Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jabez  
#1 Posted : 03 September 2016 03:37:47(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Hi,
After a break of over 30 years the Märklin HO bug has bitten me again (you never get completely rid of it I guess).
I've been lurking here for a while trying to pick up the modern basics and have decided to start anew with C track digital.
A few impressions from the Märklin website:

They don't seem to have as many steam locos in their current catalog as they used to have.
There are very few Telex equipped locos, only one steamer I think.
The cost of digitally controlled turnouts is pretty eye-watering for even a modest layout. Rounding up the pennies I make it about €80 for each unit. That's €21 for a simple turnout, 19 for the electric mechanism, 33 for the decoder, 8.5 for the lantern. I guess you could get by for about €40 a pop by leaving out the decoder and controlling them pro-tem by hard-wiring to a conventional switch box.

But after watching and hearing videos of digital operations here and elsewhere, they make their own argument.
I'm reading the Märklin manual Model Railroading Digitally Controlled which I downloaded from here. Thanks. I note it is a 1988 publication but I guess the basic content is still valid although the hardware and software will have evolved since then.

The basic material that I intend to buy to start with C track digital and a couple of locos is:
29721 digital starter set
36243 loco

If anyone has comments on that choice let me know.
I still have a load of old 70s M track and rolling stock that may be useful as I build up my C track inventory.
Question: Can the old Märklin 16/24V control and 'lighting' transformers still be used to power non-digitally controlled turnouts and other accessories via their accessory output terminals?
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline foumaro  
#2 Posted : 03 September 2016 05:23:03(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Welcome back to the greatest hobby.ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline CanadianKid  
#3 Posted : 03 September 2016 06:53:30(UTC)
CanadianKid

Canada   
Hello,
And welcome. Yes, the digital turnouts can be expensive. I would shop around locally for some cheap prices; I know it helped me as I got turnouts used with lanterns and switching motors in them for 20 CAD each. However, I don't know if I can help much with your transformer question.
Best Regards,
Matthew
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by CanadianKid
Offline ixldoc  
#4 Posted : 03 September 2016 07:36:23(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Hi Jabez and welcome back.
I did the same thing quite a few years ago when I was very busy at work, but soon came back to it.
I use a Marklin transformer to control my points with manual switches just as you asked if it is possible, but I have a digital C track layout. I use Marklin point motors but switch them with AC. As long as the two systems never meet, all is well. You could even use the variable voltage outlet for supply to give you some control over the pulse to the point motor.
Cheers,
Howard.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 03 September 2016 08:42:15(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Welcome to the forum.
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
That's €21 for a simple turnout, 19 for the electric mechanism, 33 for the decoder, 8.5 for the lantern.
For about €30 you can get a decoder for four turnouts (k83 and compatible third-party products)

They don't seem to have as many steam locos in their current catalog as they used to have.
The catalogue has about 500 pages and you have to pay €10 to get it. There should be many steamers in it - but it could be that you find Telex couplers primarily with diesel locos these days.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Jabez  
#6 Posted : 03 September 2016 23:23:47(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Welcome to the forum.
That's €21 for a simple turnout, 19 for the electric mechanism, 33 for the decoder, 8.5 for the lantern.
For about €30 you can get a decoder for four turnouts (k83 and compatible third-party products)

The catalogue has about 500 pages and you have to pay €10 to get it. There should be many steamers in it - but it could be that you find Telex couplers primarily with diesel locos these days.

Thanks, I thought their Website would list all the current products. If that ain't the case I'll buy a catalog. I'm surprised that the site product listings has dozens and dozens of products that are not made any longer. Fair enough for historical reasons and for the 2nd hand trade, but it makes it harder to find what you can buy right now. The filter 'only available products' doesn't seem to help. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. The k83 decoder you mention is a case in point, the search function for k83 yields many pages of listings, but they all say that the product is no longer made. Cheers.
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 03 September 2016 23:37:33(UTC)
H0

The product database lists all items since year 2000. The catalogue also contains items that are no longer available.

The filter "only available products" includes products that are not yet available, but can be ordered from your trusted dealer for delivery in the future.

You can get "k83" from Viessmann, Conrad, and others. Märklin now call it "m83" - I'd go for compatible third-party products.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Jabez  
#8 Posted : 04 September 2016 03:16:58(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The product database lists all items since year 2000. The catalogue also contains items that are no longer available.

The filter "only available products" includes products that are not yet available, but can be ordered from your trusted dealer for delivery in the future.

You can get "k83" from Viessmann, Conrad, and others. Märklin now call it "m83" - I'd go for compatible third-party products.

Thanxalot. I'm at the bottom of a steep learning curve All info is good info.BigGrin
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 04 September 2016 08:05:15(UTC)
H0

I'm at the bottom of a steep learning curve
I faced a learning curve in the '70s.
I had to learn again when I came back to the hobby in 2002.
Much more to learn when you (re-)enter the hobby today.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline steventrain  
#10 Posted : 04 September 2016 09:56:45(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Jabez,

Welcome to the forum.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain