Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Donb  
#1 Posted : 26 October 2016 01:44:23(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Hi,

I have recently unboxed my collection and set up a temp layout, all was going well untill I upgraded to the new Mobile Station, then my 3734 Re 4/4 started running roughly, jerky at slow speed, and excessively noisy. It has been oiled (wheels and gears) and cleaned (wheels and pickup), but alas still runs roughly. It was running fine with the older mobile station controller. All my other locos are running fine.
I am sure it has nothing to do with the new controller, any suggestions on how to fix this problem? I am new to servicing locos. Not sure what needs to be looked at.
Cheers all

Don
Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Donb
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 26 October 2016 08:13:16(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Donb Go to Quoted Post
I am sure it has nothing to do with the new controller, any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
Try the old controller to be sure about this. The controller could make a difference.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 26 October 2016 08:47:15(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It sounds like the old DCM motor quirk. Did you apply a drop of oil to the end bearing on the brush plate? Apply one small drop only, otherwise the oil gets into the brushes and commutator and really messes things up.

If you have over-oiled the motor you'll have to disassemble it and give the brush plate and commutator a good clean to remove the oil.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Donb  
#4 Posted : 26 October 2016 22:14:56(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Whats the secret to getting the motor and wheel assembly to release from the chassis? The lower brush plate screw is blocked by the chassis.
Thanks for the help!
Don
Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 26 October 2016 23:12:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Whats the secret to getting the motor and wheel assembly to release from the chassis? The lower brush plate screw is blocked by the chassis.
Thanks for the help!
Don

You have to drop the bogie out of the chassis. Release the screw under the bogie which holds a keeper plate. You will also need to release the coupling screw to get the plastic bogie side-frames off. After that you should be able to jiggle the motor bogie free of the chassis.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Donb  
#6 Posted : 27 October 2016 05:05:07(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Per Tom's recommendation, I reconnected the 60652 Mobile Station and indeed the 3734 runs smoothly again.
With the 60657 Mobile Station connected, the 3734 runs roughly in the slow speed range, up to about one quarter of the speed range. Above that and it smooths out.
The decoder in this particular loco does not seem to be communicating properly with the new MS.
As I have mentioned, all my other locos are running fine with the new MS.
Strange.
Any thoughts about this?
Greetings from Western Canada!
Don
Best Regards,
Don
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 27 October 2016 06:46:03(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The 3734 has an older decoder that only understands Marklin Motorola digital format. You might consider upgrading the decoder to one of the more recent ones that understands mfx, dcc and other systems. Make sure that when you program the locomotive into your MS, that it is clearly registered as a MM (Motorola) locomotive.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 27 October 2016 08:20:52(UTC)
H0

Per Tom's recommendation, I reconnected the 60652 Mobile Station and indeed the 3734 runs smoothly again.
So the different behaviour can be attributed to the different track outputs of those two controllers.
I don't know whether this depends on different output voltages or on different output formats.

The 60652 was developed by ESU. Them guys know their trade.
The 60657 was developed by Märklin (or by an unknown company on behalf of Märklin).
The decoder is an early Märklin decoder.

Ignore the problems and drive faster. Or replace the decoder. Or replace the controller.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Donb  
#9 Posted : 27 October 2016 18:24:40(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
OK thanks everyone for your assistance. Down the road I'll probably upgrade the decoder.

Don
Best Regards,
Don
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 27 October 2016 19:34:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Its news to me that the 6090 decoders might run worse with an MS2. I've never heard that this is an issue.

I went from the Delta control 4F to the 6021, and then jumped to the MS2, so I never experienced the MS1. I can't remember having noticed a drop in performance on any loco after the change to MS2, but it's possible I may have missed it as I have relatively few of the 6090 decoders compared to other types.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?
Ray
Offline Donb  
#11 Posted : 28 October 2016 01:41:55(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Hi all,

I now have a new problem with this loco. I cleaned the motor and it ran much quieter, for some reason, but still roughly at slow speeds. Then, after about 5 mins of running, it suddenly went to full speed. I cut the power and took the body off to make sure i hadnt upset some wiring, but it looked fine. I restarted it and it went to full speed as soon as track power was applied. I checked the ms2 to make sure the throttle was set to zero, and it was.
I then reconnected the ms1 and same thing happened, full speed as soon as track power applied.
So, i now think the decoder is faulty.
Best Regards,
Don
Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 28 October 2016 02:34:15(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Make sure you haven't changed the decoder number

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Donb  
#13 Posted : 29 October 2016 01:06:37(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Make sure you haven't changed the decoder number

John

Thanks John. I checked the decoder dip switches, no changes. I also re-entered the loco in the loco list of the MS2, and same thing, full speed ahead!Angry
I'll get my dealer to look at it. I am unfamiliar with replacing decoders, wouldn't know which one to get that would fit in place.

Don

Best Regards,
Don
Offline Loco24  
#14 Posted : 29 October 2016 02:02:19(UTC)
Loco24

United States   
Perhaps the loco is running in analog mode?

Loco24
Offline river6109  
#15 Posted : 29 October 2016 09:03:40(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
What decoder number have you got ?
Most decoders will fit
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline RayF  
#16 Posted : 29 October 2016 13:34:44(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The Marklin Re4/4 II locos like the 3734 do not have standard decoders. The decoder is part of a larger board with all the electronics on it. The easiest way to change the decoder I think is to buy the Luessi board with a decoder socket so that you can then use any decoder of your choice.

Luessi board for 8 pin decoders:

http://luessi.ch/shop/ca..._34&products_id=2302

Luessi board for 21 pin decoders:

http://luessi.ch/shop/ca...h=2&products_id=2354

Hope this helps.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline dickinsonj  
#17 Posted : 29 October 2016 15:17:40(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
The Marklin Re4/4 II locos like the 3734 do not have standard decoders. The decoder is part of a larger board with all the electronics on it. The easiest way to change the decoder I think is to buy the Luessi board with a decoder socket so that you can then use any decoder of your choice.

I agree with Ray and would second his recommendation.

I upgraded one of my locos using a Luessi board and it made for a very clean and easy decoder swap.

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Donb  
#18 Posted : 29 April 2017 17:48:01(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
I received the 8016mtc Luessi board in the mail this week.
I installed it with a 60972 decoder, and the loco works better than ever now!
Thanks to all for the help with this.
I have one headlight burned out, ill try to source a new headlight board thru M I guess.

Cheers!
Best Regards,
Don
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Donb
Offline mike c  
#19 Posted : 29 April 2017 21:53:22(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Don,

if you decide to change the LED panel, if you order one from one of the more recent models, you can replace the original yellow LEDs with one that has bright white LEDs, red taillights and long distance headlights, like the 37347/37348/37349/37359. You will probably have to add some wiring to connect the additional LEDs to the decoder.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#20 Posted : 30 April 2017 12:08:35(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Luessi board for 8 pin decoders:

http://luessi.ch/shop/ca..._34&products_id=2302

Luessi board for 21 pin decoders:

http://luessi.ch/shop/ca...h=2&products_id=2354

Hope this helps.

EXCELLENT tip! DO these boards accommodate the swiss lighting changeover as well?
SBB Era 2-5
Offline mmervine  
#21 Posted : 30 April 2017 12:42:43(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
John-yes, they do!
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline Donb  
#22 Posted : 01 May 2017 20:13:40(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Installed 8016mtc Luessi board in my 3734 Re 4/4 II .
The decoder plugs into the underside, so not visible in this photo.
Pretty simple to do, the wires go to the same locations on the new board.

Best Regards,
Don
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Donb