Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Benjamin f Graves  
#1 Posted : 14 January 2017 18:43:26(UTC)
Benjamin f Graves

United States   
Hi all , i did find Marklin 8895 done-r Locomotive that was froze up . I did take it completely down BigGrin . mostly to see all parts live. Probably could have unfrozen it with out complete tear down. but you want to learn something new in mechanic field do tear down . (Hard Way)Love OK now my problem is to get things back in order (Together) so It will runConfused . Still limited on tools for these small Engines , did get Marklin tool kit from Mr. Hobo excellent and shipped fast BigGrint. Did take it down all way without vise just holding on to it with old numb fingersLOL . And put most of it back no problem. now Problem is main wheels. How to put them back in right Order for Electrical Contacts to be compressed to place wheels in sub frame or chassis . sorry I will eventually get names of parts correct in future. I've discovered smaller Gears in center two of them will be need to be put in after Main wheels align with main worm or motor gear to rear . Every time i try one side or other pushes small flat contacts out of place. Try not to bend them because they are very thin Brass. I came up with Idea to make very thin plastic jig to fit over chassis between wheels and pressing contacts in to allow wheels to set in place. I've searched here and the google net but no one has asked it or listed it . This is learning area for me , I'm sure someone here has had pleasure of doing it and some suggestions on how to get it back together. when in doubt ASK. thanks ahead of time. no not into sending it to some one , I wish to learn to do this myself. Confused
Offline Z-nerd  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2017 13:11:33(UTC)
Z-nerd

Sweden   
Yes. I have done the same procedure on both the 8800 and 8895. It is very difficult and it takes a lot of patience to fix the wheels, cogwheels and thin Brass-contacts into place.
Also the valve gear can be tricky to put into place.

I would definately begin to hold back all the 4 brass-contacts before putting the wheels back. As you write the brass-contacts are very frail and you would not like to ruin them.

Märklin service centers probably have a lot of special instruments for repair of z-scale locos, like the jig you write about. As an amateur you have to figure out everything by yourself. A small
screwdriver is a must. Also put all parts on a white sheet of paper in some kind of box, because the tiny parts are easilly gone if you drop them.

UserPostedImage

I would never disassemble a loco with more wheels than the 8895 because I am not sure I would be able to put all the parts back together.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Z-nerd
Offline zscalehobo  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2017 17:56:41(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
This video was instrumental in teaching me a lot of how to do timing and this leaf spring insertion. 3:50 to 5:00 are the key to timing on this small locomotive:

Now, if I can figure out how to time/quarter a 4-axle such as 8896. That's my current stumbling block.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by zscalehobo
#4 Posted : 17 January 2017 19:18:29(UTC)
Benjamin f Graves

United States   
Thank you both , yes I've discovered several things need to be thought through . First is if you think Engine is locked up beyond repair you can't tell till you disassemble nothing moves by finger pressure . Yes I'm sure Marklin has jigs and won't share or give any Data out how to make them. But I'm smart in lot areas because of Previous things I taken apart . First thing I noticed was how to hold the engine works secure , No way by just fingers alone. Yes small Screw driver from Marklin Tool Kit is perfect along with very fine Needle nose Tweezers are excellent . Now as for holding , I do not have best item small Machine vise with wood to help hold but not damage shell , Plastic vise would be best , Yes I've seen the one for N Gage Proses LB 902 , but decided price was bit more than what I wanted to pay just starting out. Did find something cheaper on Amazon in the Electrical soldering tools under 25.00 , that is close to what I have in mind to hold Engine. Now for what I've discovered and you both already know. i wish to share for those who are starting out like me. If engine is just stuck from old Oil like I think this one is , spray it with WD-40 or light drill oil or Liquid wrench. Perhaps you might take shell off to loosen Back Bridge part of Electric Motor so you can work it back and forth to loosen it up with out disassembling wheels and once shell is off most all parts can be inspected with out farther disassembly. This particular Marklin has 3 Pole Motor. I'm choosing not to switch it out right now. Now back to how to secure the engine . I found with most parts looked acceptable no burned or bent missing or out of place. Leave shell on and in place for your vise to grip it with out damage. That is leaving it up side down for you to work on Gears and wheel Assembly. Yes then first thing I noticed was wheels if they are removed and wanted to put back on the Upper stem rods made it difficult. So I removed one Bad choice . but made putting wheels in there correct position with the contacts clearer to push in recessed in Engine frame to just edge wheel in place. Yes does take lot of Patience and several tries. But I did it with fumbling fingers and lot of effort. but when I went to put bottom plate on took it out of vise, with my fingers Bad choice they fell out of place so . I was really tired by that time so will try again today. Hope to take some pictures also .
#5 Posted : 17 January 2017 22:33:20(UTC)
Benjamin f Graves

United States   
Quick follow up , I decide. to give it another try today. Did get it back together I'm pretty sure correct. But this time light did not come on like before , but good sign was I tried to old fashion hot wire , light works very good was little low before on track , now problem is the motor when I do hot wire tries to turn, I can see it jump little every time Electricity added to brush's. so I'm pretty sure the motor is still good just have to figure out where it is losing contact or not working . I checked wheel contacts look like they are where they are supposed to be on top of wheels front and rear . Just can't determine if they contact inside of wheel wheel dimple its and if spring pressure is not damaged from so many tries. Did check where the connect to main power line to Kondensator and to brushes then to motor. that is where I get continuity to light and movement of motor. Now what i should have put down for novice like me with poor Eye sight get excellent Magnification device weather around your head or what I call "Broker Glasses" from Guardians of Galaxy. they are cheap on E-bay but man some of the best Magnification up close only microscope could match and like Z-Nerd says white paper good Idea with Magnet in old Jar Cap easy to keep small screws from Wondering into Black Hole. OK thanks for good Ideas Gentlemen. will be needing plenty more.
#6 Posted : 20 January 2017 23:31:59(UTC)
Benjamin f Graves

United States   
Originally Posted by: Benjamin f Graves Go to Quoted Post
Quick follow up , I decide. to give it another try today. Did get it back together I'm pretty sure correct. But this time light did not come on like before , but good sign was I tried to old fashion hot wire , light works very good was little low before on track , now problem is the motor when I do hot wire tries to turn, I can see it jump little every time Electricity added to brush's. so I'm pretty sure the motor is still good just have to figure out where it is losing contact or not working . I checked wheel contacts look like they are where they are supposed to be on top of wheels front and rear . Just can't determine if they contact inside of wheel wheel dimple its and if spring pressure is not damaged from so many tries. Did check where the connect to main power line to Kondensator and to brushes then to motor. that is where I get continuity to light and movement of motor. Now what i should have put down for novice like me with poor Eye sight get excellent Magnification device weather around your head or what I call "Broker Glasses" from Guardians of Galaxy. they are cheap on E-bay but man some of the best Magnification up close only microscope could match and like Z-Nerd says white paper good Idea with Magnet in old Jar Cap easy to keep small screws from Wondering into Black Hole. OK thanks for good Ideas Gentlemen. will be needing plenty more.

Figured out problem Cool was when I put the Right hand brush was not full setHuh . Reset brush hot wired motor -- works very good . I decided to buy two new inner wheel contacts from Mr. Hobo . Will wait to put it back together. thanks for all points so far. BigGrin learning again LOL