Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Nick_R  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2017 22:42:25(UTC)
Nick_R

United States   
Hi,

I've got my 30 year old set, obviously all analog.
This is something my dad did for me at the time.

Now, it's time for me to do the same for my son.

I'd like to go from analog to digital and, since I'm new to that part, I'll do it by steps.

First of, testing done, my trains can't handle anything more than a 2.3% slope. I've seen tons of layout videos on youtube and I see slopes that are easy at 5 or 6%.

Is that because of the analog mode? I have 2 Delta locos (not 30 years old...), will they handle any better in digital mode?

I'm going to test that using my existing 6611 trafo and a 6021 Control Unit. May not be idel but, like I said: testing phase.

Overall, I plan to have the layout managed with a raspery pi and the CS3 software from Marklin.

There is a very good and detailed page on how to get the hardware up and running here:
http://www.ifoedit.com/RaspiCS2En.html

Since I know one or two things in cumputers and electronics, I will have no problem with that.

Now the biggy, the actual layout.

I am extremely confused with the decoders (k83, k84,s88)

Here are the things I will want to achieve:
1) If a train goes from the red section to the green section, I want the incoming train on the blue section to stop until the train currently on the green section is far enought.
I guess that implicates 2 signals (red track and blue track) as well as 3 sensor (at the signal for track red and blue to set both signals to red and one on the green track to set both signals back to green)

UserPostedImage

Is the above list of signals and sensors correct?
If so, what decorers are to be used? How are they to be connected with the signals and the sensors? How do I program that in the CS software (are those functions that would otherwise be setup in the keyboards?)

2a) A train arrives, passes a sensor (loco is to trigger that one) that triggers the barriers of a level crossing to come down), then the train passes the crossing. Further down the track, an other sensor is placed but this time, the END of the train is to triggger the barriers back up. Same questions: what sensors, how to connect them etc.?

2b) What if I have 2 // tracks over that crossing?

2c) if a tain goes from est to west and another goes from west to east, then the sensor that used to trigger an action on the loco now need to trigger the action on the last wagon. How to set the direction?

I have been looking for hours and do find bits and pieces.
As an example, I thought I found something good here:
https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t14239-Shuttle-Train-Version-1-2009
I have to admit that I started to get a bit lost in the end but the blow came from post 36: with a software, no need for k83 nor k84.

There is also this page (hence why I'll use the 6011 trafo while testing):
http://germantrains.com/faq.html#What do I need to digitally operate my trains (train control)?
Great for the extreme basics but missing the explanations for the sensor/signals/decoder stuff.

Any help would be much appreciated, especially with clear and simple drawings, step by steps for the CS software etc.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nick_R
Offline baggio  
#2 Posted : 17 February 2017 01:46:15(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Nick, and welcome to the forum.

A few questions may help us help you in this trip into the digital word of Marklin:

1. Are you trying to put together a simple layout for your son or a much more sophisticated layout for yourself? The two layouts are clearly not the same.

2. Do you now own a CS3? It seems so, but I just want to double check.

3. Are you comfortable with a financial outlay in the short run of maybe $3K or more including the CS3 if you do not have one already?

4. How old is your son? Boys at 12 or so will stop looking at trains and be more interested in girls. This means that if your efforts are aimed at your son and not to your own fun, you may regret a considerable cash outlay.

5. What is it, exactly, that you hope to achieve by going digital all the way with a CS3? Can this be done with a more affordable controller like an MS2 or a wireless controller where you could buy an extra remote and you and your son could each control the trains (up to four)?

I ask the last question because I know of at least one hard core analogue train hobbyist who could not answer it satisfactorily to himself and therefore did not, yet get into the digital world.

6. Has your son shown any interest in trains? If so, how?

Somehow, I think the best bet for you is to get a starter set, show it to your son, play with it together and see if the spark is there or not. If so, them move forward.

This is just my 2 cents' worth. BigGrin

Silvano

P.S. Question no 7: Why Marklin, as opposed to 2 rail DC or DCC? Nostalgia? That may be a good reason (my avatar is a loco of when I was a kid) but remember you CANNOT run US locos on a Marklin layout other than some expensive variations.

Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 17 February 2017 02:04:41(UTC)
TEEWolf

Quote:
I've got my 30 year old set, obviously all analog.

Quote:
I'm going to test that using my existing 6611 trafo and a 6021 Control Unit.

Obviously not all of your equipment is analogue. The 6021 Control Unit was the first digital unit from Maerklin.

A complete overview (unfortunately still without the new CS 3) you find here

https://www.maerklin.de/...emarchitektur_gesamt.pdf

But in this graphics you will find your CU 6021 integrated.

Here you find the connection for your 6611. Maerklin itself recommends to seperate the light current from the traction current. The connection for the light current is analogue, whereas the connection with the traction current is digital current. But this seperation is not necessary and depends by the size of your layout and the needed power.

https://www.google.de/im...JDM:&vet=1&w=220

https://wiki.3rail.nl/im...e_lichttransformator.png

If you still have some time for waiting, I can highly recommend this new book from Maerklin to you:

http://www.maerklin.de/e...s/details/article/03092/

I did not bought the German Edition yet, but I got its predecessor.

http://www.maerklin.de/d...e/details/article/03081/

This book is based on the CS 2, whereas the new one is based on the CS 3, which I bought last Christmas for my own use. E.g. this books answers your question

Quote:

very good. I know it, because I had the same questions. This book gave me all the answers. With the new book for the CS 3 you got the advantage of its availability in English.
The decoders k83, k84 are not longer availbale. The new once are here

http://www.maerklin.de/e...s/details/article/60832/
But at the prior model you will find a manual
https://medienpdb.maerkl.../1/pdf/60831_betrieb.pdf

This one is a decoder eg for a digital possibility to toggle turnouts.

http://www.maerklin.de/d...e/details/article/60842/
and here themanual for the m 84
https://static.maerklin....656a9706a61434541831.pdf

This one is used for a digital possibility to switch on and off lights, signals, etc..

The s 88 is a feedback module.

Enough answers for the moment?
Offline Danlake  
#4 Posted : 17 February 2017 02:48:38(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forumThumpUp

Digital trains and automation can be lots of fun and if you are keen on computers I recommend digital versus analogue.

First off have a look trough this post:

https://www.marklin-user...ck-length-in-shadow-yard

In post 2 there is link to PDF file explaining the basic concept of automation control with a CS.

K83 is basically a module that gets the command via the CS2 and can the open one of its output ports very briefly. E.g. a digital turnout just need to be energises for a few 100 ms and the magnetic solenoids will switch the turnout.

K84 is a switching decoder that can permantly energised one of its port. This is e.g. used for light control and switching on/off power to various isolated track sections on the layout.

Marklin has recently started selling new versions called M83 and M84. There is still some debate regarding these. Basically they are a bit more sophiscated (or supposed to be) and you can individually program the ports using the CS. Also they can be powered from a seperate transformer meaning you will not loose valuable track power.

Personally I would recommend using Viessmann products instead (5211 and 5213). These are cheaper than Marklin's and reliable and can be powered by a seperate transformer. One these there is some manual dip switches on the front. By setting these you set the address of the decoder.

S88 (Viessmann 5217) is a feedback module that is used to detect when a train has activated a sensor on the track. The most commonly used sensors for feedback control is contact tracks. Basically one of the outer rail on the track has been isolated and when the first set of wheel axels on the train bridge the isolated rail with the other live ground rail the S88 will registered it and send a signal to CS who then in turns knows a sensor has been activated.

With computer control the various software will know what train has activated the sensor. With Marklin CS it only knows that something has activated it but not which train it was.

Regarding inclines on layout. The biggest difference between new and old locomotives is that digital decoders now has load regulation. That means the decoder will automatically give more power to the engine during a climb to maintain the same speed. On an old analogue train it will slow down on the climb unless the human operator adjust the throttle.

Generally most recommend planning for max 3 % incline but you can potential get up to max 5%. It all depends on the weight the train has to pull and how many axels is powered on it it and how many traction tires it has.

I you are interested in Marklin Digital I recommend also signing up to the US Marklin Digital Club. You get a free comprehensive newsletters and there is also a hotline you can call (US based):

https://www.marklin.com/club/digital.html

If you need some old newsletter I can send by email (drop me a pm).

Enjoy and Brgds

Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline Nick_R  
#5 Posted : 17 February 2017 03:31:35(UTC)
Nick_R

United States   
Thanks guys.

Lots of links.

I'll try to answer some questions and maybe rephrase a bit too.

I use my 7 year old kid as an excuse to rebuild a complete layout (4m x 3m thus far but will ultimately depend on the slopes).
I used to have the official 2m x 1m layout with the street in the middle and a lake. Unfortunately, I had to let it go and kept all the rails.

I have about 20 locos and 50 wagons. I love the build quality (made in Germany) and they can be upgraded to digital, why not.

I intend to have signals and routes and run multiple trains at once. My fathers layout was missing all that.

Right now, I have M rails and the analog trafos.
I just ordered the 6021 off ebay, waiting for it.

Before I go full scale, I want to make sure that I get everything right.

Step 1) getting the slope value since that will define the final size of the layout
Step 2) get the raspery pi, build the interface and test it out. Option 1 was to use rocrail but then saw that you can use the CS3 SOFTWARE too. I don't have a CS3 and do not intend to get it either. I'd like to have everything managed from the computer. From the replies, it looks like I need to go with rocrail rather than the cs3 software?
Step3) get a few switches and signals and build a small scale layout. that's where all the hard wireing and programming comes in (which is the part I'm completely lost and confused).

And again that's the part where I'm looking for drawings and specific instructions.

I was also thinking Viessmann as opposed to Marklin for the decoders.

I'll do some readings with the links you provided and will come back (I'm afraid).
Offline cookee_nz  
#6 Posted : 17 February 2017 08:38:34(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Obviously not all of your equipment is analogue. The 6021 Control Unit was the first digital unit from Maerklin.

Only a small detail but the 6021 was not the "first" digital unit.

That honour belongs to the 6020 Central Unit supplemented by the 6035 Control 80, followed by the 6036 Control 80f. The initial items were released to market in 1985.

The 'new' 6021 combined both of these into a single unit and did not come on the market until 1993 so it was quite a few years under the original system.

Since then of course the gap between subsequent (improved?) controllers has narrowed.

Not being picky but just thought it worth clarifying :-)
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline PJMärklin  
#7 Posted : 17 February 2017 10:31:52(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

.......The 'new' 6021 combined both of these into a single unit and did not come on the market until 1993 .....
Since then of course the gap between subsequent (improved?) controllers has narrowed.

If I might take the liberty of adding to Cookee's comment, the 6021 and the control 80f 's are still going strong !!

Regards,

PJ

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline baggio  
#8 Posted : 17 February 2017 14:20:58(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
If I might take the liberty of adding to Cookee's comment, the 6021 and the control 80f 's are still going strong !!

That is a great picture P.J. ThumpUp

I wonder if I could ask:

1. What are all those buttons for?

2. Why are some red and some green?

3. Does each button require its own wire connected to another box? If so, what box?

Thanks.

Silvano
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline Rwill  
#9 Posted : 17 February 2017 19:27:32(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post

That is a great picture P.J. ThumpUp

I wonder if I could ask:

1. What are all those buttons for?

2. Why are some red and some green?

3. Does each button require its own wire connected to another box? If so, what box?

Thanks.

Silvano

If I may answer.

What you are looking at is in effect an earlier (and some say still better) version of a Mobile Station: 6021 linked to a number of 6040 keyboards so like the MS2 you have a lok controller through the 6021 keying in the Lok address and keyboards switching turnouts, signals and uncouplers through the track connected decoders Each item has its own very tactile pair of switches and an indicator when the switch is turned to red all very easy to see and use. The 6021 and 6040 ( and other compatible items) all join together electrically and seamlessly through their own built in multi plug. The only two wires leaving the controller are the red and brown to the track not even a track box in between.

Edited by moderator 18 February 2017 13:58:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline baggio  
#10 Posted : 18 February 2017 04:28:40(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Thank you, Rwill, that looks cool. I am half-tempted to buy one. BigGrin

I say "half-tempted" because I already have two MS2 so I could not justify the purchase but it is tempting.

I especially like the "interface" whereby you have a digital set up while retaining a transformer-like look. ThumpUp

Also, one nice feature is that you can pick which loco to use DIRECTLY - without having to keep on pushing the button(s) to get to the one you want. ThumpUp
Offline Nick_R  
#11 Posted : 18 February 2017 20:01:10(UTC)
Nick_R

United States   
UPDATE

I just got my 6021 control unit.

Since I have 2 digital compatible locos, I tried them out.

First is a 33622 Santa Fe.
She did manage to go up a slope at 7% with some load when I could not reach more than 2.5% in analog. WOW!
HOWEVER, I have 2 questions:
1) There is a jumper on the delta module. Does anyone know what it's for? I have the manual but it says nothing about it.
2) The light still behaves as in analog mode: the faster she goes, the brighter the light. I thought the light would be fully on at all times in digital !? Could that be due to the jumper?

Second, a 3153 DB BR120.
So that one has the light on at all time. I also did manage get her up a 3.5% slope but beyond that, she just goes down the slope on her own!? Could that be due to the rubbers on the wheels? This being said, I think she's not sliding, she's actually rolling down... Engine to soft?

Can functions be added to either of them? Sound or something? Just curious...

Edited by user 19 February 2017 00:45:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nick_R
Offline Danlake  
#12 Posted : 19 February 2017 03:50:49(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Nick,

Regarding the Santa Fee lights that is normal behaviour of the early Delta locos.

See also below link:

https://www.bogobit.de/decoder/dectype.html

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline Nick_R  
#13 Posted : 20 February 2017 03:42:37(UTC)
Nick_R

United States   
Thanks Lasse.

I had a look at the link you provided.
The light 'fix' is looking easy enough.

I ordered the required diode but will skip the function upgrade.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 20 February 2017 11:22:32(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Nick_R Go to Quoted Post
First of, testing done, my trains can't handle anything more than a 2.3% slope. I've seen tons of layout videos on youtube and I see slopes that are easy at 5 or 6%.

Is that because of the analog mode? I have 2 Delta locos (not 30 years old...), will they handle any better in digital mode?

Not sure if anyone has answered this, but the short answer is that analog and delta equipped locos have no load control, so they will slow down going uphill and speed up going downhill.

Locos fitted with a digital decoder and a motor conversion to a motor with a permanent magnet will have load control which means the decoder will apply more power going uphill and reduce power going downhill to maintain a constant speed.
Offline Nick_R  
#15 Posted : 20 February 2017 13:24:01(UTC)
Nick_R

United States   
Meaning that even if the loco is equipped with a decoder, it does not mean that we can enjoy all the benefits of running digital...

Is there a time frame when locos were factory installed with those magnets? Or maybe a logo on the catalog?
Offline baggio  
#16 Posted : 20 February 2017 14:36:17(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Nick: Locos fitted with a digital decoder and a motor conversion to a motor with a permanent magnet will have load control which means the decoder will apply more power going uphill and reduce power going downhill to maintain a constant speed.

Is this done automatically?

Offline RayF  
#17 Posted : 20 February 2017 14:38:51(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Meaning that even if the loco is equipped with a decoder, it does not mean that we can enjoy all the benefits of running digital...

Is there a time frame when locos were factory installed with those magnets? Or maybe a logo on the catalog?

It's a bit more complicated than that, as some of the earlier digital models with permanent magnet still had no load control.

Generally though, you can go by the numbering. Four digit loco numbers were fairly clear.

30xx and 31xx are analogue
33xx and some 34xx are analogue with electronic reversing circuit
34xx and some 33xx are Delta
35xx are analogue with load control
36xx are digital with no load control
37xx are digital with load control
38xx were DC

Five digit numbers can be a bit more vague, but generally:

30xxx are replicas of classic models
31xxx are sets with more than one locomotive
33xxx are Delta
34xxx are Delta
36xxx are Digital hobby locos with cheap decoders but have load control (Not all are Hobby)
37xxx are Digital locos with load control (Not all early ones)
39xxx are Digital locos with C-sine motors and load control (Not recent ones)

I hope this helps, though I fear I may have confused you more! BigGrin
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 20 February 2017 14:41:07(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Nick: Locos fitted with a digital decoder and a motor conversion to a motor with a permanent magnet will have load control which means the decoder will apply more power going uphill and reduce power going downhill to maintain a constant speed.

Is this done automatically?

Yes, by Definition that is what "load control" does. It provides more power when the load is greater and less when the load is lighter. The aim is to keep the speed of the train constant.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 20 February 2017 16:07:07(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
It's a bit more complicated than that [...]
Yes, it is more complicated.

Loco 37641 was in the catalogue until 2003/2004 and it does not have load regulation. Not sure if it is the last, but it is one of the late ones.
The text "adjustable high-efficiency propulsion" indicates lack of load regulation.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline baggio  
#20 Posted : 20 February 2017 16:32:21(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The text "adjustable high-efficiency propulsion" indicates lack of load regulation.

Talk about a convolluted way by Marklin to tell you - if you understand it - that a feature is NOT present in the decoder! ThumbDown
Offline H0  
#21 Posted : 20 February 2017 21:47:21(UTC)
H0

Just like "maintenance-free LEDs" stands for yellow LEDs. Read between the lines and ask the folks on the forum ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Minok  
#22 Posted : 20 February 2017 22:38:19(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Hi,

Overall, I plan to have the layout managed with a raspery pi and the CS3 software from Marklin.

Welcome aboard. Many have already said it but here's my mustard for the discussion (aka my two cents):

Going with a home built computer to track interface is a way to save on the cost of a Märklin controller for sure. Thats a several two 500+ dollar savings. But you have to be sure the Raspberry Pi based solution is working.. so you are debugging two things at once, the layout and its digital components and electrical connections, and the Pi's hardware/software. It might be worthwhile investing in a used Mobil Station 2/3 and its track box and power supply (not transformers) as a way to set up, test, debug the running of the layout and locomotives, and its switches - independent of the larger goal of computer control via PC and a pi track interface.

K83/84 are OUTPUT to the track: decoders - they take control data addressed to them from the controller (MS/CS/Computer) and then switch their outputs correspondingly. One is for short duration consumers like switches and flashing lights, the other is for constant on consumers like layout/building lighting, motors, etc.

S88 are INPUT from the track: sensors - they detect the state of conductivity (typically) to determine if any car/loco is on the particular section of track it is monitoring (the section has some rail isolated). Those various track segment-sensing signals are all fed back to S88 inputs (several per S88 module) and then those S88 module's have their 'occupancy state' data read by the controller/computer, to know where something is and isnt' (but won't tell you what is there). So you'll know 'something' is on the rails at a given location, but not what it is.

For computer control, you will be converting the computer software commands to electrical signals modulated on the power supply via the raspberry pi it seems.
For that software: rocrail is free, other big players are itrain (multi-os), and at the top end windigipet and train controller. (though the makers of Train Controller are presently (Feb2017) boycotting some US states for political reasons). Sounds like you would want to start with the low cost version (and event the spendy ones have demo versions which limit how many trains you can run and what accessories you can use).
Given that you are a hobbyist, I wonder if you'd even be a candidate for JMRI, another control option - though its focused at the DCC usecase. Its a Java based, open source, project that seems big here in the US. If you can teach(add) JMRI mfx control capability, that would be awesome. But if your trains have DCC capable decoders, you may be fine with JMRI. Its more tinkering though.

For my layout I'll likely be going with WinDigipet or TrainController just because I don't want to tinker with the complexities of JMRI (which, being JAVA also works on Linux/Unix/Mac computers).
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Minok  
#23 Posted : 20 February 2017 22:41:50(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Just like "maintenance-free LEDs" stands for yellow LEDs. Read between the lines and ask the folks on the forum ...

Is that because for the green, red, blue and even white LEDs they need to periodically have their colorant tanks topped off?
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline H0  
#24 Posted : 21 February 2017 07:58:41(UTC)
H0

Yellow, red, green, and orange are maintenance-free as they last about 50,000 hours before you throw them away. White and blue LEDs do not last that long.

Maybe they just want one positive adjective?

Warning about set 29486: The database reads "The headlights are maintenance-free, warm white LEDs." You get yellow LEDs - the term "warm white" is the result of a copy'n'paste error. So far they didn't find time to correct the error in the database.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage