March 2017 09:48:49(UTC)
Tom Koh

Nice photo!!! The drivers are on the right (hmm i wonder whether British train drivers sit on the left?)
Offline Minok  
#11 Posted : 27 March 2017 20:06:46(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Well the club BR103.1 coming this year solves that with its pop-up drivers. For the rest of my German E-loks I don't think I'd put drivers in at all, or put them in both ends (as the locos will change direction and the forward cab can go from cab 1 to cab 2 back to cab 1 back to cab 2 as the train runs the layout from end to end.

With drivers in both ends, the one in the non-forward facing end wouldn't be very visible with cars coupled to it.

The problem I'm going to have to resolve is the Glass Train 37584
UserPostedImage

as it comes populated with passengers and driver, all facing one way, in a highly view-able interior, while the branch line I am planning has no way (yet) to rotate the engine around, so it would drive out of the station fine, head up a run, and then on the way back everyone (driver and passengers) would be facing backwards. But hey, thats part of the fun for me, trying to solve these problems... how to integrate a way to turn a single engine at stations along a zig-zag branch line.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 28 March 2017 08:17:24(UTC)
H0

The drivers are on the right (hmm i wonder whether British train drivers sit on the left?)
Swiss drivers sit on the left - at least in Swiss constructions.
Put them left in your Re 460. But I guess you have to put them right for Re 481, Re 482, and some others.

In Germany train drivers sit on the left when running a "class 66" loco. Those locos are very British, being made near London (Ontario) for the British clearance.

There is a standard side for each country, but there may be exceptions for some loco types.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Tom Koh  
#13 Posted : 28 March 2017 09:00:12(UTC)
Tom Koh

Thanks so much ... the amount of knowledge from this forum is great!!
Offline Minok  
#14 Posted : 28 March 2017 19:38:10(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The drivers are on the right (hmm i wonder whether British train drivers sit on the left?)
Swiss drivers sit on the left - at least in Swiss constructions.
Put them left in your Re 460. But I guess you have to put them right for Re 481, Re 482, and some others.

In Germany train drivers sit on the left when running a "class 66" loco. Those locos are very British, being made near London (Ontario) for the British clearance.

There is a standard side for each country, but there may be exceptions for some loco types.

I'd expect the drivers to sit on the side mandated for the system they are on to ensure they have the correct visibility of signals and the platform side and track side signals.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 28 March 2017 21:48:34(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
I'd expect the drivers to sit on the side mandated for the system they are on to ensure they have the correct visibility of signals and the platform side and track side signals.
Yes, but the locos have one place for the driver.
When "class 66"operates in Germany, drivers have to stop farther away from the red signal because they sit on the wrong side and don't have good sight on the signal from their seat.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Bones  
#16 Posted : 30 March 2017 12:42:32(UTC)
Bones

Australia   
Sorry didn't read the post properly

The answer to your question is NO for electric or diesel trains but YES for steam because they had no way of controlling both loco's

In Europe it is quite common to see driver only trains

I don't know in what year they finally got rid of the Observer in Europe but in Australia we still have a driver and observer in a lot of our trains, mostly freight

So you could put 2 people at the front if you wanted

How ever you would have to turn the loco either via a wye or turntable to ensure the driver was always at the front

Also multiple unit lash ups don't need more than one driver because the electronics allows them to be operated via the front unit

I have travelled in the NSWGR 46 class and they have a special setting for multiple unit running

Edited by user 20 April 2017 04:07:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified