Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline fisher.n  
#1 Posted : 21 September 2016 02:59:46(UTC)
fisher.n

Hi - I am in need of any advice possible..

I was given a Marklin train set that was passed down throughout my family from a late uncle that was from Germany. From what i have been told, he was supposedly an avid collector. There are probably over a 1000 pieces from cars, tracks, light fixtures, figurines, bridges, the works all in their original boxes..

i would like to sell this set, but have no idea where to start in regards to where to sell it and how much it costs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,
Hayden
Offline kamstutz  
#2 Posted : 21 September 2016 04:31:58(UTC)
kamstutz

United States   
Hayden,
The answer to your questions depend really on the amount of time you can dedicate to learning what you have in the collection and your urgency to liquidate it.

Make yourself an inventory list, take some pictures to share, and then get your feet wet by familiarizing yourself with some of the recent "Sold for" prices on eBay for the larger items. If you don't have any urgency then you might start by listing an item on eBay near to the recent "Sold for" prices and hope for a buyer. If you are pressed to liquidate the items or need instant $ then list an item for less that what it is currently being sold for. Selling on eBay (or other online auction sites) will probably allow your collection pieces to be put in front of the most number of potential buyers and probably realize the highest sales prices. That being said selling a large collection off on eBay can turn into a second job with the required photography, listing, reconcilliation of sales and trips to the post office to dispatch sold items. On top of that work eBay will syphon off their commission (10% I believe) and PayPal, if you choose to accept that form of payment (suggested) will tax you another +- 2-3%. These fees cut into your realized profit.

This Marklin forum also has an "I want to sell" section where you can post images of items for sale to members of the forum. Price negotiation is usually done outside the forum via email directly with the interested potential buyer.

Good luck.

Kurt

Originally Posted by: fisher.n Go to Quoted Post
Hi - I am in need of any advice possible..

I was given a Marklin train set that was passed down throughout my family from a late uncle that was from Germany. From what i have been told, he was supposedly an avid collector. There are probably over a 1000 pieces from cars, tracks, light fixtures, figurines, bridges, the works all in their original boxes..

i would like to sell this set, but have no idea where to start in regards to where to sell it and how much it costs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,
Hayden

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kamstutz
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 21 September 2016 06:06:34(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hayden,

if you have all or most of the original boxes, you hopefully have all of the model numbers for the items in the collection. You can look those up on ebay or you can go out and buy a copy of the Koll's Price list to get an idea of how much the items might be worth.
ebay.com is good for reaching north american and to an extent AUS and NZ users. You may find that the items are selling for higher prices on ebay.de, but you have to calculate almost 20% for taxes plus other fees that buyers will have to pay to receive the goods in Germany and in many places in Europe. This may discourage some bidders from buying from America. There are also dealers in Europe who buy used lots. You can find their listings in magazines like Loki (Switzerland) or Miba (Germany) and online. If you have photos and complete lists, you can always ask if dealers are interested in bulk.
There may be a lot of items that will sell pretty cheaply and one or two that are gems that are worth a lot more than what you originally paid.
There are shops like Reynaulds and others who advertise and sell used items and consignment items. I am sure that there are others as well.

You can publish a list of items (with or without photos) and prices in the I want to Sell category in the forum. AFAIK there have not been many problematic transactions between members.

Reynaulds, Helmut's Hobbies or other reputable dealers can help you order a copy of the Koll's price guide.

Regards

Mike C
Offline nitramretep  
#4 Posted : 22 September 2016 23:58:48(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
I agree with Mike C. This site is pretty good for selling. E Bay is a pain for several reasons: They insist they use their insane shipping figures, which drive away some bidders. The payment via Paypal is sometimes delayed if you have a limited history with them. E Bay charges a fee for the sales. An example of crazy E Bay policies is that a friend of mine sold 3 nice clamps for $32.00, E Bay told him the shipping would be $13.50 even the USPS would do it for a third of that amount. The buyer was not happy.