Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Minok  
#1 Posted : 14 September 2016 21:30:54(UTC)
Minok

United States   
So far presented to the DB.

Lower top speed, only 250km/h, but more and more comfortable seats and better air conditioning.
Should be in normal operations by end of 2017.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

http://www.tagesschau.de...windigkeitszuege102.html
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Dimi194  
#2 Posted : 15 September 2016 02:26:27(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Marklin need to get on making some of these; they haven't done the ICE 3 407 either >:(
Author of the gritty sci-fi novel 'Stories of Earth: WWIII' (featuring an awesome train chase)
Avid YouTuber (XtremeTrainz and TrainzXtreme) and train person!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dimi194
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 15 September 2016 02:47:44(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Or the Danish Diesel ICE.. Blushing
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline NS1200  
#4 Posted : 15 September 2016 04:26:32(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Nice!

A short video of the ICE 4:

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline Roland  
#5 Posted : 15 September 2016 06:08:58(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
I'm a big fan of the ICE1-ICE3 but I can't say I like that front or rear end Bored. Maybe it'll take some time to grow on me.
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
Offline dominator  
#6 Posted : 15 September 2016 06:22:27(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I like the look. It [ the sharp lines ] reminds me of some of the latest Japanese cars that are available in NZ at the moment.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline NS1200  
#7 Posted : 15 September 2016 07:43:03(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Also note the roof elevation as from halfway the frontcar onwards.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline steventrain  
#8 Posted : 15 September 2016 15:32:14(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I hope ICE4 on Marklin 2017 new items list.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Minok  
#9 Posted : 06 October 2016 21:50:57(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: Roland Go to Quoted Post
I'm a big fan of the ICE1-ICE3 but I can't say I like that front or rear end Bored. Maybe it'll take some time to grow on me.

Its an odd thing indeed. I imagine they are using modern fluid dynamics and simulations and scale testing in wind tunnels to shape the nose for not only reduced drag but stability and channeling airflow for other uses (cooling, who knows). I bet there is a lot of engineering behind the shape of the face and how it looks is probably low on the list of things they focus on. ;)

Agreed though... sort of like the first time one saw a stealth fighter jet.. you think "that is better?!"
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 06 October 2016 22:24:21(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

Its an odd thing indeed. I imagine they are using modern fluid dynamics and simulations and scale testing in wind tunnels to shape the nose for not only reduced drag but stability and channeling airflow for other uses (cooling, who knows). I bet there is a lot of engineering behind the shape of the face and how it looks is probably low on the list of things they focus on. ;)

Agreed though... sort of like the first time one saw a stealth fighter jet.. you think "that is better?!"

Looking at it front on reminds me of the British APT.
Offline Roland  
#11 Posted : 07 October 2016 05:04:09(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

Absolutely - I would hope it's entirely designed based on functionality :)
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
Offline TEEWolf  
#12 Posted : 08 October 2016 00:06:05(UTC)
TEEWolf

Absolutely - I would hope it's entirely designed based on functionality :)

Exactly, this was the major message from the DB introducing the new ICE 4.

It is designed for the user and not for the viewer.BigGrin

Anyway, if you sit inside, you don't see it. If you stand outside, he is passing as quick as that you see it only for seconds not minutes. Where is there a design problem?Confused

Even the reduced high speed of 250 km/h is due to the German circumstances with a large and dense population. The trains stops at an average of approximately 100 km. So an excellent acceleration to achieve a high speed is much more important than the high speed itself. (just for remembrance: in Germany live 230 people on one square kilometre (sqkm) - in GB 276, USA 33, NZ 17,5, Canada 3,6, Australia 3 people on 1 sqkm.).

For example and very impressive to myself is on every occasion the track section Goettingen – Hannover of the ICE line Wuerzburg - Hamburg. A distance of 99 km and the ICE needs exactly 30 minutes from platform to platform. Even including speed-up and slow-down. For speed-up and slow-down for a stop an ICE shall need 6 minutes more instead driving through non-stop. I read this once in a DB paper many years ago, using the so called sprinter from Munich to Frankfurt/Main.

Another reason is, that at the moment are only 3 lines licensed for a speed of 300 km/h. The longest line is between Köln (Cologne) and Frankfurt with about 180 km. (The others are Erfurt – Leipzig, 120 km and Nuernberg – Ingolstadt, 170 km).Cool

Although it changes almost daily, but at the moment the high speed track section Erfurt – Leipzig is only served with ICEs at a speed of 230 km/h, although 300 km/h are possible. This line is at the moment the only one with the ETCS 2 (ETCS = European Train Control System) equipment. Over 120 km you see absolutely no signals! But when they opened the line December 13th, 2015 (not a year ago!) the DB had only 3 trains licensed for using ETCS 2.Blink

Perhaps this is my wish for 2017 to Maerklin: bring this ETCS 2 system also in H0! Should be possible with the new CS 3+! Flapper

At least there is the most important point not driving more than 250 km/h: economically reasons. OhMyGod

I guess, any engineer here will approve that with rising speed the consumption of energy is rising as well, progressively. Wink The same is with the maintenance costs. I think, we should not believe what a press is writing without thinking about it.Huh

Sometimes a little less is much more.ThumpUp
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 08 October 2016 04:52:18(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
....... Australia 3 people on 1 sqkm.

Yep, I always knew Aussie was full of hot air! OhMyGod

Thanks for your post Wolf. Hopefully Marklin will make an ICE4 before too long, better start saving now!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Minok  
#14 Posted : 24 October 2016 21:53:05(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Limited ICE4 trains are now making runs up and down Germany - most of which will be with passengers over the next year, preparing for the full-service introduction at the end of 2017.

Here, catching an ICE4 stopping at Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe just recently (October 7th 2016) passing through.

---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Minok