Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 09 February 2017 03:36:54(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I am starting a new topic based on a comment that I left in another thread.

Maerklin decided to make the models of the Bombardier Traxx and Siemens Eurorunner locomotives as part of the Hobby Series (36XXX), primarily to compete with Piko's range of cheap entry level models which were priced at around 60 EUR.
Over the past few years, we have seen the price of these models creep from 60 EUR to 90 EUR and last year to around 120 EUR. This year (2016), we saw a few such models now loaded with improved decoder and sound functions with a list price of around 190 EUR. This is getting pretty close to what a locomotive from Maerklin's regular series costs.

I can understand that Maerklin wanted to compete with Piko for the Hobby model market.
What I cannot understand is that over the years, we have now seen not only the above named models, but also the new Siemens Vectron models being issued as Hobby models. Even if they come with better decoders and sound modules than the original 60 EUR loks, they are still Hobby models and are missing details that a full fledged model should have.

What I would like to see is a metal model of the Traxx with realistically rendered wheels with brake pads, multicoloured and realistic roof wiring, headlights with milled light channels so that they emit a beam and not just a diffused light.

I do not see why Marklin modellers should be put into a position where they have to choose between a dressed up Hobby model and buying from another company to get a more detailed model.

So far, this has cost Maerklin a sale of the Alpaezaehmer 482 and sales of the SBB Vectron and BLS BR 187* are up in the air. The BLS 475 is sure to be next.
* (I may take one of these as I can use it with a ROLA or Container train that is not as detailed as some of my other consists)

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 09 February 2017 17:42:44(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
My own opinion is that they should continue the idea of hobby locos in parallel to full specification models. It's important for both types to be available to service both the beginner and the more demanding modeller. I don't think it would be viable for all prototypes to be available as both a Hobby and a full spec, so I guess there will be a compromise and each group of modellers will have to choose from the range available to them.

I do feel that the hobby models have become too expensive and they should revert to basic decoders with a plug-in sound upgrade available.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 09 February 2017 21:32:17(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
My own opinion is that they should continue the idea of hobby locos in parallel to full specification models. It's important for both types to be available to service both the beginner and the more demanding modeller. I don't think it would be viable for all prototypes to be available as both a Hobby and a full spec, so I guess there will be a compromise and each group of modellers will have to choose from the range available to them.

I do feel that the hobby models have become too expensive and they should revert to basic decoders with a plug-in sound upgrade available.

I totally agree- they should remain $100-125, and have a simple cheap plug in sound kit if you want to spend more. This may be an unpopular thought, but the sound systems in electric locomotives aren't that interesting anyways...

I find the step that should lie between "my world" and the regular line to be near nonexistent. I think bringing back the 3000 or another classic but with digital decoder in a basic set with MS2 would go a long way. We need a quality start set in the ~$150 range or less. Its tough, but it also sells more c track, bridges, and helps grow people into the hobby...

Edited by user 10 February 2017 18:45:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SBB Era 2-5
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2017 04:48:58(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
As long as other companies are manufacturing models to bite into Maerklin's market, e.g. Piko's Hobby models, they should compete with those models, but that does not mean that they should not maintain their existing quality and product range. A few years back (pre bankruptcy), Hag announced models of the Traxx locomotives. These would have been high quality models of these locomotives in a market where the competition is either plastic shells on metal frames or these cheap "hobby" models with minimal details. A decade later and that model probably would have paid off.

As a modeler, should I not expect to have a BR 185, 186, 187 that meets the quality and look of my Re 6/6, Re 4/4II, Ae 6/6, BR 103, BR 120, etc and not an oversimplified model?

I am not saying that Maerklin should not make "Hobby" models, but that they should make models of these new locomotive designs for those who want regular models.
This means models that can pull a normal "fully loaded" consist, whether it be a long freight train or coaches equipped with lighting and sliders.

This tendency to offer these "Start" level models with sound also means that these new models can no longer be used in MU with other locomotives under certain circumstances. For example, the new BLS 186 (36624) or the newly announced BR 187 both have sound, which involve delayed start up sounds, so they take a few seconds to move while the older models without sound start to move right away. This means that modelers have to upgrade models or restrict locomotives to certain MUs only. For example, I could not use the 2016 Alpaezaehmer Re 482 out of the box with my older 36606 or 36851 or the 36624 Re 486 with the earlier one from the 29486 Start Set.

True, this problem also exists when combining any lok with sound with other locomotives, but at least most digital locomotives offer you the means to adjust the acceleration/deceleration to match.

I also find that these "Hobby" loks don't look good when used alongside the more detailed ones. The plastic roof wiring on the 185 looks like a joke next to my SBB loks with metal roof details or my DB 103.

That said, it appears likely that the Siemens Vectron is going to become a common lok on Swiss rails and I would love to see Maerklin make a full detail version. If they do not, I will have to consider what other brands are offering.

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 10 February 2017 09:03:54(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
This year (2016), we saw a few such models now loaded with improved decoder and sound functions with a list price of around 190 EUR.
The list price for the 36627 Alpäzähmer is €199.99 including VAT.

Comparing the new 36627 with the old 36851 reveals some differences.
The new model now has warning signs above the front window and besides the lower headlights (++), but it also has red edges at the sand boxes (--).
A picture can be seen at Lokmuseum:
http://www.lokmuseum.de/...e_loks/bilder/36627b.jpg

As always the "Re 482" is just a "DB BR 185.0" painted in SBB livery and not a real Re 482.
There are no rear-view cameras and no Integra magnets at the trucks.
Larger pictures can be seen here (hoover with the mouse for a zoomed view):
https://www.haertle.de/M...o+mfx+Sound+Spur+H0.html

It seems that all form compromises from the old 36851 are still around with the 36627.
Blackened brake discs, unpainted fat red wires on the roof, front windows that are too small (incorrect height), a loco body that is too small (1 or 2 mm missing in total height).

In my opinion €200 is too much even with sound. And €140 would be too much for me for a such model without sound.
Like with the plastic body TRAXX model they now use a cost-optimised painting process for the body, leading to uglier sandboxes.
This is another problem with Märklin: even if it looks like a re-run of an old mould, it could come with some downgraded details.
I admit that some details have been upgraded in the printing process.

Some visual improvements are possible with paint, a different coupler pocket and SMD LEDs for older models:
http://blog.mailez.de/eb...ts-marklin-traxx-models/
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 10 February 2017 11:28:26(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

In my opinion €200 is too much even with sound. And €140 would be too much for me for a such model without sound.

I agree. I would like to see a price nearer the 100 euro mark to be consistent with the original aim of competing with Piko Hobby models.

For such a price one can forgive the odd inaccuracies.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF