Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline AmalfiCoast  
#1 Posted : 25 December 2016 19:22:06(UTC)
AmalfiCoast

United States   
Merry Christmas everyone. I tried installing a Seuthe 10 smoke generator into my new Marklin 37927 locomotive and it does not seem to fit. The smoke unit will only go into the smokestack about 1 or 2 mm. I think it may be paint inside the smokestack that is causing the tight fit. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to fix it? I'm a little hesitant to try using a knife or sand paper in the smokestack. What do you think?

Thanks,
David
Offline Dave Banks  
#2 Posted : 25 December 2016 23:23:30(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hi David, #7226 or Seuthe No.10 should fit snugly down the stack. If there is any paint down the shoot you can clean it up gently with a flat screw driver / blade etc. Also check that your smoker is perfectly round & that it is not distorted at its base or any where up the tubes length. The material is soft & this can easily happen. If this is the case, get it into shape again gently with a pair of pliers using the half moon cut outs on the end of the pliers. Keep us posted on your progress.
D.A.Banks
Offline AmalfiCoast  
#3 Posted : 26 December 2016 00:34:20(UTC)
AmalfiCoast

United States   
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response and the information. I was able to get the smoke generator in by just pushing a little harder. I guess I was afraid to break something before. Do these smoke generators ever need to be removed for replacement or cleaning? If so, what is the best way to remove them?

Thanks,
David
Offline skeeterbuck  
#4 Posted : 26 December 2016 05:26:06(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Dave, good to hear you were able to get the smoke unit installed. ThumpUp

IIRC the unit are a little out of round on purpose to insure a snug fit and therefore good electrical contact. If I ever have to remove one, I remove the shell and push it out from the bottom. I would think trying to remove it back out the top would just run the risk on damage to the unit, the smoke stack, or most likely both. Cursing Just isn't worth the risk IMHO.

Come to think of it, I've only had to remove them when I converted my engines from analog to digital. I originally had Seuthe 11's as that what Marklin recommended originally for digital use. Now Seuthe 10 are good for both analog and digital and since they smoke better than the 11's, I substituted 10's for the 11's.

I've never had one burn out, and the only time I've had them clog up is when trying other smoke fluids. I now stick with the original Seuthe fluid and everything works fine.

Hope this helps,
Chuck
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 26 December 2016 07:08:56(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
I originally had Seuthe 11's as that what Marklin recommended originally for digital use. Now Seuthe 10 are good for both analog and digital and since they smoke better than the 11's, I substituted 10's for the 11's.
Some digital locos should use #11 (and Delta is digital), some digital locos should use #10.
The smoke generators have not changed, but the wiring inside the locos is different.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline AmalfiCoast  
#6 Posted : 27 December 2016 04:21:45(UTC)
AmalfiCoast

United States   
Hi Chuck,

Thanks so much for the information - it is very helpful! If I ever need to remove the smoke generator I will take the cover off.

David
Offline Minok  
#7 Posted : 03 January 2017 22:03:22(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I put one in a loco over the holidays and the issue I had was aligning the bottom wire to the plate the right way (or the contact to the body, or fluid)... not sure but after the initial seating (which worked well) no smoke. So I took the top off of the loco, pushed out the smoke unit again, looked at how it needs to be aligned and while I had it apart did a light sanding on the inside of the open smoke stack (just in case), put it together again, seated the generator again, put fluid in and poof- it worked. So it could have been any one of several issues in my case.

For maintenance, the Märklin kit includes a spare tube (the thin one in the middle) and a wire for cleaning it out, so I assume at some point one may need to pull out that tiny central tube and replace it/clear it with the wire, and reseat it (tweezers also came in the Märklin kit).
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134