Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 03 September 2016 00:11:37(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
About 20 years ago FD, bought me a book entitled, "Venice Simplon Orient-Express - The world's most celebrated train". (ISBN 0-297-83583-1). It is written by the Shirley Sherwood who is married to James B. Sherwood the man who "reinvented" the Orient-Express after it was sold off in 1977.

I was wondering about the link between this era of coaches and the sets that Marklin produce.

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 03 September 2016 02:51:29(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Adrian,

The coaches in the Marklin set announced this week, were coaches made in the period 1895-1925.
They had wood sides, on a steel (or iron) frame.
After 1925 most coaches had steel cladding in place of wood.
Certainly, by the mid-30s, the wood sided coaches were either re-clad or never ran, or only rarely.
The dining cars did survive longer.

The VSOE from the 1970s was run mostly with coaching stock built post-war.
But even some of the all-steel cars from 1929, lasted into that period.
Many were built by UK firms for the Orient Express. That included Birmingham Carriage and Wagon Company, and a firm in Leeds (cannot remember the name).

I believe the train museum at Mulhouse near Basle, has a good collection of cars for various periods of the OE.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline danmarklinman  
#3 Posted : 03 September 2016 15:07:09(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
About 20 years ago FD, bought me a book entitled, "Venice Simplon Orient-Express - The world's most celebrated train". (ISBN 0-297-83583-1). It is written by the Shirley Sherwood who is married to James B. Sherwood the man who "reinvented" the Orient-Express after it was sold off in 1977.

I was wondering about the link between this era of coaches and the sets that Marklin produce.

Hi, you might be interested to know that the armistice wagon lit, was one of the wooden bodied wagon lit. It was however destroyed at the end of WW2. A replacement was found and put in its place. Again a wooden clad wagon lit.
Here's a couple of links.
https://www.google.co.uk...#imgrc=pOsLx4dTvlyXIM%3A
http://www.royalmunsterfusiliers.org/l5railwg.htm

Hope this helps in your interest.
Personally I think Marklin will produce the 1925+ version at a later date. It's just to much of a European railway icon. I would like just one of the pre 1925 coaches, but would love a full take of the +1925. Enjoy
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 04 September 2016 22:14:39(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post

I have a book on the modern VSOE somewhere, and I think it might be the same one. Certainly a nice book.

There was also a TV doco about the refurbishment of the coaches in preparation for the modern VSOE resuming service. A number of the craftsmen who worked on the refurbishment were the same guys who had fitted the coaches out originally. They even still had portions of the original veneer that they were then able to use in the refurbishment.

One of the things that stick in my mind from that book is a shot of the train making its way through Austria pulled by double headed Austrian crocodile locos in the bright orange colour scheme.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan