Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Martin  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2016 20:04:02(UTC)
Martin

Netherlands   
Hi All,

A few years ago i've bought a Detigon tankcar trough Ebay in the UK. At that time it seems a nice car to me, and I've picked it up for a reasonable price. It was sold with a Marklin box, but I'm not sure if that's the original box.

Now I want to know some more of the "history" of this car. Maybe there are some members at this forum who knows a little bit more about the car, Detigon (Bayer) in the UK and/of "Marklin werbewagen" for the UK-market.

I've found some online information, and looked up the "Koll". Thus far I've found that:
- Detigon is a cough syrup from Bayer (german farmacheutical), with an patent for the UK in 1958 (Chlophedianol hydrochloride).
- There are a few more Detigon tank cars sold, almost always from sellers in the UK. They look the same as my car but they are mostly in bad shape.
- The base of the tank car is similar to a Marklin 304/4500 car version 3 with square "gattungsschild", nadellagerachsen and K7 relex couplers. Production, based at the Koll guide is 1958-1961. The Koll Sondermodell/Special model guide lists nothing about this car.
- The box for it has the blue diamond design from Marklin. Blue boxes were mentioned for track at that time. But the Detigon car fits perfectly in it. Also the box has no label, and also there are no signs that it has ever been labelled.
- The "gold" color of the tank car and the packaging from the product are almost the same. Same for the coulors and the Text "DETIGON"

I've attached a few pics.........

I think this car is produced around 1959/1960, for, or in the UK, in a small quantity, maybe as a "werbewagen" for Detigon (Bayer). But that is just a guess from me. The base is certainly a Marklin product. I don't know if the painting is done by Marklin or by an third party. However, it seems to be that there are several produced, in the same way, at the same time. Specially for or in the UK.

If someone knows something more about the history/production from this car, or maybe know some other information sources (maybe who the Marklin Importer at that time was, or if there some more information about Bayer in th UK available is).

Enjoy the pictures.

Best regards,

Martin, Netherlands

Detigon 1960-6-Obv 4500 koll v3 (klein).jpg
Detigon Ad (verkleind).JPG
Detigon 1960-1-Obv 4500 koll v3 (verkleind).jpg
Detigon 1960-3-Obv 4500 kw v3.JPG
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Martin
Offline Unholz  
#2 Posted : 26 September 2016 05:47:02(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
I assume that you have already seen this short thread in a German forum?
http://alte-modellbahnen...n-quot-DETIGON-quot.html
Offline Markus Schild  
#3 Posted : 26 September 2016 09:05:19(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Martin,

I don't know much about that model but it was really made by Märklin and the box shown is the original one.
The car is counterfeit frequently. Most falsifications just use decals. At original cars like yours it can be clearly seen that the car was first sprayed golden and in the second step a white stripe was painted. The third step was the green part of the lettering. Falsifications miss that step under the green colour.

Regards

Markus
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Martin  
#4 Posted : 26 September 2016 20:36:04(UTC)
Martin

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
I assume that you have already seen this short thread in a German forum?
http://alte-modellbahnen...n-quot-DETIGON-quot.html

Hi Unholz,

Yes, I've seen this tread about the Detigon tank car. I think also that the Detigon Car is not an "home made" car, but produced as a (small?) serie in a professional way. Base is an Marklin 4500 from around 1960. However I'm not sure if the paint job is done bij Marklin itself or an third party. Most of the Detigon tank cars seems to be sold in the UK, so I guess that this is produced for a (business) customer in the UK, maybe Bayer. I hope that there are forum members in the UK who can tell something more about Marklin for the English market around 1960 and/or Bayer in the UK. Eventually leading to some more facts about this car.

Besides this, I found it a very nice car, and it goes very well with the other tank cars from this period.

Best Regards,

Martin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Martin
Offline Martin  
#5 Posted : 26 September 2016 20:50:53(UTC)
Martin

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi Martin,

I don't know much about that model but it was really made by Märklin and the box shown is the original one.
The car is counterfeit frequently. Most falsifications just use decals. At original cars like yours it can be clearly seen that the car was first sprayed golden and in the second step a white stripe was painted. The third step was the green part of the lettering. Falsifications miss that step under the green colour.

Regards

Markus

Hi Markus,

Thank you for your information. This information about the spraying process is new to me, and sound very logical. Do you know anything about the use of the blue diamond boxes for that period? Normally they were used voor Marklin track items, but the tank car fits perfectly in this box. It seems that the box was made specially for this (type) car.......

Best regards,

Martin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Martin
Offline Markus Schild  
#6 Posted : 26 September 2016 21:07:29(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Martin,

until mid 1956 Märklin sold all 304 - cars in boxes with two cars. They had no boxes for single 304 - cars in their regular production program. I only can speculate why blue instead of red was used in this special case.

Regards

Markus
Offline Vardex  
#7 Posted : 27 September 2016 10:09:29(UTC)
Vardex

Netherlands   
Hello

I have some of these cars now for about 10 years. Most come frome ebay ireland or uk.

One was in very bad shape, so I tried to clean it with water and mild soap.
Don't do this! Lettering will simply be washed of this way.

Here's a picture of the bad side of the car, clearly showing lettering is printed on in some way.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Bart

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Vardex