Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jte  
#1 Posted : 04 December 2005 22:58:34(UTC)
jte

This question arised in the "Alzheimer" topic, but since this would be off topic I start a new one.

I have been running my braking/stop-section with just a single diode to do the negative voltage. I like this because there is no need for transition sections. I use the extra catenary contacts of 7039 for the stop section.
UserPostedImage
This works fine with all Märklin locos with 60902-decoder or newer, even with the new BR 482 with 610761-decoder(36851). The only loco that do not brake in addition to old delta locos is my V65 made by Roco.
But this puzzles me, there must be a reason why this is not commonly used. Has anyone else tried this?. I know Perz did some tests with different results (locos did not brake?)
I use the good old 6021.

Juha
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#2 Posted : 04 December 2005 23:45:41(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

I don't remember my tests in detail, but I'm pretty sure I came to the same conclusions as perz. When I did my tests, I used 37xx locos, and some DCC decoders including ESU Loksound 2 and Lenz Le130.
/Lars
Offline perz  
#3 Posted : 04 December 2005 23:57:22(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Well, I have already mentioned my results in the "Alzheimer" topic: My locos (60901 and mfx) do not stop with this simple solution. If it had worked it would have been very convenient, I agree.
Offline hmsfix  
#4 Posted : 05 December 2005 00:04:55(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi Juha,

I have just your circuit installed on my analogic layout. The diode cuts off one half wave of the AC voltage and makes my analogic loks slow down a litte before they stop at a 7039/7040 signal.

Of course I tried the circuit with my digital loks, too, with the 6021 connected to the tracks instead of the usual ac transformer. However, those loks with 6090x contolers (37610, 37973) apparently do not slow down in the break section, nor do they accept any digital signals (i.e. they go with full speed into the safety stop section). Didn't try the mfx yet, but so far everything is as perz has written in another topic.

I suppose the 6090x decoders detect a digital signals by polarity changes, and they go into the break mode at non-interupted negative voltage. At negative voltage with interupts they simply ignore all commands and do what they have been told last, as long as there is power available.

Hans Martin
Offline efel  
#5 Posted : 05 December 2005 00:33:52(UTC)
efel

France   
Hi,
I don't have any bracking effect either. With or without resistor in parallel with the diode.
Offline Tony  
#6 Posted : 05 December 2005 08:06:20(UTC)
Tony

South Africa   
I originally used this idea for my shadow station to reduce the speed - as mentioned, it does not slow the train down to a stop just reduces the speed ( Which is what I wanted)
I have since found the mfx locos seem to go into a pulsating motion (Slow-fast-Slow-fast confused) with the diode and I have since removed it.

Another reason why I don't need this mfx stuff!!![:(!][:(!]

Regards Tony
Offline jte  
#7 Posted : 06 December 2005 12:48:51(UTC)
jte

Hi all,
Now I'm even more confused. Why does it work only with my locos?
I made another separate test track for testing and tried the 6021 with all Motorola formats, I&II (0100), only I (0000) and only II (1110). There was no difference, all decoder types respond to braking adjustment at the unfiltered negative voltage. I would understand if there was some random misbehaviour, but no, everything works 100%. I tried 6090x, the new 610761, one unknown in Roco's V65 and Tams LD-W-2.

This is just why I love Märklin: they just work every time.

I think I have to take home an oscilloscope from office and check the signal.

Juha

Offline Lars Westerlind  
#8 Posted : 06 December 2005 13:51:36(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jte
<br />Hi all,
Now I'm even more confused. Why does it work only with my locos?
I made another separate test track for testing and tried the 6021 with all Motorola formats, I&II (0100), only I (0000) and only II (1110). There was no difference, all decoder types respond to braking adjustment at the unfiltered negative voltage. I would understand if there was some random misbehaviour, but no, everything works 100%. I tried 6090x, the new 610761, one unknown in Roco's V65 and Tams LD-W-2.

This is just why I love Märklin: they just work every time.

I think I have to take home an oscilloscope from office and check the signal.

Juha

That's the way it is with the finnish...wink
/Lars
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#9 Posted : 06 December 2005 13:53:06(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

BTW,
I take it for granted that you have removed radio interference capacitators (if present) from connection track.
/Lars
Offline jte  
#10 Posted : 06 December 2005 16:08:13(UTC)
jte

Yes, I made sure that there are no other components connected to track power. I tried with/without other locos on track, both C- and K-track, with 8 different locos. Just works every time. Smile

Juha
Offline McLae  
#11 Posted : 06 December 2005 18:18:19(UTC)
McLae

Maybe you have the diode symbol backwards?[:I] Others would be getting '+' current not '-'.[:p]
Only stopping on '-' as I understand it.
The McLae
IB digital, DB, OBB, SBB epII-V
Providing a home for little lost 'Gators
Offline jte  
#12 Posted : 06 December 2005 19:21:50(UTC)
jte

It's negative signal for sure. In fact I tried also with positive direction, it didn't work. I also suspected that they only slow down to lower speed, but no, they decelerate until stop depending of the adjustment.
Well, maybe I'm just lucky with these locos biggrin. I will try to test more locos when possible.

Juha
Offline perz  
#13 Posted : 06 December 2005 21:27:20(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
As I mentioned in an other topic, I have tested:

- positive or negative stop voltage
- true or inverted digital signal
- stop voltage with or without capacitor

I tried all 8 combinations. Polarity made very little difference.
With the capacitor both locos (a 60901 and an mfx) stopped with all 4 combinations of polarity.
Without capacitor they did not stop with any combinations of polarity.
Offline jte  
#14 Posted : 10 December 2005 13:45:56(UTC)
jte

Hi all again,

I think I have solved the mystery. It is the diode that i'm using. When I first built this system,the only power diode I had home was a SB540GI, which is a Schottky Barrier diode (40V, 5A). I tought it would had no effect to the function.
Now I tested with a normal signal diode MR510, and everything stopped to function (except the locos which now continue to run uncontrolled as others had experienced).

So studied the signal with oscilloscope:
UserPostedImage
Here is first the normal signal for reference.

UserPostedImage
Here is the signal with MR510 diode. A normal signal diode turned out to be too slow, it leaves a positive "tail" to the rasing edge. This makes the decoder confused. The capacitor is necessary to filter out this tail.

UserPostedImage
This is the signal with SB540GI diode. There is no positive "tail" anymore. The rising edge is softened but the decoder works with this.

UserPostedImage
Here is still both normal and "Schottky"-signals. One can see that there is no difference in timing, so this system is safe without transition section.

Conclusion: The braking section should work with only one Schottky diode and without transition sections. Unfortunately the SB540GI Schottky is the only type I have in hands now, so I'm not able to check with other Schottky types. I will do that later on.

Juha
Offline hmsfix  
#15 Posted : 10 December 2005 14:10:10(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi Juha,

very very intersting results ! I am using a 1 N 5404 diode (the 3 amp version of the 1 N 4004) in the break circuit. It's probable that there are these positive spikes, too, as the 1 N 54xx are not the fastest diodes. So my digital decoders simply refuse communication in the break section as they don't like these spikes.

The crucial point seems to be that one somehow must "bridge" the few milliseconds where the voltage is positive and the diode is closed. Do you think a small capacitor with few nano- or micro-farads, but without polarization, would also do ?

Hans Martin
Offline perz  
#16 Posted : 10 December 2005 16:42:36(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Interesting indeed. It explains the results very clearly.

Maybe it is possible to filter out the positive spikes with a capacitor, but I think it is better to use a Shottky diode as Juha did.
Offline jte  
#17 Posted : 12 December 2005 18:51:20(UTC)
jte

I agree with Perz. I tried with some capacitors 1nF - 100nF, didn't work.
I tested some more Shottky diodes: BYV19 and SB140. They both worked OK. No problems with any decoders.
I also tested with a high speed diode 1N4148, which also worked OK. But I don't recommend it because the max. current is only 0,5A, which might be too low for bigger locos.

So you can forget the transition sections!

Juha

Offline Lars Westerlind  
#18 Posted : 12 December 2005 19:20:56(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Good news, but amazing that noone has discovered this before. This brake signal has exist for at around 15 years I would guess.

BTW,
can somebody explain what IS a Schottky Barrier diode? Is it expensive?
/Lars
Offline perz  
#19 Posted : 12 December 2005 19:32:46(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
A Shottky barrier diode is created if aluminium is applied on N-doped silicon. This type of diode is faster and has a lower forward voltage drop than a normal P-N silicon diode. It is generally 5-10 times more expensive than a normal diode, but 10 times almost nothing is still almost nothingSmile. You will get one for less than 50 cent.
Offline Purellum  
#20 Posted : 12 December 2005 19:34:48(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Hello Juha. This is so great!! Especially for running 1_gauge this is great information.

I know that this is a wild shot, but what happens if you let "a little" of the positive voltage go tru as well, by mounting a "quick zener" or a serie of reversed shottky's in parallel with the one you already have? Will it be a slow-down-sektion?

Hoping to hear more. [:p][:p][:p]

Per.
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline jte  
#21 Posted : 12 December 2005 20:55:35(UTC)
jte

Lars, I know this sounds too simple. Why would Märklin have made more complicated braking module, they must be aware about this.
My tests are relatively limited, so I'm still waiting somebody to give opposite experience.

Purellum, I couldn't quite follow your proposal, maybe because I don't know how this works with 2R?

But meanwhile I continue to enjoy my simple braking sections, which just work with my locos.

Juha
Offline Purellum  
#22 Posted : 12 December 2005 21:06:06(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Juha, this should have nothing to do with 2R or 3R. I am sorry that I'm too lazy to draw a scheme, so I'll try again: 15 to 20 serie-coupled diodes, parallel with existing diode, but reversed polarity. Got it?

Per.

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline jte  
#23 Posted : 12 December 2005 21:49:21(UTC)
jte

Per,
The reversed diode series will become conductive when there is a positive voltage which is greater than the sum of the forward voltage drops of the diodes. At the same moment the game would be over, as there would be a positive signal.

This is my quick thinking, somebody correct me if this is not the case.

Juha
Offline Purellum  
#24 Posted : 12 December 2005 22:56:00(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Juha, you got it right. My question was, what happpens in reality when you have the full negative halfwave, and only, lets say 2 volts of the positive halfwave. And as I said, a wild shot, but still to be tested.

Thanks.

Per.

UserPostedImage
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#25 Posted : 12 December 2005 22:59:14(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

I don't think it's a good idea. The DC is like a code; when the decoder detects it, it begins to slow down to a stop. If it doesn't, it tries to keep the speed. If there isn't enough power, it will slow down yes, but different locos will probably slow down to different speeds. Try the LDT-module instead.
/Lars
Offline Purellum  
#26 Posted : 12 December 2005 23:43:31(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Lars, you are probably right. The idea came up, because I saw on Märklin FAQ and others, to use a resistor to slow down, so my thinking was to try powerreduction on one halfwave only. But, still I find it worth testing, I just don't have the necesary things right now.

Thanks.

Per.

UserPostedImage
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#27 Posted : 13 December 2005 00:11:21(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

I have made some tests with Delta decoders, and power resistor (Viessmann). Nonregulated decoders are supposedly better; still the power consumtion difference was very big.
/Lars
Offline efel  
#28 Posted : 15 December 2005 00:03:43(UTC)
efel

France   
Good job, Juha!
I made some test with 3x 1N4148 in parallel, for I don't have, just now, Shottky diodes.
1- with 60902: braking whatever the diode direction.
2- with starter set Feuerwher loco: braking with the "negative" voltage, reduced speed with "positive" voltage.
Fred
Offline Purellum  
#29 Posted : 20 December 2005 03:24:22(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
To: Forum-administrator: Could we please have this topic moved to a safe place, so that it will never be forgotten? This is, IMHO, the best solution ever made for cheap digitally braking.

Thank you. [^]confusedbiggrin

Per.

UserPostedImage
Offline steamfriend  
#30 Posted : 22 December 2005 00:06:27(UTC)
steamfriend

Hi all,

wow, this is exciting news ! I just discoverd this discussion and a overwhelmed with joy ! biggrin

A pity, I just got hold on 6 Viessmann braking modules.... Anyone willing to buy those ?[:o)].

Thanks again ! So nice to be in this forum Cool

Cheers,

Bob
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#31 Posted : 22 December 2005 17:46:32(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Purellum
<br />To: Forum-administrator: Could we please have this topic moved to a safe place, so that it will never be forgotten? This is, IMHO, the best solution ever made for cheap digitally braking.

Thank you. [^]confusedbiggrin

Per.

I must admit - at least the simplest, the cheapest and good enough. Still the relay approach gives you two things:
- direction sensitivity
- ability to use other brake signals (DCC).
/Lars
Offline efel  
#32 Posted : 10 January 2006 17:09:50(UTC)
efel

France   
Hi,
I had the opportunity to make some more trials using shotky diode connected in such a way that a negative voltage appears on the track.
1-With 150uF capacitor: All works , of course.
2-Without capacitor:
No problem with Marklin locos: 37476, 37632, 29570, 37962, 39195
Problem with 29750: sometimes chattering, sometimes OK (don't know why)
Problem with uhl 76200 and LP V2.0: The locos don't slow down!

So, in my case, I can't, unfortunately, use that cheap solution!

Regards,
Fred
Offline jte  
#33 Posted : 10 January 2006 20:39:36(UTC)
jte

Thanks for the feedback Fred.

It seems that it won't work with all locos. I knew there was a reason for the capacitor, but couldn't figure it out. It would be interesting to know, which really triggers the braking function in the decoders software.

Well, so far everything works for me, but will be prepared for some changes in future. Good to know.

Juha
Offline hmsfix  
#34 Posted : 11 January 2006 00:14:43(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi Fred,

What type of Schottky diode did you take ? There are differences between various diodes. Possibly this is the origin of your different decoder behavior. The relevant parameter is presumably the "Reverse switching time" of the diode that one can get from the data sheets. It is between 12 and 300 nano seconds for common Schottky diodes (And ranges up to 5 micro seconds for good old silicon rectifiers [:I]) I do not know whether it is really the solution of the problem, of course.

Hans Martin
Offline efel  
#35 Posted : 11 January 2006 22:31:22(UTC)
efel

France   
Hi,
I used 11DQ09, a 1A/90V shotky that has a low capacitance (in its category of shotky rectifier). In fact, the signal on the oscilloscope is quite clean. Furthermore, the same result was reached with signal diodes 1N4148 (3 in parallel for security, for they are 200mA diodes).
Anyway, thanks for your post!
Fred
Offline Purellum  
#36 Posted : 11 January 2006 22:53:11(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Keep testing and posting, thank you. [:p][:p][:p]

Per.

UserPostedImage
Offline hmsfix  
#37 Posted : 04 March 2006 22:58:32(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi friends of Do-It-Yourself brake modules,

I have made some further experiments with juha's brake module. We know that it works well with loks having an fx decoder (6090x), but not with new mfx- and ESU-decoders which seem to ignore the breaking section.

Adding an RC-bridge between the anode of the Schottky diode and ground potential, however, seems to cure the problem, and at least the mfx-decoder in my GG-1 accepts the brake request now, The GG-1 which definitely disliked the original brake circuit now works fine and comes to a smooth stop, just as my 6090x equipped loks. There is some reason to believe that it may work with other mfx loks too, see my oscilloscope plots below.

UserPostedImage

The RC bridge introduced in the circuit works as follows: assume a lok is passing the brake section, so the diode will supply it with current when the digital voltage from the contol station is negative, and it cuts current of when voltage is positive. In this period the voltage across the tracks drops down almost to zero for few milliseconds.

UserPostedImage

6090x decoders can live with these "blackouts" and switch to break modus. Not so mfx decoders, they ignore the break request as the negative voltage is not continuous, and keep the lok running. This is where the RC-bridge takes effect: the capacitor (which has been charged in the negative voltage periods) now supplies the lok with negative voltaged which is reduced but clearly different from 0. Thus there is no "blackout", and mfx decoders recognize the brake request. Capacitors around 1 #956;F are sufficient, also the 1.5 k resistor lets enough current pass through.

UserPostedImage

There is no short circuit when the ski contact enters the section due to the resistor. Further, it does not matter whether a unpolar capacitor or a polar one is used, the right capacitor plate is always negative. However, it is important to use a Schottky diode and not a normal silicium one. The RC-bridge is not capable to absorb the short positive spike as shown on juha's oscilloscope images. Also loks with delta decoder will still not work with this modified module.

It would be interesting to see whether other mfx locos work with this module, too.

Hans Martin
Offline jte  
#38 Posted : 06 March 2006 19:33:29(UTC)
jte

Great news Hans Martin!

This RC-bridge is still easy and cheap to realize. And best of all, it is still possible to run without transition sections.

BTW, this works also in analog mode.

Juha

Offline Timaximus  
#39 Posted : 06 March 2006 19:49:51(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
SCIENCE!
I like that.

Timaximus

Märklin | HO | C+K Track | Digital | I+II+III+IV+V | Power and control by Uhlenbrock | Win-Digipet
Offline hmsfix  
#40 Posted : 07 March 2006 14:34:04(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi,

There is still another variant of the break circuit which may be interesting if you have signals from the hobby sortiment, or analogic 7039/40/41 signals. These signals have no change-over contacts, but rather two simple on-off contacts. These two contacts are intended for switching the center rail current in the stop section and in the corresponding catenary section. As the break module circuit above implies that the relay should have at least one change-over contact it appears that you can't employ these signals with the break module.

However, it is nevertheless possible to set up a correctly working brake section even without change-over contact, i.e. using the center rail and catenary on-off contacts of a 7039 signal: simply connect the anode of the Schottky diode (and consequently the RC bridge, too) directly to the brake section center rail. Everything else as above.

The only effect is that there is some additional current through the RC-bridge when the signal is in the "proceed" position. But since this is only few milliamperes it should not have any sensible effect.

So, effectively, if you want to equip a old style signal with a digital brake section you may not only save a large capacitor, but also the additional relay!

Hans Martin
Offline hmsfix  
#41 Posted : 12 March 2006 21:33:40(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi friends,

Today I did some soldering: breakmodule and final circuit, everything in operation now on my digital carpet layout. Instead of the BYV 21 I have used two parallel BAT 48 for the time being, but BYV 21 is already ordered. Costs for the electronic components is around 2 EUR.

Any Schottky diode with high enough maximum current (1 A) and reverse switching time not longer than 100 ns should work.

Hans Martin

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline pit11  
#42 Posted : 28 March 2006 22:53:34(UTC)
pit11

Hi hmsfix and jte,

you did a great work.
I build the module by myself also, and it works fine.
I use a SB 550 Schottky.
Both decoders mfx and Märklin 60760 break super.

Now my question.
When the locos are stand in the breaking section there is a quiet little noise in the locos. Did you have this noise also ??
Is it possible, that the decoders could be damaged ?
Also my mfx locos have a little blinking light ?

I hope you can help me.

But again, thanks for your absolutly great work.

Peter
Offline steventrain  
#43 Posted : 28 March 2006 22:55:28(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hello and welcome to the forum Peter.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline hmsfix  
#44 Posted : 29 March 2006 01:36:01(UTC)
hmsfix

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by pit11
<br />
When the locos are stand in the breaking section there is a quiet little noise in the locos. Did you have this noise also ??
Is it possible, that the decoders could be damaged ?
Also my mfx locos have a little blinking light ?

Wellcome to the forum, Peter.

I have checked this, and I can confirm your observation: there is a very low noise coming from my GG-1 when it stops within the brake section, but also when it is idling with normal digital voltage, even if digital sound is off. Can't distinguish whether it comes from the speaker, the motor, or the decoder. Sounds as if there is a small mosquito under the shell biggrin.

Don't think that the above brake circuit might cause any damage, as the voltages in the brake section are fully within the specifications and not really different from that what the Märklin brake module produces.

Didn't observe any blinking light with my mfx lok, but eventually some slight flickering with my 6090* loks at lowest speed, just before they stop in the brake section.

Hans Martin

Offline Rudi Bekkers  
#45 Posted : 02 April 2006 13:00:49(UTC)
Rudi Bekkers

Hi all,

These are interesting findings! For the usual diode-capacitor combination I was already using fast diodes (SB160) for quite a while, assuming that that would be better given the fast protocol, but I did not know the system could do without the capacitor (I never use transition tracks, however, as digital braking is always activated by a train driving into a brake section making transition tracks redundant).

But I hope you all let me bend this findings to another sub question: how does coach lighting behave when using only a fast diode?

As a consequence of the duty cycle of the signal (which differs for the various controllers, according to some members of this forum), light bulbs might get fed infrequently and might flicker.

Taking this into account, I am thinking to modify some lighted coach sets, given the following conditions:
- The full set of cars has, for various reasons, only one pickup-shoe;
- Cars are connected by two-contact conductive couplers;
- I want to ‘ground’ several cars as I suspect that will increase reliability;
- I want to use both positive and negative phase of the signal, thereby preventing problems of an uneven duty cycle in the digital signal

Then I suggest wiring as follows:

UserPostedImage

As the schematics show, the couplers do not carry the regular ground signal and the pickup shoe signal, but an rectified DC signal instead. All cars except the pickup shoe car have 'half' rectifier bridges. Each car has its own capacitor, so the total capacity grows with the number of lights connected.

So I would appreciate input and comments to the following questions:
- how do lighted coaches of various kinds behave under the new, diode-only braking circuit?
- What do you think of my suggestion for ‘enhanced car lighting’?

Offline efel  
#46 Posted : 02 April 2006 16:17:13(UTC)
efel

France   
Hi Rudi,
I'm afraid the braking circuit described in this topic is not compatible with the use of coach lighting (except if the coach lights are fed with the loco shoe and conductive loco couplings) for the following reason:
when the loco is in the braking section and the coach shoe reaches that section, there is a short circuit between the normal section and braking section, done by the coach shoe . The loco will be then fed by the normal signal, and will accelerate for a while.
Now, looking at your schematic, some remarks came to my mind:
-I think that with your full bridge rectifier schematic, shorts circuits will occur in the negative phase of the signal, when the shoe is in the normal (not braking) section
-In my own case, to improve the "reliability" of the conductive couplings, I connect the 2 connections of the Viessmann coupling in parallel, to feed the first pole of the light, and grounds the other pole with the standard wheel connector.
Please consider this answer as a quick reply after reading: I have not electrically tested it.
Fred
Offline hmsfix  
#47 Posted : 02 April 2006 16:26:25(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi Rudi,

Very nice circuit, I think the capacitors will actually buffer the voltage when the period of positive voltage at the center rail is suppressed in the brake section. After having tested several types of diodes it seems indeed that using fast switching diodes is strongly recommended in digital circuits. Presently I am also planing a similar circuit, however using a one-contact conducting coupler between cars.

One difficulty of your circuit might be the large current that occurs when you switch on the voltage for the first time, as the capacitors must be charged. Perhaps some current limiting resistor could help here, included in the branch coming from the ski contact.

BTW, you actually may dispose of the mass contacts 2nd and 3rd car. The mass contact in the first car will take all the current.

Hans Martin
Offline hmsfix  
#48 Posted : 02 April 2006 16:33:40(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi efel, I have red your posting right after I have sent mine. And you are right in an important point: without transition section, the ski contacts of the cars will cause a short "jump" of the lok, for obvious reasons. It is therefore a good solution to feed the car lighting from the lok.

And, yes, the diodes in the bridge rectifier are not all in the correct polarity direction.

Hans Martin
Offline Rudi Bekkers  
#49 Posted : 02 April 2006 18:04:30(UTC)
Rudi Bekkers

Hi all,

First of all, yes, you justly noticed that I made a mistake in drawing the bridge rectifier. ('Don’t do this at home! ;-) I was so busy drawing the symbols in the right place that I did not notice the mistake in their polarity. Of course, I suggest a regular full bridge rectifier.

Then, answering some of your comments:
- Indeed, when the train enters in a brake section, the pickup shoe in the coach might accelerate the loco for a short moment. However, I always activate the brake section with a switch rail that is a little further down the road. . So no problem there, at least for me. I am kind of hesitant to modify all my loco's and having to install Viessmann couplers at many more cars.

- About the current that the capacitors might draw at power-on. I think this is not really a problem. I already have some 6 or 8 braking sections, each having a diode and the regular 470 uF capacitor, and this never was a problem at startup. Maybe it will when we add these capacitors in coaches, but I think the system will manage.

- Finally, about the idea of having mass contacts in every car. I observed that feeding the power to coaches is not always perfect, and this seems to be more because of the mass contacts than the pickup shoe I suspect. I even have this issue with brand new cards, nice new connecting springs and carefully kept free of dust (and sometimes even added a bit of conductive stray in the axis, which I put using an ear stick. But at no avail, car sets having only one mass contact seem to have worse contacts than sets with mass contacts in more than one car . That's why...

Efel, I understand that you must use mass contacts AND Viessmann couplers in the same truck. Does that work well? When I was fitting some cars, this raised my doubt ( I was afraid the wires of the couplers could not move freely enough in turns because of the mass spring). So right now, my experimental sets looks like this:
- 1st car: pickup shoe AND mass connector in first truck, coupler in second truck
- 2nd car ... n-1 car couplers in both trucks
- n-th car: coupler in first truck, (additional) mass contact in mast truck

(hey, with n I do not want to suggest I have that many cars, but I try to have four coaches per train).

If you guys can convince me that having couplers and mass contacts in the same trucks works reliable, I might follow the example of connecting both poles of the Viessmann couplers. In that case I would put a full rectifier - correctly wired - in each coach.

Thanks for your interesting replies,

Rudi
Offline Martin T  
#50 Posted : 13 April 2006 12:13:41(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Hi all! I'm struggling to get this to work. Actually, at this point in time it doesn't work at all for me. 90x-type decoder locos starts to break, but fail to stop completely. Mfx locos doesn't react at all. I have checked my circuits carefully (they are not that complicated really..) and tested different types of switch and schottky diodes, but the result stay more, or less the same.

I'm using a Mobile Station. What have been used during the tests above? Can this have effect on the result?

I have quite long feedwires, since I got the entire layout powered. I also only feed the centerrail "red lead" every 2 meters. "Brown lead" is only fed in one point. The brakecircuit has a direct "brownlead feed". Will check tonight if that might effect the result.

Solved (by 95%): It's important to maintain perfect power supply in the area around the brake section. If you get a voltage drop of a few volts as a result of long tracks, this type of capasitorless brakecircuit (almost...) may not be able to produce sufficient negative DC-voltage.

Still my BR86 converted to digital maintaining the disk collector motor replacing the coil with Hamo magnet, will still not brake.

Also tried with a converted 3366, in which I kept old type lamps (bright & current consuming). It doesn't brake if the lamps are on. Same with the steamloco from the Mega-start kit with a 7226 smoke generator installed. No brake when the smoke is enabled. Current consumption seems to be a factor here.

Tried to increase capacitor from 1uF to 47uF and decrease resistor to 1k. Resistor change gave positive effect, but the slower (and larger) capacitor gave negative effect. So it seems that the capacitor main mission in this circuit is to suppress the spike that anyway goes through the Schottky diode. Secondly keep the negative energy up enough to maintain negative polarity through the positive halfwave periode.

???? Can anyone here calculate the amount of energy (or the RC-network) reqiured to maintain a sufficient negative voltage with 0,5A load during the 150us? I think you can go much lower than the 1,5kOhm serieresistor without causing "short", because the 1,5KOhm let pass a maximum of 32mA, 48V peak-peak. ????

Question: How fast are your oscilloscopes? 5MHz, 100MHz, 1GHz? It would be of great interest to see only the spike part using a shorter samplerate, like 5us, 1us, or even 200ns to see how far it really gets up and what slewrate it has. Obviously 4ns switch diode is not fast enough to cut the spike completely.
Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html