Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline FransHO  
#1 Posted : 31 December 2016 21:06:08(UTC)
FransHO

United States   
I am not sure if this is a wiring or short circuit problem. I have a pretty old fashioned layout, no fancy electronic stuff. This is 1980s technology.

I have two locos running on two power packs. One on the 3rd rail track, the other on the catenary. Some time ago, the 3rd rail track stopped running. When I change direction, the lights of the loco go on, but the loco is still not running. No (or not sufficient) current seems to go through the under tracks. The loco is tested and is not the problem. It just seems that power is "leaking" away somewhere. Any idea what might be going on, or how to troubleshoot this? I checked all the connections, and they seem fine.

Frans
Offline SteamNut  
#2 Posted : 31 December 2016 23:12:49(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Perhaps the polarity of the transformers,if you are using two, are wrong. In the old Marklin handbook it shows how how to check for this. Basically take a 16v light bulb and jump the two circuits on the third rail with the power on. If it burns bright turn around the plug of one transformer 180 degrees and reinsert. Hope the helps- Fred
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 01 January 2017 02:04:02(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It is possible that there is a polarity issue with one of the transformers.
Before you go and start testing, I have a question or two…

1) Make sure that the red leads from the transformers are connected to A) the catenary and B) the centre rail (lead) and that the brown leads are connected to the track. Are you using a common lead for both transformers or do you have separate power supply tracks for each transformer? If using accessories, such as lights, signals or switches, how are these connected to each transformer? If you have accessories, disconnect each accessory one at a time to determine if this is the cause of your issue (by elimination).

2) Do both locomotives have pantographs or is one a diesel or steam engine? If both have pantos, what happens if you switch power source for each locomotive?
If yes, are you running both locomotives with pantographs raised, even the one that is powered from the rails? If yes, lower that panto and test to see if that solves the problem.
Make sure that the power selection switch on both locomotives is correctly set to the selected source and not halfway between the two.

3) What happens if you connect only one transformer at a time? Before testing, make sure that you disconnect the other transformer from the wall and from the track.
If there is a potential polarity issue, connecting only one transformer should solve that issue on that part of the layout. Perform the same test after disconnecting that transformer and reconnecting the other one to the track leads. If both work separately, it is likely that the issue is due to polarity.

4) What happens to a coach that is equipped with illumination powered from the rails? Are the lights on when there is power or does it display the same problem as the locomotive?

5) I forgot to ask which tracks you are using, the metal (M) or plastic (K) ones? The older M track catenary masts have metal bases that contact the ground and can short out if the live comes into contact with the ground. The catenary mast mountings for K track have plastic clips which prevents this.

6) The next thing that I would check is to inspect the catenary masts to see if any of the masts are warm after use. This would be an indicator of a possible short between one of the masts and the track

7) If using K track, you should check the connection clips at the track ends to ensure that there is no short that affects the third rail circuit. If you performed test #2 and everything was ok with just one transformer, you can ignore this.

and lastly, If you don't do it for more than a few seconds, take the brown and red leads from the transformer connected to the track and swap them. That should have the same result as inverting the polarity at the plug. If everything works, then reversing the polarity at the plug should solve the issue.

Regards

Mike C
Offline FransHO  
#4 Posted : 01 January 2017 23:49:33(UTC)
FransHO

United States   

Thanks for all this helpful advice, Mike. Here are some quick answers to the questions, before I go and try out some of these tests after dinner...

1) Make sure that the red leads from the transformers are connected to A) the catenary and B) the centre rail (lead) and that the brown leads are connected to the track. Are you using a common lead for both transformers or do you have separate power supply tracks for each transformer? If using accessories, such as lights, signals or switches, how are these connected to each transformer? If you have accessories, disconnect each accessory one at a time to determine if this is the cause of your issue (by elimination).

>> I checked that all red wires are connected. I have two transformers, the brown leads are connected to each other, and the one red to the centre rail, and the other red to the catenary. I run all lighting on the one yellow, and all switches and signals to the other. I'll try seeing if any of the accessories are causing the toruble!

2) Do both locomotives have pantographs or is one a diesel or steam engine? If both have pantos, what happens if you switch power source for each locomotive?
If yes, are you running both locomotives with pantographs raised, even the one that is powered from the rails? If yes, lower that panto and test to see if that solves the problem.
Make sure that the power selection switch on both locomotives is correctly set to the selected source and not halfway between the two.

>> One is running on pantographs (SBB Ae 3/6), the other is a steam engine (DB series 38 -- my favorite, since I remember trip with that loco as child in the 1970s). I checked that all these were set correctly. I switched over the Ae3/6 to the centre rail, and it did not work either. So, I've eliminated the locos as the source of the problem.

3) What happens if you connect only one transformer at a time? Before testing, make sure that you disconnect the other transformer from the wall and from the track.
If there is a potential polarity issue, connecting only one transformer should solve that issue on that part of the layout. Perform the same test after disconnecting that transformer and reconnecting the other one to the track leads. If both work separately, it is likely that the issue is due to polarity.

>> I tried testing one at the time, but never thought to disconnect one from the wall socket. I'll do so.

4) What happens to a coach that is equipped with illumination powered from the rails? Are the lights on when there is power or does it display the same problem as the locomotive?

>> Coach lights to the same as the locomotive: no power at all, until I switch back, and then they light up very brightly. I eliminated the coach lights, and am certain that those are not the problem.

5) I forgot to ask which tracks you are using, the metal (M) or plastic (K) ones? The older M track catenary masts have metal bases that contact the ground and can short out if the live comes into contact with the ground. The catenary mast mountings for K track have plastic clips which prevents this.

>> All wonderful old-fashioned M tracks. If there was a short with the catenary, wouldn't the electric loco then not work as well?

6) The next thing that I would check is to inspect the catenary masts to see if any of the masts are warm after use. This would be an indicator of a possible short between one of the masts and the track

>> I'll check that.

7) If using K track, you should check the connection clips at the track ends to ensure that there is no short that affects the third rail circuit. If you performed test #2 and everything was ok with just one transformer, you can ignore this.

and lastly, If you don't do it for more than a few seconds, take the brown and red leads from the transformer connected to the track and swap them. That should have the same result as inverting the polarity at the plug. If everything works, then reversing the polarity at the plug should solve the issue.

>>> OK, I'll go off to my attic and try all this! Thanks for the advice, and I'll come back with a full report.

Offline FransHO  
#5 Posted : 01 January 2017 23:52:15(UTC)
FransHO

United States   
Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post
Perhaps the polarity of the transformers,if you are using two, are wrong. In the old Marklin handbook it shows how how to check for this. Basically take a 16v light bulb and jump the two circuits on the third rail with the power on. If it burns bright turn around the plug of one transformer 180 degrees and reinsert. Hope the helps- Fred

Thanks ! I'll try this, but since I have two 110V USA transformers, they only fit into the socket one way.
Offline FransHO  
#6 Posted : 02 January 2017 01:53:53(UTC)
FransHO

United States   
You both are right. It has to do something with the polarity. I measured and there is current between the red of the middle rail and the red of the catenary. Switching around the plug of the transformer did not help the issue: there still is current between the two. I completely disconnected the catenary transformer, and the problem persists, even though there is no longer any current between the two reds.. Any more suggestions? Could it have to do with the way I wired the ground? (They are all connected to each other.)

Mike: disconnecting the yellow wires does not solve the problem.

Thanks for the help so far. It gave me some helpful advice on what to look for !! If you have any more suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Frans
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 02 January 2017 19:09:43(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
What happens if you swap the leads from the transformers, so that the one that was powering the catenary is now powering the track and vice-versa. It would be interesting to see whether the problem would move to the locomotive powered via the pantograph. If the problem remains with the locomotive powered via centre rail, the problem is likely with the track.

As a test, you can also remove one of the two transformers and connect both reds together to the other transformer. Once done, you should be able to control both trains simultaneously from the same transformer. Test both transformers in this manner to make sure that they are both working normally. If both rail and catenary work during this test, then the problem may be related to the way that they are connected.

I did not understand whether the AC plugs are polarized. You seemed to suggest above that you could only plug the transformer in one way, but you mention switching the plug around in the next post.

Here are some additional tests that you can try:

How is the brown wire for the transformer connected to the catenary attached to the track? Are you using a second power track (just the brown lead) or some other connection?
Do you have extra feeder tracks (5111, 5131 or 5103)? If yes, try swapping out the ones that are installed in your layout. This will eliminate any possible problem at that point. You can also inspect to see whether the leads may be inverted on one of the feeder track sections in use.

If you are using a 5131 with interference supressor to connect the brown lead from the catenary transformer, it connects the return from the that transformer to the centre rail used by the other transformer, which could potentially be your problem. I would also think that it any feeder track with suppressor would serve to make this connection, so you may wish to replace such tracks with ones without the suppressor.

Disconnect the track transformer from the track, so that it is only the catenary transformer is connected. Remove the locomotive (Ae 3/6) and leave the steam engine on the rails or a car with light. What happens when you try to reverse the direction of the transformer? Does the steam engine move or light up (engine or car with light)?

Next test, what happens if you remove the Ae 3/6 from the tracks? Does the steam engine still have no power?

Please post the results of these tests so I can evaluate.

Regards

Mike C

Offline FransHO  
#8 Posted : 02 January 2017 21:05:27(UTC)
FransHO

United States   
Mike:

I ran all the tests you recommended, and I think I finally narrowed the problem down to the transformer itself, possibly in combination with a problem in the P8 (BR38) engine, which was not there before when I last tested it.

I switched the centre rail to the other (catenary) transformer, and while the P8 still had some trouble, the coach lighting seemed to work fine, and so did the Ae3/6 after I switched it to centre rail operation.

The other transformer switched to the catenary had the same problem with the Ae3/6 switched to catenary: it only changed direction but the 'normal' power supply did not do anything.

I finally made a small test track, and tested each transformer individually, with the Ae3/6 and coach running on it. The catenary transformer did fine, and the center rail transformer only reacted to the switchback function.

My P8 still seems to have some problems: when I run current through it, all the current seems to want to go directly to the switchback function. I think this might be something with its motor, or the brushes. I'll have to check the engine.

To answer your question below: the catenary transformer has a polarized 110V plug, while the other one can be plugged in both ways.

In short: the answer seems clear: I just need to get a new transformer. All your advice helped me figure out this very basic fact, but it also taught me a lot about polarity. So Mike (and Fred), thanks for responding to this thread.

Frans

I did not understand whether the AC plugs are polarized. You seemed to suggest above that you could only plug the transformer in one way, but you mention switching the plug around in the next post.

>> one of them is, the other is not...

Offline Crazy Harry  
#9 Posted : 02 January 2017 21:59:13(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Originally Posted by: FransHO Go to Quoted Post
Mike:

My P8 still seems to have some problems: when I run current through it, all the current seems to want to go directly to the switchback function. I think this might be something with its motor, or the brushes. I'll have to check the engine.

If the reverser is trying to actuate when the track voltage is low that would indicate that the spring on the reverser has fallen off or is too weak. Do the lights work on the P8 on your test setup?

Harold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline FransHO  
#10 Posted : 06 January 2017 22:33:06(UTC)
FransHO

United States   
Originally Posted by: Crazy Harry Go to Quoted Post
Mike:

If the reverser is trying to actuate when the track voltage is low that would indicate that the spring on the reverser has fallen off or is too weak. Do the lights work on the P8 on your test setup?

Harold.

Yes, they do. I'll take it apart and see what's up with the reverser. But first I'm waiting for a new transformer to arrive to power a test track!
Offline FransHO  
#11 Posted : 07 January 2017 02:23:05(UTC)
FransHO

United States   
Originally Posted by: Crazy Harry Go to Quoted Post
Mike:

Harold.

Yes, they do. I'll take it apart and see what's up with the reverser. But first I'm waiting for a new transformer to arrive to power a test track!

All problems solved. A new transformer solved the electrical problems, and the P8 truned out to be a mechanical problem: as soon as I unscrewed the housing, it ran fine. It must have been screwed on too tightly... Thanks all for the help. Love this forum. I'll post some pictures soon.

Frans

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by FransHO
Offline Crazy Harry  
#12 Posted : 07 January 2017 22:36:11(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Frans,

Glad to hear everything is working now. Enjoy the trains!

Harold.