Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline siroljuk  
#1 Posted : 16 December 2016 10:48:01(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello EveryoneBigGrin BigGrin

Now I have good news:

Yeaterday I updated my CS3 Plus to newest version and I saw that in Web-server is very good news:

Look at the bottom left side of the screen:

Steps to use the CS3 screen server

Start the CS3 screen server
     Open your VNC viewer
     Enter the IP of your CS3 + port 5900. Ex .: 192.168.1.5:5900

I did downloaded and installed VNC-wiever and YES YES YESThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
There it is real good PC-connection to CS3.
I have not tested it much but it seems to work fine.

The most important thing is IMHO, that Märklin use all ready made and tested third party software with they special software. It is good, very good.

I will get back to this thread and tell you my experiences around this feature later, now I am doing work with Routes and there is much to do in that area.

Meanwhile Happy Training

Regards

Jukka
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline siroljuk  
#2 Posted : 16 December 2016 14:36:01(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello againBigGrin

I have made some simple tests with this feature and it really looks good.
If you wonder what is VNC-viewer then look at here:

https://en.wikipedia.org...irtual_Network_Computing

I installed this to my computer:

and it works fine. You should remember that this feature must start from CS3's web-server.

CS3 Bildschrim Server Starten

You can use also simple screen-shot feature parallel with VNC-connection.

This fine feature of VNC-connection makes all kind of virtual connections possible. But if you start to try complex connection over Internet, remember that this kind of connections in open networks are security point of view rather vulnerable.

One thing still: I used VNC-feature in full scale and because of CS3's bugs I got my main computer to strange state and I had to reboot it.
When I checked my computer in that strange state I saw that there were some several same processes running at the same time used by Vnc.

This is normal in PC-world Windows 10 is not so good that it could handle all this kind of situations.Laugh Laugh

Jukka

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline abisel  
#3 Posted : 16 December 2016 15:02:31(UTC)
abisel

United States   
I don't know if you really need the VNC Viewer.

I was able to just type in the IP address for the CS3+ in my Firefox web browser and it gets the same image as you posted for the CS3.

Unless the VNC Viewer allows you to operate the CS3+ remotely from the PC.
Offline siroljuk  
#4 Posted : 16 December 2016 15:41:41(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello,
EXTRA VERY GOOD POINTBigGrin BigGrin

VNC specifically allows for the adoption of all commands. If and when you install and start to use VNC you should carefully study all possibilities which VNC will give you for configuring VNC properly.

I'm sorry I could not tell you on this important issue before reminding me.

Jukka
Offline Piper  
#5 Posted : 16 December 2016 17:37:06(UTC)
Piper

South Africa   
BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Thanks Jukka.

More good news. The MAINStation on iPad also works.BigGrin

Pieter

Era I-V / HO / C-Track / MS2, CS2 & CS3 Z gauge. Insider
Member of Märklin Modellers Group
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Piper
Offline Goofy  
#6 Posted : 16 December 2016 17:50:23(UTC)
Goofy

I did noticed an interested read by connect also via cloud.
I use Mac and cloud.
Will this mean Märklins CS3 also work with the cloud?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline abisel  
#7 Posted : 16 December 2016 20:40:54(UTC)
abisel

United States   
so a couple questions:

Do you have to download and install VNC Connect to the CS3+?
And then download and install RealVNC Viewer to your desktop computer?
Or did you just install the RealVNC Viewer to your desktop, enter the CS3+ IP address +5900 and go from there?

See here:
https://www.realvnc.com/docs/get-connected.html

and here:
https://www.realvnc.com/docs/faq...d.html#faq-get-connected

This seems to be a good way to remotely control the CS3+. And not wait for software from Marklin?
Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 16 December 2016 22:09:37(UTC)
Minok

United States   
VNC is a software protocol that makes your computer screen, keyboard and mouse interface to the remote system. So your computers screen, keyboard and mouse would be interfaced the native CS3 software running ON the central station.
Another popular VNC client (only needed on your computer) is tightVNC

Using a web browser your computer mouse and screen and keyboard interface to the web browser on your system, which displays a page sent to it from the remote CS3. It may be much the same as a VNC connection, except that the graphics rendering and clicking happens on your computer side (Web server route) vs on the CS3 side.

VNC connection gives you a bit tighter coupling to the remote system (CS3) - which would give better native interface (like sitting at the CS3 but no touchscreen I guess), while the web browser approach has to deal with what can be drawn/rendered in a web browser.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline siroljuk  
#9 Posted : 17 December 2016 08:07:48(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Goood MorningBigGrin BigGrin

Originally Posted by: abisel Go to Quoted Post
so a couple questions:

Do you have to download and install VNC Connect to the CS3+?
And then download and install RealVNC Viewer to your desktop computer?
Or did you just install the RealVNC Viewer to your desktop, enter the CS3+ IP address +5900 and go from there?

See here:
https://www.realvnc.com/docs/get-connected.html

and here:
https://www.realvnc.com/docs/faq...d.html#faq-get-connected

This seems to be a good way to remotely control the CS3+. And not wait for software from Marklin?

Just download VNC-Viewer and install it to your desktop or laptop.

Then open on your dektop/laptos web-brouser and connect to your CS3 normally.
Start CS3's screen server:

after that open vnc-server an make connection to CS3, post 5900

You dont't need to download and install any VNC-Server-software to your Laptotp/dekstop BUT . . . I you wnat start playing with more conplicated Internet connections with your friends who also have CS3 then you need also VNC-server.

I do not recommend playing with VNC server at all, use just VNC-viewer.

One thing I have to say considering VNC-connections over all.

Virtual world in PC is quite old technology, and it its quite complicated to get all functioning reliable( because there are computers with very very complicated programs).
Even though software companies has tested their products very carefully not all rare and complicated situations are taken care. So my proposal is that you should use only those software that Märklin use in this VNC-case. There are many other products and they might work just OK if all has made " by the book" using proven standards.

Those who will try other software please tell as others your experiences and feelings

Happy Training all

Regards

Jukka

Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 17 December 2016 08:20:47(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: siroljuk Go to Quoted Post
It's a bit off topic: VNC also can be used with Central Station 60212 (requires version 4.0.0 or later) or ECoS.

Good to see Märklin adopting established standards. Just dreaming: would be nice to see VNC in a future CS2 upgrade.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline foumaro  
#11 Posted : 17 December 2016 11:17:18(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Maybe we need Phd in electronics to play with our trains from now on.Blink BigGrin Scared
Offline Piper  
#12 Posted : 17 December 2016 15:20:42(UTC)
Piper

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
Maybe we need Phd in electronics to play with our trains from now on.Blink BigGrin Scared

Noooo....

It's easy, even I got it right after reading the instructions properly.BigGrin Usually I don't.Cursing Cursing

Pieter
Era I-V / HO / C-Track / MS2, CS2 & CS3 Z gauge. Insider
Member of Märklin Modellers Group
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Piper
Offline abisel  
#13 Posted : 18 December 2016 02:05:13(UTC)
abisel

United States   
Well, I'm doing something wrong. VNC gets rejected by the CS3+.

I can open the CS3+ by inserting the IP address into my FireFox browser and that opens up fine.
Then when I start VNC Viewer and try to connect to the same IP address with :5900, the CS3+ rejects the connection.

Any ideas help?
Offline siroljuk  
#14 Posted : 18 December 2016 08:04:13(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   

I can open the CS3+ by inserting the IP address into my FireFox browser and that opens up fine.
Then when I start VNC Viewer and try to connect to the same IP address with :5900, the CS3+ rejects the connection.

Any ideas help?

Hello

Just look at the post 9 in this thread, You have to start the "server" inside of CS3

Jukka
Offline abisel  
#15 Posted : 18 December 2016 15:09:15(UTC)
abisel

United States   

Any ideas help?

Hello

Just look at the post 9 in this thread, You have to start the "server" inside of CS3

Jukka

I am still missing something. Start the "server" inside the CS3. How? Do I still have to install VNC Server into the CS3?

Thanks
Offline abisel  
#16 Posted : 18 December 2016 22:44:19(UTC)
abisel

United States   
I wonder if connecting the CS3+ to my PC via a router is the issue? When I bring up the network page on the CS3+, it does not show a LAN connection to the PC. That icon is grayed out. I could try a direct connection of the ethernet cable to the PC and not through the router.

This is how the system connected page looks on my PC when connected via FireBox browser and the CS3+ IP address through the router.
system connected.PNG

...and the screen capture of the network page on the CS3+. The PC is grayed out on the LAN connection.
network.PNG
Offline siroljuk  
#17 Posted : 19 December 2016 07:18:11(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello,

You have older version of webserver than I have. That is the reason you cannot make VNC-connectios yet.

You have to wait for updates first. Updates will came in near future, be patient.

Someone in another thread said that märklin give updates only to few devices for beta testing. It seems that I have that kind of device.
I suppose they can choose who can be beta-tester by using series number of CS3 and CS3 Plus.

I hope you will receive needed updates soon

Regards

Jukka
Offline MaerklinLife  
#18 Posted : 19 December 2016 10:17:08(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Good to see Märklin adopting established standards. Just dreaming: would be nice to see VNC in a future CS2 upgrade.

I prefer the solution from CS2 with dedicated software. That way I can have several CS2 slaves in form of PC's and operate them separately. It works wonders when there are more operators on the layout. The VNC solution is a remote control of one unit, not a true master/slave solution. I hope Märklin will release a software solution for the CS3 for the PC as with the CS2. Smile

And I think you can wait forever for a VNC solution in the CS2. Smile

Offline abisel  
#19 Posted : 19 December 2016 15:23:35(UTC)
abisel

United States   
Hello,

You have older version of webserver than I have. That is the reason you cannot make VNC-connectios yet.

You have to wait for updates first. Updates will came in near future, be patient.Regards

Jukka

That would explain it.
I thought my router may be blocking the VNC but maybe not.
Thanks,
Offline abisel  
#20 Posted : 20 December 2016 00:20:43(UTC)
abisel

United States   
I got a fresh update to the CS3+ and all is well.
From FireFox, you type in the IP address, and the browser connects.
Then you select the System icon at the top and then the server connect at the bottom left.
Open VNC Viewer and connect to the CS3+ IP address with :5900 and it connects.
Desktop PC wired network control of the CS3+ is now possible.

WooHoo!!

Now, if Marklin had put a wifi inside the CS3+ that would make it even more fun to control remotely. Or is there a wifi within the CS3+?
Offline NewComix  
#21 Posted : 21 December 2016 19:23:29(UTC)
NewComix

Germany   
Hi,

Then you select the System icon at the top and then the server connect at the bottom left.

WooHoo!!

Now, if Marklin had put a wifi inside the CS3+ that would make it even more fun to control remotely. Or is there a wifi within the CS3+?

Just buy a Nano Router / Wireless Access Point like a TP-Link TL-WR702N. It comes with a USB and RJ45 cable and could be directly connected to the two ports on the right of CS3. I think I paid 20€ for it and it works perfect.

Kind regards
Jörg

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NewComix
Offline abisel  
#22 Posted : 21 December 2016 23:37:55(UTC)
abisel

United States   
Originally Posted by: NewComix Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

WooHoo!!

Just buy a Nano Router / Wireless Access Point like a TP-Link TL-WR702N. It comes with a USB and RJ45 cable and could be directly connected to the two ports on the right of CS3. I think I paid 20€ for it and it works perfect.

Kind regards
Jörg

Thanks for your suggestion.

That sounds like a good idea. Plug the Nano router into the CS3+ and it becomes wireless to your desktop router of which your PC is connected. OR, wifi to your wifi laptop.

http://www.tp-link.com.au/produ..._TL-WR802N.html#overview

I already have a TP-Link AC1750 wireless router connected to my PC and it does perform well with wifi laptops. So with the Nano, you make the CS3+ a wifi so to speak.

Edited by user 22 December 2016 22:59:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline abisel  
#23 Posted : 07 January 2017 00:46:17(UTC)
abisel

United States   
I purchased the TL-WR802N nano router and I couldn't seem to connect my desktop PC via wifi to the nano router that was connected to the CS3+.

BUT!! After an on-line chat with a TP-Link support agent, I was able to get the Nano configured.

I couldn't configure the Nano from my PC via tplinkwifi.net or tplinklogin.net. The former would say not connected to the network and the latter would log into my existing router. Then I tried moving the Nano over to my existing router and still could not configure it. However, with the help of the on-line chat agent, I was able to log into the Nano using my smart phone and configured it as a client.

I then logged into my existing router and got the Nano IP address from the list of DHCP clients, I was then able to log into the Nano from my PC. This would give me the Nano maintenance page.

I then moved the Nano over to the CS3+ and it powered up fine.

Now from my desktop PC, I could log into the CS3+ using the CS3+ IP address. Behold! The CS3+ is now a wifi device. From there you start the CS3+ server and then VNC Viewer. Just a little lag between mouse action on the PC to what happens on the CS3+ but not much.
Offline NewComix  
#24 Posted : 07 January 2017 15:56:41(UTC)
NewComix

Germany   
Hi,

I purchased the TL-WR802N nano router and I couldn't seem to connect my desktop PC via wifi to the nano router that was connected to the CS3+.

BUT!! After an on-line chat with a TP-Link support agent, I was able to get the Nano configured.

I couldn't configure the Nano from my PC via tplinkwifi.net or tplinklogin.net. The former would say not connected to the network and the latter would log into my existing router. Then I tried moving the Nano over to my existing router and still could not configure it. However, with the help of the on-line chat agent, I was able to log into the Nano using my smart phone and configured it as a client.

I then logged into my existing router and got the Nano IP address from the list of DHCP clients, I was then able to log into the Nano from my PC. This would give me the Nano maintenance page.

I then moved the Nano over to the CS3+ and it powered up fine.

Now from my desktop PC, I could log into the CS3+ using the CS3+ IP address. Behold! The CS3+ is now a wifi device. From there you start the CS3+ server and then VNC Viewer. Just a little lag between mouse action on the PC to what happens on the CS3+ but not much.

I am glad to see that you had success with the nano router.

I've played a little bit around with my TL-WR702N nano router. Previously I've used the nano router as an Access Point spanning his own Wifi and connected my mobile devices to the CS2/CS3. I've now configured it in client mode enabling the CS3 connecting to the home WIFI network. It makes it easy to download latest updates and also my mobile device still can connect to the CS2/CS3. Unfortunately I have situations where I need to switch between Access point mode and client mode (running my CS3 in the middle of nowhere / no access the internet). That said I will buy a TL-WR802N and configure one nano router in AP mode and the other in client mode instead of reconfiguring one device all the time. I think its worth spending 23 €.

Kind regards
Jörg
Offline Minok  
#25 Posted : 09 January 2017 22:00:57(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: NewComix Go to Quoted Post

So there is no support in the CS3 for a USB wifi stick?

Like this for $US 8 ?

https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW...;keywords=usb+stick+wifi
UserPostedImage
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline abisel  
#26 Posted : 10 January 2017 14:52:58(UTC)
abisel

United States   
if you can configure the USB wifi, it might be worth exploring.
Offline mgbeck_98  
#27 Posted : 27 June 2019 01:06:49(UTC)
mgbeck_98

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
It's a bit off topic: VNC also can be used with Central Station 60212 (requires version 4.0.0 or later) or ECoS.

Um, how can I use vnc with CS2
All indications are that I can't