Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#1 Posted : 17 September 2016 05:59:17(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hello, Everyone:

Today when I went to sit down to turn on the layout I noticed that I had moved out of the way the usual dining chair I normally sit at to watch the trains run.

There was, however, my TV watching armchair (Ikea type) and I sat there.

The armchair made me sit lower than I do when I sit on the dining chair.

It is at this point that I realized that the view of the train was noticeably better. In other words, sitting in a lower position gave me a better view of the layout.

Here is my question: What is the best position to sit in order to enjoy the view?

I realize that this is a matter of personal choice, but I am curious to know how many of you sit in a regular dining chair when you watch the trains run or in a lower position so as to have the trains at a closer height with respect to the eyes (as when I sat in the Ikea-like chair) or, indeed, standing up with the layout reaching around the height of your eyes, as some people do.

Thanks to anyone who might like to respond to this somewhat trivial question.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline DamonKelly  
#2 Posted : 17 September 2016 10:59:41(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
Not a trivial question at all!
I have noticed on Model Railroad Hobbyist that many of the (US) layouts are actually at eye level, even standing up.
The belief is that it looks more like "real life", than the bird's-eye view from standing above the layout.
Cheers,
Damon
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by DamonKelly
Offline hennabm  
#3 Posted : 17 September 2016 12:03:35(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi

A good number of display layouts in the UK are adult eye level. This means children need to be lifted or carry a box and disabled wheelchair bound people stand no chance.

My own is 80cm above the ground so that everyone can see.

I do agree that looking at a layout at eye level does give a better perspective.BigGrin

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline Alsterstreek  
#4 Posted : 17 September 2016 14:06:36(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
In order to avoid a wobbly substructure, the lowest track level on my layout is 75 cm (which is rather low) above ground and the highest 100 cm (which is pleasant). For admiring the lower level from a worm-eye´s view, I sit on a low stool.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline PMPeter  
#5 Posted : 17 September 2016 15:51:55(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally when I started my layout in one room I was restricted height wise by an electrical panel, a media panel and several other wall obstructions that I could not cover. Therefore, my height was limited to 40". This made the whole layout visible from a more or less bird's eye view when standing up and slightly downward when sitting in a standard chair. However, the benchwork ended up around 32" which at my age made it more and more back breaking and head smacking to work on.

So with a decision to make this room into a media room and relocate the train into another room I had the freedom to raise the layout. It now has a much more accessible benchwork height of 48" and a base level of 50". So I have lost the bird's eye view but an almost level view when sitting on an adjustable bar stool. Everyone that has seen both versions agrees that the new higher version makes it look less toy like and more realistic as a miniature world. You see more details. It is also so much easier on the back, but I have not yet mastered not smacking my head Blink .

Peter
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Jabez  
#6 Posted : 18 September 2016 00:17:03(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: DamonKelly Go to Quoted Post
Not a trivial question at all!
I have noticed on Model Railroad Hobbyist that many of the (US) layouts are actually at eye level, even standing up.
The belief is that it looks more like "real life", than the bird's-eye view from standing above the layout.

Most kids, or at least myself and my pals, when we wanted to see what was going on at a busy station or marshalling yard used to view the action from a convenient bridge, which had the added bonus of being enveloped in a cloud of smoke and steam from time to time.
So the bird's-eye view has something going for it.BigGrin

I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 18 September 2016 11:16:21(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I like viewing the layout at eye level as you get a more realistic view of the trains. For this same reason I always photograph my trains at track level.

However to reach over to the back of my layout I really need to have the layout at a maximum of waist height as I only have access from the front and one end. For a layout that is accessible all around this is not such an issue.

To get the eye level view I sit at a low chair or stool to watch the trains go by, but I stand up for an overall view when shunting a train near the back of the layout or to check that turnouts have switched properly (which they don't always do!).
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Br502362  
#8 Posted : 18 September 2016 20:16:35(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hi,

My layouts base is at 102cm height and my eye level when sitting is 135cm.

Cheers

Åke

Ps. But if you ask the children then the answer is... Laugh

Toukola.png

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline Minok  
#9 Posted : 20 September 2016 22:54:19(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The potentially good side effect if my train room developing into a two level solution (3 if you count the shadow stations), that I'll have one level 17" higher or more than the one below it. The struggle I'm working on is if I'm sitting at the controls, how high is too high for the upper level vs the lower level. I'm thinking that the above photo of the child is where I want to be with the upper level when I'm sitting... but where that puts the lower level. Mock-ups will decide.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Tex  
#10 Posted : 22 September 2016 04:54:28(UTC)
Tex

United States   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
The potentially good side effect if my train room developing into a two level solution (3 if you count the shadow stations), that I'll have one level 17" higher or more than the one below it. The struggle I'm working on is if I'm sitting at the controls, how high is too high for the upper level vs the lower level. I'm thinking that the above photo of the child is where I want to be with the upper level when I'm sitting... but where that puts the lower level. Mock-ups will decide.

Minok,

I have a three level layout and the lower level at 37 " is best viewed seated. The second level is at 52 inches and is just right for me to view standing. I am 70 inches tall. The upper level is 67 inches and for best viewing I must stand on one of my 15 " stools.

Tex
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Tex
Offline Minok  
#11 Posted : 22 September 2016 19:08:42(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: Tex Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

Minok,

I have a three level layout and the lower level at 37 " is best viewed seated. The second level is at 52 inches and is just right for me to view standing. I am 70 inches tall. The upper level is 67 inches and for best viewing I must stand on one of my 15 " stools.

Tex

Tex,

Thank you so much for this insight. That gives me something to really think about and some reference heights.

My plan is to hang the levels off of wall- mounted shelving brackets that engage in vertical support tracks like this system:
Capture.PNG

This will allow me to experiment with differing heights and adjust as necessary. Now I'm thinking... ok, a 3rd level up high... yeah, that would be great for the 'parade route' sort of run. I won't have to put much scenery there beyond the train and some background and near-track decoration. Oh the possibilities!
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline DaleSchultz  
#12 Posted : 17 October 2016 20:51:44(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
eye level looks more realistic.
The higher the level the more room you have below, but it is harder to work on.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz