Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Robert Davies  
#1 Posted : 23 November 2016 21:48:16(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
We are all familiar with the 'chocolate block' type of terminal strip which has a number of through connectors with screw terminals moulded into a single block (usually 12 connectors per block).

My question is whether anyone has come across a chocolate-block type connector which will take Marklin-type plugs rather than bare wires. I have a number of this type of connector of different types and manufacturers but while a Marklin plug will fit into the hole for the wire, the plug is too short to be held captive by the retaining screw so the plug falls out with the slightest movement.

My layout will have LOTS of wiring and I have developed a colour code for the plugs and wires to show what sort of a function the wire is for and to make installation easier. Therefore I want to maintain the use of Marklin plugs throughout rather than just strip the wires and put them into screw terminals.

I hope that I have made myself clear!! All suggestions gratefully received, as always.
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 23 November 2016 22:18:21(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Robert Davies Go to Quoted Post
We are all familiar with the 'chocolate block' type of terminal strip which has a number of through connectors with screw terminals moulded into a single block (usually 12 connectors per block).

My question is whether anyone has come across a chocolate-block type connector which will take Marklin-type plugs rather than bare wires. I have a number of this type of connector of different types and manufacturers but while a Marklin plug will fit into the hole for the wire, the plug is too short to be held captive by the retaining screw so the plug falls out with the slightest movement.

My layout will have LOTS of wiring and I have developed a colour code for the plugs and wires to show what sort of a function the wire is for and to make installation easier. Therefore I want to maintain the use of Marklin plugs throughout rather than just strip the wires and put them into screw terminals.

I hope that I have made myself clear!! All suggestions gratefully received, as always.

Another alternative is to buy heat shrink tubing of the appropriate size and in all the colours that you use and heat shrink it on to the wire before the terminal. These are usually available at under a dollar for a three foot length. Therefore, it is most likely a lot cheaper than buying special plugs.

Cheers
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Robert Davies  
#3 Posted : 29 November 2016 19:53:19(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
Just in case there is any doubt, a strip of push-in connectors that take Marklin-type plugs would be just as good - the screw fitting is not important. What is important, however, is that each circuit in the strip is separate. I don't want the type of strip where all the sockets on each side are connected to each other.
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)