Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harvey  
#1 Posted : 29 May 2016 18:29:07(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Hi,

Purchased my first new set signals and, of course, some questions. I use M- track and I use the CS2 to power the tracks but I use a separate booster to power turn-outs. I assumed I would use the booster to power the signals as well.

Page 32 of the instruction manual shows the brown and red plugs picking up track power (and ground), bringing it to the decoder. I assume this then feeds power to the red wire (when the signal is green) to the block. I don't understand the need for the 2nd red wire (shown to the far right in the diagram) as this is after the block. I am using a loop wire to feed track power every 6 feet and so I would be feeding power after the block. Am I missing something?

With earlier signals, I recall using the booster to power the lights of the signal. Maybe I was using the booster to power the K83 that activated the signals. Maybe this is insignificant power draw with LED's now and the track power source can be used. I don't see an option to provide power from the booster to the lights. I assume the red/brown wire is the power source. In all the diagrams in the manual, I do not see the connection box (just next to where the brown and red connect) being used. There is no explanation for how this is used. Any ideas if and how the booster should/can be connected to power the signal while the CS2 powers the track? Similarly, the connection box next to where the signal light is plugged into is not shown being used. Can this be the independent power source? If two power sources feed the decoder (one for traction power, one for lights) there would be a need for isolation. Since there are not instructions about this, I assume I would not use a booster to power the leds.

Regards
Harvey
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 30 May 2016 23:45:37(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Harvey Go to Quoted Post
I don't understand the need for the 2nd red wire (shown to the far right in the diagram) as this is after the block. I am using a loop wire to feed track power every 6 feet and so I would be feeding power after the block. Am I missing something?

Re: Too many "1"s'
In a lot of cases the "1" on the left would equal the "1" on the right

I believe the image is trying to show that there MAY be a difference between the control feed and the track feed.
In your case , with a CS2 PLUS booster for accessories, you would NOT wire the left "1" from the track, but from your accessory booster

Re: Signal ligth power
The power for the signal lights comes through the control signal.

The ramification of this is that the lights go out whenever there is a circuit short or the STOP is pressed
If your CS2/Booster setup is such that the booster does not turnoff when the CS2/Track shorts - then this is the best arrangement.

I agree, it would be desirable for the light to stay lit (via an external power source) when the control is off - but that is not the case with these signals.

Re: Extra connector - possibly an extra power feed
A very good thought/idea. I had thought the same at one stage. However have not pursued, other than to note the close proximity of the two connectors and that the pins of each are separated by the slightest of componentry.

I might have another look, unless someone has already tried..
Peter