Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline applor  
#1 Posted : 22 November 2016 23:34:48(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Hi All,

I've been sorting out some of my loks that still need work done, sound conversion etc. and came back to a Fleischmann BR86 that needs DC to AC with sound conversion.

The good news is that I have the decoder and slider situations sorted and can do the conversion and have it running AC.
The problem is it has DC wheel sets, which is fine for AC operation but not if you need track detection with S88.
That means doing some AC wheelset replacements and I have tracked down the spare part numbers I need which I only seem to be able to find from Fleischmann direct.

Go to order and they want 30 euro shipping for a couple of wheels!

Argh, now I am wondering with its even worth going through with the conversion when you add in the 45 euro cost just for wheel sets with shipping factored in.
I guess I am sort of hoping someone in Australia might be ordering from Fleischmann and I can tag my wheel sets on the order but I know that's extremely unlikely.
Selling the lok seems unfeasible since I've already installed the slider, no one wants a half converted lok but buying/installing a decoder and I probably won't get that amount for selling the lok!

*sigh*

modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Online DV  
#2 Posted : 23 November 2016 01:40:34(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Have you tried All Aboard Trains from Australia?
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 23 November 2016 06:38:43(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
On some models, it may be possible to provide return on both rails by inverting one axle, so that the uninsulated side now contact the other rail. Each rail will only have contact from one axle (minimum), but it should be enough for a C88. You can also try to find a dealer who is willing to ship a small box as letter mail w/o insurance or tracking for 8-15 EUR.

Regards

Mike C
Offline jvuye  
#4 Posted : 23 November 2016 07:25:41(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Hi All,

I've been sorting out some of my loks that still need work done, sound conversion etc. and came back to a Fleischmann BR86 that needs DC to AC with sound conversion.

The good news is that I have the decoder and slider situations sorted and can do the conversion and have it running AC.
The problem is it has DC wheel sets, which is fine for AC operation but not if you need track detection with S88.
That means doing some AC wheelset replacements and I have tracked down the spare part numbers I need which I only seem to be able to find from Fleischmann direct.

Go to order and they want 30 euro shipping for a couple of wheels!

Argh, now I am wondering with its even worth going through with the conversion when you add in the 45 euro cost just for wheel sets with shipping factored in.
I guess I am sort of hoping someone in Australia might be ordering from Fleischmann and I can tag my wheel sets on the order but I know that's extremely unlikely.
Selling the lok seems unfeasible since I've already installed the slider, no one wants a half converted lok but buying/installing a decoder and I probably won't get that amount for selling the lok!

*sigh*

Quite honestly, having performed hundreds of conversions like this, I don't understand what the problem is.
AFAIK Fleischmann 2 rail locos have sliders on **both** sides of the wheel flanges.

So all it takes is to wire them together when you turn it to three rails

Older designs had one un-insulated side and pick up sliders on the other side.
Same deal, except that you had to make sure that both brushes connections on the motor were insulated from the chassis.

In addition , on a BR 86, you could get by with only replacing the pony wheels with Marklin wheels and achieve you goal.

Or am I missing something??

Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline applor  
#5 Posted : 23 November 2016 08:05:23(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Yes I feel a bit stupid now.

I did the slider install years ago and so I haven't thought it through - very true that while the main wheels are isolated, both sides have since been connected to earth.

It certainly makes me glad I posted here for people to point out what I did not realise.

I just need to check the front leading axle has both sides earthed so that loco positioning is more accurate.

Thanks all!
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline ktsolias  
#6 Posted : 23 November 2016 08:19:40(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Don't do anything with the axles
Just short circuit (connect together) inside the Loco the two wires coming from the both sides of the wheels. You have do do that any way to have better ground (brown wire)
Insulate everything else from the frame
Costas