Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 28 June 2016 08:49:00(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
What do you think ?, its magic, its genial its just out of this world, a German friend of mine has produced this with a 3D printer but as you can see it is still under construction

the roof, side wall stairway, stairway, support structure and the stairway ornaments all have been printed and taken hours to do so, suppose it depends what type of printer you use. behind the stairway walls you have glass windows or panels, tiles on the floor., apparently it will stretch over 7 tracks, I will bring you updates when they'll arrive but the patination of the roof is just amazing

John

Bernd master Piece 1.jpg

Bernd master Piece.jpg

Edited by moderator 02 July 2016 02:59:07(UTC)  | Reason: Topic titles should always start with a capital!

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 26 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 29 June 2016 01:32:23(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Looks amazing.

3D printers certainly open up a whole new world for scratch building structures.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline DB Fan  
#3 Posted : 29 June 2016 01:42:49(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
Amazing detail. ThumpUp looks like I have to save some moneyRollEyes and try to explain why we need a 3d printer.BigGrin
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 29 June 2016 16:42:56(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: DB Fan Go to Quoted Post
Amazing detail. ThumpUp looks like I have to save some moneyRollEyes and try to explain why we need a 3d printer.BigGrin

Look I'm no expert in this sort of 3D printing, its a friend of mine (Germany) and he has actually copied it from an N-gauge Faller model.

how it works I wouldn't have a clue, I'm sorry but I can't help you with this.

regards.,

John

Offline DB Fan  
#5 Posted : 29 June 2016 20:19:15(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: DB Fan Go to Quoted Post

Look I'm no expert in this sort of 3D printing, its a friend of mine (Germany) and he has actually copied it from an N-gauge Faller model.

how it works I wouldn't have a clue, I'm sorry but I can't help you with this.

regards.,

John

I ment I would have to come up with a very good explanation Confused to my wife why i would need a 3d printer at home. BigGrin
Robert
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DB Fan
Offline analogmike  
#6 Posted : 02 July 2016 02:16:35(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Question; Does it print in the colors pictured?
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 02 July 2016 02:57:28(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post

Probably not!

The reels of plastic used in a 3D printer (usually either PLA or ABS) come in different colours, whatever you print comes out in the same colour as the plastic that went in.
Offline GlennM  
#8 Posted : 02 July 2016 12:21:50(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post

It depends how he has done the model.

One way he could have done this is to make 3D scans of the original kit, then upscale it used CAD software from N gauge to HO, then print the individual pieces and build the kit as you would build any plastic based model kit. He could then have printed the relevant pieces in the relevant colours and pieced them together. The colours would be fairly basic and dependent upon the starting colour of plastic as mentioned by Bigdaddynz.

I am interested by the brickwork, John can I ask - is the brickwork 3D printed, painted on after printing or is it paper transfer added afterwards?

There are also (expensive) printers which have multiple heads which can allow plastic of different colours to be built up on one piece, but as far as I am aware you cannot (yet) blend these colours. IMHO do not think there is a consumer available printer that has enough heads to cope with the complexity of colour in a single print as the model shown in the photos.

This technology is moving forward at pace, and I am sure before too long many things will be possible.

Edit: Looking into the future of this technology and sorry it is not train related, but BAe Systems are researching how to 'grow' or 3D print drones, see interesting article here: BBC Article

John, Thank you for posting this model, I am very interested in this technology and would love to see more pictures when available.

BR

Edited by user 03 July 2016 09:12:36(UTC)  | Reason: Link to BBC Article added

Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 04 July 2016 10:41:49(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Glenn, no, the sidewalls, these are cardboard bricks and same goes for any other colour or other brick work, the 3D printing colour is grey, the roof is created with Noch colour paint and he told me this was the most expensive part.

it will take most probably another week before we see the station platform overpass progression and I have no idea what the end product will look like

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline GlennM  
#10 Posted : 04 July 2016 10:59:43(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Glenn, no, the sidewalls, these are cardboard bricks and same goes for any other colour or other brick work, the 3D printing colour is grey, the roof is created with Noch colour paint and he told me this was the most expensive part.

it will take most probably another week before we see the station platform overpass progression and I have no idea what the end product will look like

John

Thanks John.

Looking forward to see complete overpass. Is there a substructure inside to which the cardboard fixes or simply a cardboard rectangle with roof attached?

All the best ThumpUp ThumpUp
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 04 July 2016 14:05:09(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post

John

Thanks John.

Looking forward to see complete overpass. Is there a substructure inside to which the cardboard fixes or simply a cardboard rectangle with roof attached?

Glenn my friend has sent me a number of pictures over a period of time and I have deleted them because it would clatter my email account, so yes there had been pictures of the individual design and structure, in short, the staircase was printed, the sidewalls of the gangway was printed, the roof and its supporting structure was printed, the ornaments were separately printed, I'm not sure or can't remember whether the floor was solid or covered by cardboard and to ask him would be somehow sound like an insult to his efforts he has made and at the same time the pictures he had provided in the past because they were structural components I didn't feel necessary to keep these pictures and look at the end product which I've posted in part until more finished details come available.

to cover it all: the 3D printer printed the following substructures: the roof, the sidewalls of the staircase, the staircase, the ornaments

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 05 July 2016 10:53:09(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
here are some extensions coming along

Bernd Bahnsteg.JPG
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline GlennM  
#13 Posted : 07 July 2016 12:52:32(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post

John

Thanks John.

Glenn my friend has sent me a number of pictures over a period of time and I have deleted them because it would clatter my email account, so yes there had been pictures of the individual design and structure, in short, the staircase was printed, the sidewalls of the gangway was printed, the roof and its supporting structure was printed, the ornaments were separately printed, I'm not sure or can't remember whether the floor was solid or covered by cardboard and to ask him would be somehow sound like an insult to his efforts he has made and at the same time the pictures he had provided in the past because they were structural components I didn't feel necessary to keep these pictures and look at the end product which I've posted in part until more finished details come available.

to cover it all: the 3D printer printed the following substructures: the roof, the sidewalls of the staircase, the staircase, the ornaments

John

Thanks John,

Your explanation has answered my curiosity. ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Once again I think he has done an excellent job.

BR

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 08 July 2016 06:02:43(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
here is a follow up and it reveals the tracks are below, with the staircase getting to the main station (Bad Spandau)

Spandau Station.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109