Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline samiam711  
#1 Posted : 09 December 2016 22:45:07(UTC)
samiam711

United States   
Hi Everybody,

I am trying to find a member in Washington state who can get together to discuss how to set up a digital layout and what are the best components to use...ie CS3, power packs, computer connections and the like. I have a bunch of Marklin digital trains and a ton of models and am getting ready to start my layout in a huge bonus room. I have thousands of dollars in track, turntable, roundhouse and a bunch of Faller Exlusiv models, but I am not up on how to start the digital process. I am in Everett Washington...any body in Washington?

Sincerely
Sam Brinkley
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 10 December 2016 04:14:16(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Hi Sam,

I know there are Marklin collectors in Washington since I have made some eBay sales to someone in Blaine and someone near Bellevue in the past. What I don't know is if they are members of this forum.

If you don't succeed you may want to see if someone here in BC can help you out. We may be closer to Everett than some of your fellow Washingtonians.

Cheers
Peter
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 10 December 2016 07:32:51(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Eurorailhobbies used to be based just north of the border in Langley, BC. They recently moved to the Okanagan valley, which is probably 60-90 minutes drive from their old location.
Marklin USA lists Eastside Trains in Kirkland and Seattle's Train Center as dealers. I would start by calling Mr Menzel at Eurorailhobbies. He might know of a few customers that he can forward your number to for advice. I guess that you can also try to contact Brenda at Marklin.com and see if she can forward you to somebody who can answer your digital queries.

Regards

Mike C
Offline seatrains  
#4 Posted : 12 December 2016 06:24:34(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
Sam, send me an email and I can help you out.
Mike C. Intel from the ground. Eurorailhobbies in Summerland BC is the best resource. East side Trains at my last visit had no Marklin just LGB.
Seattle Train Center has no Marklin stock and is just a Walthers order dealer.BigGrin
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
Offline samiam711  
#5 Posted : 13 December 2016 00:36:14(UTC)
samiam711

United States   
Thanks to everyone who has replied so far! Thom, I sent you an email. Let me know if you don't get it. Eastside trains hasn't been carrying any Marklin HO for several years now. It used to be my go to place back in the day. I have been doing business with Eurorailhobbies which used to be in Langley BC, but I know they just moved. Shame it was to move farther away. I actually was in Germany in May visiting one of there larger train stores, but didn't have time to query about digital and language was a barrier. The guy did say to wait for the CS3 that it would be well worth it. If there are any Marklin enthusiast up my way (Everett, WA), please let me know. I would love to meet. Otherwise, I could use all the information I can get. I am willing to travel a little ways to meet up... Sam
Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 13 December 2016 01:58:18(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Sam, I'm also in Western Washington and in the similar state of my design/build process, or maybe not as advanced as you as I don't have much track. I'll be willing to help/discuss/swap stories as we work through things.

My plan is:

1) Develop high level concept. (done; an 1970-92 DB line from Hamburg-Altona down to München HBF via Mannheim - so a mashup of German routes, to run ICE, IC, D-Zug, Nahverkehrs Zug, and some freight) in an around the walls 2-3 level shelf layout with a middle of the room connected peninsula town. I also plan a Faller Car system integration in some way. All to be computer controlled with user manual control of subsets being possible.

2) purchase locomotives, rolling stock and starter set to test locomotives and ideas with (done - got the 29000 and a bunch of locomotives and cars)

3) prep room (still in that phase - walls painted, lights mostly installed, still need to do the flooring)

4) Build and run some experiments to determine what grade I can run my trains (3-4 cars plus loco passenger trains) up reliably on a helix to attain the elevation changes to implement my 2 or 3 level around the room shelf concept, as well as some tests on how to implement the two terminal stations (in some faked way) to facilitate possible computer controlled switching of the locomotive to the other end of the passenger trains to reverse the trip. (this is to do and in my head, though I've got my helix kit )

5) Start designing the layout on computer to see what fits where and if I can even build my concept in the space.

6) Buy track and start building

So while I don't have the real usage experience you may be looking for, I've done a lot of reading here and on Stummi and have a good mental grasp of the technologies involved.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#7 Posted : 13 December 2016 19:31:50(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
I live in Seattle and am slowly converting to digital since last year. I started with a MS2 and got two steam engines to play with. I'm working on a 8' x 8' L-shape layout and hopefully to start building it in 2017. I'm willing to discuss and maybe I can learn something too.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MKOpSeattle
Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 13 December 2016 21:36:45(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Excellent, seems like we have a small core in the greater Puget Sound region.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline samiam711  
#9 Posted : 14 December 2016 02:41:16(UTC)
samiam711

United States   
The main reason I put this post out is because I need to understand the boosters, decoders and feedback modules, switches, CS3/CS3plus etc and how they all play together in the digital world. I have no understanding of any of that (digital setup) and how it plays together on the Marklin bus. Most things “electrical” are a bit like magic for me. I am visual and it would help not only to talk about it, but to see it in action as well (videos would help too if anyone has any links). An example of a great article would be http://railway.zone/post...d-central-station-3-plus article. It talks about the difference in the cs3 lineup. It would help if I understood more about what an s88 link is and how it plays in the digital world. What does it mean that it is a feedback module? What is it for? What connects to it?

I have a general idea about how I want my layout to look. I know that I will have two mountains and the city will “butt” up against a mountainous backdrop of some sort. Something Bavarian and era III/IV. One mountain will have a castle and one will have Faller Exclusiv monastery with a Fleischmann cog train going to it. All other trains are Marklin. I will have a walled city/village. I prefer the Rothenberg style buildings and will model my city after it accordingly including all the walls and towers. I also need a rail yard for my turntable and roundhouse. I have the Faller Exclusiv Engine facility and rail car facility that need built. The town will have a city square with fountain, Rathaus with working glockenspiel and Faller Musikpavillion on one edge of the square. Can you tell I just got back from Hamburg's Miniature Wunderland? We went in May and it was inspiring...

Lots of ideas in my head, but I’m having problems getting it all laid out on paper or on SCARM. I have been thinking about this since I was 10 (54 now)! I have a feeling my ideas are more than my budget or space can handle!

If I could figure out the electrical/digital, I would know what to purchase and can move forward. Also, does anybody know anybody that designs layouts?

One last thought...Does the forum have a “for sale” area? I collected building models with no regards to whether I will be using them on the layout and have a bunch that, once I go through everything, will be wanting to sell.
Offline PMPeter  
#10 Posted : 14 December 2016 04:16:05(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: samiam711 Go to Quoted Post

One last thought...Does the forum have a “for sale” area? I collected building models with no regards to whether I will be using them on the layout and have a bunch that, once I go through everything, will be wanting to sell.

Yes if you go through the Forum listing of topics under Marketplace you will see 2 headings "I want to sell" and "I want to buy". The "sell" one is where you would post your items. Since you have been a member since 2014 you should have no problem listing. There usually is a waiting period for new members to post something for sale.

Regarding your other question about digital setup, you need to also decide if you are working towards computer control of your layout, or if you mainly want to do things manually through your CS3. That in itself will determine what digital items you need and which ones you don't. One example that comes to mind is braking modules. Since I use Rocrail computer control with my CS2 I don't need these modules since the computer software does it. However, if I was just using the CS2, I would most likely need to buy them.

Regarding boosters it depends on how many trains you want to run at the same time, the physical size of your layout, and how you power up the lighting and accessories. For example I have a medium size layout in a bent dogbone configuration in a 14'x14' room. I have changed all lighting to LEDs and power as much of the accessories from the lighting circuit as I can. This allows me to run 5 trains simultaneously using Rocrail and only my CS2 distributed power with no boosters. With 5 trains running and this method I am still well below the CS2 output limit.

So perhaps to help you out it might be worthwhile posting your SCARM layout design so we can start helping you further.

Cheers
Peter

Offline fstrobel  
#11 Posted : 27 February 2019 17:07:57(UTC)
fstrobel

United States   
Hello everyone! Just wanted to say "hi". I am in Seattle and I am just getting started with my Marklin H0 digital. My table is being build, my layout has been designed, and now I am planning on wiring, buying the tracks, etc.

I am originally from South-West Germany - a small town called Rottweil (yes, that's were the dogs are from). The theme of my layout will be "forest operations" - no passenger trains for now.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by fstrobel
Offline Minok  
#12 Posted : 27 February 2019 18:05:09(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: fstrobel Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone! Just wanted to say "hi". I am in Seattle and I am just getting started with my Marklin H0 digital. My table is being build, my layout has been designed, and now I am planning on wiring, buying the tracks, etc.

I am originally from South-West Germany - a small town called Rottweil (yes, that's were the dogs are from). The theme of my layout will be "forest operations" - no passenger trains for now.

Grüße. In my youth I lived a bit further north in Mannheim Käfertal. I’m living on the east side in Sammamish and am in the early stages as well. Just got the room mostly prepped, a plan in my head and 1/3 of the about planned on computer.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline petestra  
#13 Posted : 27 February 2019 21:29:35(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Sam & welcome to our great hobby. I have been with Marklin since childhood in the 60s but I only went "digital" in 2013. I'm happy I did. I'm still

learning and have been now using 2 dealers, one of which, AJC kids in Texas, has some great digital "how to" videos. Their YOUTUBE channel is

"ajckids". I have the CS3 with link decoder and S88 feedback module. One of their videos also shows how to update your CS3, should you choose to buy one.

I am now programming events with the new digital signals and points. My layout is quite large and I have many videos on my YOUTUBE channel which is

"strafrag1" should you want to watch some. Most of the signals and points are still analog controlled but any new products are digital only.

Happy building and good luck. Any questions just ask. Cheers, Peter. Cool
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline fstrobel  
#14 Posted : 01 March 2019 19:04:13(UTC)
fstrobel

United States   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Grüße. In my youth I lived a bit further north in Mannheim Käfertal. I’m living on the east side in Sammamish and am in the early stages as well. Just got the room mostly prepped, a plan in my head and 1/3 of the about planned on computer.

It is a small world. Were you stationed there with the Army? As a kid I lived for three years in Hockenheim. The shopping center near Viernheimer Kreuz was a frequent destination on the weekends.
Offline Minok  
#15 Posted : 01 March 2019 19:18:05(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: fstrobel Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

It is a small world. Were you stationed there with the Army? As a kid I lived for three years in Hockenheim. The shopping center near Viernheimer Kreuz was a frequent destination on the weekends.

Indeed. 3 tours my father had in Mannheim - BFV was my home three times. So you remember the Wertkauf (before it became WalMart) off the B38, or are you refering to the Rhein Neckar Zentrum? Drove past Hockenheim many times on the way to Karlsruhe and Pforzheim back in the day. Even spent some time in Nußloch south of Heidelberg, and up the Bergstrasse (B3) in Bensheim and Hemsbach visiting relatives.
---
My YouTube Channel: