Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline SteamNut  
#1 Posted : 16 September 2016 23:48:00(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Now that I am 60 years old (young) I am considering to try digital and being analog the whole time it should be interesting. I am considering the 29000 starter set but most likely I will use M track since I have so much of it. My question is that can I have all or most the features to appreciate the features of digital equipment and is it at reasonable price for what you get? I plan to get the set at AC Kids as it is offered at 120v at no additional cost. Fred
Offline baggio  
#2 Posted : 17 September 2016 00:37:22(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Steamnut:

I think you meant the 29000 starter set without any locos or wagons.

Even so, price is not bad all considered.

Do remember that you cannot use any of the analogue locos on a digital layout.

Is a Marklin digital layout expensive? Yes, but perhaps not too much more than most digital layouts.

How much fun is it?

Depends upon how much money you put into it. Sorry, but that is the truth.

However, you do not have to spend thousands of dollars to enjoy a Marklin digital set.

Hope this helps a bit.

Offline SteamNut  
#3 Posted : 17 September 2016 01:30:41(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I have some fully digital loks and some delta ones also. With the controller (MS2?) can I experience all the functions offered and if not which ones are not supported?
Offline baggio  
#4 Posted : 17 September 2016 02:27:08(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Every loco comes with a reference booklet where it tells you which functions it has based on the type of controller you have.

This information is also available online if you don't have the booklet.

For example, see the link below for an example for a little steamer:

http://www.maerklin.de/en/produ...rrpdb_pi1%5BnoPaging%5D=

The very first controller shown is a Delta controller, I think.

Offline Harryv40  
#5 Posted : 17 September 2016 08:43:58(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi Steamnut
I have the 29000 digital set.
I have ran Marklin digital, delta, Brawa and Roco digital locos on my c track without any issues. The ability to operate the loco and not the track is brilliant.
The set should allow the operation of 4 to 5 locos at the same time. The MS2 allows you to switch between up to ten locos at anyone time. So these could be sitting on your layout awaiting orders to move. It also has a database of all the Marklin digital locos including delta, just call up the model number and it allows you to storage up to 40? Locos in a folder to save you searching for them.
During operating you don't have to worry about lsolating section of track to avoid cutouts etc.
Depending on the size of your layout, it's just to wires to the track, no sectioning the track etc, the kit also contained some track, controller, power pack etc. If you don't use c track you can get adaptors to allowing to connect to your current layout.

Harry

Offline SteamNut  
#6 Posted : 17 September 2016 13:24:50(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Originally Posted by: Harryv40 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Steamnut
I have ran Marklin digital, delta, Brawa and Roco digital locos on my c track without any issues. The ability to operate the loco and not the track is brilliant.
The set should allow the operation of 4 to 5 locos at the same time. The MS2 allows you to switch between up to ten locos at anyone time. So these could be sitting on your layout awaiting orders to move. It also has a database of all the Marklin digital locos including delta, just call up the model number and it allows you to storage up to 40? Locos in a folder to save you searching for them.
During operating you don't have to worry about lsolating section of track to avoid cutouts etc.
Depending on the size of your layout, it's just to wires to the track, no sectioning the track etc, the kit also contained some track, controller, power pack etc. If you don't use c track you can get adaptors to allowing to connect to your current layout.

Harry

This is the info I needed, thanks. Would you know the part number to connect to M track? I was considering to redo my layout to make a double main line to run more trains at once, perhaps I do not have to but it would be still a major undertaking to rewire. When I first joined this form I did post my layout under the name the Reeperbahn.
Offline Harryv40  
#7 Posted : 17 September 2016 20:42:32(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hello again SteamNut
I sorry I don't know the part number, if you contact Marklin Trains in the U S (Brenda@marklin.com) and speak to Rick or Curtis they all give you all the info you need.
I have found the e mail address for them it's. digital@marklin.com

Good Luck

Harry
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 17 September 2016 21:23:01(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Harryv40 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Steamnut

Harry

This is the info I needed, thanks. Would you know the part number to connect to M track? I was considering to redo my layout to make a double main line to run more trains at once, perhaps I do not have to but it would be still a major undertaking to rewire. When I first joined this form I did post my layout under the name the Reeperbahn.

The converter track to go between C track and M track is in the full Marklin catalogue. It is in the C track section. I don't recall the catalogue number off hand sorry, but it is easily identified.

The only hassle i have with these is they are only available as a full length straight track - I cant remember if it is the 188mm or 172mm length (I don't recall it being the 180mm of M track straights) so you may need the other appropriate piece of C track straight (172 or 188) to make it the equivalent of two M track full length straights to get the track geometry correct.
Offline Rwill  
#9 Posted : 17 September 2016 23:40:59(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
The M to C converter track is part number 24951 - 180mm length per the following link: http://www.maerklin.de/e...pdb_pi1%5Bsearchres%5D=1
Offline SteamNut  
#10 Posted : 18 September 2016 00:50:46(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I will plunge into the water and buy the 29000 set and explore the digital world. I hope the water is not too deep or cold BigGrin I do not think I do not need the adapter as I will not use C track on the layout(I will keep the C track oval as a test track) and it seems you need only to connect the red (power) and brown (ground) to the track and you need only special connectors for the transformer and controller. My next question and there will be many in the future is that I plan to use my old power supply 16v to power my turnouts. This would mean the M track turnouts power, ground blue wires and yellow power wire, would be at the old power supply and the track would be at the new 20-18v power supply. Will this present a problem already I can see a problem with my lighted coaches which use 16v bulbs?
Offline Harryv40  
#11 Posted : 18 September 2016 07:25:56(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi
It should not be a problem for the turnouts because it's the motor that is powered and not the track by your old power supply. I would suggest however that a staged approach to the change to digital would be a good idea.
In terms of coach lightning if you contact Rick or Curtis they should advise you and of course the forum has many members who have already moved to digital and they will be glad to help.

Regards

Harry
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 18 September 2016 08:15:43(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post
[...] and the track would be at the new 20-18v power supply. Will this present a problem already I can see a problem with my lighted coaches which use 16v bulbs?
With an MS2 you will have a track voltage of around 16 V.
The Märklin standard light bulbs are the 19 V type. I wouldn't expect problems.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0