Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Gregzim  
#1 Posted : 23 March 2017 11:50:12(UTC)
Gregzim

Australia   
The lovely looking red Class 610 diesel rail car from Marklin Nr. 37761 is early digital and I bought it new way back then and like many of my models eventually (now 2017) decide to take them out of the display cabinet and set out to run them.

I always lubricate these models as they have sat since new for many years often and 99% of the time - away they go and we enjoy them for a while - but once in a while and nearly always rails cars or EMU's seems to be problematic on curves.

This one is really problematic. Any curve of any radius can be a derailing issue. Sometimes always on a particular corner, sometimes once in a while on that curve but OK other times and so it goes on. It ran one circuit fine about ten times but now derails on nearly every curve on the same circuit - suggesting something is not constant in its assembly somewhere.

I openned up the car as the bogies/trucks just dont appear to turn smoothly and the motorised bogies/trucks (the leading ones) derail more than the others and what I found is this truck is pivoted or hung in a weird boomerang style slot on each side of the motor ??. this curved slot causes the trucks to swing upwards and downwards when the truck turns and throws the truck sides up into the car body lower edge. What clown at Marklin thought this design up !!

Ive never seen such a strange design - has anyone else ever had turning issues with this model and if so did you ever find a way to fix the issues?

All thoughts appreciated thanks.

Rgds

Greg

T
Offline Unholz  
#2 Posted : 23 March 2017 15:27:52(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: Gregzim Go to Quoted Post
What clown at Marklin thought this design up !!

It may not have been a clown but an attempt to reproduce the curve tilting mechanism of the prototype as an additional feature when operating the model.

Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 23 March 2017 15:34:33(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Gregzim Go to Quoted Post
The lovely looking red Class 610 diesel rail car from Marklin Nr. 37761 is early digital and I bought it new way back then and like many of my models eventually (now 2017) decide to take them out of the display cabinet and set out to run them.

I always lubricate these models as they have sat since new for many years often and 99% of the time - away they go and we enjoy them for a while - but once in a while and nearly always rails cars or EMU's seems to be problematic on curves.

This one is really problematic. Any curve of any radius can be a derailing issue. Sometimes always on a particular corner, sometimes once in a while on that curve but OK other times and so it goes on. It ran one circuit fine about ten times but now derails on nearly every curve on the same circuit - suggesting something is not constant in its assembly somewhere.

I openned up the car as the bogies/trucks just dont appear to turn smoothly and the motorised bogies/trucks (the leading ones) derail more than the others and what I found is this truck is pivoted or hung in a weird boomerang style slot on each side of the motor ??. this curved slot causes the trucks to swing upwards and downwards when the truck turns and throws the truck sides up into the car body lower edge. What clown at Marklin thought this design up !!

Ive never seen such a strange design - has anyone else ever had turning issues with this model and if so did you ever find a way to fix the issues?

All thoughts appreciated thanks.

Rgds

Greg

T

Ah! The famous 37761!

This is a model of the "Pendolino" tilting body regional railcar that the DB put in service in the mid 1990's with the intent to accelerate the regional services on curvy lines by 20 km/h, without changing the infrastructure/trackage.
I rode it , in its early days between Nürnberg and Bayreuth.
I was very impressed with a 160 km/h / 100+ mph top speed on a regional line. I even witnessed an emergency braking and I must say I will never forget that episode! Scared (I have it somewhere recorded on an Hi8 video cassette!)

The model is supposed to mimic the tilting , and this was achieved with this somewhat unusual mechanism you describe.
And to be fair, the "clown" you mention was not at Marklin, since the original design was made at Fleischmann, (noticed the plastic bogies, the unusual contact blades and very small headlight bulbs?? Wink )
(Let's "recognition" go to those who truly deserve it!) Laugh
Märklin merely adapted the motor bogie to accept a motor of their own design.

I have of course that model in its original light grey/turquoise livery (3476), duly upgraded with a Loksound decoder and a 5-pole motor.
And it runs beautifully, always has.

So let's try to understand what's wrong with yours!
Only the two bogies on the extremities have the "dreaded" Wink tilting mechanism.

The ones in the center are (should be) very "loose" and (soft) spring loaded.

The cars are connected with an elongating mechanism, which sould also be moving perfectly smoothly

Now, if you remove the bodies (two long screws under the chassis) you'll discover the boomerang shaped slots on each sides of the chassis (My guess is that should be a familiar shape for someone down under, no? Wink )

The bogie should turn and tilt *totally* freely and smoothly.
If it doesn't , clean up the contact surfaces, including the slots with a small drop of lighter fluid.
Finish the job with a *small* amount of light grease (the white PTFE base stuff) on the contact surfaces and the boomerang slots

Test run it without the bodies on.

Better?
Can you tell I like this model? Cool

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 23 March 2017 21:16:19(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Moved thread to 'H0' forum - doesn't really belong in 'Loco Reviews'.
Offline fossie  
#5 Posted : 24 March 2017 00:29:01(UTC)
fossie

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Moved thread to 'H0' forum - doesn't really belong in 'Loco Reviews'.

Hi

I have one of these models and had the issue with the motor bogie derailing on curves. I found the issue is the motor resisters catching on the plastic body. The solution was to bend them slightly so they don't catch on the plastic body.

Andy
Offline Gregzim  
#6 Posted : 24 March 2017 04:35:22(UTC)
Gregzim

Australia   
Thanks Guys - all good suggestions and I will carry these out. Glad you noticed the link between my description of "boomerang slot" and where I Live :) The slot mimics the boomerang shape perfectly !!

The two middle trucks never derail. The motorised one all the time and the one at the other end when its the forward moving truck (IE"being pushed along rather than pulled along)

Rgds

Greg