Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2017 06:01:15(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hello, Everyone:

As I indicated in my previous discussion concerning problems with the Orient Express digital decoder and controller, found at: Orient Express ,this is what I understood from all feedback received:

1. M's digital controllers do NOT all work the same way. In other words, what may be the way the MS2 controller deals with decoders is not necessarily the way the CS1 (or CS2 or CS3) deals with it.

2. An Fx decoder has an address that the user must use in order to control the loco.

3. An MFX decoder does not have an address that the user need worry about.

4. The adddress number of a loco for an FX decoder is crucial - if two locos have the same address - both locos will respond to the same command at the same time. I know, I have done it with the wireless digital remote control.

5. If you have an MS2 digital controller and buy a loco with an MFX decoder, do not worry about the numbers of your FX or other MFX addresses - the last MFX loco will register itself with an address that will NOT conflict with any of the other locos in your database of addresses.

6. If, however, you have a CS1 (or CS2 or Cs3) digital controller this may not be the so. I am not sure. Hopefully someone will clarify this point.

7. The problem that the 3Rotaie poster experienced with his Orient Express loco using a CS2 may NOT have happened if he had used an
MS2 because of the different way the the MS2 deals with decoders from the way the CS controllers work. If I am wrong here, please clarify the point.

8. The key of the above seems to be:

a. For unsophisticated users, stick to the MS2 and don't touch a CS controller until you know why you are doing it and are well into the digital world so as to be capable of using the extra features the CS controllers have;

b. Stay away if you can from buying a loco that still has an Fx decoder - for a bit more money you save yourself a lot of troubles by
buying a loco with an MFX decoder - you simply put it on the tracks and off it goes;

c. There is no point in buying one of those loco digital cards if you have an MS2 controller and an MFX loco;

d. If you have an MS2 controller a digital card can be of some use with Fx locos; and

e. If you have a CS controller, I have no idea if there is any point in getting a digital card for an Fx loco. Hopefully someone will explain this point.

9. If your Mfx loco does not register on the track and you have an MS2 controller, try updating the firmware to 2.7 or higher if you can;

9.1 If the above does not work or you cannot update the firmware in your MS2 (you need a CS to do that) then call Mike at the Toronto Marklin shop and he will tell you what to do. If Mike is too far from you (like at the other end of the planet), then call a Marklin dealer that you know has knowledge of these products.

Any comments, advice and (gentle) criticism to what I said above by any reader truly knowledgeable of these issues would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you.

Silvano
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 08 January 2017 13:02:01(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I inserted my remarks in red in the quote.
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
1. M's digital controllers do NOT all work the same way. In other words, what may be the way the MS2 controller deals with decoders is not necessarily the way the CS1 (or CS2 or CS3) deals with it.
Just see how many controllers there are: Delta, 6021, IR controllers for starter sets. You always have to read the manual.

2. An Fx decoder has an address that the user must use in order to control the loco.
The term "fx" has several meanings. There are several protocols.
With MM and DCC the user assigns the addresses. With mfx and RailCom+ controller and decoder negotiate addresses automatically.
Märklin controllers do not yet support RailCom+.
There were MM decoders before fx loco decoders were introduced, so "MM decoder" is a more general term.

3. An MFX decoder does not have an address that the user need worry about.
If mfx works as intended, there is no need to worry about addresses.

4. The address number of a loco for an FX decoder is crucial - if two locos have the same address - both locos will respond to the same command at the same time. I know, I have done it with the wireless digital remote control.
Two decoders using the same address can be a feature (simple double heading or loco decoder and train decoder using the same address for simple access).

5. If you have an MS2 digital controller and buy a loco with an MFX decoder, do not worry about the numbers of your FX or other MFX addresses - the last MFX loco will register itself with an address that will NOT conflict with any of the other locos in your database of addresses.
Yep.

6. If, however, you have a CS1 (or CS2 or Cs3) digital controller this may not be the so. I am not sure. Hopefully someone will clarify this point.
mfx works the same with any controller. No extra complications with Central Stations.

7. The problem that the 3Rotaie poster experienced with his Orient Express loco using a CS2 may NOT have happened if he had used an
MS2 because of the different way the the MS2 deals with decoders from the way the CS controllers work. If I am wrong here, please clarify the point.
No, mfx hickups can happen with both Mobile Stations and Central Stations. Making a test with any other mfx controller can resolve the issue.

8. The key of the above seems to be:

a. For unsophisticated users, stick to the MS2 and don't touch a CS controller until you know why you are doing it and are well into the digital world so as to be capable of using the extra features the CS controllers have;
I don't think so. If you have a Central Station but only use capabilities also available on a Mobile Station, things won't be more complicated with a Central Station. And the larger screen will make things easier.

b. Stay away if you can from buying a loco that still has an Fx decoder - for a bit more money you save yourself a lot of troubles by
buying a loco with an MFX decoder - you simply put it on the tracks and off it goes;
I don't think so. Those fx decoders have the smoothest acceleration and braking delay (ABD) I've ever seen. And there are many C Sine locos with fx decoders that I don't want to miss. For a few bucks more you can get an mfx version with a noisier motor and worse ABD.
And there also were nice locos before fx was introduced.

c. There is no point in buying one of those loco digital cards if you have an MS2 controller and an MFX loco;
Some use loco cards for the mfx locos. But it seems only few people use loco cards at all.

d. If you have an MS2 controller a digital card can be of some use with Fx locos; and

e. If you have a CS controller, I have no idea if there is any point in getting a digital card for an Fx loco. Hopefully someone will explain this point.
Loco cards came with the CS2. You can plug in a loco card to register a new loco or to select a loco that was already registered. Some folks use loco cards for loco selection.

9. If your Mfx loco does not register on the track and you have an MS2 controller, try updating the firmware to 2.7 or higher if you can;
I think the last important bug fix came with 1.83. An upgrade may improve things, but do not expect miracles.
MS1 and CS1 can handle mfx locos and they haven't seen upgrades for many years.
The MS2 needed an upgrade for ESU V4 M4 decoders because the mfx implementation of the MS2 was buggy. It needed another upgrade for Märklin mfx+ decoders.
It seems ESU did a good job when they implemented mfx on MS1 and CS1. Both took years to reach the current maturity level

9.1 If the above does not work or you cannot update the firmware in your MS2 (you need a CS to do that) then call Mike at the Toronto Marklin shop and he will tell you what to do. If Mike is too far from you (like at the other end of the planet), then call a Marklin dealer that you know has knowledge of these products.
Upgrades can be passed from one MS2 to another MS2. Meet friends, meet dealers, buy a new MS2 from a starter set, send your MS2 to a forum member - there are several ways to upgrade an MS2 if you do not have a CS2 or CS3.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline baggio  
#3 Posted : 08 January 2017 15:36:36(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
THANK YOU, HO! BigGrin ThumpUp

I think my comments/questions and your answers can very nicely become a simple starter guide for many of us still struggling with these concepts.

Among other things, I liked your comments about FX decoders that I thought were somewhat of a dinosaur in this hobby as a result of the advent of the MFX decoders.

Just for fun, if you had a choice of buying two identical locos, same price, one with an FX decoder and one with an MFX decoder, which one would you choose? It seems you would prefer the FX decoder, or am I wrong? I would pick MFX to avoid having to worry about addresses.

One point, however. Is it not the case that when you buy a starter set with an MS2 controller there is no guarantee that it will have the latest firmware update?

(I do realize from what you said, however, that if one buys a black case starter set, the firmware that was released at the factory is among the latest available simply because of its recent release. With time, however, this will be less and less so.)

I am thinking of E-bay in particular. In that case, one would need to ask the seller to do so, assuming he can do that (if he is not an established retailer).

Thanks again and have a good Sunday, you and everyone who is reading this post.

Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 08 January 2017 16:21:41(UTC)
H0

I would pick MFX to avoid having to worry about addresses.
I disabled mfx in my Central Station. Manually assigning the address is no hassle - and without mfx I get the deterministic and reliable operation I expect.
95% or 98% or so are happy with mfx. Some members here avoid it.

But does mfx actually save you time? I can manually assign dozens of addresses in the time it takes to re-animate an unresponsive mfx locos.
Manually address assignment takes place when I expect it - when a new loco arrives.
mfx locos become unresponsive when you least expect it.

It seems you would prefer the FX decoder, or am I wrong?
I'd check all options. Maybe get the analogue or Delta version and install a DCC decoder.
A brushless DC motor (C Sine motor) could tip the scales in favour of the fx version.

The decoders with DIP switches were discontinued because they were too expensive.
The C Sine motors were discontinued because they were too expensive.
Old is not always bad and new is not always better.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline franciscohg  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2017 19:10:52(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Must agree particularly in the ABD smoothness of old FX decoders, it is just superb.
And if you find a loco that you like equiped with a C sine motor, dont let it go away, i actually hunt for them.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline baggio  
#6 Posted : 08 January 2017 21:12:39(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
And if you find a loco that you like equiped with a C sine motor, dont let it go away, i actually hunt for them.

"a C sine motor" Confused BigGrin
Offline MaerklinLife  
#7 Posted : 08 January 2017 21:56:41(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Regards

What do you do when they break?

Offline franciscohg  
#8 Posted : 08 January 2017 22:14:14(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
Regards

What do you do when they break?

Do they?
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 08 January 2017 23:46:43(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

A C-Sine motor is a rather nice motor (in my opinion, but I know not everyone has the same thoughts) which is rather more complicated than the usual AC otr DC motors used because of the extra electronics needed to run it. There are no brushes and the original version claimed to be maintenance free. A later version had poor performance, which was later improved with redesigned electronics and used the term 'Soft-Sine'. But as mentioned they are a more costly motor to produce and with suitable electronics good quality DC motors are capable of equal performance, so Marklin no longer use the C-Sine series motors.

Originally locos with the catalogue numbers in the series 39xxx were c-Sine motors, but then they crept into some 37xxx series models and other motors in top end models crept into the 39xxx series numbers.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 09 January 2017 00:09:32(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
4. The address number of a loco for an FX decoder is crucial - if two locos have the same address - both locos will respond to the same command at the same time. I know, I have done it with the wireless digital remote control.
Two decoders using the same address can be a feature (simple double heading or loco decoder and train decoder using the same address for simple access).

To throw a spanner in the works, it is possible to have 2 locos with the same address operate independently of each other if one uses the MM protocol and the other is using DCC.

So a loco set with MM address 35 will not conflict with a loco with DCC address 35, because different protocols are used.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#11 Posted : 09 January 2017 00:14:16(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

From the 2003/2004 Yearbook.

csine.JPG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Danlake  
#12 Posted : 09 January 2017 03:51:21(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi all,

My experience with soft-sine is that it is a beautiful, quiet engine.

However some models are prone to stall with just the slightest power disruptions from dirty tracks etc.

If you install a capacitator or a power bank in the loco I reckon it's one of the smoothest Marklin engine you can drive. Without it can very easily become a train you just keep in storage and hardly run...

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 09 January 2017 08:21:41(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
So a loco set with MM address 35 will not conflict with a loco with DCC address 35, because different protocols are used.
Many decoders set to address 35 will by default respond to both MM and DCC. If decoders support both MM and DCC you can usually disable protocols separately in the decoder.
I only use DCC addresses above 255 to avoid any potential conflicts.
On controllers with keyboards or on-screen keyboards long DCC addresses can easily be selected.

For decoders from ESU and Uhlenbrock, MM and DCC have the same priority.
Märklin decoders ignore MM commands when they detect DCC on the track.
Both approaches have advantages and disadvantages. It's typically Märklin that they didn't follow ESUs example, but created a new pattern with new problems.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0