Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline bugsmasher  
#1 Posted : 08 September 2016 16:05:27(UTC)
bugsmasher

United States   
Decoder manufacturers seem to program a minimal amount of acceleration/deceleration delay into their sound decoders. For example, ESU seems to set a default value of 32 within a range of 0-255.

Why do manufacturers do this? For easy shunting, it would seem that there should be no delay (although this might not be quite authentic/realistic, especially for diesels).
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 08 September 2016 16:51:54(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: bugsmasher Go to Quoted Post
Decoder manufacturers seem to program a minimal amount of acceleration/deceleration delay into their sound decoders. For example, ESU seems to set a default value of 32 within a range of 0-255.

Why do manufacturers do this? For easy shunting, it would seem that there should be no delay (although this might not be quite authentic/realistic, especially for diesels).

You can program the delay to zero if you wish, but why not just click on the tortoise icon when you want to shunt? This is what I do.

Manufacturers program in a reasonable delay for realism, otherwise why bother to have the feature in the decoder? I often increase the delay to a higher value than that set at the factory as I like the gradual acceleration which is often difficult to reproduce manually. One must be careful not to overdo the braking delay, as it can then be quite tricky to not overshoot the platforms when arriving at a station! BigGrin
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Minok  
#3 Posted : 09 September 2016 01:40:37(UTC)
Minok

United States   

Manufacturers program in a reasonable delay for realism, otherwise why bother to have the feature in the decoder? I often increase the delay to a higher value than that set at the factory as I like the gradual acceleration which is often difficult to reproduce manually. One must be careful not to overdo the braking delay, as it can then be quite tricky to not overshoot the platforms when arriving at a station! BigGrin

Yes, indeed, such as when one first operates a small motorized boat.. your brain needs to get used to the need to account for physics/ momentum as you don't initially realized that unlike a car, there are no brakes to step on when your in water. Train operators don't start their braking when they loco is near the stopping point, its a process that begins well before the train even enters the platform area.

Ideally the 'crawl / ABV mode off' mode would disable the delays AND simultaneously remap the throttle so that its not linear anymore and that it takes a wider range of throttle movement at the low end to achieve the same speed, so one can more precisely control the low end speeds.

Edited by user 13 September 2016 01:05:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 10 September 2016 20:04:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

You can turn off the delay if you wish, using one of the functions, or turn it off permanently by changing a CV.

Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 11 September 2016 08:19:43(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
..... You can program the delay to zero if you wish, but why not just click on the tortoise icon when you want to shunt? This is what I do.

I have a lot of fun with this. I deliberately programme in long deceleration delays, so it takes some fore-thought to bring the passenger train to a correct stand.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
RayFGLI
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 11 September 2016 11:23:20(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
..... You can program the delay to zero if you wish, but why not just click on the tortoise icon when you want to shunt? This is what I do.

I have a lot of fun with this. I deliberately programme in long deceleration delays, so it takes some fore-thought to bring the passenger train to a correct stand.

Kimball

Yes that's true! Unfortunately I rarely get it exactly right, so I'm backing off the amount of delay that I set in my more recent purchases or conversions. I still like a long delay, but maybe not the maximum available! BigGrin
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 14 September 2016 17:14:27(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
ESU decoders have various settings you can choose, 1.) the distance and this is not reliable for some reason, had them all programmed to the right stopping point, closed down the ECoS and 3 days later activated it again and to my surprise most of the locos either overshot the stop point or didn't reach it all. so what happened there I've got no idea whether or not the locos haven't been running in either way you don't want to experience different stopping points every time to shut down your central unit. the second option is 2.) distance, although it doesn't give you the distance in meters you program it to the nearest value and this has been much more reliable, the 3rd option is ABC asymmetrical DCC signal, so fart I haven't figured out how this works.

the earlier 60901 decoders didn't have the breaking distance I needed. so the loco had to be in top speed to arrive at the stopping point.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline bugsmasher  
#8 Posted : 20 September 2016 21:01:00(UTC)
bugsmasher

United States   

You can program the delay to zero if you wish, but why not just click on the tortoise icon when you want to shunt? This is what I do.

Personally, I like some delay on my own track. But it can be a problem on a club layout with many trains and different operators.