Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Share
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline anthpao  
#1 Posted : 17 February 2017 15:00:48(UTC)
anthpao

Greece   
Joined: 20/01/2010(UTC)
Posts: 125
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
I want to create two parallel tracks with the distance between them of 64.6mm. And I cannot find any combination of straight tracks that gives this distance except cutting a flex track.
How did Marklin forget? to produce such a critical straight track. I am listening your proposals.
Thank you.

By the way in C Tracks there are straight pieces of track of 77.5mm and 64.3mm which are distances of parallel tracks using narrow and wide turnouts.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 17 February 2017 15:11:14(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Joined: 23/07/2014(UTC)
Posts: 6,580
Location: ENGLAND, Didcot
Originally Posted by: anthpao Go to Quoted Post
I want to create two parallel tracks with the distance between them of 64.6mm. And I cannot find any combination of straight tracks that gives this distance except cutting a flex track.
How did Marklin forget? to produce such a critical straight track. I am listening your proposals.
Thank you.

By the way in C Tracks there are straight pieces of track of 77.5mm and 64.3mm which are distances of parallel tracks using narrow and wide turnouts.


I don't understand your question.

If producing parallel tracks then you would use a point and a curve track, example given in my gesamtkatalog is a 2262 point and a 2232 curve.

If you are wanting to have things at the correct spacing after a curve you use two different radius curves, e.g. 2231/2221 or 2241/2251

Offline DaleSchultz  
#3 Posted : 17 February 2017 15:56:18(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Joined: 10/02/2006(UTC)
Posts: 3,978
I think the issue is the length of a straight track to move from one track to the second track 64.6mm away, at the angle that the turnouts have.

I too found this glaring omission many years back when trying to design my layout. Unless a new length has been added in the last 20 years, you will have to cut some track. It need not be a 2005. The length needed depends on the diagonal angle - which is determined by the turnouts being used.

I have provided a calculator that can be used to determine the length needed, give the angle and the track separation (64.6) at http://layout.mixmox.com/1/calc
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Roland  
#4 Posted : 17 February 2017 16:35:35(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Joined: 09/11/2013(UTC)
Posts: 317
Location: Toronto, Canada
I'm confused about the question as well. Does the following help?

UserPostedImage

For the slim turnout (22716), the part numbers required are:

22716-2203-2200-2202
2203-2274

Tracks are parallel with a distance of 64.6mm between them.
Offline Rwill  
#5 Posted : 17 February 2017 16:49:35(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Joined: 04/05/2015(UTC)
Posts: 766
Location: England, London
And if we don't want a turnout then surely if we are going along a piece of track then put in a s shape of two 2232's we are the going straight again 64.6mm from where we started.
Offline Roland  
#6 Posted : 17 February 2017 18:38:10(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Joined: 09/11/2013(UTC)
Posts: 317
Location: Toronto, Canada
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
And if we don't want a turnout then surely if we are going along a piece of track then put in a s shape of two 2232's we are the going straight again 64.6mm from where we started.


Absolutely or 2274-2203-2274 for slims
Offline DaleSchultz  
#7 Posted : 18 February 2017 00:30:26(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Joined: 10/02/2006(UTC)
Posts: 3,978
I think the issue I found was no transition from 57mm to 64.6mm spacing
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Roland  
#8 Posted : 18 February 2017 02:17:59(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Joined: 09/11/2013(UTC)
Posts: 317
Location: Toronto, Canada
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
I think the issue I found was no transition from 57mm to 64.6mm spacing


I would try to close that gap on a curve with one of the parallel tracks being a flex track. It looks less awkward than closing the gap on a straightaway. I think flex is the only option for this.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#9 Posted : 18 February 2017 02:37:56(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Joined: 10/02/2006(UTC)
Posts: 3,978
yes the problem is certainly solvable, just pointing out that there is/was a nasty omission. What I did was use flex track as it curved into the station:
http://cabin-layout.blog...station-tracks-laid.html
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 18 February 2017 21:00:52(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Joined: 28/11/2007(UTC)
Posts: 7,337
Location: Montreal, QC
If I understand correctly and if I remember correctly, the spacing between R1 and R2 was 64,6mm. The spacing between R3 and R4 and R4 and R5 is narrower at 57mm.
To go from a track spacing of R2 to R3, the use of the slim switches is required.

If you plan to have R1 or R2 curves on one end (64,6 spacing) and larger radii curves on the other end, you would need to shift the tracks using curved tracks designed to be used with the slim switchtracks to make the S-curve required or use flex track. The problem with using flex track is that this requires a minimum track length (for that section).

If you want to have a station platform area with a track separation of 57mm and still use the narrower radii curves at the ends, you would have to compensate at each end.

My solution was to use R3 and R4 which replaced the original R1 and R2 track loops which had a straight section inserted between each quarter turn, which did not significantly change the size of the loops and yielded the closer track separation.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Roland  
#11 Posted : 19 February 2017 03:25:31(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Joined: 09/11/2013(UTC)
Posts: 317
Location: Toronto, Canada
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
If I understand correctly and if I remember correctly, the spacing between R1 and R2 was 64,6mm. The spacing between R3 and R4 and R4 and R5 is narrower at 57mm.
To go from a track spacing of R2 to R3, the use of the slim switches is required.

If you plan to have R1 or R2 curves on one end (64,6 spacing) and larger radii curves on the other end, you would need to shift the tracks using curved tracks designed to be used with the slim switchtracks to make the S-curve required or use flex track. The problem with using flex track is that this requires a minimum track length (for that section).

If you want to have a station platform area with a track separation of 57mm and still use the narrower radii curves at the ends, you would have to compensate at each end.

My solution was to use R3 and R4 which replaced the original R1 and R2 track loops which had a straight section inserted between each quarter turn, which did not significantly change the size of the loops and yielded the closer track separation.

Regards

Mike C


For k-track it's actually 64.6mm between R1 - R5.
UserPostedImage

R3 doesn't officially exist but it can be made using a combination of different curves
UserPostedImage
Users browsing this topic
OceanSpiders 2.0
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

| Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2022, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.495 seconds.