Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 2ndChancer  
#1 Posted : 14 December 2005 04:52:50(UTC)
2ndChancer

Hi all,
Recently I have upgraded a loco with a Glocken motor using a UHL76400 decoder(1A motor current). The loco runs very smooth and quiet...by ITSELF. It just can't pull my desire length of coaches (just 3 passenger coaches). It's obviously lack of po=ulling power. The decoder gets warm when I set it to 80% of full speed (on the 6021).

The former decoder is a delta, which has discret components and does't have such problem

Any comments?

Thanks

Eric

CoolCool
Offline john black  
#2 Posted : 14 December 2005 12:57:43(UTC)
john black

United States   
Maybe the Bell (those motors are just excellent, love them [:p]) doesn't like that specific UHLENBROCK decoder ... Smile

John
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline hmsfix  
#3 Posted : 14 December 2005 14:18:27(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi Eric,

What type of lok did you convert ? I found that the different gears play a major role. The gears in different loks have very different transmission rations, and this must fit to the motor characteristics.

Your description sounds as if one of the following things happen (I assume there is no electrical problem in the circuit, and gear and motor are easily running)

1. the transmission ratio in your lok might be too low for the can motor you used. So the motor draws a lot of current, but does not develop much power. Then the lok is also running super fast at 100 % speed, as long as there is train to be pulled. Solution: a motor with different characteristics: higher nominal operation voltage, lower current. Such a motor has a higher rotational moment at a given motor current. Even the can motor of a big boy or GG-1 does not need more than 500 mA under full load.

2. I don't know whether this applies to the Uhlenbrock decoder, but the load stabilization might not be correctly adjusted. If there is a way to reprogram this by changing settings of internal decoder registers (CVs), I would try that.

Hans Martin

P.S.: Give the lok some time to get accustomed to the new motor. Perhaps there is a gear wheel or bearing that needs some "running in".
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 14 December 2005 14:33:06(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Eric,

I'm confused. Did your loco already have a can motor, or did your loco have another type of motor and you converted it with a can motor?

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline 2ndChancer  
#5 Posted : 14 December 2005 15:08:38(UTC)
2ndChancer

Ah sorry about the confusion, my poor English, I didn't change the motor, it should read as...
"I have converted a loco, which is already equiped with a glocken motor, from delta to digital by using a regulated decoder UHL76400" ...biggrinbiggrin

OK, it is the King William's loco. It's the same architecture as 33190,37190 & 37192. The original delta performs poorly, you know , sort of go and stop under the 6021, but no problem of pulling the full length of 6 coaches.

The conversion works fine without pulling any coach. Quiet and smooth, excellent low speed performance. But when I attach just 3 coaches to it, it is struggling to move along.

It may be the decoder setting that's not matching the motor. I have good experience with this decoder driving 60901 hi-eff. motor. This is the first time I use it on glocken motor, so I cannot make any reference.

Hope I have clear up the confusion.

Thanks for any comments

Eric
Cool
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 14 December 2005 15:48:05(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It sounds like the decoder can't supply the current needed under load conditions, which it most certainly should if it's rated at 1A output.

If you have other similar decoders available you should try another decoder in this loco. It's just possible you might have a dud one.

On the other hand, I've never seen a faulty decoder show these symptoms.

Nice loco by the way. I hope you get it running nicely!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline laalves  
#7 Posted : 14 December 2005 16:21:05(UTC)
laalves

Bell armature motors require specific types of decoders.

Uhlenbrock makes a specific decoder for bell motors, I don't remember now, but I don't think it's that one.

On the other hand, Lokpilots and Loksounds work fine with either bell or conventional motors.

Luis
Offline jte  
#8 Posted : 14 December 2005 16:37:05(UTC)
jte

I think the coreless (Glockenanker) motor requires a different decoder, because the inductance is lower than in normal iron rotor motor. The voltage and current have a phase-difference which leads to poor torque and often the motor gets also hot (which is however typical for coreless motors in general). Typically coreless motor controllers have higher frequency.

But I dont know the UHL76400 decoder, so this is just my guess.

Juha
Offline jte  
#9 Posted : 14 December 2005 20:50:36(UTC)
jte

Just checked the UHL76400 on Uhlenbrock's webpage. They claim that UHL76400 is compatible with coreless (Faulhaber) motors, but I noticed that the tact frequency is "only" 18.75kHz, which might just be too low in this case. I recommend the LokPilot2, which works with 40kHz.

Juha
Offline Webmaster  
#10 Posted : 14 December 2005 21:45:34(UTC)
Webmaster

The Wilhelm loco is notorious for its performance. If I remember correctly it's the gears that are the real culprit. I believe the gears were slightly changed after the Wilhelm set.

The best decoder would probably the regulated decoder of the 37192, spare part no. 606728, but that is... oohhh... expensive... 194 Euros list price..
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline 2ndChancer  
#11 Posted : 15 December 2005 04:53:48(UTC)
2ndChancer

More thanks my friends...

1) Yes I can put in a LP2 and see what happen, let u know in a day.

2) the 606728 is equivalent to the 60905 except the LED circuit which I should have no problem. 60905 is my last resource.
Don't know why they are priced so differently.

Thanks

Eric

Cool

Edit 3 hrs later :

Put in a LP2. not much better, looks like the 60905 is the last bet.
Offline perz  
#12 Posted : 16 December 2005 00:06:03(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Don't know why they are priced so differently.

I guess it's because the 606728 is a spare part item while the 60905 is a standard item. The prices are from Märklins home page I guess.

My theory is that Märklin have to show these high prices on their web site to make it possible also for small dealers to offer spare parts. Märklin want to say "You can always get spare parts from your nearest Märklin dealer." But if they announced lower prices the small dealer who only sells a spare part now and then would loose money on the handling of it.

Big web shops with volume even on spare parts can typically offer much better spare part prices than what Märklin are showing. So I guess that the price difference isn't at all that big in reality.
Offline Webmaster  
#13 Posted : 16 December 2005 00:25:07(UTC)
Webmaster

Seems you are right as usual perz, Lokshop lists the 606728 decoder for 85 Euros...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]