Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jabez  
#1 Posted : 03 November 2016 01:22:23(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Each piece of the old M track has a small semi-circular hole cut out of the base of the ballast so you could pass under-ballast cables out into the open and to their final destination without disturbing the horizontal level of the track. Or even run cables which have nothing to do with the particular track section right under it and out the other side.
Of course, if you are making a permanent layout you would just drop the cables through a hole in the baseboard and make the ongoing connections under the board. But if you were making a carpetbahn or a table-top where you couldn't drill holes through the base it was a convenient feature.
C track doesn't have this possibility. So if you are making a temporary set-up how do you bring the cables out without tilting the track at the point where they emerge? Or do you just have to live with this tilt and accept that C-track is designed for layouts where the cable connections are made sub-base?
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline nitramretep  
#2 Posted : 03 November 2016 01:28:43(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
I have used a Dremel tool to create a semicircle opening in the track bed when I have encountered a location that does not allow a hole through the layout top. In sidings were multiple lines are close together I have done this to preclude drill, multiple times, through the plywood base. It requires only a small bore of about 1/8th of an inch.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nitramretep
Offline dickinsonj  
#3 Posted : 03 November 2016 02:23:54(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I agree that this is an oversight on Märklin's part, because C track is perfect for temporary layouts in almost every other way.

I usually create a small incline with some thin plywood pieces and then run my wires under the C track in a gap between the pieces. It is not a very elegant solution, but it works. The dremel modification that Peter suggests is probably a better alternative, which I will have to consider when my layout comes out of storage in a couple of months.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 03 November 2016 05:54:21(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Each C Track section has at least one small spot where you can cut/break off a little part in order to provide access for cables. Look at the underside of the track section and you will immediately see the spot. I have used an Boxcutter knife to remove the plastic when I have needed to run a cable or two. My biggest problem with C track wiring is the connection that puts stress on the terminals when the wire is pulled on. I would prefer some kind of system that would prevent the tension from getting to the inner core of the track. With the old M track, many times, the wires had a knot just inside the wire hole which would limit the pull on the terminals inside.
Some kind of plug connection into the track bed would be the ultimate solution, but this seems to have been not the first choice of Maerklin at the time.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 03 November 2016 09:05:30(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It's funny how opinions differ!

I always thought the semi-circular holes in the side of M-track to be its least attractive feature. On photos of my old layout I would laboriously 'Photoshop' then out of my pictures. For me it was a relief when I changed to C-track to find it was no longer there!

As Mike says, there are pre-marked places on the underside of C-track pieces where one can cut a discrete section out for a cable or two to pass.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#6 Posted : 03 November 2016 11:12:57(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
It's funny how opinions differ!

I always thought the semi-circular holes in the side of M-track to be its least attractive feature. On photos of my old layout I would laboriously 'Photoshop' then out of my pictures. For me it was a relief when I changed to C-track to find it was no longer there!

As Mike says, there are pre-marked places on the underside of C-track pieces where one can cut a discrete section out for a cable or two to pass.

You right Ray - I never liked those openings either - as matter of fact the newer M track openings were smaller than on the older track pieces...at least I seem to remember that; that's how I could identify my new/old M track pieces....BigGrin
Joe

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Joseph Meiring
Offline MalinAC  
#7 Posted : 03 November 2016 15:16:24(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Why not just drill holes in baseboard under the track to hide the wires
Offline PMPeter  
#8 Posted : 03 November 2016 15:38:40(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post
Why not just drill holes in baseboard under the track to hide the wires

As a previous post stated that is what you would do for a permanent layout, but the question is what to do with a temporary carpet bahn layout.
Offline MalinAC  
#9 Posted : 03 November 2016 16:12:00(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Sorry guys ,my mistake
Offline Jabez  
#10 Posted : 03 November 2016 19:09:27(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Each C Track section has at least one small spot where you can cut/break off a little part in order to provide access for cables. Look at the underside of the track section and you will immediately see the spot.
Mike C

Thanks, I have noticed these spots but I was not sure whether they were intended for such a purpose or were just internal mould marks from the manufacturing process and that if you broke into them you might induce cracks or weakness in the adjacent plastic.

Offline dickinsonj  
#11 Posted : 04 November 2016 00:11:16(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post

Thanks, I have noticed these spots but I was not sure whether they were intended for such a purpose or were just internal mould marks from the manufacturing process and that if you broke into them you might induce cracks or weakness in the adjacent plastic.

I always wondered the same thing - they are not really large enough to pass an adequate power cable through IMO. You would have to machine cut or grind them out to not damage the track and most likely do a larger area than what that internal depression defines. I do think that they may just be a structural element cast into the base.

Considering how Märklin documents their product I predict that we will never actually know. Confused

I will just stick with my elevation kludge until I start to build my permanent layout. Cool

That three meters of .1% grade makes all the difference on a carpet bahn layout anyway. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Minok  
#12 Posted : 07 November 2016 21:32:58(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Pre-installing holes in C-track from Märklin would be a mistake - since only a small fraction of C-track parts would actually need such a hole.
Drilling the holes where you need them would be the best option - dremel or box-cutter carve out.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Jabez  
#13 Posted : 08 November 2016 02:27:24(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Yep, I get your point. It brings to mind the anecdotal riposte of Talleyrand to someone who said that the kidnap and murder of the Duc d'Enghien by Napoleon was a crime. 'It was worse than a crime, it was a mistake.'
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jabez