Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 12 September 2016 17:35:16(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

I recently bought the 31100 double locomotive set with the swedish Da (3019...) and Swiss crocodile (3015...)

The SJ locomotive is a gem, but I have my concerns about the crodocile and wanted some input if anyone else has the set or expertise. In brief, the locomotive works well with three exceptions:

1: its is really loud. Some lubrication did help a lot, but still noisy. (more so than a 3015, but at least tolerable and in acceptable range now)
2: The motor gets pretty warm. Again not to a super concerning level, but enough for it to stand out
3: This is my big concern- after 5-10 minutes of running the decoder itself (21pin) gets REALLY hot. As in "almost burns your finger" hot. It heats up the whole front case/nose shell of the locomotive.

Now number 3 being mentioned, the locomotive does run rather well and continues to, but I find once hot the occasional input from the MS2 is missed, or I have to stop/start power from the MS to jolt the decoder awake again.

I think its a bad decoder, but any other ideas? The dealer is asking for details that need to be replicated on the erradic behavior once worn in order to send in for repair since he feels they always run hot, which of course is hard to reliably replicate. (although the heat itself happens 100% of the time)

Thoughts?
SBB Era 2-5
Offline steventrain  
#2 Posted : 12 September 2016 21:14:43(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I have 31100 and run for five minutes and did not find any issue.

Maybe your 31100 fault so should send back to Dealer or direct to M with warranty card.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 12 September 2016 21:44:09(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
If the motor is very loud and runs hot, then it is probably experiencing more friction and thus drawing more current than it should. This will in turn cause the decoder to get hot.

I had a similar problem once with my 3039 Br110. The gears were somehow creating a lot of friction, and howling like a banshee. I tried oiling the gears , the motor, the axles, but nothing worked. Then because I had over-oiled the motor it started smoking and getting very hot. Eventually the decoder started cutting out, probably due to thermal overload.

In the end I resorted to stripping the whole motor down. I found that the gears were binding in a certain position so I took them out, filed the edges down a bit, cleaned and oiled them, and put them back in. When I assembled them again there was much less binding, and when the whole motor bogie was again in one piece it ran nicely. There is a slight rattle which is probably due to wear in the gears, but at least it runs cool.

I don't know how this would relate to a 3015 type crocodile, but those old style motors are heavily geared and maybe they are not quite lined up properly?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 13 September 2016 05:48:51(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If the model is still covered by warranty, I would send it back before making any modifications. If you bought it from a US dealer and it came through Marklin USA/Walthers, get in touch with your dealer or contact one of the staff at Marklin USA/Walthers. If you bought it from a US dealer and it came from Europe or you bought it directly from Europe, send an email to service(at)maerklin.de describing the problem and then send it back to the Service Department in Goeppingen according to their instructions. Make sure that the item is well packaged and insured, so that you are protected. Remember, either way, that repairs can take up to 6 months or more.

In addition to possible gear problems, it can also occur that the springs are putting too much or not enough pressure on the brushes, which can cause them to heat up. It is also possible that there is a short circuit in the wiring, which is causing wiring to heat up and eventually burn out. Each of these could cause the decoder to heat up and potentially to burn out as well, especially if voltage is somehow being fed back into the output terminals.

Regards

Mike C
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 13 September 2016 19:11:10(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks all. I think I need to send it back under warranty, despite the potential wait time involved with repair and the dealer making it fairly clear it would be a hassle for him.

To be continued...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline nitramretep  
#6 Posted : 13 September 2016 19:41:35(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
There is a NY "Marklin Digital Service/Dealer" I have used, he's very good and fair about pricing and repair costs:

Robert Frowenfeld
914-232-5546
(Katonah NY)

www.RFJtrains.com

I am not advertising him, but sending it to Germany is going to be a long wait.
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 14 September 2016 09:51:48(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
its always a problem with type of issues, its under warranty but sending it back would cost again a lot of money (guarantee not worth it when you live outside of Europe. it could be a soldering issue and you may open up the loco and see if there is any visible part which just doesn't look right.
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#8 Posted : 14 September 2016 16:46:29(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
its always a problem with type of issues, its under warranty but sending it back would cost again a lot of money (guarantee not worth it when you live outside of Europe. it could be a soldering issue and you may open up the loco and see if there is any visible part which just doesn't look right.

I bought it in the US (the dealer's customer support has been fair I'm not listing where here) so shipping shouldn't be an issue. The problem is Marklin no longer handles repair/warranty work here and I feel as if I won't see this locomotive back for a LONG time. I'm tempted to just buy a generic 21 pin decoder and pop it in just to see if that is for sure the issue, but its under warranty and I don't need anyone saying its my fault for touching it.

I'll report back...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 14 September 2016 21:33:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Thanks all. I think I need to send it back under warranty, despite the potential wait time involved with repair and the dealer making it fairly clear it would be a hassle for him.

To be continued...

Tough titty as they say, he is the dealer and has to handle the warranty issues.

It must be minimal trouble for him to sent it back with your note explaining the problem (make sure you do include a note including that it has to run for a period before it gets hot). The dealer doesn't have to verify your complaint, just pass it up the chain for repair.