Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Fernando Perez  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2017 02:05:57(UTC)
Fernando Perez

Australia   

I am in real trouble to save the address of the m83 decoders in my Cs2, I followed step by step two tutorials on YouTube, because the information provided in the instructions manual of the decoders is not very clear (for me because I am just learning) Confused

The tutorials are:

M83 CS2 POM no notes Peter Clapcott, and the other one is "How to use custom CV list with the marklin station 2. Railway.zone, and here is where I am confused, because I don't even know what CV means. 

Anyway, according to the manual two CVs (CV1 ; CV9) must be set in order to program an address in DCC (the protocol that I am using), but I don't know how to set the CVs, I was trying to do with the tutorials, but probably I did something wrong because the Cs2 said something like the writing of the CV variable was not successful. Now the group in the decoder was working ok, but the group load was not saved properly, the DIP number were 1 and 10 for the DCC protocol, but as soon the CS2 shutdown the settings is lost.

I think the problem are CV1 and CV9 not set in order, because in the tutorials that step is not clear, I don't want to think that the Cs2 is faulty, because in Melbourne are not Marklin dealers.

I will appreciate if someone can help me to solve this, and for sure I will ask some more questions in the future because as I said beforeI learning.

Thanks you all

Regards

Fernando
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 08 January 2017 02:50:20(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Fernando Perez Go to Quoted Post
save the address of the m83 decoders in my CS2,

The address cannot be set via POM on the Main.
(also POM only works for DCC - for CVs other than the address you need to set DIP switch position 10 on)

You need to use the programming track - and the REG (register programming) as with 6021
OR
just set the DIP switches

Why are you not using the DIP switches for the address ?
Peter
Offline Fernando Perez  
#3 Posted : 08 January 2017 05:03:06(UTC)
Fernando Perez

Australia   
Hi Peter

Thanks for your quick response. Yes I addressed with the DIP switches 1 the address and 10 DCC, everything was working until shutting down the CS2, because after restarted the central station they didn't work anymore. That is why I think the information was not saved properly. I followed step by step your tutorial, but I am still not sure how to set CV1 and CV9 in order. I addressed them in DCC protocol.

Any idea why, or what I did wrong?

Thanks again Peter

Regards

Fernando
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 08 January 2017 09:15:08(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Fernando Perez Go to Quoted Post
Hi Peter

Thanks for your quick response. Yes I addressed with the DIP switches 1 the address and 10 DCC, everything was working until shutting down the CS2, because after restarted the central station they didn't work anymore. That is why I think the information was not saved properly. I followed step by step your tutorial, but I am still not sure how to set CV1 and CV9 in order. I addressed them in DCC protocol.

With DIP switch 1 set, the m83 ports are addressed 1 to 4
If this is what you want, then there is no further addressing needed on the m83.

It sounds like you should check the CS2 setting.
Can you confirm that the CS shows DCC mode for addresses 1-4

I will comment that a m83 with an overridden address (CV set to something that the DIP switch does not represent) will retain the soft-CV address until the DIP switch is changed
I would suggest (just to clear the air in case you have altered something/partial address change), that you
- power off the m83
- change the dipswitch to any other address
- power on (the m83 will note the change , and reset the address to that represented by the DIP switches)
- power off
- change the dipswitch back to 1
- power on (to force the address change)

Peter
Offline Fernando Perez  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2017 09:28:34(UTC)
Fernando Perez

Australia   
Ok Peter.
I will do that. What happen if I check with the brand new decoder. I have another one, just to find out if work.
The problem is when I shutdown the Cs2. I lost every setting.
I let you know if I have success.

Fernando
Offline Fernando Perez  
#6 Posted : 08 January 2017 09:50:41(UTC)
Fernando Perez

Australia   
Nothing happen. The only way to get it working again is to disconnect all the yellows and blue wires an address the DIP switches.
What happen with the CV button to group the decoder?
Offline Fernando Perez  
#7 Posted : 08 January 2017 09:56:21(UTC)
Fernando Perez

Australia   
If I disconnect all the wires and address the DIP switches again the Cs2 shows the DCC mode for addresses 1 to 4, but if I shutdown the Cs2 I lost the setting.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#8 Posted : 08 January 2017 16:45:14(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Just how do you "shut down" the CS2? Because if you just cut the power to the thing it might not save all information.

Also if using DCC remember that besides DIP switch no. 1, you also need to have DIP switch no. 10 set to ON.
Offline Fernando Perez  
#9 Posted : 09 January 2017 00:10:23(UTC)
Fernando Perez

Australia   
Hi maerklinlife

Thanks for you response

I shutdown the central station through setup option or pressing the stop button for more than 8 seconds and the setup is lost (not the information), the turnout symbols and the decoder group is there, but I have not response from it. That is why I think I am not saving, or the Cs2 is not saving the information properly.
In the manual of the decoders say something CV1 and CV9 must be set in order to program an address in DCC. Probably that is the area where the information is wrong.
Probably is an overridden address how Peter said and I tried to clean the air how he suggested, but I have not success.

The layout has 14 turnout and 4 uncoupler tracks. I began in this hobby with a starter set and I bought the Cs2, tracks and I starting to build the layout and the first decoder was 74461, just to see how it works, but because is a permanent layout I decided to change to m83 decoders.

I think Peter is right is an overriden address, but I couldn't fix that, I couldn't clean the air.

I will try to set up the rest of the decoders and see what happens. The solucion maybe is to change the address on that particular one, because I am using 1 and 10, but this the address the CS2 shows on the screen for that decoder in component 1, and I am not able to change to another address. I am frustrated.

Regards

Fernando
Offline Martin T  
#10 Posted : 19 September 2019 15:10:57(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Hello Fernando,

I´m browsing your thread here with problems addressing the m83, because I have run into the same problems.

Did you find a solution for this problem?
What was the solution?
Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html
Offline JohnjeanB  
#11 Posted : 20 September 2019 14:36:58(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Martin
Sorry to interfere with your conversation.
As a user of CS2 and M83 (in fact 6083, 60831 and 60832) I have opted for using the switches for configuration. This is because it never changes or forgets the programmed address.
The switch position is conveniently shown by your CS2.

Yes this is a personal choice but why choose complicated solutions when simple ones are available.

If you use switches it leaves you 320 possible addresses when using DCC (Sorry I use MM / MFX) and chances are you don't have a need for more addresses.
Cheers

Jean
Offline clapcott  
#12 Posted : 22 September 2019 10:40:11(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

If you use switches it leaves you 320 possible addresses when using DCC (Sorry I use MM / MFX) and chances are you don't have a need for more addresses.

Umm.
I do concur that soft address programming is not needed and actually introduces unnecessary confusion.

To offer a bit more elaboration

The switches on a 6083/60831 operate as 4 pairs with each pair offering 3 states.
This will restrict you to - (3x3x3x3 = 81 being 0 to 80) - 80 boxes ( with 4 ports that is 320 addresses) -
These items work in MM only

For the 60831/60832 the 9 switches (operating as binary) will allow for 511 boxes (with 4 ports that means "approx" 2044 addresses) -
With switch pos 10 ...
- set OFF = MM only - 320 are currently implemented (the MM format DOES provide for a base extension to 255 instead of 80 )
- set ON = all addresses are usable in DCC.

The introduction of "modes for 8 addresses" on the 60832 has not meant that the port range is 511 * 8

The comment about the CS edit screen "aiding" in the setting of the switches is ignoring the FUD Marklin that like to introduce for the hell of it.
For some reason that I cannot fathom the image fails to work above 320 even for DCC.

Be assured, that you CAN set the switches up to 511 (all 1-9 switches ON) to get your m83 to address ports 2041-2044
Peter