Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dominator  
#1 Posted : 02 October 2016 11:49:19(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I notice some soldering irons offered by hobby shops are in the vicinity of 200-300 pounds/dollars/Euro??? ??
Mine [ TQ-77 madE by TAIYO ELECTRIC IND.CO.LTD] is getting old and although it is a pistol/trigger variety, is it the right sort ouse for our delecate digital soldering needs. Also what is the best solder to use. My background is automotive and I still have my gear from then,.

DERECK
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline Rwill  
#2 Posted : 02 October 2016 12:29:31(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I have just bought an Antex 25watt yellow thingy just like the one I had before for less than twenty quid. and I desperately seek out in my little boxes of bits good old fashioned lead poisonous solder as I just cant get on with the safe stuff it doesn't stick as well
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline nitramretep  
#3 Posted : 02 October 2016 18:04:18(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
Look at Hakko soldering stations, best around. If you're paying 200-300 pounds might as well get a great unit: www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX8...keywords=soldering+hakko

I have mine (non digital) for over ten years and still works like a charm.
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 02 October 2016 18:41:57(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I use a cheap soldering iron for ordinary soldering of wires to motors, decoders, etc. The trick is to get one with a fine point on the bit.

Get a couple of spare bits with it when you buy it, because you might not be able to find them when you need them!

If you intend to do something more elaborate, like soldering together brass or white-metal kits, then you really need a more powerful iron, ideally with temperature control.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Webmaster  
#5 Posted : 02 October 2016 19:49:24(UTC)
Webmaster

I have one of these, very good for the money...

http://www.velleman.co.u...s/en-uk/p617_vtss30.html
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 02 October 2016 20:08:35(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
I have one of these, very good for the money...

http://www.velleman.co.u...s/en-uk/p617_vtss30.html

Yes it is!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Collector  
#7 Posted : 02 October 2016 20:45:59(UTC)
Collector

I have a Weller with temperature control. Soldered hundreds of small circuitry boards with it decades ago. Probably need to replace the tip because the last time I tried to use it, stuff just would not flow and stick properly.
DRG/DB/SBB Epoche II/III/IV
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Collector
Offline kweekalot  
#8 Posted : 02 October 2016 22:47:34(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
For mrr I use this Stannol 7.5Watt 12Volt micro soldering iron that I connect on my Marklin 280A transformer.
Paid € 9,- for it and you can control the temperature very well with the transformer.

Marco

UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline sjbartels  
#9 Posted : 02 October 2016 23:29:27(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: nitramretep Go to Quoted Post
Look at Hakko soldering stations, best around. If you're paying 200-300 pounds might as well get a great unit: www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX8...keywords=soldering+hakko

I have mine (non digital) for over ten years and still works like a charm.

Looks like Home Depot carries these as well (though that doesn't bode anything since the cheap LED one I have now came from there)

How fine are the points that comes with this one?
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline dominator  
#10 Posted : 03 October 2016 01:48:39(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Thanks for the advice everyone.eat suggestions. Dereck
Offline Minok  
#11 Posted : 03 October 2016 20:19:05(UTC)
Minok

United States   
For soldering thin wires and electronics, the soldering trigger gun is not the right type. That gun type soldering system is designed to quickly provide a lot of heat - good for bigger scale items.
Too much heat can damage circuit board traces (the conductive pathways on a circuit board) or overcook/damage components. Especially given todays much smaller surface mount technology, that's an issue.

So I'd recommend a pencil style iron, which gives you precise control over where you put the tip, and a lower temperature. Ideally a temperature controlled on, so you can set the temperature to an appropriate level for the fine-ness of the work and solder. And a sponge/tip cleaner, integral to the stand or separate.

As others have mentioned, there are several brands out there. I've got a Weller; they have a long history of quality in electrical engineering domains, but their consumer end of irons are now made under license by another provider.. though they still produce good quality irons.

For $140 you can get this: https://www.amazon.com/W...ng-Station/dp/B000ARU9PO
If you go analog (no displayed temp) you can get them cheaper.
You can get by with a simple pencil iron without holder or power supply that just plugs into the wall in the (20-30$ range) but if you do a lot of soldering, you will appreciate the ergonomics and reduced chance of burning your hand/arm/something on the table by having a dedicated soldering stand.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Purellum  
#12 Posted : 03 October 2016 21:56:32(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

IMHO the cheap soldering irons always come with a very stiff electrical wire, which is extremely annoying.

If you have a chance to look closer or touch before you buy, get one with a flexible wire.

Oh, and remember not to hold the pencil type soldering iron like a pencil. LOL

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Torstein  
#13 Posted : 03 October 2016 22:19:24(UTC)
Torstein

Norway   
Hi
I use this - Marklin 70910 - maybe not in stock anymore, but it is a super soldering station.

Torstein
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Torstein
Offline dominator  
#14 Posted : 03 October 2016 22:22:20(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Thanks Thomas, I had a feeling my s.i. was too hot for the job. I am familiar with the old school Weller pistol type irons. They were good quality in a very brittle, breakable plastic body [ which was the only disadvantage of them]. Mine lasted years, wired together.

Good humor Per.

You are right about the stiff lead. I am forever doing windmills to get the lead in the most comfortable place. They are strong though and ideal in the automotive industry because the leads were always getting snagged on something, and encouraged expressive language!@#**>##@@aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh etc.

Dereck
Offline DamonKelly  
#15 Posted : 04 October 2016 13:23:32(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Torstein Go to Quoted Post
Hi
I use this - Marklin 70910 - maybe not in stock anymore, but it is a super soldering station.

Torstein

I was going to add this, but it isn't available any more.
It is a very good iron with digital temperature control.
It is a re-badged unit, also sold under (I think) the Fleischmann name!
Konrad in Germany used to stock it under yet another name.
Cheers,
Damon
Offline dominator  
#16 Posted : 01 November 2016 06:18:11(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Well, I went on ebay Australia and bought a Harko FX-888D.

Well, I thought I did.Cursing

Its a Chuera made in China, a perfect looking copy,. I should have realized when it was only 65% THE PRICE OF THE REAL THING. tHE BASTARDS HAD HIDDEN THE NAME IN THE ADVERT ON EBAY OZ.Angry

http://www.ebay.com.au/i...eName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AITMad

I hope it lives up to its Namesakes reputation. I wrote to them telling them they were misrepresenting this as a Harko, even though they don't actually mention it in the add. It clearly says its an FX-888D though.ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown

I must be a Flapper

DereckSad Sad
Offline DamonKelly  
#17 Posted : 01 November 2016 09:55:10(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
Well, I went on ebay Australia and bought a Harko FX-888D.

Well, I thought I did.Cursing

Its a Chuera made in China, a perfect looking copy,. I should have realized when it was only 65% THE PRICE OF THE REAL THING. tHE BASTARDS HAD HIDDEN THE NAME IN THE ADVERT ON EBAY OZ.Angry

http://www.ebay.com.au/i...eName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AITMad

I hope it lives up to its Namesakes reputation. I wrote to them telling them they were misrepresenting this as a Harko, even though they don't actually mention it in the add. It clearly says its an FX-888D though.ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown

I must be a Flapper

DereckSad Sad

Dereck,
It quite possibly is a Harko.
Many low-cost models of lots of manufacturers are "badge-engineered" from Chinese products.
The Märklin soldering iron was also available under the brands Fleischmann and Konrad.
Cheers,
Damon
Offline dominator  
#18 Posted : 03 November 2016 21:51:11(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   

They say it isnt Haro. See wgat else they say. Dereck

eBay

New message to: biwecity
Thank you. I tested it last night. It seems ok. Is it as good as a Haro. That is what I would like to know.

You need to make sure the name on the item on eBay is showing properly or you might have you access removed. You at infringing eBay's rules by displaying an item that looks like a Haro, without properly displaying the manufacturers name. Are you going to change your picture. Please let me know, and please prove you have done so.
Dereck

Dear biwecity,

Thank you. I tested it last night. It seems ok. Is it as good as a Haro. That is what I would like to know.

You need to make sure the name on the item on eBay is showing properly or you might have you access removed. You at infringing eBay's rules by displaying an item that looks like a Haro, without properly displaying the manufacturers name. Are you going to change your picture. Please let me know, and please prove you have done so.
Dereck

- commando12

biwecity

Dear buyer,
Thanks for your email. It is not HARO. Our picture and title don't say it is HARO.But our item have high quality.
If you have any problems,please contact us,we will try our best to serve you.
Best regards.

To: commando12
Subject: Re: I have a question about using my item or I want to send the seller a message: commando12 sent a message about 70W 220V FX-888D Digital Soldering Station Iron With Solder Stand Repair Tool #322294569900
Sent Date: Nov-03-16 03:46:44 PDT

Dear commando12,

Dear buyer,
Thanks for your email. It is not HARO. Our picture and title don't say it is HARO.But our item have high quality.
If you have any problems,please contact us,we will try our best to serve you.
Best regards.

- biwecity
commando12:

I don't think you are understanding what I have said. The solder station looks like a HARO?. Is it the same quality as a HARO. If it is, there is no problem.
When you shoed it on ebay, you displayed it without the manufacturers name on it and I misinterpreted that as a HARO product. If you were honest and displayed it correctly, the name would have been easy to see. You hid the name so in my opinion, that is dishonest.

I havnt had time to test it yet.

Dereck

basically, Is it the same quality as a HARO?????

To: biwecity
Subject: Re: I have a question about using my item or I want to send the seller a message: commando12 sent a message about 70W 220V FX-888D Digital Soldering Station Iron With Solder Stand Repair Tool #322294569900
Sent Date: Nov-02-16 12:45:39 PDT

Dear biwecity,

I don't think you are understanding what I have said. The solder station looks like a HARO?. Is it the same quality as a HARO. If it is, there is no problem.
When you shoed it on ebay, you displayed it without the manufacturers name on it and I misinterpreted that as a HARO product. If you were honest and displayed it correctly, the name would have been easy to see. You hid the name so in my opinion, that is dishonest.

I havnt had time to test it yet.

Dereck

basically, Is it the same quality as a HARO?????

- commando12
biwecity

Dear buyer,
Thanks for your email. If you don't send the video,we don't know the problem and our colleague don't know how to solve it. Could you kindly send it to us? So that we can solve it asap.
Waiting for your reply.
Best regards,

寄件人: biwecity
收件人: commando12
主旨: 關於: 我想查詢使用物品的問題,或我想向賣家送出訊息: commando12 就 70W 220V FX-888D Digital Soldering Station Iron With Solder Stand Repair Tool,編號為322294569900 的物品寄出訊息
送出日期: Nov-02-16 01:33:10 PDT

Dear commando12,

Dear buyer,
Thanks for your email. If you don't send the video,we don't know the problem and our colleague don't know how to solve it. Could you kindly send it to us? So that we can solve it asap.
Waiting for your reply.
Best regards,

- biwecity
commando12:

You have to be honest , and display the name of your product properly, and not hide it using photoshop or whatever you do. You should be reported to ebay for doing that. I Have not tested the solder station yet as it only arrived last night.
Dereck

寄件人: commando12
收件人: biwecity
主旨: Re: I have a question about using my item or I want to send the seller a message: commando12 sent a message about 70W 220V FX-888D Digital Soldering Station Iron With Solder Stand Repair Tool #322294569900
送出日期: Nov-01-16 13:02:05 PDT

Dear biwecity,

You have to be honest , and display the name of your product properly, and not hide it using photoshop or whatever you do. You should be reported to ebay for doing that. I Have not tested the solder station yet as it only arrived last night.
Dereck

- commando12
biwecity

Dear friend,
Thanks for your email and sorry for the trouble.
Could you send us a video of the item's problem to our email xcovywen@ebhappybuy.com and add your eBay ID in it? so we can search it easily.
We will try our best to solve the issue and make you satisfied with our service.
Waiting for your news.
Best regards.

寄件人: biwecity
收件人: commando12
主旨: 關於: 我想查詢使用物品的問題,或我想向賣家送出訊息: commando12 就 70W 220V FX-888D Digital Soldering Station Iron With Solder Stand Repair Tool,編號為322294569900 的物品寄出訊息
送出日期: Nov-01-16 03:44:13 PDT

Dear commando12,

Dear friend,
Thanks for your email and sorry for the trouble.
Could you send us a video of the item's problem to our email xcovywen@ebhappybuy.com and add your eBay ID in it? so we can search it easily.
We will try our best to solve the issue and make you satisfied with our service.
Waiting for your news.
Best regards.

- biwecity
commando12:

I thought this was a Harko FX-888D, but it is not. You are contravening decent regulations by hiding the product manufacturers name in your pictures displayed on ebay. Lets hop it is at least 75% as good as a Harko or I wont be happy. It did arrive in the time span mentioned however. I thought coming from Australia as it implied, that it is what I thought I was buying. Apparently not.
China has a bad name for making bad copies of the real thing and hiding the manufacturers name leaves a bad feeling. Its my fault I didnt look more closely but YOU DELIBERATELY HID THE NAME ON THE MACHINE.

寄件人: commando12
收件人: biwecity
主旨: I have a question about using my item or I want to send the seller a message: commando12 sent a message about 70W 220V FX-888D Digital Soldering Station Iron With Solder Stand Repair Tool #322294569900
送出日期: Oct-31-16 22:01:03 PDT

Dear biwecity,

I thought this was a Harko FX-888D, but it is not. You are contravening decent regulations by hiding the product manufacturers name in your pictures displayed on ebay. Lets hop it is at least 75% as good as a Harko or I wont be happy. It did arrive in the time span mentioned however. I thought coming from Australia as it implied, that it is what I thought I was buying. Apparently not.
China has a bad name for making bad copies of the real thing and hiding the manufacturers name leaves a bad feeling. Its my fault I didnt look more closely but YOU DELIBERATELY HID THE NAME ON THE MACHINE.

- commando12

70W 220V FX-888D Digital Soldering Station Iron With Solder Stand Repair Tool

70W 220V FX-888D Digital Solderin
Order status: Paid
Paid AU $110.99 with PAYPAL on Oct 20, 2016 16:34 PDT
Estimated delivery: Mon. Oct. 31 - Mon. Nov. 21
Tracking number: 555102613192

View order details

Only purchases on eBay are covered by the eBay purchase protection programs. Asking your trading partner to complete a transaction outside of eBay is not allowed.

Email reference id: [#a00-nr2r27c1rc#]_[#63b68dfa02fe48ffa1b045002bb6d276#]

We don't check this mailbox, so please don't reply to this message. If you have a question, go to Help & Contact.

eBay sent this message to DERECK MACKAY (commando12). Learn more about account protection. eBay is committed to your privacy. Learn more about our privacy notice and user agreement.

©2016 eBay Inc., 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator