Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline bugsmasher  
#1 Posted : 20 February 2017 18:18:37(UTC)
bugsmasher

United States   
For space reasons, I am switching to 2-rail DC n-scale for my home layout (but staying with HO-AC for portable club modules).

1. Who are the major non-US manufacturers of n-scale DC sound/digital (DCC) model locomotives and wagons in addition to Trix and Kato?

2. My impression is that there is far greater standardization in n-scale to Rapido couplers. Am I correct? What coupler does Marklin-Trix use?

3. Does any manufacturer (other than Arnold long ago) produce n-scale steam locomotives with smoke generators?

Edited by user 20 February 2017 21:40:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 20 February 2017 21:44:07(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Re 1: Fleischmann and Piko come to mind (both offer sound locos).
And the brand Arnold is still around, but I found no sound locos on their site.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 21 February 2017 00:20:25(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Arnold has a few locos that are quoted as DC/DCC/Sound. This one looks nice!

http://www.hornbyinterna...-class-42-of-the-dr.html

UserPostedImage
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline dzug  
#4 Posted : 21 February 2017 00:46:48(UTC)
dzug

Canada   
Originally Posted by: bugsmasher Go to Quoted Post
For space reasons, I am switching to 2-rail DC n-scale for my home layout (but staying with HO-AC for portable club modules).

1. Who are the major non-US manufacturers of n-scale DC sound/digital (DCC) model locomotives and wagons in addition to Trix and Kato?

2. My impression is that there is far greater standardization in n-scale to Rapido couplers. Am I correct? What coupler does Marklin-Trix use?

3. Does any manufacturer (other than Arnold long ago) produce n-scale steam locomotives with smoke generators?

1. IMHO the best brands are Minitrix and Fleischmann with Piko, Liliput and Brawa close behind. The big thing to do is look for new tooling from any manufacturer. Trix still has older tooling in the lineup that has less than perfect running characteristics. Anything new by Trix or Fleischmann tends to be amazing in my experience.

2. Most are rapido and they work well enough as long as your track is well laid. There are alternatives such a the Fleischmann Profi coupler and most rolling stock and locos these days use couple pockets that make changing couplers easy. I have mainly used rapido as it is not work doing the surgery on my older stock to fit the Profile couplers.

3. I have not seen any smoke generators for N in 15 years of modelling since I switched from Marklin HO.
Offline Karl Gunnar Sjöqvist  
#5 Posted : 21 February 2017 22:28:45(UTC)
Karl Gunnar Sjöqvist

Originally Posted by: bugsmasher Go to Quoted Post

I'm considering the same step from H0 to N for space reason. Right now I have a collection of rolling stock in H0 that is just collecting dust because I have no layout. I had a small oval of track, but disassembled it. In addition to this I have a small collection in Z scale, but there is a problem with Z - analogue running only... My next move will be to assemble a small Z layout for practice, then sell some of the H0 stuff and buy a starter set from Minitrix or Fleishmann. Perhaps an analogue set - just adding a decoder to the loco and using the Mobile Station 2 that I already have.

I haven't given up the dream of a large H0 layout, but N scale can offer an interesting layout in a smaller space. Minitrix is most tempting, because as far as I know the quality is good, the turnouts are DCC-friendly and Märklin is backing the brand...
Offline Carim  
#6 Posted : 21 February 2017 23:44:31(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Karl Gunnar Sjöqvist Go to Quoted Post
but there is a problem with Z - analogue running only...

You can get digtal in Z - you can even get some sound decoders - see www.velmo.de

Also see Wal's post https://www.marklin-user...l-Operation---My-Journey

Carim
Offline Karl Gunnar Sjöqvist  
#7 Posted : 22 February 2017 17:21:57(UTC)
Karl Gunnar Sjöqvist

Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Karl Gunnar Sjöqvist Go to Quoted Post
but there is a problem with Z - analogue running only...

You can get digtal in Z - you can even get some sound decoders - see www.velmo.de

Also see Wal's post https://www.marklin-user...l-Operation---My-Journey

Carim

Tempting indeed, but I'll stick with analogue in Z and take the step into N scale with digital.