Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mulle87  
#1 Posted : 05 January 2017 23:57:50(UTC)
mulle87

Sweden   
Hi

Im new to this but think its very interresting with models and trains.

Today I found some old trains at my parents house with the brand Märklin

I think they are from the 1950´s

I got some questions about this and I hope someone can help me

1. How do I know what scale the train is in.
2. How can I determine the manufacturingyear?
3. The trains are a bit worn. should I and in that case how do I restore them?

thanks!

//Martin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mulle87
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 06 January 2017 00:44:45(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mulle87 Go to Quoted Post
Hi......

thanks!

//Martin

Hi Martin,
Q1. The only way for us to tell is by seeing a photo,which you can post on this forum.
Q2. The photo will reveal that too.
Q3. This might be advised when we have photos.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 06 January 2017 05:40:25(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi

Im new to this but think its very interresting with models and trains.

Today I found some old trains at my parents house with the brand Märklin

I think they are from the 1950´s

I got some questions about this and I hope someone can help me

thanks!

//Martin

1: Scale, measure the wheel gauge. H0 is 16.5mm.

2: If they are Maerklin, you will know. They are proud of their name and always have it on the chassis or body somewhere. As for the year, you'll need catalogues or something like the Koll reference guide. Or just ask here but we'll need photos and details such as markings etc.

3: Restoration depends entirely on each item. Some are very common and if they are scratched or worn you can make them look much better.

Other items can be quite valuable and may be more appealing and worth more in their original condition even if it looks at first glance to be poor.

As Kimball said, photos will tell us a lot! ThumpUp
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline mulle87  
#4 Posted : 07 January 2017 00:35:16(UTC)
mulle87

Sweden   
Thanks for your replies :)

Im attaching pictures from the 13 locomotives/waggons I found so far
Looking forward to your input

IMG_0532.JPGIMG_0534.JPGIMG_0533.JPGIMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0513.JPGIMG_0512.JPGIMG_0515.JPGIMG_0514.JPG

IMG_0544.JPGIMG_0546.JPGIMG_0545.JPGIMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0519.JPGIMG_0517.JPGIMG_0516.JPGIMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0537.JPGIMG_0536.JPGIMG_0539.JPGIMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0528.JPGIMG_0529.JPGIMG_0530.JPGIMG_0531.JPG

IMG_0525.JPGIMG_0526.JPGIMG_0524.JPGIMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0520.JPGIMG_0521.JPGIMG_0522.JPGIMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0541.JPGIMG_0543.JPGIMG_0542.JPGIMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0510.JPGIMG_0507.JPGIMG_0508.JPGIMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0549.JPGIMG_0548.JPGIMG_0551.JPGIMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0554.JPGIMG_0553.JPGIMG_0552.JPGIMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0557.JPGIMG_0556.JPGIMG_0559.JPGIMG_0558.JPG
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mulle87
Offline DaleSchultz  
#5 Posted : 07 January 2017 03:23:34(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
yes, these are HO scale Märklin and they look like 1950s era.

Many of the cars need new springs underneath the pull the couplings.
Slider pick up shoes should be replaced.

The locos will need some cleaning and servicing of the motor. New brushes.

The good news is that your local Märklin dealer can probably supply all those parts for you.

Do NOT plug in the transformer until the old power cable to it has been replaced. The old power cable has probably perished by now and you could electrocute yourself on the metal case. New analog power supplies are also available from Märklin and will work the trains.

How much restoration of paintwork and bent ladders etc. is up to you.

Some of the metal shows signs of 'zinkpest' (white powdery surface) - the natural decay of the metal used post war. If it has become fragile, there is little that you can do, other than place them in a display.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline mulle87  
#6 Posted : 07 January 2017 16:01:36(UTC)
mulle87

Sweden   
Thanks for the info!

Can someone please tell me what whould be best to do with the differen things in restoration. paint. parts and so on...

What could be the prices on the different ones? I think the G800 is the most valuable
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 07 January 2017 16:45:48(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Restoration of these items would have to be a labour of love as, to be honest, their condition is quite bad and the value of most items would be quite low.

Removing the white oxidation would have to be the main concern. I would try dipping the affected areas in something like vinegar or lemon juice. However the paintwork will have been severely compromised so I would try a combination of stripping old paint off and respraying all over, or just touching up less affected areas.

If you are not that much into the hobby and are just looking for some cash I would advertise the whole lot "as is" on ebay and see how much you get.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Mark_1602  
#8 Posted : 07 January 2017 19:19:52(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Hi,

I agree with Ray that the best thing to do would be to sell all of these items as a lot on Ebay without trying to restore them. Their condition is too bad, so they only have a low value anyway. If you like vintage Märklin, you can use the proceeds to buy a few items in better condition instead. Märklin trains produced in the 1970s or 1980s are relatively inexpensive and quite easy to find in very good, slightly used condition, apart from a few well-known collector's items dating back to those decades.

Best regards,

Mark

P.S. You might sell the G 800 separately because it will attract some interest despite the bad condition. Don't forget to describe all the stuff as 'defect' if you auction them on Ebay and don't set a minimum price higher than 1 euro. Every time I sold an item as 'defect' on Ebay in the past, I got more money than I had expected.
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 07 January 2017 20:29:43(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I agree with Ray and Mark. Items that have the 'zinkpest' will require a lot of work to repair, and to get in the best condition may need new parts.

The problem with zinkpest is that impurities exist in the alloy that causes it to decompose, producing the white residue, and weakening the parts affected. The problem is that this may also affect the chassis, and when that happens the loco almost becomes a writeoff without skilled work to repair it, or else replace the affected parts. This becomes uneconomical unless the model is regarded as rare or otherwise very desirable. The G800 falls into this category, but the other items it is probably only worth selling as a single lot. You may be surprised at how much you get as most of the wagons appear to have the early three digit catalog numbers, so there may be a desirability to them.

Offline Z-nerd  
#10 Posted : 07 January 2017 22:40:17(UTC)
Z-nerd

Sweden   
I agree with the other ones. Sell everything as it is and don't try to restore anything.

If you live in Sweden use tradera under the headline "Vagnar H0 Växelström" (AC)

Expect to get about 30-40SEK (3,30-4,40$) for the Jamaica-wagon. About 60-70SEK (6,60-7,70$) for the 4506 closed goods car with closing lights.

The green passenger wagon is about 40SEK (4,40$) in that condition.

The electric loco and the railbus will also bring in some money. Maybe 300-400SEK (33-44$) if they work properly. The steam loco is hard to value, because it's in such poor condition.

The rest isnt worth dealing with. I would be happy if I got anything for it.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Z-nerd
Offline mulle87  
#11 Posted : 07 January 2017 23:09:45(UTC)
mulle87

Sweden   
OK thanks for all the replies. very thankfull.

I think I may have a new hobby (always loved modelling, now its time to play ;)

Thinking about building something new :)

Any tips where to start? any startkits? good controllers etc.. ?

//Martin

Offline cookee_nz  
#12 Posted : 08 January 2017 02:51:00(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

//Martin

Hi Martin,

I'm going to go out on a limb here and offer an alternate view.

I'm not saying others are wrong, but considering that you are new to this, it's worth taking a bit of time to digest.

1: The trains did not cost you anything, so there's no 'loss' as such regardless of what you do.

2: There is obviously a link to your family if you found them at your parents. Did you have them as a child?, I'm not really sure what the connection is but it may be relevant.

3: Yes the condition is not great, but sometimes these things can appear worse than they actually are and they are still an example of a classic old toy, for better or for worse. :-)

Zincpest can be a problem, but not all examples of what appears to be Zincpest actually are, almost like pseudo-zinkpest. Sometimes it can be a form of corrosion caused by poor storage in damp conditions. The early examples of Zinkpest are serious, no doubt about that, and eventually those items will disintegrate completely but I'm not sure you're are in that category, or at least not for some time yet.

I have had examples that looked like yours but which after a good clean and then applying an inhibitor such a polish, or just a spray with something like CRC, WD40 etc will neutralise the effect.

I would just hate to see you get rid of them, get yourself into the hobby and then sometime down the track regret getting rid of these early examples.

Almost all of the items will come apart very easily, much easier than some modern items because they are mostly screwed together.

If you attempt to clean them up, and find you are disappointed with the results and they hold no appeal for you, then by all means sell them, it will not make any difference to the price you might eventually get.

As for the G800, a lovely Loco, and again, you might be surprised what a good clean will do. Inspect the chassis/frame carefully, if it is in good order then it may just be the body housing which needs attention. I have been sitting on a G800 original box for years hoping that one day a Loco to fill it might come along and even one like yours would be a project I'd enjoy.

As I said, if the frame appears good then the Loco may only require a normal decent service (strip and clean motor, replace brushes and tyres etc, lubricate) and it may run like a dream , leaving you only to tidy up the body. Personally, I would not worry about trying to repaint it, the corrosion may prevent the paint from adhering anyway but even just touching up the red outlines will help.

Other items on the rolling stock such as the bent ladder, missing coupling springs etc are relatively easy items to fix, the ladder should straighten out ok and springs can be replaced. You'll need a decent set of tools, pliers, jewellers screwdrivers, tweezers etc, or just get the Marklin Toolkit which will have most of the important ones

Of course it's entirely up to you but I am sure you can see the appeal in those old items. The red Railbus DB800 (3016) will be an easy fix, the body is plastic so no corrosion issues there and they are easy to maintain. And it's not in too bad condition actually, I've seen far worse.

I would suggest you have a go at that one first because it will be the easiest to get some experience and confidence on and will probably require the least parts. The railbus is designed to only couple with the additional 4018 matching trailer, not with any of the other rolling stock.

Next would be the Red/Brown CE800 (3002). The flaking paint is very common on those. I had a green one in very similar shape so I removed the wire hand-railings (carefully remove the split-pins and pull out from the body) stripped the paint and removed the window plastic. Then gave the body a respray with a Tamiya spray can. Make sure to apply an undercoat first so that the new paint does not come away.

I found a Red that was reasonably close, then masked the body and sprayed the roof silver/grey. Refitted the handrails and windows and what a difference. If you have a very steady hand you can try hi-lighting the numbering on the cab. You need a very fine artists brush for that.

Again, like the Railbus, the chassis on those CE800's are very solid, well-made and generally easy to work on but may require only a bit more work. You don't even have to paint it, leave it like it is it will just look like it's seen very heavy work in the shunting yard!!

Once you have those two up and running, then you will have a better feel for the G800 and whether you want to tackle that. If not, let me make you an offer :-)

You did not show any photo and a controller was there was a wise caution about not attempting to use one until you have it checked. Presumably there is more than the photos you put up?, what about the track, what shape is that in?, what other rolling stock, transformer type, and do you have any other accessories, buildings etc?

I tell you what, I reckon if you lay out a few sections of track, and make up a consist of a couple of Loco's with some of the rolling stock behind, it will still look impressive!! ThumpUp (and may just inspire you).

Cheers

Steve
NZ
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline mulle87  
#13 Posted : 08 January 2017 13:41:24(UTC)
mulle87

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

//Martin

Hi Martin,

I'm going to go out on a limb here and offer an alternate view.

I'm not saying others are wrong, but considering that you are new to this, it's worth taking a bit of time to digest.

1: The trains did not cost you anything, so there's no 'loss' as such regardless of what you do.

2: There is obviously a link to your family if you found them at your parents. Did you have them as a child?, I'm not really sure what the connection is but it may be relevant.

3: Yes the condition is not great, but sometimes these things can appear worse than they actually are and they are still an example of a classic old toy, for better or for worse. :-)

Zincpest can be a problem, but not all examples of what appears to be Zincpest actually are, almost like pseudo-zinkpest. Sometimes it can be a form of corrosion caused by poor storage in damp conditions. The early examples of Zinkpest are serious, no doubt about that, and eventually those items will disintegrate completely but I'm not sure you're are in that category, or at least not for some time yet.

I have had examples that looked like yours but which after a good clean and then applying an inhibitor such a polish, or just a spray with something like CRC, WD40 etc will neutralise the effect.

I would just hate to see you get rid of them, get yourself into the hobby and then sometime down the track regret getting rid of these early examples.

Almost all of the items will come apart very easily, much easier than some modern items because they are mostly screwed together.

If you attempt to clean them up, and find you are disappointed with the results and they hold no appeal for you, then by all means sell them, it will not make any difference to the price you might eventually get.

As for the G800, a lovely Loco, and again, you might be surprised what a good clean will do. Inspect the chassis/frame carefully, if it is in good order then it may just be the body housing which needs attention. I have been sitting on a G800 original box for years hoping that one day a Loco to fill it might come along and even one like yours would be a project I'd enjoy.

As I said, if the frame appears good then the Loco may only require a normal decent service (strip and clean motor, replace brushes and tyres etc, lubricate) and it may run like a dream , leaving you only to tidy up the body. Personally, I would not worry about trying to repaint it, the corrosion may prevent the paint from adhering anyway but even just touching up the red outlines will help.

Other items on the rolling stock such as the bent ladder, missing coupling springs etc are relatively easy items to fix, the ladder should straighten out ok and springs can be replaced. You'll need a decent set of tools, pliers, jewellers screwdrivers, tweezers etc, or just get the Marklin Toolkit which will have most of the important ones

Of course it's entirely up to you but I am sure you can see the appeal in those old items. The red Railbus DB800 (3016) will be an easy fix, the body is plastic so no corrosion issues there and they are easy to maintain. And it's not in too bad condition actually, I've seen far worse.

I would suggest you have a go at that one first because it will be the easiest to get some experience and confidence on and will probably require the least parts. The railbus is designed to only couple with the additional 4018 matching trailer, not with any of the other rolling stock.

Next would be the Red/Brown CE800 (3002). The flaking paint is very common on those. I had a green one in very similar shape so I removed the wire hand-railings (carefully remove the split-pins and pull out from the body) stripped the paint and removed the window plastic. Then gave the body a respray with a Tamiya spray can. Make sure to apply an undercoat first so that the new paint does not come away.

I found a Red that was reasonably close, then masked the body and sprayed the roof silver/grey. Refitted the handrails and windows and what a difference. If you have a very steady hand you can try hi-lighting the numbering on the cab. You need a very fine artists brush for that.

Again, like the Railbus, the chassis on those CE800's are very solid, well-made and generally easy to work on but may require only a bit more work. You don't even have to paint it, leave it like it is it will just look like it's seen very heavy work in the shunting yard!!

Once you have those two up and running, then you will have a better feel for the G800 and whether you want to tackle that. If not, let me make you an offer :-)

You did not show any photo and a controller was there was a wise caution about not attempting to use one until you have it checked. Presumably there is more than the photos you put up?, what about the track, what shape is that in?, what other rolling stock, transformer type, and do you have any other accessories, buildings etc?

I tell you what, I reckon if you lay out a few sections of track, and make up a consist of a couple of Loco's with some of the rolling stock behind, it will still look impressive!! ThumpUp (and may just inspire you).

Cheers

Steve
NZ

Thanks for all the inputs :) I really appriciate it!

I will upload some more photos in a new reply !

Is there any good onlineshops for bying the spareparts for the railbus?

//Martin
Offline mulle87  
#14 Posted : 08 January 2017 13:46:18(UTC)
mulle87

Sweden   
Some more pictures of what I found

IMG_0562.JPGIMG_0561.JPGIMG_0564.JPGIMG_0565.JPGIMG_0560.JPGIMG_0563.JPGIMG_0571.JPGIMG_0569.JPGIMG_0567.JPGIMG_0568.JPGIMG_0570.JPGIMG_0566.JPGIMG_0572.JPGIMG_0574.JPGIMG_0573.JPG
Offline Z-nerd  
#15 Posted : 08 January 2017 16:35:36(UTC)
Z-nerd

Sweden   
Some more pictures of what I found

Interesting photos of old, worn Märklin items. You have a Märklin car, which is quite rare nowadays.
I havent seen the wagon with the crane before, is it original or maybe rebuilt ?

The catenary posts are sought after at netauctions like Tradera.

The old transformator is not 100% reliable. Be cautious when you use it.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Z-nerd
Offline Aussies-Online  
#16 Posted : 19 January 2017 06:12:59(UTC)
Aussies-Online

Australia   
Interesting to see all that old stuff.
The track looks in amazing condition compared to everything else.
Which is a surprise to me.
The only rust problem I have is only and always with the tracks.