Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dickinsonj  
#101 Posted : 12 May 2017 01:35:44(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: mb300e4m Go to Quoted Post
I have spent a good part of the day googling for suppliers. I did find one who supplies what is probably the right gauge stranded wire for a great price; 100 feet for less than $6 USD in just about any colour one would need for wiring decoders. I have ordered some and if it works out, I will post a link here for others members on this side of the planet or anywhere else for that matter.

Best regards to all at marklin-users.net.

Peter B.

Hi Peter,

I use Del City here in the US for all of my bulk wire orders. They provide excellent products, prices and service, although I have never bought wire that fine from them, so they may not carry what you need.

Let us know who you went with and how it worked out.

Thanks
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline franciscohg  
#102 Posted : 12 May 2017 02:01:43(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi Peter, there was no wire spare of the adapter plate?
They are very looooooong ones...
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline mb300e4m  
#103 Posted : 12 May 2017 15:53:23(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: ixldoc Go to Quoted Post
Hi Peter,
I use ESU wire AWG 36 which comes in 10 metre lengths and ten colours ( used in DCC work).
They are in the ESU catalogue but I buy mine from our local retailer in Brisbane ( Australia).
The code is 519xx eg 51941 is purple.
For what it's worth the address on the cardboard insert in each packet is ESU LLC ,112 Pine Ave E, PO Box 77, Upsala MN 56384.
I looked up Upsala MN in Google and it seems a small town but that is the address on the packets.
Regards,
Howard.

Thanks Howard, I am thinking seriously thinking about following up on the ESU wire as my first choice so I will contact my ESU supplier. Even if he does not have it in stock, he can get it for me in a few days. His prices are decent too. If you buy a decoder from him, you can get a discount on others and free shipping for a year.

Regards,

Peter B.
Peter B.
In Sunny Florida most of the time.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
Offline mb300e4m  
#104 Posted : 12 May 2017 15:56:38(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
I have spent a good part of the day googling for suppliers. I did find one who supplies what is probably the right gauge stranded wire for a great price; 100 feet for less than $6 USD in just about any colour one would need for wiring decoders. I have ordered some and if it works out, I will post a link here for others members on this side of the planet or anywhere else for that matter.

Peter B.

Hi Peter,

I use Del City here in the US for all of my bulk wire orders. They provide excellent products, prices and service, although I have never bought wire that fine from them, so they may not carry what you need.

Thanks

Thanks Jim, I will contact them and let you know if they carry the wire. I am going with the ESU variety as a first choice from my ESU retailer, but a backup is always useful.

Regards,

Peter B.
Peter B.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
Offline mb300e4m  
#105 Posted : 12 May 2017 16:23:06(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Hi Peter, there was no wire spare of the adapter plate?
They are very looooooong ones...
Regards

Hi Francisco,

I do have a few off-cuts of the adapter wire and I also left some slack in the connected wires tucked away in the tender body just in case I ever need to pull the adapter out from the body without having to disconnect everything. I decided that as it looks like I am getting into digital in possibly a big way, I might as well stock up on some essential supplies.

All but one of the local "Radio Shack" shops closed recently so I made several trips there to buy parts and pieces that I could use now or in the future. I bought an extra soldering iron, one that is variable from 20 to 50 watts, my Ungar solder station which is about 40 years old is too powerful for delicate work. The price on the variable one was about 80% off. My Ungar gets to over 370 degrees Celsius when fully warmed up, much too hot for PC board work.

I will keep you posted on the ESU wire, I will be contacting my ESU retailer today.

Regards,

Peter B.

Peter B.
Offline mb300e4m  
#106 Posted : 12 May 2017 16:38:03(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

Peter B.

Hi Peter,

Thanks

Thanks Jim, I will contact them and let you know if they carry the wire. I am going with the ESU variety as a first choice from my ESU retailer, but a backup is always useful.

Regards,

Peter B.

Hi again Jim, I checked with Del City, they do not carry wire that small.

Regards,

Peter B.
Peter B.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mb300e4m
Offline mb300e4m  
#107 Posted : 13 May 2017 20:58:30(UTC)
mb300e4m

Progress Report. The relay is in and connected. The solder connections are not very pretty as I am having trouble with the eyes today and did not use an arm rest when soldering, so the hands were a bit shaky...it is an age thing and comes to many of us. Have you ever tried turning something on a wood lathe without a tool rest, it can be a mess.

The next step is reassembly and testing.

P5131310.JPG
Peter B.
Offline mb300e4m  
#108 Posted : 13 May 2017 22:55:20(UTC)
mb300e4m

On the test track. I could not find the smoke function at first, it was on the second function screen, I had to use the shift button to find it.

Here she is smoking away merrily. ThumpUp She is a keeper.

P5131311.JPG

Thanks go to everyone for all the help, suggestions and advice. BigGrin

Peter B.
Peter B.
Offline franciscohg  
#109 Posted : 13 May 2017 23:50:52(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Great! You will ser that it only becomes easier, you will want to undertake bigger projects, just go full steam ahead!
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline mb300e4m  
#110 Posted : 14 May 2017 18:58:47(UTC)
mb300e4m

Great! You will see that it only becomes easier, you will want to undertake bigger projects, just go full steam ahead!

Thanks Francisco for your encouragement, my next project hopefully, apart from loading the sound file will be a plug and play job. I have two Australian Garratts, one with a QSI decoder and one DCC ready with an 8 pin adapter board of unknown origin. It came from the factory that way. Being DCC ready all I should have to do is to remove the existing plug, then plug in the decoder plug. I am thinking about using an ESU 64400 V4.0 M4 decoder. This upgrade ought to be easy, only time will tell. I need to order the decoder this coming this week.

P8015833.JPG

Peter B.
Peter B.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mb300e4m
Offline kiwiAlan  
#111 Posted : 15 May 2017 00:38:09(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Great! You will see that it only becomes easier, you will want to undertake bigger projects, just go full steam ahead!

Thanks Francisco for your encouragement, my next project hopefully, apart from loading the sound file will be a plug and play job. I have two Australian Garratts, one with a QSI decoder and one DCC ready with an 8 pin adapter board of unknown origin. It came from the factory that way. Being DCC ready all I should have to do is to remove the existing plug, then plug in the decoder plug. I am thinking about using an ESU 64400 V4.0 M4 decoder. This upgrade ought to be easy, only time will tell. I need to order the decoder this coming this week.

Peter B.

If you have a Lokprogrammer maybe you should research what a guy on the yahoo Loksound group is doing. He has put Loksound decoders in Garratt models and has tweaked his sound file so that he can simulate wheel slip between the two motive units.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline mb300e4m  
#112 Posted : 15 May 2017 01:17:55(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Peter B.

If you have a Lokprogrammer maybe you should research what a guy on the yahoo Loksound group is doing. He has put Loksound decoders in Garratt models and has tweaked his sound file so that he can simulate wheel slip between the two motive units.

Thanks Alan, coincidentally I joined that group recently and was in contact with him today.

Best regards,

Peter B.

Peter B.
Offline mb300e4m  
#113 Posted : 03 July 2017 00:27:52(UTC)
mb300e4m

On the test track. I could not find the smoke function at first, it was on the second MS2 function screen, I had to use the shift button to find it.

Here she is smoking away merrily. ThumpUp She is a keeper.

P5131311.JPG

Thanks go to everyone for all the help, suggestions and advice. BigGrin

Peter B.

After I had completed this project and had her functioning and responding to one of my Mobile Station 2 units, she no longer does. I took her to a show on Saturday, set up the layout and the Marklin MS2 units, put her on the track then she gave out a brief hiss from the speaker then nothing.

Today at the house I put her on the test track and connected the ESU Lokprogrammer and found all the settings were just as they were when first programmed. I selected the "Cab" and found she functioned as expected, all sounds, speed controls and smoke were all OK.

I shut down the programmer then hooked up the same MS2 that I used at the show. With her on the track, all she did was hiss no matter which loco position of the 10 I chose, even where there was no loco she still hissed. I deleted the settings for this loco then found I could not add the loco back no matter what I tried.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Peter B.

P.S. Should I start a new thread for this?
Peter B.
Offline franciscohg  
#114 Posted : 03 July 2017 03:00:33(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi Peter, sad to hear. have you checked the loco for any short? If so have you tried to reset the MS2? Or register the unit with other MS2?
Regards
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline mb300e4m  
#115 Posted : 03 July 2017 14:39:57(UTC)
mb300e4m

Hi Peter, sad to hear. have you checked the loco for any short? If so have you tried to reset the MS2? Or register the unit with other MS2?
Regards

Good morning Francisco,

This is what I found. I checked all the Lokprogrammer settings and found all was normal and the loco works fine when I use the "cab" feature on the ESU Lokprogrammer. When I attached the MS2 to the test track all that happened was the loco hissed at me. I did a reset of the MS2 which cleared out all memory settings then as if by magic the BR 53 appeared in memory position 1 without any help from me and now functions normally.

It seemed the MS2 was confused, but a reset cured that. Hopefully all will be well now, only time will tell. I have a record of which locos were in each memory position so I can add them back as needed. I must say the new decoder is a vast improvement over the original.

Thanks very much for the suggestion, I appreciate it very much. ThumpUp ThumpUp

Best regards,

Peter B.
Peter B.