Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Soest  
#1 Posted : 22 March 2017 18:24:42(UTC)
Soest

I have tried 7152 but they are not wide enough. Marklin catalogues from the late 50's specify 7149 but this number has now been appropriated for an oiler. Anybody know where I can get the correct tires. Thanks.

Mike
Why do grown men play with trains?
Their wives insist they are insane
But their dreams they won't let down the drain
'Cause there ain't no thing so hard to lose as those disappearing railway blues.
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 23 March 2017 05:56:12(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Soest Go to Quoted Post
I have tried 7152 but they are not wide enough. Marklin catalogues from the late 50's specify 7149 but this number has now been appropriated for an oiler. Anybody know where I can get the correct tires. Thanks.

Mike

I don't have any personal experience with that model but you could try Ritter Restoration?

https://www.ritter-restaurationen.de/

Although they don't show the Tyre, they do show replacement wheelsets although replacing all the wheels is very much an overkill if they are ok.

I assume the replacement wheels would be machined to suit the recommended 7152?

How much are they too narrow by?

The original part number was 496/22, I've tried various searches against that to see if the question has been asked elsewhere but no luck. It's possibly come up on one of the German forums before.

Doesn't it just rip your shorts when companies 'reassign' an old part number to a totally different item! - I mean what's the point in that? faller did it with a number of items and it's not like there was a shortage of numbers they could use instead.

Unless of course 7149 was actually a mis-print in which case we must forgive.

Otherwise, you might need to wait for one of the 'real' experts here to provide an answer.

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Markus Schild  
#3 Posted : 23 March 2017 21:05:41(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Mike,

7149 is right. But these were the classic, transparent Nylon rings. Not the rubber - type known today. Even if you would find some old stock, they became so hard that you cannot mount them any more.

7152 should fit and it is known problem, that examples from newer production are to narrow. 7152 from the 1960s and the 1970s are wider, but the problem is the same than at the old nylon wheels. They are not flexible any more. Some years ago I was happy to find some old stock of 7153 for my 3023/24. But it was wasted money. Even in the sealed bag they became hard.

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Soest  
#4 Posted : 25 March 2017 02:58:40(UTC)
Soest

Thanks very much, Markus and Steve. The 7152 are narrow enough that they tend to roll off the rim. I looked at Ritter but they seem to just sell the wheels but perhaps I should ask the question.

Mike
'Cause there ain't no thing so hard to lose as those disappearing railway blues.
Offline smurfillo  
#5 Posted : 25 March 2017 09:57:07(UTC)
smurfillo

Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi Mike,

7149 is right. But these were the classic, transparent Nylon rings. Not the rubber - type known today. Even if you would find some old stock, they became so hard that you cannot mount them any more.

7152 should fit and it is known problem, that examples from newer production are to narrow. 7152 from the 1960s and the 1970s are wider, but the problem is the same than at the old nylon wheels. They are not flexible any more. Some years ago I was happy to find some old stock of 7153 for my 3023/24. But it was wasted money. Even in the sealed bag they became hard.

Regards

Markus

My F-800 run well with the ring 7152 and has the same SK800 wheel
Offline Soest  
#6 Posted : 25 March 2017 19:35:23(UTC)
Soest

The Ritter drive wheel sets are for the earlier SK800's which had no traction tires. TTN Internet Shop offers a set with traction tires but at Euros 60 is an expensive fix. Perhaps the wheels are made to fit the 7152 tires.

Mike
Offline MalinAC  
#7 Posted : 26 March 2017 09:20:43(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
I wonder would it be possible to soak the old hardened rings in hot water for a bit and then put them on the wheels. It might soften them enough. Eddie
Offline cookee_nz  
#8 Posted : 26 March 2017 09:50:19(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Soest Go to Quoted Post
Thanks very much, Markus and Steve. The 7152 are narrow enough that they tend to roll off the rim. I looked at Ritter but they seem to just sell the wheels but perhaps I should ask the question.

Mike

Ok, so how about putting one 7152 on, fit it very carefully so that it is absolutely even, then using a new razor blade (held absolutely straight) rotate the wheels so that you cut about half of it (or however much you need to trim) off and then fit a second 7152 alongside - could that work?

There's always a way round these things.

So if it was me, I would put the loco upside down in a soft foam cradle so that it is held firmly. Then fit the tyre to the wheel, then using a couple of test wires, one to the frame and one to the pickup shoe get the motor running and the wheels turning. You should be able to tell at a slow speed if the tyre is flush with the flange so that you will achieve a smooth flat cut.

Then carefully bring the blade down onto the tyre and simply trim it. Easy, Would take just seconds.

Regards

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Soest  
#9 Posted : 26 March 2017 20:10:33(UTC)
Soest

Thanks, Cookee. I will try the 7152 again. It did occur to me to try two.

Mike