Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Falconrep  
#1 Posted : 22 December 2005 02:44:24(UTC)
Falconrep

United States   
I have a 3680 Kof II switcher that I can't quite figure out. Apparently it has the ability to detect whether it's conventional or digital, is fixed with it's code of 59 at the factory, and has lights in the cab that can be switched on or off with the function key.
Here's the problem, it seems to work OK in conventional mode. But in digital it does nothing on channel 59 as assigned. But I tried starting at one and worked my way up. At 65 all of a sudden it took off. Running in reverse. I turned down the power and while it slowed it did not stop. Then I reversed it and it continues in the reverse direction but slower than it did at the top speed in the other direction. The function key does not turn the lights on or off. So all it does is go in reverse regardless of what I try and do. Now here's another thing. I tried other channels, and when I went to 66 I noticed that it would continue to run (Still in reverse) but I saw lights. But they went off, then I noticed that the lights seem to flicker when I wiggle the power control knob when it's running backwards in reverse. Any ideas as to what is going on? And why it works in conventional but not in digital?Smile
Thomas Wondrock
Offline laalves  
#2 Posted : 22 December 2005 03:04:25(UTC)
laalves

I would suspect that its decoder continues to partially believe that it is in conventional mode when you put in on digital power.

Now, the only advice I have to you, short of rushing to your dealer and order a new decoder for it (if you do, take the opportunity to try a different, better decoder, such as a superb Viessmann for scale N that also runs on Motorola), is to open the little bugger and check for defective cabling.

If one of the motor wires is kinked and touching ground, things like that may happen. This being the case, it may also have permanently damaged the decoder.

Luis
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 23 December 2005 01:29:48(UTC)
H0

Another thing you might check: did you switch the red and brown cables between controller and track?
Most decoders automatically handle this correctly, but some don't.
I've had this problem with one decoder that responded to the wrong address and did everything wrong - until I switched cables back. (Forget this post if you use the ugly box ...)
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline laalves  
#4 Posted : 23 December 2005 02:21:13(UTC)
laalves

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by h-zero
<br />Another thing you might check: did you switch the red and brown cables between controller and track?
Most decoders automatically handle this correctly, but some don't.
I've had this problem with one decoder that responded to the wrong address and did everything wrong - until I switched cables back. (Forget this post if you use the ugly box ...)

Yeah, just a few minutes ago that happened to me with a customer lok with an old 6080!

Luis