Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline siroljuk  
#1 Posted : 26 October 2016 14:52:22(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello EveryoneBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

I start this thread for my comments and experiences of Märklin CS3+ which arrived todayThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp .

I just opened the parcel which included CS3+ and new 60061 Switched Model Power Pack.

I really did wait for English Manual which should be in the box but. . . there was only German language manual.Cursing Cursing I really am disappointed. Cursing

Next I'm going to put new device to my layout and power it on.
I inform you what happens later...

Regards

Jukka
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline siroljuk  
#2 Posted : 26 October 2016 16:49:31(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hi,
First impression is that CS3+ is certainly not ready yet. I could start it and there was not problems.
Language settings went ok.
I did not put trains on the layout which was connected, and no booster only the layout with turnouts.
Then I started to look different pages PROBLEM ONE: my fingers are too big for this touch screen, it is difficult to get precise touch. Then my fingers are too dry to get touch every time.
So Need to buy a touch pen with quite fine tip. I do have touch pen but it is too cheap( I think) because it is hard to get good touch with it. so DON'T BUY a CHEAPEST PEN, buy good one.

And. . . because of only German manual, I have to do everything with my computer's help of translation. And it takes time, lots of.

You need to do everything in accordance with the instructions.

I cannot understand why Märklin has not done English manual. Due to this lack of manual it is not very good idea to buy new CS3 or CS3+ if you are not willing to do translation of the German manual.

I am sure that there are bugs in the CS3 software, at the very beginning I realized that help function did not act like it should( ok, it might be that I don't understand instruction, but I couldn't find any for help feature).

All to All you have to be patient and go forward step by step.

I will write on after I have managed to get one of train running.

Happy Training

Regards

Jukka
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 26 October 2016 17:13:05(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Whatever you do, don't update your CS3+ as there are issues with the update - see the 'CS3 Plus 60216' thread - https://www.marklin-user...indunread-CS3-Plus-60216

Also, don't try to import any data to your CS3+ from your CS2, as this may 'brick' your CS3 - see H0's comment in https://www.marklin-user...rting-CS2-datas-into-CS3

Edited by user 26 October 2016 22:05:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline siroljuk  
#4 Posted : 27 October 2016 11:40:33(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello Everyone.BigGrin
I have to interrupt my studies with CS3+ because my daughter and her family arrived suddenly. Their visit will take four days and I as a grandfather have take care of two grandchildren.
Blushing Blushing

A little girl and boy are so fantastic that CS3+ remains second now.BigGrin

I have tested some feature though and my opinion is that without mouse you cannot do layouts and all manner with that edit. Mouse is much better than touch pen.

I am not going to update anything yet, I don't upload or download anything yet. All what I'm going to test is factory setting CS3+ and its features.
After I have gone through whole device, then I will install a simple layout and test with few MFX-locos.

Next week after I have been releasedBigGrin BigGrin I will tell you my thought and experiences.

I hope that your patience until then.Blushing Blushing

Meanwhile Happy Training anyways

Regards

Jukka
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline nitramretep  
#5 Posted : 27 October 2016 14:36:25(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
Jukka, I feel bad for you not having a smooth transition with the CS3. I heard from a US dealer that the CS3 is not bug free, nor was it in great shape for the Toy Show. I find it a little thought less that no English manual (or readable) was provided. I am hopeful you can get back to us with some good news, but in the meantime thanks for the information.
Offline siroljuk  
#6 Posted : 01 November 2016 11:20:18(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello Everyone!
Now this is in the right topic

I have made some testing with new CS3+, not much but anyway . .

First important thing: I made all testing without other connections than only small oval layout and connection to Internet( my home network with internet connection).

CS3+ is much more faster than CS2. It have LINUX Debian inside and it have also Webserver like CS2 but CS3+ webserver.
With CS3+ web server it is possible taking only viewing and downloading your own images as the images of trains, as well as the screenshots to your own computer.
I am disappointed of that poor web server. No helps no other language than German well. . . almost useless.

Then I put one FMX lock onto layout. Everything went OK, no problems at all. You have to wait for about ten seconds before CS3+ start to recognize the train. I don't know where CS3+ did take the picture of that train, but picture was right. And all functions were also OK.

Layout constructions are different than CS2. I did not copied anything from CS2 to CS3+ yet. I don't know what information can be copied and how buggy manners copying might be at the moment.
As I earlier told it is impossible to do layout construction with bare hands( at least my fingers cannot be pointed exactly) the mouse is good for pointing, and good (and expensive small point touch pen). I did buy a good pen and it is quite handy.

There are many fine features considering layout construction but for future I really hope that we could find a reliable solution to copy all layout devices and features from old CSx devices to CS3 and CS3+.

In CS3+ there are three automated help lines (assistants) with which you can learn certain maneuvers; Start operations for the first time, Locomotive list and Item list.
I did try to go through those assistants but they are buggy and in my opinion so difficult to understand that they are worthless.

Here you can see the first page from CS3+ after boot. This layout is made by me.
My recommendation is that when you get the device go trough all icons system is the most important, but it is worth to see all of them. You will learn how Märklin was thinking whe they made function into new CS3 and CS3+.

I am going to make PDF-file of more thought about CS3+ later this week.

BTW I did updated new device like Märklin has told, no problems at all.

Happy Training

Regards

Jukka
Offline MaerklinLife  
#7 Posted : 01 November 2016 11:55:01(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: siroljuk Go to Quoted Post
BTW I did updated new device like Märklin has told, no problems at all.

Which way is that? Which version are you currently on? Mine does not seem to get any updates.

Offline siroljuk  
#8 Posted : 01 November 2016 14:11:55(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hi,
Version number did not changed.

As you see version is 1.0.0(0), but . . .
The green check-mark is there and it was red before updating.

in web server screenshot you can see the read or pink triangle which says that there is some kind of emergency update.
I did that too and it went ok.

I am doing a series of screenshots and writing my observations with pictures. A .PDF-file is coming soon . . .

This is very interesting and it really takes timeBigGrin BigGrin

Jukka
Offline MaerklinLife  
#9 Posted : 01 November 2016 14:28:26(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Okay I was afraid to click the "emergency update" button. I will try and do that.

Did your screenshot feature work before the update? Because mine does not currently work it gives me an http 404 not found. As if the feature is not in the webserver.
Offline siroljuk  
#10 Posted : 01 November 2016 15:01:55(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello,BigGrin BigGrin
Here is more information of my first tour with CS3+:

Happy Training

Regards

Jukka
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline siroljuk  
#11 Posted : 01 November 2016 15:04:02(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Yes webserver has worked at the first beginning OK

Jukka
Offline nitramretep  
#12 Posted : 01 November 2016 16:28:46(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
Thanks for your updates, they are very helpful. Are you satisfied the unit is working?

Edited by user 01 November 2016 21:21:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline siroljuk  
#13 Posted : 02 November 2016 14:17:47(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello everyone BigGrin
Here is second document of my studies, it is about Track Board Diagram, how to edit and get functional Board.

I hope that this will open a bit of CS3+ way of doing layout picture for CS3.BigGrin BigGrin

Happy Training
Regards
Jukka
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline siroljuk  
#14 Posted : 02 November 2016 15:06:57(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Originally Posted by: nitramretep Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for your updates, they are very helpful. Are you satisfied the unit is working?

Yes I am.
The device works quite well and is significantly faster than the old CS2. There are some inaccuracies in the operations, but they are easy to learn to pass.
So far I have been very satisfied.

Jukka

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline siroljuk  
#15 Posted : 03 November 2016 14:19:06(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello again all.BigGrin BigGrin
Here are a few observations how CS3 + was working when I put it onto a real track environment.
Track include one booster and one L88.

I connect all wires and then put all on. Everything seemed OK BUT . . .
After I have configure L88 as it should be and after looked at in more detail the devices and their configuration data I saw that all is not OK.
Booster did not show any values at all and L88 configuration was empty. ( zeroes in places where should be 4).

I configured L88 again, but evet hough numbers seemed to change actually they did not changed. And Booster did not show values like in the picture above.

THERE IS some kind of BUG in the Märklin Sofware that is for sure. I tried all possible maneuvers to put S88 Bus Lenght but I did not manage

After I cut all the electricity from all devices and put all on again, Booster woke up and after re-configuration of L88 all seems to be OK now.

One more thing: when Booster seemed to be down, it still gave electricity to track and I could run my trains.Confused Confused.

Anyway this is a good start. I have been ready for all kinds of troubles with new device so no problem for me those small defects in the software. There will be updates many time in future.BigGrin BigGrin

Now I put my new device into whole layout and configure all turnouts and contacts and test what might be next troublesThumpUp ThumpUp

I'll get back soon

Meanwhile

Happy Training

Regards

Jukka

Offline dickinsonj  
#16 Posted : 05 November 2016 01:09:36(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Hello again all.BigGrin BigGrin
Here are a few observations how CS3 + was working when I put it onto a real track environment.
Track include one booster and one L88.

As someone who is deciding when to get a CS3 I really appreciate your reviews and assessments.

I think that the CS3 will be really nice once the intro bugs are worked out. It seems to offer some intriguing new functionality beyond what the CS2 can do.

Thanks so much and please keep the reports coming! Cool

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline siroljuk  
#17 Posted : 05 November 2016 16:16:12(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello BigGrin BigGrin
Today I configured my testing layout for CS3+:

CS3+ had no problems at all. It takes some time for your mouse hand to learn how to draw and put items.

I used many many Track Route items ( a small quadrangle Track Layout menu item ) and after the picture was all drawn then I deleted all unnecessary item away.

As you can see above pictures it is possible to draw quite large layout in one screen. This is good feature of CS3 and CS3+.
Next job is to configure all contacts for layout and test them. I think I'll do own track diagram for all possible contacts for testing purpose first.

I will tell you after this task is done.

Happy Training

Regards
Jukka
Offline siroljuk  
#18 Posted : 10 November 2016 15:04:24(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello againBigGrin BigGrin

Here is new document of my studies around the CS3 Plus

I hope you enjoy.BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Jukka

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline siroljuk  
#19 Posted : 14 November 2016 14:30:13(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
HelloBigGrin BigGrin
Here is some information from real life considering what can be done by connecting old CS2 and new CS3 Plus together.

You can connect CS2 and CS3 to network, but those devices don't see each other, you need Märklin 60123 cable if you want to connect device so that devices could in theory transfer data between them or see each other.
At the moment 60123 can be used, but data-transfer don't work we have to wait for new update.
I have tried transfer in many ways but not succeed. CS3 Plus see CS2 and CS2 automatically goes to auxiliary mode. When CS2 is in auxiliary mode and connected to CS3 Plus all information in CS2( keyboard, layouts, memory and locos) cannot be seen and use. When devices are connected by 60123 and CS2 is in auxiliary mode I have managed to get ( using CS2) locos from CS3 Plus and they worked fine. With present software versions you cannot transfer other data, not keyboard, memory and memory.

Today I tried also current version of Märklin PC-software. It don't work at all with CS3 Plus. ThumbDown ThumbDown.

So we have to wait and hope new updates Razz Razz

Happy Training though

Regards

Jukka
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline clapcott  
#20 Posted : 15 November 2016 01:08:32(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Hi Jukka,

I found you post rather confusing and would seek some qualification and re-verification.

At the outset I would also ask for some clarity on what is meant/expected by "data-transfer".
I would like a distinction in this area for
- As a basic auxiliary throttle (roster from master, available to auxillary)
- As a booster
- For syncing of mutual data. (?implied expectation?)

The tone of certain discussions seem to expect that there will be a way to transfer configuration data from a secondary(auxilary) device TO the master(CS3) and I am at a loss to understand where this expectation comes from.
I consider the backup/restore option as mentioned in the Manual to be a "one off - do at initial configuration only (if you dare)" option.

Quote:

You can connect CS2 and CS3 to network, but those devices don't see each other,

Where/How are you determining this?

Quote:

you need Märklin 60123 cable if you want to connect device so that devices could in theory transfer data between them or see each other.
At the moment 60123 can be used, but data-transfer don't work we have to wait for new update.

As above , exactly what data are you expecting
- can the Auxiliary see the roster of the master
- does the auxiliary work as a booster
- configuration sync (one way v two way?)

Do you have any substance to what the update that you refer to will actually deliver.

Quote:

I have tried transfer in many ways but not succeed.

I would appreciate a step by step elaboration with screenshots.
Also noting if errors or "nothing" happens when you thinkit should

Quote:

CS3 Plus see CS2 and CS2 automatically goes to auxiliary mode.

This "automatic" mode change is concerning - please re-verify

Quote:

When CS2 is in auxiliary mode and connected to CS3 Plus all information in CS2( keyboard, layouts, memory and locos) cannot be seen and use.

? Why are you expecting the old data of the CS2 to be viewable from the CS3 ? Where did this idea come from ?

Traditionally the CS2 slave may select if it inherits data ( keyboard, layouts, memory and locos) from the Master (not the other way around)
However if the master data structure is significantly different from the slaves capabilities then there will be limitations e.g. CS3 Layout handling of curves does not have an equivalent in the CS2 layout scheme.
Peter
Offline siroljuk  
#21 Posted : 15 November 2016 13:55:57(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello Everyone. And thank you Peter for your post. I understand that you need more specific information here I try to explain more:
First: I mean data transfer like transferring an functional backup from CS2 to CS3 and get all information of, layouts, magnetic articles, memory etc. to CS3 and see them in CS3-way there.

You asked: "The tone of certain discussions seem to expect that there will be a way to transfer configuration data from a secondary(auxilary) device TO the master(CS3) and I am at a loss to understand where this expectation comes from."

Well Look the picture of CS3 manual page 6:

The manual says:"Then you can
import your valuable locomotive, magnetic items, and track data from there in a few steps.
All you need is a USB stick with the backup of your CS2 data. Important: As the first step,
insert the USB stick into either of the two USB ports on the back of the CS3."

I understand this so that you should have possibilities to transfer all necessary data from CS2 so that your environmet will be in CS3 as it is in CS2.

Then about connecting CS2 and CS3 to network:

As you know you can put Ethernet cable to CSx and reboot the device, they connect automatically into your network if you use DHCP in both devices. I have done this and both devices were connected but they don't see each other in any ways. PC in contrast see both devices fine.( device's webserver can be seen in PC and all webserver functions did function OK) actually CS3's webserver do not have many functions yet.)

If you connect CS2 and CS3 together with Cable 60123 and put devices on. ( you should always make connection like this without electricity). After boot CS2 turns itself to auxiliary device mode and CS3 is Master device. When you look in CS2 in this situation, you can not see anything old information there( All locos are invisible and you cannot get them to action. Same situation is considering layouts, magnetic articles and memory.)
You cannot see information which is inside CS2 from CS3.( I didn't find any kind of manner to get data from CS2 to CS3 using cable connection)

BUT . . . I did manage to get locos from CS3 to CS2 using cable ( 60123) connection). I cannot tell you exact step by step how i Did it yet, I try to rearrange the situation later and tell you after new study how you could do it.

When I used 60123 connection CS2 ( in auxiliary mode) was like booster, but you cannot see it just like real booster: Look at the picture

You see it but only so little information about it.
I know that slave cannot update master device but somehow there must be a way to transfer in some cases high amount of data from CS2 to CS3 using fast network instead of using tumble USB.

And finally:

I have examined backup-data from both devices: CS2 and CS3 Plus. Simply backup files are ZIPped files and can be opened with WinZip. I am sure after looking at those files that all graphical pictures like turnouts, signals, etc. are in the CS3's memory, therefore all that kind of graphical items can be used when device is "translating" CS2 data to CS3 data.
Of course I expect that new device which is meant to replace old device, can use all old device's data automatically ( or there should be tools for manually translate).

The new device has a lot of shortcomings, and possibly even incorrect functions, but I believe that within few months Märklin will correct incorrect functions and fulfill expectations.

If anyone of you have idea(s) how to test and what to test with new CS3 Plus, I am willing to do tests for you.Blushing

I hope that Peter you got some questions, please ask more, I try to answer.

Regards

Jukka
Offline fhp2  
#22 Posted : 15 November 2016 14:44:44(UTC)
fhp2

France   
Hello Jekka,
As I said earlier, after restoring my CS3+ from my CS2 backup file, the all background is pink and as a consequence, it is impossible to visualize the connecting tracks between objects (turnouts etc...).
The software version of my CS3+ is 1.1.0 (BETA3).
People at Marklin told me to reset to factory settings the CS3+, the update the software another time, and then try to restore again the CS2 backup file.
I will try this next weekend but I am not sure I know how to reset the CS3+ to factory settings...
Any ideas ?
Best, Francois.
Offline siroljuk  
#23 Posted : 15 November 2016 15:54:29(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hi Francois.BigGrin BigGrin

My attempt to download the update from CS2 to CS3 stopped because I didn't find proper USB-stick. I have many of them, but it seems to me that no one worked properly.

Then one of Forum's member warned me to try too hard with CS2 update to CS3. So I have not tried it, but still I wonder that Beta-version of yours. I can get Beta-version software to my CS3 Plus, and it makes a purple background. But even though CS2's backup will not transfer to CS3 Plus. And I really don't know why.

So If you have proper and functional UBS-stick with some kind of led light then try to look that light when you make a backup from CS2. look at the clock how much time it takes to make backup to USB. After that move the stick to CS3 and try to restore backup into it. Look again how much time it takes in CS3.
During my experiences backup from CS2 takes several minutes, and when I try to restore it to Cs3 it takes only one or two seconds and then light is steady and nothing happens even if I wait for many many minutes. Once I waited over an hour and restore didn't succeed. Confused Confused

I will try again tomorrow so let's see what might be the outcomes.

Regards

Jukka
Offline fhp2  
#24 Posted : 15 November 2016 17:04:41(UTC)
fhp2

France   
Thank you for your answer.
When I save my datas from the cs2 to USB, it takes roughly 1 to 1,5 minutes at the most. I have around 150 accessories and 400 locos in the database.
Then when I restored the usb into the cs3+, it took maybe 4 minutes at the most and all accessories, routes, and locos were transferred .
My only problem is the pink color...!
I use a 4 GB USB stick.
Offline dickinsonj  
#25 Posted : 16 November 2016 01:27:20(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: fhp2 Go to Quoted Post

Sounds like a software bug to me. Hang on, Märklin will no doubt fix that eventually.

It can be tough to be a buyer of just introduced tech products. Even Apple ships millions of devices with problems that they have to clean up later. I know that from personal experience.

I think this kind of thing is to be expected, although I do understand that you paid serious money for a device that does not operate properly and you have every right to be annoyed.

Welcome to the Brave New Digital World!

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline NewComix  
#26 Posted : 16 November 2016 19:10:35(UTC)
NewComix

Germany   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: fhp2 Go to Quoted Post

Sounds like a software bug to me.

the pink colour is by purpose and showing that the beta version is installed by using right knob + Stop. The way back to production is by left knop + Stop

kind regards
Jörg
Offline PerR  
#27 Posted : 20 November 2016 21:09:56(UTC)
PerR

Denmark   
I have just updated my CS3 plus to version 1.1.0(3) and this is not a Beta version.

But there is still things not working yet.

I have tried to connect my PC running cs2.exe, and there is connection. You can activate the STOP but you cannot select any of the trains defined in CS3. But from my Android device I can select loks from the CS3 lok list, and it seems like you can activate the functions and speed. The same for my CS2 acting as a slave.

Best regards
Per
Offline fhp2  
#28 Posted : 20 November 2016 21:20:31(UTC)
fhp2

France   
Hello,
For me too, the updated version 1.1.0(3) has been installed.
But now, I cannot restore my cs2 backup file...
Any ideas ?
Thank you, Francois.
Offline siroljuk  
#29 Posted : 10 December 2016 09:11:06(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello Everyone BigGrin BigGrin

I have spent my free time recently by playing with my new 3D printer, PRUSA 3i, but yesterday I started again to study my CS3 Plus.
I found that several updates where available and of course I did all updates first. Evertything went OK, no problem.
Then I started to add manually all my locos to CS3 Plus. It took quite a while and now all locos are there I also added Märklin "Messwagen" 49960.

At the moment CS3 Plus is in this situation:

The device ( CS3 Plus) is working fine, all locos runs fine and turnouts and contacts works fine, but . . .

"Messwagen" don't work.

I tried to make configuration manually address 75 and MM-protocol. Wagon was on the program-track. it responds only so that it show the speed of wagon. If I push whatever function F1 to F4, behavior don't change, it shows only speed.
Then I used my old CS2 and it's program-Track and wagon worked as it should when I pushed those Fx buttons.

The I looked into CS3 Plus's MM-database ( it cand be used when locos protocol is MM. There is Messwagen and when I downloaded it configuration seemed to be ok. But it wouldn't work better.

I know that this wagon is meant to be used with old DELTA units but because it worked with CS2 I assumed that it will work also with CS3 Plus.

ANY IDEAS whant can I do to get this wagon into proper condition?Blushing Blushing

Someone might ask Why I purchased 3D printer. Well I am going to make spare parts for my Märklin world. Drool I have done so all ready, nothing big but anyway now I know how to configure this printer, what exactly cannot be done and how to use it in proper way.
I have to say that it is good thing really worth buying ( about 300 euros). It was DIY-kit and it took about one day to make it.

This thread is not for #d stuff so nothing more about it. Send me e-mail if you want to hear more.

OK now I continue to work with CS3 Plus

Happy Training Everyone

Regards

Jukka

Offline H0  
#30 Posted : 10 December 2016 09:24:17(UTC)
H0

Hi!
I know that this wagon is meant to be used with old DELTA units but because it worked with CS2 I assumed that it will work also with CS3 Plus.

ANY IDEAS whant can I do to get this wagon into proper condition?Blushing Blushing
There never was a Delta box with F1 through F4. This car was built for the 6021 AFAIK.
It does not work with Mobile Stations because they never bothered to implement the special MM protocol variation needed by this car. However they implemented that protocol variation in the Central Stations 60212 through 60215.

Ask Märklin. Maybe a future CS3 upgrade will add support for those old coaches.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline siroljuk  
#31 Posted : 10 December 2016 09:38:43(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Thank you TomBigGrin BigGrin

You are right in the 49960's manual they say that conventional operation with DELTA and digital operation with 6020 or control unit 6021.

So let's wait if Märklin will update CS3 Plus for this kind of old special decoders.

Jukka

Offline dickinsonj  
#32 Posted : 10 December 2016 15:41:13(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

So let's wait if Märklin will update CS3 Plus for this kind of old special decoders.

Tom is right - there were decoders that worked with the 6021 and later the 60213-60215 but which may not function correctly with a CS3/CS3+. It seems like your 49960 might be one case and I'm sure that over time we will learn of more.

It makes me wonder how/if my 2001 two decoder MM Big Boy will operate when used with a CS3. I guess if it does not work correctly with a CS3 it will motivate me to finally change it over to a modern decoder, which it really needs anyway. Luckily I am still some time away from migrating to the CS3, since I am quite happy with the capabilities of my 60215 CS2.

Edited by user 14 December 2016 17:33:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards,
Jim

Offline H0  
#33 Posted : 10 December 2016 15:53:45(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
It makes me wonder how/if my 2001 two decoder MM Big Boy will operate when used with a CS3.
I wouldn't expect problems with that one.
49960, 4998, and 4999 are cars that require the special mode - pre-fx function decoders.
Locos with fx decoders shouldn't have issues.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline siroljuk  
#34 Posted : 10 December 2016 16:01:36(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hi,
Today I put one signal 70391 onto my testing layout and configured it to CS3 Plus. Signal was in DCC mode, and I had no problem to get it working. I have not tested that signal in FX-mode.
Sometimes i feel very difficult to read Märklin English text ( in their device manuals) therefore I have to do, make mistakes and do again and success all POM-configurations first in real life.
I will inform if there might be some interesting behavior with CS3 Plus and above mentioned signal-type.

Jukka
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline siroljuk  
#35 Posted : 11 December 2016 11:58:05(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello againBigGrin BigGrin

Today I tested: What exactly happen, when you put CS3 Plus and CS2 together with cable 60123. It took few hours to solve what you can do and which possible features do not work yet.

First: Put 60123 cable to both devices with power off, it is important to secure that your devices don't broke down.

Second: turn CS3 Plus on first and wait that device works normally.

To this point I have done quite work to manually configure all my locos and magnetic devices and one MFX signal to CS3 Plus. I have not succeed to transfer configuration information from CS2 to CS3 Plus using USB-device so I did all manually.

Third: put the power on for CS2 and wait . . . if CS2 ( I assume that in most cases it will be) is master, CS3 Plus can see the situation:

And CS2 also notice the situation:

As you see those devices don't know what kind of master is at another end of cable. Interesting was that my CS2 wants to initiate TFP version to DOWN !!!
If someone of you please tell me what that TFP means( perhaps it is some kind of protocol)

At the first time I did push green check-mark and the result was odd for me:

I didn't know at that time what was happening, I waited for an hour and same information was on the CS2's screen. I didn't went away so I cut the power and put it on again.

Then I tried to find out in what condition my CS2 was I realized that it went to slave mode but there was no information from CS3 Plus.
Now I am sure that there are deficiency in Märklin software and I started to find out what can be done (for transferring information) at this stage.

At the moment you can transfer from CS3 Plus to CS2 KEYBOARD-information and Locomotives but not TrackBoard. I don't know about MEMORY-information yet, but I will test it also.

I surely understand that because layouts are so different in each devices t it is difficult to make same kind of layout-picture to CS2 as it is in CS3 Plus.

I managed to transfer information as follows:

CS3 Plus is powered on as master CS2 is powered on as a slave and NOW VERY IMPORTANT: make sure that all check-marks are off:

This is important because automatically transfer is not going to begin.

Then check "Sync with Master" and (keybd. or contr.) one at the time and wait that CS2 informs you that transferring is done. Here is one example:

It took time to manageHuh Huh but now we all know at least one way to do this at the moment.
I am sure that all this is going to change in near future when we can get more updates from MärklinBigGrin BigGrin

Thats all for now

Happy Training Everyone

Regards

Jukka
Offline H0  
#36 Posted : 11 December 2016 14:32:29(UTC)
H0

Hi!

TFP is the Track Format Processor that generates the track signal. I assume your CS2 was trying to downgrade the TFP inside the CS3.
So it's good that there wasn't any progress.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline siroljuk  
#37 Posted : 11 December 2016 14:54:16(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Thank You again Tom.BigGrin BigGrin

So if CS2 is trying to do so, there is ( at least in my opinion) big problem at Märklin Software and Update officeAngry . Because they promise that CS2 and CS3 Plus will work together, why on earth they are not updated both device to the same level ( when we discuss about Track Signal processing).

It shows that somewhere in their organization Left hands don't know what Right hands are doing.
I was expecting problems but not this kind of problem.

Cursing Cursing I am a bit angry now. There is one other thing that should be changed as soon as possible.
They should put some kind of indicator to tell to user that something is going on inside the device. Moving something until all is done.

And for both version of Central Station.Mad Mad

Perhaps they do so in futureBlink Blink

Jukka
Offline Steamer01  
#38 Posted : 11 December 2016 16:13:10(UTC)
Steamer01

Netherlands   
Hello Everyone BigGrin BigGrin

I have spent my free time recently by playing with my new 3D printer, PRUSA 3i, but yesterday I started again to study my CS3 Plus.
I found that several updates where available and of course I did all updates first. Evertything went OK, no problem.
Then I started to add manually all my locos to CS3 Plus. It took quite a while and now all locos are there I also added Märklin "Messwagen" 49960.

At the moment CS3 Plus is in this situation:

The device ( CS3 Plus) is working fine, all locos runs fine and turnouts and contacts works fine, but . . .

"Messwagen" don't work.

I tried to make configuration manually address 75 and MM-protocol. Wagon was on the program-track. it responds only so that it show the speed of wagon. If I push whatever function F1 to F4, behavior don't change, it shows only speed.
Then I used my old CS2 and it's program-Track and wagon worked as it should when I pushed those Fx buttons.

The I looked into CS3 Plus's MM-database ( it cand be used when locos protocol is MM. There is Messwagen and when I downloaded it configuration seemed to be ok. But it wouldn't work better.

Someone might ask Why I purchased 3D printer. Well I am going to make spare parts for my Märklin world. Drool I have done so all ready, nothing big but anyway now I know how to configure this printer, what exactly cannot be done and how to use it in proper way.
I have to say that it is good thing really worth buying ( about 300 euros). It was DIY-kit and it took about one day to make it.

This thread is not for #d stuff so nothing more about it. Send me e-mail if you want to hear more.

OK now I continue to work with CS3 Plus

Happy Training Everyone

Regards

Jukka

I have the same problem with my Messwagen 49960 and also with the Turmtriebwagen 39970 (only with the fx functions).

Steamer01
CS3 60216 + 8 x 60174 + 1 x 60175
www.rensenmodelbaanwereld.com
Offline Goofy  
#39 Posted : 11 December 2016 17:07:44(UTC)
Goofy

The decoder in the mess wagen do have MM1 protocol.
Make sure CS3 stand MM1 and correct adress on the mouse dip switch.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline PerR  
#40 Posted : 11 December 2016 21:04:27(UTC)
PerR

Denmark   
Hi,

thank you to siroljuk for your findings exploring the CS+.

I have connected a CS2 (60214) and a CS2 (60215) and two boosters (60174) to my CS3+ (60216) and I have noticed that all the GFP's ( in both of the CS2's and the boosters) have been updated to version 3.53.

I can use the boosters in the two CS2's to connect to the tracks.

In the beginning I could only see trains in the two CS2's when I have added new trains on my CS3+ but now I can also see the trains from the CS3+ when I follow the suggested procedure.

I have also added my MESSWAGEN 49960 but I can not control the digital functions.

As I remember the 49960 is using the old MM1 protocol and I am not sure that the CS3+ supports that. I hope that this will be supported in a later version of the software.

I have used Wireshark to find out if the CS3+ behaves like the CS2 when sending "CAN bus" messages on the IP network, but my findings until now is that it does not look the same.

The CS2 was sending out messages from the IP address of the CS2 to a local broadcast address like 192.168.1.255, but I don't see messages like these from the CS3+.

I have tried to connect the PC program cs2.exe to the CS3+, but only the start/stop functionallity seems to work. The CS3+ is shown as a CS2.

One of my friends are running with the "Games on track" PC program, but this is not able to work with the CS3+ yet.

Let us hope that a software update will come soon to fix the issues found until now.

Please let us know if you have found workaround for some of the issues.

Best regards
Per
Offline sanoaskosano  
#41 Posted : 11 December 2016 22:42:26(UTC)
sanoaskosano

Hello everyone, this is my first message on this forum even though I have been a member for many years.
I have Cs3 30226. Cs2.exe works well, but MSD decoders can not add sounds and Decoder-Programmer for mLD3 and mSD3 and Decodertool mDT cant find Cs3 unit.

Online kiwiAlan  
#42 Posted : 11 December 2016 23:32:53(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Thank You again Tom.BigGrin BigGrin

So if CS2 is trying to do so, there is ( at least in my opinion) big problem at Märklin Software and Update officeAngry . Because they promise that CS2 and CS3 Plus will work together, why on earth they are not updated both device to the same level ( when we discuss about Track Signal processing).

It shows that somewhere in their organization Left hands don't know what Right hands are doing.
I was expecting problems but not this kind of problem.

Cursing Cursing I am a bit angry now. There is one other thing that should be changed as soon as possible.
They should put some kind of indicator to tell to user that something is going on inside the device. Moving something until all is done.

And for both version of Central Station.Mad Mad

Perhaps they do so in futureBlink Blink

Jukka

The TFP software in the two devices will not be at the same revision as the cs3 is a different device to the cs2. I would ignore that message and just click the green tick when asked if I want to make the cs2 a slave.

Offline jonas_sthlm  
#43 Posted : 13 December 2016 07:32:42(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
"I would ignore that message and just click the green tick when asked if I want to make the cs2 a slave."

But don't forget to report issue to Märklin service ThumpUp
Collecting Swedish items since the 80s / CS3+ / MSW / 60175 Booster / 60881 S88 AC / TC10 Gold / K, C-Tracks / Favorites Class Ra / modelltag.se - Forum modelltag.se - Facebook modelltag.se - YouTube
Offline clapcott  
#44 Posted : 13 December 2016 07:52:57(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

The TFP software in the two devices will not be at the same revision as the cs3 is a different device to the cs2.

Is this really correct?

I see no reason why the TFP (Track Format Processor) software should not be the same.
Did we see different versions for the 60213, 60214 and 60215 ?

Functionally the CS2 needs to pump exactly the same stuff to the track and handle the the responses in exactly the same way.

There are no changes in this area of track communications, and Marklin have not indicated any limitations on the operational functionality of a layout system with CS3's and CS2's

Peter
Offline siroljuk  
#45 Posted : 13 December 2016 07:54:30(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Good Morning BigGrin BigGrin
I am sure that Märklin people read all comments which are found from this Forum considering new CS3.
I have sent few e-mails to Märklin and they don't respond at all or in some service person have responded after few weeks I have sent.

So it really is frustrating to send information and wait fore respond.

So I have decided to write to Forum people here seems to read and comment, it is VERY NICE.ThumpUp ThumpUp

Regards

Jukka
Offline H0  
#46 Posted : 13 December 2016 11:23:02(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
I see no reason why the TFP (Track Format Processor) software should not be the same.
There was a time when they had a TFP for use with transformers and one TFP for use with power supplies - until they added that as a setting on the configuration screen.

The TFP is a computer. Do they still use the same processor? And the same clock speed?
Maybe they had to use different chips that require different software.

It seems they changed the MS2 hardware in a way that requires different firmware versions to support them.

I know nothing about the TFPs. Could be same hardware or different hardware, could be same or different software.

Even if the hardware is the same, downgrading the TFP of a new CS3 with old TFP firmware from a CS2 could lead to problems.

Read the messages carefully and when the version numbers indicate a downgrade then go for Cancel unless you know what you are doing.
Some folks bricked their MS2 after accidentally starting a downgrade.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#47 Posted : 14 December 2016 04:52:36(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi,
… Then I started to look different pages PROBLEM ONE: my fingers are too big for this touch screen, it is difficult to get precise touch. Then my fingers are too dry to get touch every time.
So Need to buy a touch pen with quite fine tip. I do have touch pen but it is too cheap( I think) because it is hard to get good touch with it. so DON'T BUY a CHEAPEST PEN, buy good one.

Correct and indeed for some people this is a real problem. To myself it was too. I also have this problem with the Apple tablet. But while you cannot connect the tablet to a USB mouse (I did it via bluetooth, but this is not as good as via USB), here at the CS 3. YES you can do it! And it is very easy to do!

I just plugged the sender into the USB slot from my wireless mouse. Switched the mouse on. It was pairing itself and from the very first moment it is working perfectly. No need touching the screen. And it keeps the screen clear from my fat fingerprints too.

Do not buy a new touch pen. Buy a new mouse. I had the very best experiences for such external devices (mouse, keyboard, etc.) from Logitech - only excellent products from these Swiss guys.

Meanwhile I added an USB hub into both USB slots (my hub has two USB connectors for a better power supply). This hub has 7 USB slots, one is used for the mouse. So I do have another 6 slots for keyboard (well even in the CS 3, sometimes a keyboard occurs on screen, if you need it for typing) bigger screen or whatever. I use an USB hub with switches. Makes life easier, because you do not have all the time to remove and plug in again the not used devices.
Offline TEEWolf  
#48 Posted : 14 December 2016 05:29:16(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: sanoaskosano Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone, this is my first message on this forum even though I have been a member for many years.
I have Cs3 30226. Cs2.exe works well, but MSD decoders can not add sounds and Decoder-Programmer for mLD3 and mSD3 and Decodertool mDT cant find Cs3 unit.

sanoaskosano, with a 30226??? nothing is functioning. I recommend to use the 60226.

What do you mean by “CS2.exe works”? An exe file you need for your computer, but not for your CS 3. At the CS 3 you have to activate eg a CS 2 into the network system before you can use it. The same you have to do with other devices, like your decoder tool mDT. See page 32 on Minoks manual translation (Mmt) for the CS 3.

The decoder configuration comes either automatically from your loco, if they have the mfx format installed. Or you have to programme them, if it is the MM or DCC format in your loco. But locos in the MM or DCC format you have to add manually (even if you can select it via the included database) to the CS 3. That is the way I understand it from the instruction manual. Because I only have mfx or mfx+ decoders in my locos, so I do not have to do it manually.

Please be aware, if you choose your locos from the database, the decoders in your locos must not be configured in the listed locos from this database. Especially if you built in these decoders by yourself. So I would recommend you to insert these locos completely new and totally manually. (see page 11 and following at the Mmt)
Offline H0  
#49 Posted : 14 December 2016 08:13:24(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
What do you mean by “CS2.exe works”? An exe file you need for your computer, but not for your CS 3.
Yep.
CS2.exe can be downloaded from Märklin's site for use on a PC.

The MDT can be used to write the decoder configuration to the decoder. The mfx magic needs some initialisation first.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline siroljuk  
#50 Posted : 14 December 2016 16:20:56(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello BigGrin BigGrin

I am continuing my studies now to next stage; Automation of Sequences ( in CS2 it is ROUTES).

I have tried to find out what has been in Märklin-peoples mind when they have programmed this section to CS3 Plus.

I am using word Route meaning a Sequence which includes several Events.( Read the English version of Central Station 3 manual starting page 28)

There are many questions in my mind and I will try to find answers by doing and failing and doing again, but one question above all is in my mind at the moment:

Look the picture:

What differences might been between Contact S88 Circuit Track and Contact S88 Contact Track?

All other contacts are quite clear to me( I probably know how to use them), but those two In my opinion they behaves similar way??Confused Confused.

I sent a letter to Märklin Service in which I ask nicely to get more information form designers about CS3 how they see , how CS3 should be used and ask also written documents in which one can find out meaning of all fine new features of CS3 Plus and how new parameters can and should do.

I have not found any detailed information in any language about CS3 and CS3 Plus devices programs features and how those feature should be used.
Only document is at the moment this unofficial English translation of Märklin Central Station 3 German manual, whis can be found here from this Forum.

I'm desperate because of lack specific information. Just trying is so time consumingSad Sad Sad

Regards

Jukka