Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ixldoc  
#1 Posted : 13 May 2016 10:03:47(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
This is my third and last Zeppelin modification project !
Flush with the success of the jet fighter Me 262, Willy Messerschmitt went on to draw up his plans
to modify a Zeppelin railcar using his engines.

He envisioned an elite rail service on dedicated train lines ( similar to TGV etc), non stop between
major cities up to 100 Km apart. It was to be first class only, seating twelve passengers in luxury
with a forward and return journey in the morning and again in the evening. It would not be able
to use existing stations (for obvious reasons), and passengers would be taken to the railcar by bus,
approaching always from the front of the train! After arrival it would then continue to a turntable
where it was shunted by a small diesel, and then return to pick up passengers for the return journey.
Same idea with disembarking. A red carpet was to be laid out at the entry point.

The Zeppelin was to carry two drivers, two stewards and two engineers. The forward section was
to have a small galley and bar on the left and toilets on the right. At the rear of the passenger
compartment was a fireproof, soundproof door leading to the engine area. The windows were
tinted with the Polaroid process ( industrial theft from the US).The drive was derived from two
of his jet engines mounted on the roof at the rear and an experimental auxiliary turbine engine
in the central rear provided power for all ancillary equipment. All three engines used av-gas
and the passengers unknowingly sat on this in tanks below the passenger compartment. It was
pumped aboard via a pipe in the rear. A siren was mounted with a distinctive note
( later remembered for other airborne problems), a radio-telephony aerial provided long range
communication and a radiator on the roof served to dissipate heat from the turbine coolant.
Various other cooling vents were to be provided.

It was a brilliant concept but he faced a lot of opposition so the idea never really took off,
( I just had to get that in!) and the Zeppelin was scrapped for aluminium.

So here is the MeZ 263 , the Borsig 53 Zeppelin that never was .

Some steps in production:
Zeppelin project 3 C.jpg
Zeppelin project 3 D.jpgZeppelin project 3 E.jpgZeppelin project 3 F.jpgZeppelin project 3 G.jpgZeppelin project 3 H.jpgZeppelin project 3 I.jpgZeppelin project 3 J.jpgZeppelin project 3 A.jpgZeppelin project 3 B.jpg

A short video:

Now if you think this is a little fanciful. both the US and Russians in their "mine's better than yours" phase built versions of this concept. Cop the scary looking beast below!
jet_train.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Howard.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline Martin T  
#2 Posted : 13 May 2016 10:29:09(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Amazing! Nice work!
ThumpUp
Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#3 Posted : 13 May 2016 11:03:29(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Not my kind of style but funny. And that's most important!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 13 May 2016 14:50:54(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
They are brilliant.. I like the blue strobe the the brass horn at the top.. It looks authentic.. Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#5 Posted : 23 August 2016 08:51:14(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Now with Märklin rail Zeppelin sound project and optimized air screw steering: https://www.marklin-user...irscrew-motor#post525878