Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : Are you upgrading to a CS3 or not?
Choice Votes Statistics
  Total 54 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register.
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nitramretep  
#1 Posted : 13 October 2016 18:19:19(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
I was curious if we could do a poll on who is upgrading from CS2 to CS#. I have a CS2 and am wondering if the upgrade is worth it?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 13 October 2016 21:36:06(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I'll get a CS3+ eventually, but will keep my current controllers as well. I can use my CS2 and one of my CS1's as remote controllers on the layout.

But, I'm in no hurry to be first on the forum with a CS3, nor am I in a hurry to shell out $1000+ NZD to get one!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline klarinettmeister  
#3 Posted : 13 October 2016 22:17:44(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
I'll be upgrading to a cs3 Plus I think. I'll probably sell my CS2.
Offline mrmarklin  
#4 Posted : 13 October 2016 22:55:48(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   

I'll certainly upgrade to the CS3+ when advised by my gurus who will understand when the time is right.BigGrin

I will keep the CS2 as a control panel for the other 1/2 of my L shaped layout.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 14 October 2016 01:07:24(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
You have been a member since:: 15/03/2003(UTC)
I'm keeping my eCOS2.. Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline dickinsonj  
#6 Posted : 14 October 2016 01:50:19(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I'll get a CS3+ eventually, but will keep my current controllers as well. I can use my CS2 and one of my CS1's as remote controllers on the layout.

But, I'm in no hurry to be first on the forum with a CS3, nor am I in a hurry to shell out $1000+ NZD to get one!

Same here. I will definitely get a CS3+ at some time in the future, but for now my CS2 (60215) is doing the job for me.

It is nice to be in a position to wait out the inevitable teething issues with the CS3 and then get one and integrate it later. I will be keeping my CS2 as a secondary controller (slave) to the CS3+ after my upgrade. Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Danlake  
#7 Posted : 14 October 2016 03:12:48(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi all,

As I am using PC to control my layout, I am no hurry for upgrading the central station.

Had the new CS3 been with a slightly higher amp out puts (like 3.5 amps) I would have considered.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline sjbartels  
#8 Posted : 14 October 2016 05:03:25(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: nitramretep Go to Quoted Post
I was curious if we could do a poll on who is upgrading from CS2 to CS#. I have a CS2 and am wondering if the upgrade is worth it?

I'll be keeping my CS2 and MS2's. At this point the CS3 isn't necessary for what I am planning to do and by the time I am ready, CS4 might even be available
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline foumaro  
#9 Posted : 14 October 2016 05:33:16(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
CS2 is perfect for my litlle layout.
Offline Goofy  
#10 Posted : 14 October 2016 09:27:45(UTC)
Goofy

I don´t have any CSx.
But if i´m interested to get one CS3,i maybe buy this if not less other company do present new digital central.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Minok  
#11 Posted : 14 October 2016 21:29:43(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Selected 'upgrading' - as my option wasn't in the list.
I've only got a MS2 at present and will be running my layout via PC software automation and S88 sensing; so I will upgrade to a CS3+ IF and ONLY IF the CS3/3+ have proven as a solid improvement over the late model CS2 and don't have critical hardware faults. As the price of CS2s may well fall as the used supply will increase, there's got to be a solid benefit for going with a CS3+ vs a used late model CS2 when I finally finish the layout enough that I need something beyond just the MS2 for testing.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline David Dewar  
#12 Posted : 14 October 2016 23:54:29(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Will buy a CS3 and keep my CS2. Waiting as others above to see how the new model performs.

Adrian how are you doing pal. and how is Miss ?? I had forgotten about ECOS.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Oliver nagel  
#13 Posted : 15 October 2016 01:11:59(UTC)
Oliver nagel

United States   
I am Keeping my Ecos II. I cannot afford a CS3 I have important things to pay for like a car payment. mortgage, food clothes etc etc.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Oliver nagel
Offline sjbartels  
#14 Posted : 15 October 2016 01:36:56(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: Oliver nagel Go to Quoted Post
I am Keeping my Ecos II. I cannot afford a CS3 I have important things to pay for like a car payment. mortgage, food clothes etc etc.

Sounds like we have the same" important things...."
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline Minok  
#15 Posted : 15 October 2016 06:52:34(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: Oliver nagel Go to Quoted Post

Ha. Then your not doing model railroading correctly !
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline graafjp  
#16 Posted : 15 October 2016 11:22:38(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   
I will follow the same route when I finally upgraded from 6021+keyboard+memories to a CS2-60214.
The decision then was made because with the 6021 I only could use 4+1 functions, tedious decoder programming, no sound updates for loco's.
So upgrading to a CS2 was a big step forwards in functionality.

The CS2 is more than sufficient to do the things I need/want so I have no urge to upgrade to a CS3(+).

Let's see and wait what the first user's are going to say about the CS3(+).

Had Märklin integrated a Loconet Interface then it had become a 'must buy' for me, now sometimes i"m thinking about buying an Ecos.

Regards,
Jos
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by graafjp
Offline David Dewar  
#17 Posted : 18 October 2016 15:27:55(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
So far 37% are buying a new Marklin controller. If this covered all Marklin users then the company would be delighted. However on here we are enthusiasts and more likely to spend cash on anything new.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline siroljuk  
#18 Posted : 18 October 2016 16:46:37(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello Everyone!BigGrin BigGrin

I have pre ordered CS3+ last spring and Lippe informed me this week:

My CS3+ has arrived.ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
I expect that CS3+ is in Finland at the end of this week or in the beginning of next week.

YES . . .
After arrived here I start my studies and inform you if there is something new to informBlushing

Happy Training

Regards
Jukka
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline nitramretep  
#19 Posted : 18 October 2016 17:40:45(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
Jukka,
I would be very interested to hear your thoughts and comments about the CS3+. I am undecided whether or not to change from my CS2. The only factor that will make me change is if the value of my CS2 radically drops as more people change. But from the poll results it looks like many plan to stay with the CS2.
Offline siroljuk  
#20 Posted : 19 October 2016 08:05:09(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Good Morning.

I just want to know if CS3+ is better than CS2 in speed( meaning processor speed in certain works), in programming features etc.Drool Drool
I want to replace Win Digipet with CS3+ and if my needs will be full filled then I am happy to have CS3+.

My layout is quite complicated and full of possibilities which cannot be done with CS2 easily. I want to have full digital layout with automated routes but various kind of manual ways to change routes an features during my rolling stock is running. I use Flags at the moment and I want to get rid of those. Partly Flags are handed manually and partly automatically from routes. I have made some simple devices for knowing which Flag is up and which is down. I admit that it is fun to make these devices but more fun is to find new features and possibilities from new devices which are meant to handle these things.
It will take time to learn new device and it's possibilities, but I have time BigGrin BigGrin .

Anxiously waiting for CS3+

Happy Training

Regards

Jukka
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#21 Posted : 19 October 2016 10:54:46(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: siroljuk Go to Quoted Post
I just want to know if CS3+ is better than CS2 in speed( meaning processor speed in certain works)....

It is meant to be, that is one of the reasons for introducing the CS3/CS3+

.....in programming features etc.

That's the unknown bit, we won't know for sure until someone gets one and tells us all about it.

Offline sjbartels  
#22 Posted : 19 October 2016 17:10:33(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
I just want to know if CS3+ is better than CS2 in speed( meaning processor speed in certain works)....

That's the unknown bit, we won't know for sure until someone gets one and tells us all about it.

You're spot on BD... how many people are going to wait until some actual users here actually have real feedback and not just what comes out of Marklin? After all, their marketing people are not going to say "Well it's not quite...."
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline kiwiAlan  
#23 Posted : 19 October 2016 17:16:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: sjbartels Go to Quoted Post

You're spot on BD... how many people are going to wait until some actual users here actually have real feedback and not just what comes out of Marklin? After all, their marketing people are not going to say "Well it's not quite...."

My reckoning is to wait a year before making a serious decision on buying one. The stories so far seem to be that the software still has a fair way to go to get it properly ready, and after a year they will have had bug reports on all the odd things people find and have updated it to fix them.

Meanwhile, anyone got a cs2 they want to quit?

Offline jonas_sthlm  
#24 Posted : 20 October 2016 05:59:57(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
My reckoning is to wait a year before making a serious decision on buying one. The stories so far seem to be that the software still has a fair way to go to get it properly ready, and after a year they will have had bug reports on all the odd things people find and have updated it to fix them.

I fully agree, and soon we'll probably see CS4, and maybe in black colour BigGrin

One thing is certain, that Märklin is no developer of the digital environment, only check decoder history with mDecoderTool and sound files.
Collecting Swedish items since the 80s / CS3+ / MSW / 60175 Booster / 60881 S88 AC / TC10 Gold / K, C-Tracks / Favorites Class Ra / modelltag.se - Forum modelltag.se - Facebook modelltag.se - YouTube
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#25 Posted : 20 October 2016 12:09:27(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: sjbartels Go to Quoted Post
... how many people are going to wait until some actual users here actually have real feedback and not just what comes out of Marklin?

I'm waiting for clapcott Offline to get one. My reasoning is....

- He will work out all the bugs, quirks and features first

- He will present the facts rather than Marklin marketing hype

- That will give him info that he can use for a clinic presentation at our club

- He'll also have info that he can use to write an article for our club magazine

There's method in my madness.......OhMyGod
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline xxup  
#26 Posted : 20 October 2016 12:29:27(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
You have been a member since:: 15/03/2003(UTC)
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Will buy a CS3 and keep my CS2. Waiting as others above to see how the new model performs.

Hello David. I apologise for not responding earlier - I don't get to read every post..

I am doing okay these days.. She is now Miss 17 - been a long time.. Next year she can drink rum and vote.. Laugh Looking at the shocking quality of politicians these days, it could be wise to have a strong drink before you vote... LOL

Has Nev managed to get in contact with you? I spoke with him earlier this week to let him know that you have returned to the fold..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline foumaro  
#27 Posted : 20 October 2016 13:54:21(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post

Hello David. I apologise for not responding earlier - I don't get to read every post..

I am doing okay these days.. She is now Miss 17 - been a long time.. Next year she can drink rum and vote.. Laugh Looking at the shocking quality of politicians these days, it could be wise to have a strong drink before you vote... LOL

Has Nev managed to get in contact with you? I spoke with him earlier this week to let him know that you have returned to the fold..

I do not know about your country but here in Greece we have to dring a tanker before we vote.LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline kiwiAlan  
#28 Posted : 20 October 2016 15:05:40(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post

If they are that bad it would just be worth spoiling the voting paper I would have thought ...BigGrin

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Minok  
#29 Posted : 20 October 2016 22:39:32(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: jonas_sthlm Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I fully agree, and soon we'll probably see CS4, and maybe in black colour BigGrin

One thing is certain, that Märklin is no developer of the digital environment, only check decoder history with mDecoderTool and sound files.

Huh? I imagine a CS4 is a long way off ...

Can you explain what you mean by Märklin not being a digital environment developer?
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline dickinsonj  
#30 Posted : 21 October 2016 01:21:23(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

Can you explain what you mean by Märklin not being a digital environment developer?

I don't agree with that either.

IMO Märklin has been at the forefront of digital technology for many years now, even if they don't always provide all of the advanced features that some people would like. It is a nicely integrated system that works well with Märklin equipment and has shown MS-like backward compatibility. I expect the CS3/CS3+ to add interesting new functionality although Märklin is being characteristically vague about the software. No doubt that is because it is still being developed and I will wait and let other people be their beta testers. Then I will get a CS3 of my own. BigGrin

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline H0  
#31 Posted : 21 October 2016 08:20:19(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
IMO Märklin has been at the forefront of digital technology for many years now
The first generation of Märklin Digital was developed by Lenz for Märklin.
Märklin Systems was developed by ESU for Märklin.
The second generation of Märklin Digital was developed by Märklin with help from Komtron.
I've said it before: MS2 and CS2 obviously were developed by different teams that didn't talk much, leading to some compatibility issues. Is there a new team for the CS3?

When it comes to digital controllers, Märklin have a long term experience as project managers.
But with respect to software development, they have little experience.
Remember the first CS2.exe? The first version would potentially delete the complete Windows with all user data when uninstalling CS2.exe. What a nightmare.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#32 Posted : 21 October 2016 09:26:40(UTC)
Goofy

That´s way i did also not to get one CSx.
I´m pretty sure it´s worth to wait by get one CS3 when more information presents.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control