Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline bugsmasher  
#1 Posted : 08 September 2016 15:51:41(UTC)
bugsmasher

United States   
It's my understanding that even an mfx decoder needs an address for the purpose of control. Also that when an mfx capable command station senses an mfx decoder, it simply assigns an address to cv1 -- if nothing is already stored in cv1. But if something is already stored (e.g. 3) in cv1 as a default, the command station (e.g. my MS2 60653) seems to register the decoder/locomotive using that address.

ESU's instruction manual for the LokSound V4.0 family of decoders (section 9.4, part no. 51972, May 2012, firmware 4.6) states that "the addresses can neither be programmed manually by the user nor can they be read out."

But to avoid conflict on my club layout with decoders/locomotives of other users also programmed to default address 3, using my MS2 I reset the address of my decoder/locomotive to 68. After resetting, my MS2 reads the address as 68.

I saved the cofiguration to a loco card and plan to read that information into the club CS2. Will the club CS2 register/recognize my decoder/locomotive using address 68 -- or some other address?

It seems that the ESU non-programming-reading statement applies only for the purpose of original registration. Perhaps the instructions should better simply say that an address is not "needed" for the purpose of initial registration. Is my understanding correct?
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 08 September 2016 15:57:15(UTC)
H0

The Märklin decoders can store several addresses at the same time: the DCC address, the MM address, the mfx address.

Each mfx controller will give the loco a unique mfx address. The CS2 can show you that address - they are assigned consecutively starting at 1 or so. The MS2 cannot show the mfx address of a loco.

The controller will remember the loco and will re-assign the same address when the later returns later after being controlled by another station.

The address stored in CV 1 is not relevant for mfx operation and will be ignored.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline bugsmasher  
#3 Posted : 08 September 2016 16:25:14(UTC)
bugsmasher

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The Märklin decoders can store several addresses at the same time: the DCC address, the MM address, the mfx address.

Each mfx controller will give the loco a unique mfx address. The CS2 can show you that address - they are assigned consecutively starting at 1 or so. The MS2 cannot show the mfx address of a loco.

The controller will remember the loco and will re-assign the same address when the later returns later after being controlled by another station.

The address stored in CV 1 is not relevant for mfx operation and will be ignored.

So, do I assume correctly that the club CS2 will assign a new consecutive numerical address when I plug in the card (even if it can read the irrelevant address of 68 I assigned to CV1 using my MS2)? Or should I register the mfx (actually ESU M4) decoder/locomotive into the club CS2 directly from the track?

Your explanation suggests that the mfx numerical addresses in the club CS2 and my MS2 are different. But hopefully both the CS2 and MS2 remember the mfx (consecutive but unique to controller) addresses correctly when the decoder/locomotive is switched between club and personal systems/controllers.

Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 08 September 2016 16:43:59(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: bugsmasher Go to Quoted Post

So, do I assume correctly that the club CS2 will assign a new consecutive numerical address when I plug in the card (even if it can read the irrelevant address of 68 I assigned to CV1 using my MS2)? Or should I register the mfx (actually ESU M4) decoder/locomotive into the club CS2 directly from the track?

Your explanation suggests that the mfx numerical addresses in the club CS2 and my MS2 are different. But hopefully both the CS2 and MS2 remember the mfx (consecutive but unique to controller) addresses correctly when the decoder/locomotive is switched between club and personal systems/controllers.

It's mfx. You can ignore any addresses you have programmed in for MM or DCC. When you place your locomotive on the track it will register as an mfx loco and you don't need to worry about any addresses.

You don't need the loco card.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 09 September 2016 00:25:02(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
A decoder (operating in the Marklin/Trix ecosphere) may have any of 4 addressess and some decoders may be provisioned to support one or more of these 4 for use with the different types on controller.

1) MM/FX = MarklinMotorola (1-80) FX (1-255) - implementation limited by decoder version and controller
2) DCC = (1-10239) - implementation limited by decoder version and controller
3) SX = Selectrix V1 or V2
4) mFX = called a mfxUID = based on the decoders serialnumber - e.g. .mfxuid=0x7dfc6cfc

so while it is possible for users to remember 2 digit (MM) and 4 digits (DCC) in a decimal system, it gets a bit demanding to remember 8 hexidecimal characters.

From its first deliver mFX totally insulated the User from the need from knowing the mfxUID by inserting a translating layer that presented itself as a object with a human readable/definable name and a distinctive icon/picture

It was not until about v3.5.6 of the CS2 firmware, that (GUI) Users even became aware of a separate numbering range (starting at 1) as a shortcut.
It was at this firmware update where we saw the (re)introduction of a numeric keypad to emulate the 6021 operation that people were still experiencing withdrawl symptons from.

Comment: However software developers had been aware of this as a locomotive was addressed by it LOCAL UID . e.g. .uid=0x4006
In the CS2 archetecture the mFX address space is referenced from 0x4000 to 0x7FFF (MM =0x0000-0x03FF , SX2=0x8000-0xBFFF, DCC = 0xC000-0xFFFF)
from the CS2 work file ...
lokomotive
.name=218 245-9 DB
.uid=0x4006
.adresse=0x6
.typ=mfx
.sid=0x6
.mfxuid=0x7dfc6cfc
.icon=BR 218 247 5 DB

At this same firmware change we noted that the "address" represented in the settings screen of a mFX decoder changed its meaning.
mfx Local setup
- Whereas before it used to reflect the MM address of the decoder, (this was just as a nice convenience as users did not have to drill down into the CVs to find it, before taking they loco to a friends 6021 type layout.)
- After the firmware change this address became the local User/Gui/CS2 address as allocated by the CS2 (And no , you cannot set it yourself)
I am reluctant to call this simply a "mfx address", without adding the "local user" or "local CS2" prefix, as there is also a mfxUID and a LocalUID address associated with the same decode.

Looking at the keypad display we note , at the top, the mode may be selected MM, DCC, mfx. (MM equates to fx)
mfx address console
When choosing MFX you may make use of the LocalMFX address for quick reference - reinforcing the comment that this Local address may be different on another CS2.

From the image it can be seen that when local mFX address 6 is selected , the CS2 presents the name and functions of the loco as if you had called it up in the traditional manner.

Peter
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline bugsmasher  
#6 Posted : 10 September 2016 04:22:10(UTC)
bugsmasher

United States   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post

4) mFX = called a mfxUID = based on the decoders serialnumber - e.g. .mfxuid=0x7dfc6cfc

...a locomotive was addressed by it LOCAL UID . e.g. .uid=0x4006...

I am reluctant to call this simply a "mfx address", without adding the "local user" or "local CS2" prefix, as there is also a mfxUID and a LocalUID address ...

What I think I hear everyone saying is that each controller assigns and uses a human-intelligible numeric LocalUID as an "alias" for the unintelligible binary mfxUID which is constant, unique and dependent upon the serial number of the decoder. But the numeric LocalUID associated with the binary mfxUID may differ from one controller to another. As long as a given controller associates its LocalUID to only one mfxUID there is no control problem or confusion.

It seems that the CS2 or MS must save the mfxUID, not the LocalUID, to a loco card. Otherwise, there would be confusion (different controllers associating a given LocalUID with different mfxUIDs). I still prefer cards to manual registration. Cards are faster and it is good to always have an independent copy of the configuration associated with a spcific and unique mfxUID.

Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 10 September 2016 08:01:51(UTC)
H0

What I think I hear everyone saying is that each controller assigns and uses a human-intelligible numeric LocalUID as an "alias" for the unintelligible binary mfxUID which is constant, unique and dependent upon the serial number of the decoder. But the numeric LocalUID associated with the binary mfxUID may differ from one controller to another.
That's about it.
The mfxUID is a serial number (32 bits).
mfx uses different data packets for some address ranges in the track signal and low numbers require fewer bits. Therefore it makes sense to assign the actual mfx addresses consecutively starting add 1. This is also somewhat "human readable" now that the CS2 shows the address to the user and allows the user to type it in for loco selection.

It's similar to DHCP: the computer has a MAC address (theoretically this is globally unique) and DHCP will give the computer an IP address which is unique for the domain of the DHCP server.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline bugsmasher  
#8 Posted : 10 September 2016 16:51:15(UTC)
bugsmasher

United States   
What I think I hear everyone saying is that each controller assigns and uses a human-intelligible numeric LocalUID as an "alias" for the unintelligible binary mfxUID which is constant, unique and dependent upon the serial number of the decoder. But the numeric LocalUID associated with the binary mfxUID may differ from one controller to another.

The mfxUID is a serial number (32 bits).

It's similar to DHCP: the computer has a MAC address (theoretically this is globally unique) and DHCP will give the computer an IP address which is unique for the domain of the DHCP server.

And I bet that when there are multiple controllers in a network (as Marklin would have us do with multiple CS3+), all the "slaves" use the same array of mfxUID/LocalUID pairs as the "master." There must be a master/slave arrangement or there would be controller chaos.

My thanks to all who have responded to this thread! You have all been extremely helpful.
Offline clapcott  
#9 Posted : 11 September 2016 05:24:04(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
... But the numeric LocalUID associated with the binary mfxUID may differ from one controller to another.

These addresses WILL (not may) be different, not least because the mfxUID is 8 characters and the local .uid is 4 (and for mfx limited to the 0x4000-0x7FFF address space- for the CS2)
Please also consider that even on the same CS2 the local address may vary - if you do housekeeping and delete unused references only to rediscover decoders/locos in a different order.

However even the local .uid is an intermediate translation step. In my previous post the 0x4006 .uid is represented alongside .addresse/.sid of 6 and a GUI of 6
The GUI value is the decimal conversion of the .sid

And before you say "its just the same but subtract 4000" it is not, as the .uid/.address/.sid are is hexadecimal and the GUI is decimal
This is best considered when we have .ids up to 9 and add one more. in this case the .uid will move to 0x400a ("a" being a "10" in base 16 hexadecimal)

In a prior query there was a reference to Loco Cards.
The Loco Card stores the .addresse value - which is derived from the value that was the .sid on a CS2 , where the loco was discovered, at the time of writing the card.

If you take that card to another CS2 then the CS2 will TRY, in the first instance, to map the .addresse to its own roster (.sid).
However if that .sid is already in use, it will pick the next available one.

Unfortunately , when subsequently reviewing the loco settings to show the "Address" , all you see is the value that the Card requested (.address), not the one that is actually in use (.sid). While these may be the same , on a club CS2 (for example) it probably will not be the same.
I think that showing the .sid (as well) would be more far more meaningful.

So in the following example ... (excerpt from the http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/config/lokomotive.cs2 when browsing to the CS2)

lokomotive
.name=UP 4000 Big Boy
.uid=0x400b
.vorname=
.adresse=0x9
.typ=mfx
.sid=0xb
.mfxuid=0x73ff7a43
.icon=UP 4000 Big Boy

You may use the (6021) keyboard and type in "11" (the decimal value of "b") and this immediately gives you
UserPostedImage
along with the correct spreed, functions, direction information of the loco

BUT - 3 seconds later it changes to ...
UserPostedImage
which in my example is the .addresse from the Loco Card.

So, while the speed,functions and directions are retained and usable after this hiccup , seeing the number magically change is a bit scary work out what is happening.
As to WHY it behaves this way, is beyond me. Not least because I may have another "9" so the only way to be sure is to read the name (small print , hard to see etc...)

In summary, the (6021) numeric key pad can be very efficient in selecting a locomotive if you know its .SID.
If you go though an exercise and delete your locos and rediscover them in order you may be able to get your common locomotives with a single digit address. (1-9
although my personal experience is that the lowest number is more likely to be 5),

An extension of this is to somehow get hold of a backup file from a CS2 with 999 locos discovered and massage your own meaningful set of cards.
e.g. BR218 with a .addresse/.sid of "218"

Peter
Offline clapcott  
#10 Posted : 11 September 2016 05:34:06(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   

And I bet that when there are multiple controllers in a network (as Marklin would have us do with multiple CS3+), all the "slaves" use the same array of mfxUID/LocalUID pairs as the "master." There must be a master/slave arrangement or there would be controller chaos.

You loose (well at least for the CS2 environment, - It may have been fixed for the CS3).

If you have a CS2/MS2 with a mfx loco setup for a particular local address (e.g. 6)
Then plug a Loco Card for a totally different locomotive (mxfUID) , but happens to have the same .addresse defined, into the MS2.
The the MS2 will appear to be controlling the wrong loco.

Peter
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 11 September 2016 07:55:34(UTC)
H0

In a Master/Slave(s) environment, all controllers use the loco list from the master and the track signal is generated by the master, thus there is no confusion.

For "Teppichbahning" events (large floor layouts) people often use independent controllers. They only use MM and DCC and disable mfx.
mfx locos stop when they arrive at a new controller and start to register. MM and DCC locos simply travel on and allow the controller to communicate using the manually set address.
I don't know whether RailCom+ works in such environments (negotiation a new address without stopping).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline clapcott  
#12 Posted : 11 September 2016 10:28:56(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
In a Master/Slave(s) environment, all controllers use the loco list from the master and the track signal is generated by the master, thus there is no confusion.

True, there is a "Loco List" as designated from the Master, however it is not exclusive and a MS2/SlaveCS2 can quite happily define its own Loco which the Master shows no GUI awareness off and that doesn't get added to the Masters LocoList - and thus may cause plenty of confusion.
Peter
Offline Goofy  
#13 Posted : 11 September 2016 10:41:21(UTC)
Goofy

I use DCC protocol to control my locomotives.
I feel better to have full control of the locomotives decoder and decides to change the adresses if i want.
In this case i also welcome to adjust CV 2 which stand for the start voltage.
When i did used MS2,i couldn´t adjust adress CV 2 to change start voltage with an Märklin locomotive.
You see...with the mfx decoder you cannot do so much what DCC can do.
Sometimes i´m angry at Märklin by not present DCC protocol too in theirs 3 rail locomotives.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 11 September 2016 11:11:26(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
I use DCC protocol to control my locomotives.
I feel better to have full control of the locomotives decoder and decides to change the adresses if i want.
In this case i also welcome to adjust CV 2 which stand for the start voltage.
When i did used MS2,i couldn´t adjust adress CV 2 to change start voltage with an Märklin locomotive.
You see...with the mfx decoder you cannot do so much what DCC can do.
Sometimes i´m angry at Märklin by not present DCC protocol too in theirs 3 rail locomotives.

That's odd!

I have two mfx locos on the layout at the moment and they both give me the option on the MS2 to adjust Vmin as well as Vmax. I've never actually needed to adjust Vmin on an mfx loco as they always start smoothly from step one. Are you saying this adjustment doesn't actually work?

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.