Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Maurice  
#1 Posted : 20 May 2016 04:50:07(UTC)
Maurice

New Zealand   
Is it possible to link a 8939 signal with a turnout so that when the signal changes from red to green the turnout changes when using the 8946 manual controller?
Thanks, Maurice
Offline ozzman  
#2 Posted : 20 May 2016 09:42:15(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Hi Maurice. I know it would be possible if you were to control your signals and turnouts with 72720 switches. Both the 8945 relay (which you have to have between the 72720 switch and the 8939 signal) and the turnout use double-acting solenoids. In your case I would have thought that the 8946 mimics the function of a double-acting solenoid. I think...

Hopefully someone who REALLY knows what they're talking about will answer your question.
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline hgk  
#3 Posted : 21 May 2016 04:56:23(UTC)
hgk

Hi, I don't see any real easy way to do it.
Those controllers with the Led indicators are for turnouts with end shut off switches on the solenoids (HO) . The Z scale turnouts don't have them and I haven't heard of anyone swapping the solenoids

One way may be to activate electronic latching relays, from the same controller outputs going to the both the turnout and the relay to power the signal lamps. But then you might get into needing digital voltages etc.

There may also be other 3rd party electronics kits out there to do it. Ie. If someone makes a replacement z scale solenoid with end shutoff for feedback.

-George
Offline Nightowl4933  
#4 Posted : 25 March 2017 15:50:25(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Hi Maurice.

Assuming you haven't already found a solution, you can only do this with a Univeral Relay (7244), which is 16v. The accessory circuit from a standard Z gauge controller (67011) isn't sufficient to power the 7244, so you'll need a separate power supply.

With the separate power supply, it is really easy to do, so it was my preferred option.

I've attached the page from the 89391 signal, to give you some idea.

Pete

Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 14.47.08.png
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
Z Scale is great - where's me glasses?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nightowl4933