Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harvey  
#1 Posted : 24 March 2017 21:49:00(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
I just received the train. Beautiful in appearance and running. But it seems to derail easily.

I have M tract with both 5200 and 5100 curve tracks. I derails or shorts easily on both. My sense is that the slider in front and back have two issues (after watching it derail on a flat 5200 curve).
Thought 1 is the slider seems relatively strong or the weight of the car is relative light and so the slider will easily push up and the front wheels will derail.
Thought 2 is that the slider is too long, possibly touching the return rails and causing shorts

I believe my first though is the issue. I have pressed down on the slider (so that it gives less lift). I would like to add weight inside the car but it's a challenge to open - no screws and no picture on how to open. ANy instructions would be appreciated.

Also, is there another (shorter) slider that could work?

Regards
Harvey
Offline Harvey  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2017 00:01:46(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
While I have not been able to fix this problem I have made progress. I wrapped a rubber band around the nose of lead and rear car, compressing the pick up shoe. This has resulted in less lift of the nose when the car enters a curve (5200 or 5100). When I retested, I had less derailments. But still some. I have wrapped a rubber band again and will let it stay there another day or so. I also notice the lead wheels don't have much turning radius as the skirt restricts the wheels (boggy). I don't think this is a cause of the issue - just tight engineering.

I have not tried to open the front/rear car. No idea how to.

Harvey
Offline baggio  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2017 01:53:25(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Harvey:

Have you considered speaking/writing to the seller?

Also, is it possible that the culprit is the M track you are using?

Do you have any C track at all to see if the train does derail on C track? Perhaps a friend's layout?

If the problem is with the M track you are using, perhaps a knowledgeable dealer could suggest a replacement for your slider.

If the train derails on C track, then you should return it immediately. I have just bought an Ice 2 train and it does not derail on C track radius 1 (your M track 5100).

You bought a beautiful train at a high price and it just seems to me that you should be able to enjoy it.

I believe that all of your efforts are not likely to last in the long run and the derailing issue needs to be resolved by a professional.

Just my usual 2 cents' worth.

Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 01 April 2017 02:38:29(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Harvey Go to Quoted Post
I just received the train. Beautiful in appearance and running. But it seems to derail easily.

I have M tract with both 5200 and 5100 curve tracks. I derails or shorts easily on both. My sense is that the slider in front and back have two issues (after watching it derail on a flat 5200 curve).
Thought 1 is the slider seems relatively strong or the weight of the car is relative light and so the slider will easily push up and the front wheels will derail.
Thought 2 is that the slider is too long, possibly touching the return rails and causing shorts

I believe my first though is the issue. I have pressed down on the slider (so that it gives less lift). I would like to add weight inside the car but it's a challenge to open - no screws and no picture on how to open.
ANy instructions would be appreciated.

Also, is there another (shorter) slider that could work?

Regards
Harvey

Harvey,

you did not mention whether you bought this from a dealer or whether you acquired it from another source (ebay, etc)?
If you just received the model from a dealer, I would consider first contacting the dealer and then sending it back.

If the item came from ebay or other source and you don't know if the model is brand new and does not come with a warranty, your options are to return it or to follow whatever options you might be entitled to through the purchase mechanism.

The ICE 3 is a model where the motor is in one of the intermediate coaches and the end cars are pilot coaches that have sliders. The 3070/3071 RAm TEE had an issue with the pilot coach, where the coach would derail as there was insufficient weight to maintain the slider bogie on the tracks over switch tracks and in curves. It is possible that the ICE 3 has a similar problem.

The first thing that I would recommend is to carefully inspect the pilot coaches. Make sure that the slider is properly clipped in and that it is aligned so that it remains in the middle of the track when the bogie is pivoting. If the slider is out of alignment, it can contact the railbed or rail and interfere with the movement of the bogie. Make sure that the slider has enough play so that it can absorb changes in height of the third rail pukos. If it is too rigid, it will serve to lift the bogie off the rails.

This diagram shows how to open the ICE 3 coach bodies: Opening ICE.pdf (95kb) downloaded 43 time(s). Should be Page 26 of your instructions

At this point, I would not recommend applying any elastic bands as this can damage the paint and be a cause for rejecting a return.

Other potential causes of derailments can include bent rails, bent track sections and other track deformities.
Make sure that the rails are aligned and that there is not a junction between two track sections where the track is not properly aligned. If one of the rails is pointing to the inside or outside, it can cause trains to derail, starting with the more sensitive rolling stock, like a lightweight pushed pilot coach.
This can be seen by examining the track to see if the rails and joiners like up with the black line on the surface of the track segment.
Check to see that all of the track sections have the proper profile. It can occur that a M track section can be either bent inwards or bent outwards. This can be seen if a track section appears wider or narrower than adjacent tracks when viewed from above and the track surface part of the segment is either concave or convex.
Check to see if there is surface damage to the track section between the rails at the extremities. This kind of damage can push the centre studs higher, which can push on the slider and cause it to reach a tipping point where the coach leaves the tracks.

Take the trainset, connect only the motor coach and the pilot coaches and run some tests on your track.
1) Run the trainset clockwise. Does the train derail when entering the front or rear curve or both?
2) Run the trainset counterclockwise. Does the train derail as well?
3) Remove the trainset from the tracks and position it on the rails inverted 180 degrees. Perform tests 1 and 2 again

On the older coaches and locomotives, it was normally possible to remove the slider and reinstall it reversed 180 degrees.
On newer models, the sliders are mounted with clips that can only be inserted in one direction, so this makes it more difficult.

If you are considering returning the model, do not proceed any further.

If AND ONLY IF you decide that you are keeping the model, you can make the following adjustment (once you have ruled out track based issues).
To reduce the downward force of the slider, take a pair of pliers and grab the left leg of the slider. Twist the pliers gently clockwise. Grab the right leg of the slider and twist the leg counter clockwise using similar force. This should hopefully reduce the height of the slider and may help improve performance.
DO NOT exert too much force as this can damage the slider. Optimally, the legs should be straight, without any curvature, so this should be done only if it is already slightly bent and you want to try to correct it.

If the model is new and you want to see what you can try before returning it, send an email to service(at)maerklin.de and outline the problem.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Harvey  
#5 Posted : 01 April 2017 16:00:07(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Mike

Thank you for the multiple suggestions. I did buy this from a dealer and I really enjoy watching this model go around the layout - just seems so different and exciting from other items. As with other locs, each seems to be sensitive on various parts of the layout and so I spend time observing and tweaking. I will continue to do this. I made progress with the rubber band - less derailments. I will print out your list of ideas and try each.

My general observation is that the front and rear cars are light and so are easily pushed up by the slider and so 'near perfect connections' are a must. Other than the rubber band solutions (and of course, the tracks), I have thought about adding a weight over the slider - the need to open the car. Will look at that as well.

Thanks again.

Regards
Harvey
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 01 April 2017 19:32:09(UTC)
H0

Hi, Harvey,

The rubber band solution is somewhat innovative.
The standard procedure is using a small pair of pliers or tweezers to adjust the brass springs that press the slider onto the centre rail.
I don't have derailing issues with my ICE 3 #37781, but I had the derailing problem with a Silberling control coach - adjusting the springs to reduce the pressure resolved the issue for me.

Adding weight would be a workaround IMHO.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline baggio  
#7 Posted : 01 April 2017 20:30:46(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Adding weight would be a workaround IMHO.

How would you do that, HO, without making the loco look bad?

I am asking because I may like to do that to one or two my locos, not the ice Train.

Thanks.
Offline Harvey  
#8 Posted : 02 April 2017 00:24:57(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
I have never added weight to a loc but my thought is that a small metal (careful not to short) item over the wheels. Lead is very dense and so a small piece would be heavy. But this is just my brainstorming. However, space would be a challenge in most locs I have not opened the 37788 but assume the front and rear car is relatively empty. But for now I will try my rubber band solution and bending the slider as suggested.

Totally different topic - years ago I had an issue with 2 sine locs- the speaker is at the bottom and has a relatively strong magnet. That activated my reed switches. After some research, I read (I recall) nickle interferes with magnetic fields. I purchase a small piece of flat nickle and taped in under the speaker. Solved the problem. Interestly, when I was at the Marklin last year and 'built' my own loc, I realized the speaker was also at the bottom. I mentioned this to a staff member - his initial comment was that the speaker location would not cause any problem. I asked about reed switches and he seemed to indicate there could be a problem. I have some nickle left, if it causes the reeds to activate, problem solved.

Regards
Harvey
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Harvey
Offline Minok  
#9 Posted : 03 April 2017 23:33:53(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Adding lead weight over the wheelsets may help the train be more stable and allow for whatever track issues exist, rather than addressing the track.

As the springs, being of spring steel, are designed to keep their forces over time, not sure within what limits one can adjust the springs.. and then you end up with weaker springs which might later need to be replaced if factory strong forces are required.

Lead can be purchased in sheets to be cut with a sharp knife and shaped/installed inside the end cars. For example: https://www.amazon.com/s...i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Alead+sheet

Or fishing weights could be used. Just keep it away from children and wash our hands after touching.. the normal safety precautions.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline seatrains  
#10 Posted : 04 April 2017 16:38:57(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
Our friends at the NMRA have been adding weight for years to make cars more stable. Maybe their guide can be of help.
http://www.nmra.org/beginner/weight
BigGrin
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
Offline Minok  
#11 Posted : 04 April 2017 19:18:12(UTC)
Minok

United States   
And if I did my math right (someone double check), then to do the NMRA's work of someday, here is the table and also the metric version in grams and mm.

Capture.PNG

Of course, this is for cars and not locomotives, and based on locomotives pulling/pushing the cars.

For the ICE where the ends are cars (with a middle locomotive pushing and pulling the train simultaneously) that may still apply, but the NRMA computation doesn't account for the slider forces pushing up on the cars.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 04 April 2017 21:09:09(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
As the springs, being of spring steel, are designed to keep their forces over time, not sure within what limits one can adjust the springs
It is spring brass (Federmessing) AFAIK. It is easy to bend it into a new shape to reduce or increase the tension.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0