Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sonra  
#1 Posted : 21 March 2016 19:50:31(UTC)
sonra

Israel   
Hi guys
after some years of stop I am back in business and continue to build an HO layout base on c rails . I have a problem in the hidden part of the layout . I show some about messages Centerline track cleaning cars but could not decide if they are good for the c type
any advice and part number ?
regards Doron

Edited by moderator 22 March 2016 11:23:58(UTC)  | Reason: Topic titles should always start with a capital! (It would be nice if your sentences did as well!)

Regards
Doron
Offline Minok  
#2 Posted : 21 March 2016 21:38:44(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I'm following this thread with interest to see what expertise and experience comes out, as I'm just starting to plan a layout. One thing I've taken to heart from the various youtube videos on layout building I have watched and articles I've read is that one should always have some means of access to any track section - for cleaning or derailment or other issue clearing. That said, a periodic run of a cleaning locomotive that can scrub the center posts and tracks to remove buildup would be easier than climbing under a layout and poking one's head and arms up into a helix with a cleaning stick to scrub some rail.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline sjbartels  
#3 Posted : 21 March 2016 22:28:01(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
I'm following this thread with interest to see what expertise and experience comes out, as I'm just starting to plan a layout. One thing I've taken to heart from the various youtube videos on layout building I have watched and articles I've read is that one should always have some means of access to any track section - for cleaning or derailment or other issue clearing. That said, a periodic run of a cleaning locomotive that can scrub the center posts and tracks to remove buildup would be easier than climbing under a layout and poking one's head and arms up into a helix with a cleaning stick to scrub some rail.

I would agree. I too am watching this thread to see what suggestions come up
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline Danlake  
#4 Posted : 22 March 2016 04:14:59(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi all,

I have so far not done any manual cleaning on my centre studs, apart from regular vacuum cleaning.

In my experience the continuous friction from the slider helps to clean the centre studs.

The real issue is the black deposits on the outer rails caused by a combination of oil, dust and the slowly degradation of your rubber tires on the loco's.

The best solution is really manual cleaning with a bit of white cotton rag and some alcohol based cleaning solution.

If you analyse how much effort you have to put into it when using a rag and cleaning solution, you can easily see why a dry pad put under a wagon, with minimal downward pressure is not really going to clean your track properly.

If I had to use cleaning cars I would opt for something like this:

http://tonystrains.com/cmx-o-clean-machine/

And then of course once you have cleaned the tracks it's equally important to clean the wheels and the slider on the loco's.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
H0
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#5 Posted : 22 March 2016 05:13:53(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Hello all,
please go through this thread where the similar topic was dicsussed
Regards,
Madhu
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by madhu.gn.71
H0
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 22 March 2016 09:45:41(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I agree with Lasse that the real problem is with the outer rails getting "gummed up". The centre studs can be kept clean by running a locomotive around the layout at high speed. The slider will clean the studs very effectively.

The deposits on the outer rails are much harder to clean and will affect the transfer of power to the loco much more severely. Any sidings on my layout that are not regularly used will become unusable after about a week unless I clean the track thoroughly with a solvent. If I stop using the layout for more than a week or so I find I need to clean the whole of the track. I've also found by experience that the little felt pads on track cleaning wagons are useless!

Hidden parts of a layout will be partly protected from dust accumulation, but will get dirty eventually and will need cleaning manually. I've made it a point to avoid such areas on my layout, but if I ever feel the need to have a tunnel I will make sure I can get to the track from behind or through a removable section of scenery.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 22 March 2016 11:27:09(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The Peco PL41 track rubber works quite well, hopefully your local hobby store will have them.

http://www.ironhorsehobb...41-track-cleaning-rubber
Offline skeeterbuck  
#8 Posted : 22 March 2016 13:14:55(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
The Peco PL41 track rubber works quite well, hopefully your local hobby store will have them.

http://www.ironhorsehobb...41-track-cleaning-rubber

I think it would be nice if someone would make a rubber style track block that fit the Marklin track cleaner car!ThumpUp

Chuck
Offline MalinAC  
#9 Posted : 22 March 2016 13:22:45(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
I have used a Roco track cleaner for about 20 years and its still in great shape. Mind you it has got a few double tracks on it but it still works good and does what it says on the tin. Take care Eddie Cool Cool BigGrin BigGrin
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 22 March 2016 14:25:26(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I also use a track rubber and find it very effective, but beware that they also abrade the track so should be used sparingly.

You also find bits of rubber are pulled off and litter the track....
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline nitramretep  
#11 Posted : 22 March 2016 16:58:13(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
I have a modest sized layout, I know three others that have layouts that cover 3-4 rooms and have numerous tunnels, mountains and other places where track is almost impossible to clean. These owners all swear by (http://www.euromodeltrains.com/cgi-bin/search.pl) In particular the Lux-Modellbau track cleaning cars, rail cleaner ,vacuum and center rail polisher. The three cars cost $870.00 + but they do the job. You can buy separate cars, each around $300.00+. If my layout gets bigger I might consider this investment. I currently use a Centerline Products Model D35 for Marklin track, it cost $89.00, and does a fairly decent job, although follow-up by hand is required. One thing worth while considering is an air cleaner as a lot of gunk comes from sources in the area, especially if your layout is in the basement near boilers or water heaters.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by nitramretep
Offline Harryv40  
#12 Posted : 22 March 2016 18:24:44(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi guys
Could I also suggest a light weight dust sheet, I find this helps to stop dust etc from landing on the track and adding to the oil, grease etc left by the locos.
Harry
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Harryv40
Offline Minok  
#13 Posted : 22 March 2016 22:20:51(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: nitramretep Go to Quoted Post
I have a modest sized layout, I know three others that have layouts that cover 3-4 rooms and have numerous tunnels, mountains and other places where track is almost impossible to clean. These owners all swear by (http://www.euromodeltrains.com/cgi-bin/search.pl) In particular the Lux-Modellbau track cleaning cars, rail cleaner ,vacuum and center rail polisher. The three cars cost $870.00 + but they do the job.

Due to the way EuroModelTrains run the website, the precise URL to a detailed product page is all hidden in the script variables behind the scenes.

Search for part number: 9635

UserPostedImage

Lux 9635 ULTIMATE Marklin Track Cleaner Package: 8830 vacuum + 9130 grinder + 9136 center stud cleaner

From LUX website directly: http://www.lux-modellbau...nt_content.php?idcat=204
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Tom Jessop  
#14 Posted : 22 March 2016 22:26:43(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
I have used the peco rubber , another similar type of rubber, think it is made by Bemo or Roco. , whal oil , trakmagic , isoprop , "M"track cleaning wagon , & Schienen boy wagon. The peco rubber tends to break up on stud contacts ,the other rubber is much more resilient too studs , whal is good but very thick in density , isoprop is a very light fluid & evaporates quickly , Trackmagic seems to be the best fluid I have found at present , in between whal & isoprop . The M track wagon is only useful on the running rails ,no good on studs , The Schienen boy is a strange thing ,made of brass so plenty of weight ,has track pads for the running rails & a ski device similar to a pick up shoe with a slim strip of rough emery paper attached to it . There is also a similar attachment for the overhead using a pantograph with emery paper rubbing on the overhead pickup cable. There has been mention on here & possibly the old MML where some one used a strip of Masonite attached to a pick up shoe to clean studs & track .

We live about 300 meters from a very large salt lake ,high temps in summer [over 40 c some days ] . Last year we were in Europe for over 3 months & before we left I did a run with the M track wagon using track magic . When we arrived back home I ran a loco on the layout & found there was no problem with contact on the studs or catenary. I am still in the layout building area at present so there is plenty of dust around but still run a train around about once a month & have not had any problems . Main thing is very minimal oil on locos when servicing , check the rubber adhesion bands on wheels that they are not breaking up with age & don't worry too much about dust & grime as the first trains running will usually give a reasonably clean pick up surface .

Cheers Tom in Oz
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline Harryv40  
#15 Posted : 23 March 2016 08:49:47(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Good morning except those done south where it's good evening.

I use to model N Gauge where poor running was also standard!

Over the years I found theses few tips helped

Don't use a track rubber, it's scratches the rails and over time make the problem worse.

If you use surgical spirit or alike remember to turn off the power to the track or you could have a fire!

On the internet you use to be able to buy a 'track mop' that basically was a hardboard mop with an interchangeable j cloth type pad to which you applied your track cleaning fulid and run it along the tracks, the handle enable you to reach in to tunnels etc.

Don't use things like paraffin, etc they contain wax and will only make the problem worse, always check, if it's spirit based, that it's 100 percent pure.

Try and clean the track after running, the grease etc will not have time to glue itself to the track!

Harry
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Harryv40
Offline GLI  
#16 Posted : 23 March 2016 10:11:26(UTC)
GLI

The subject of dirty track has been discussed on this forum before and has again raised its ugly head. What appears below I wrote when it was last discussed but it was never posted as it took so long for me to write and interest in the subject had appeared to wain. Now might be the appropriate time!

Let me begin by saying that I prefer not to have to clean the track on my layouts or the wheels of my locomotives or rolling stock at all. I apologise in advance for the length of this post, but I feel that the members of the forum might benefit if I relate my experience over the past 12 years. During this period, I have never had to clean my track or the wheels of any locomotives or rolling stock, and I don't expect it will be necessary for the next 12 years or even longer.

I live in Lithgow which is located about 126 kilometres by rail west of Sydney (in Australia). The winters are rather cold here as we are about 1000 metres above sea level (occasionally it even snows here), and it is necessary to heat houses from April to September most years. The house I am renting has coal fired central heating which must be ashed and fuelled three times a day. The ash is dumped over the edge of the escarpment, and if the usual prevailing wind from the south west is blowing, it carries the ash cloud over (yes, you guessed it) the train shed. This is an old shed that was erected by the former owners as a temporary residence while the main house was being built. It is not dust proof and the roof leaks. It is now used for my layouts, and I soon discovered I had a major dust and dirty track problem after I erected my first layout, especially in winter. The ash settles on the layout, and on any locomotives or rolling stock left on the layout for an extended period of time. The layout should be vaccumed regularly (but isn't), and the dust must be brushed off the locos and rolling stock (which it is).

The problem became most severe when I began to experiment with DCC (not Marklin digital. Why? Well that's another story.) I found that it was necessary clean the track every three days to obtain satisfactory running. Initially the layout was used for 2 rail operation, but was later converted to run 3 rail as well using the old pressed metal Marklin catenary. This did not improve running reliability, and manual cleaning with a Peco track cleaning rubber under the catenary was difficult. I tried Peco electrolube, Wahl clipper oil and Rail Zip. These worked for 2 or 3 days, but because they were liquids, they attracted the dust, and when they dried out, they stopped working and the track had to be cleaned.

I had almost come to the conclusion that DCC was too unreliable compared to analogue DC when I was at Punchbowl Hobbies in Sydney one day in the third week of June 2004. I was talking with some of the other customers about our hobby when one of them remarked that he never had to clean his track. This caught my attention immediately and I asked how he achieved this. He ran HO models in 2 rail DC , and apparently used graphite mixed in a solution of methylated spirits on his track.

When I got home that night, I went down to the train shed. I had graphite but no methylated spirits, so I decided to use mineral turpentine instead. I made several applications of graphite and noticed an immediate improvement in the running of my locomotives. I continued applying graphite the next day, and after 2 or 3 hours there was a grey film of graphite on the track and on the wheels of the locomotives and coaches I had been running. I had made one mistake though: I did not clean the track before applying the graphite, and as a result there were two places on the layout where I still had unreliable pickup. I quickly cleaned these with the Peco track cleaning rubber, after which I had no further problems for 33 months. I then began to experience pickup problems at the same two places I had previously cleaned. This time, I cleaned them thoroughly, and I had no further problems till the layout was taken out of service.

The only “ongoing maintenance” that the layout required was to apply more graphite to the track every two months or so. This only required a dab or two of graphite with a paint brush on each rail, and took no longer than 2 minutes. It took longer to find the turps to mix with the graphite (it tended to evaporate between applications) than it did to put it on the track.

As noted earlier, this occurred in June 2004. A week later, I applied graphite to the layout of my friend John who lives in south west Sydney. Unlike my layout, John's layout is located in a bedroom in his house. It is 2 rail HO scale and uses DCC. It has two 21” radius curves both situated on 1 in 33 (3%) grades. Because it is situated in a cleaner environment, it had only been necessary to clean his track every fortnight. Twelve years later, the layout is still working, and apart from the periodic application of graphite, it has not been necessary to clean the track or the wheels of any locomotives or rolling stock in all that time.

I have since built a second layout which was planned for exhibition use. It was initially built as a 2 rail layout for steam locomotives, but was later modified to operate as a 3 rail layout using live catenary as the third rail. It has been taken to at least 6 exhibitions (2 of which were held by the Marklin Modellers of Sydney). If anyone has had experience of exhibitions, they will know that it is a real test of a layout's reliability, as the dust generated plays havoc with rail to wheel contact, and frequent cleaning of the track is necessary to maintain operational reliability. An application of graphite at the start of each exhibition is all that has been necessary to maintain reliable operation. The layout is now 8 years old, and apart from cleaning the track to remove glue and plaster after doing scenery work, there has never been any need to ever clean the track, or any locomotive or rolling stock wheels.

How does it work? The mineral turpentine (or methylated spirits) serves only as a carrier to bind the powdered graphite together so it can be placed on the rails where it is picked up by the wheels of locomotives and rolling stock, and distributed around the layout. The turps or metho evaporates, leaving the graphite which is electrically conductive (just like the graphite brushes used in most of the motors that power our models) to improve contact between the rail and the wheels. When the locomotive first runs over the graphite, it sounds as though it is running over gravel, but the graphite is soon ground down by the wheels of the locos and rolling stock as it is spread around the rails.

Using graphite to keep track and wheels clean as I have outlined above is not without its problems, which are as follows:
1. Graphite is a lubricant, and it will affect the adhesion of locomotives. The loss of adhesion is worst immediately after graphite has been applied to the track. After a couple of days, things settle down and adhesion improves, but there is still loss of adhesion. I must note, however, that Peco Electolube, Wahl clipper oil, Rail Zip or other similar products to improve electrical contact, will also cause a similar loss of adhesion, as they are all basically lubricants. The problem with all these other products is that they stop working when they dry out, while the graphite continues to work as it is a dry lubricant.
2. Adhesion is also affected by a second factor: the turps I use to bind the graphite together affects the rubber traction tyres on the locomotives. It causes the tyres to expand slightly, and to harden. Eventually, they begin to slip on the wheels. This mainly affects the locomotives used to initially distribute the graphite along the track, as the turps quickly evaporates. I suspect that if I had used metho instead of turps, it would have been less of a problem. In an effort to eliminate this problem entirely, I am now using iso-propyl alcohol, but it will be at least a year before I know if this works, as I only have to apply graphite on my two layouts every two months at most, and then only in small quantities. I run locomotives mainly by Marklin/Trix and Hag, but also Fleischmann and Roco. The locomotives that were most seriously affected by loss of adhesion were Fleischmann tender steam locomotives, as they are tender driven, usually (but not always) through only 2 axles.

How big a problem is the loss of adhesion? On a scale of 1 to 10, I would personally rate it as a no more than a 1. This will of course depend on the nature of the layout, but most of us don't have the space for very large layouts and as a consequence, don't operate large or full size trains. I have no problem running 5 or 6 coach passenger trains and even longer freight trains, and my mate John is able to operate prototypical trains on his layout, even with its curves and gradients.

I have found the benefits of using graphite as outlined above are as follows:
1. I never have to clean the track on my layouts. This has saved me countless hours over the past 12 years.
2. My locomotives run more smoothly with graphite on the rails than they otherwise would if the track had only been cleaned.
3. I never have to clean locomotive or rolling stock wheels. Apart from the time this has saved me, it has one other great advantage. Modern locomotives and rolling stock are usually highly detailed with plastic parts that can be quite fragile and easily damaged, especially when cleaning wheels. If you don't have to clean the wheels, then models are far less lightly to suffer damage to detailed parts.

There is only one further matter to discuss and that is the type of track used. I use either Peco or Atlas code 100 nickel silver flexible track, and Peco points (switchs or turnouts). Some of this track has been salvaged from other layouts and is being used for its second or third time. The question for many of the members of this forum is,”Will graphite work with Marklin track?” Though I have no actual experience, I have no doubt it will work with K and C track, as the rail profile is similar to Peco and Atlas with a flat running surface. However, I seem to recall that M track has a hollow profile rail with a curved running surface, so it may not be as effective.

Summing up my experience, I have no doubt that the benefits of using graphite on my layout greatly outweigh the loss of adhesion caused by using the graphite. The time I have saved over the past 12 years in never having to clean track and wheels must run into many days, and freed from that drudgery, I have been able to use that time instead either running trains or carrying out other aspects of our hobby that I enjoy.

Geoff
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by GLI
Offline nitramretep  
#17 Posted : 23 March 2016 15:57:39(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
How do you apply the graphite? How do deal with the build-up of graphite on the track? The idea is interesting but the down sides are loss of traction and anything else?

Graphite is suspended in turpentine and a lubricant , why not use silicone in an alcohol suspension? I believe DuPont sells a Teflon and alcohol mixture in auto part stores. The turpentine worry's me as to the long term effect on many other things other than rubber.
Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 23 March 2016 18:49:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I would have thought that graphite (carbon) suspended in turpentine would make an explosive mixture. Scared

Maybe I'm wrong. I'm no chemist.
Ray
Offline Minok  
#19 Posted : 23 March 2016 18:55:29(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Interesting approach.

My initial fear was that turpentine, being a solvent, would adversely affect the synthetic parts of the track and layout. You see the effect it has on the locomotive tires. Any affect on the track ties and other plastic parts?

So I take it you have a spot where you apply the solution of liquid+graphite powder on a small section, and then have the trains run over it and distribute it throughout the layout. That seems like a great solution as one can work on an easily accessible area, such as a parade-section or near the controller, and not have to bend and lean and stretch and contort as would be needed for direct application to the track rails all around the layout.

I'm imagining the graphite provides a small bit of 'grit' between the track and wheels, that is, the uneven surface of it, so that any dust or accumulation on the surface from oils would mainly lodge in the spaces between the graphite particles and be scrubbed off of the high spots on the graphite particles. Great idea if the reduction of static friction between wheels and rails doesn't cause a problem on one's layout due to incline - and each layout is different there.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline Minok  
#20 Posted : 23 March 2016 18:56:33(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: nitramretep Go to Quoted Post

Graphite is suspended in turpentine and a lubricant , why not use silicone in an alcohol suspension? I believe DuPont sells a Teflon and alcohol mixture in auto part stores.

The silicone is an insulator.. thats the last thing you want when you need electrical contact between the wheels and track.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline Minok  
#21 Posted : 23 March 2016 18:59:32(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I would have thought that graphite (carbon) suspended in turpentine would make an explosive mixture. Scared

The graphite isn't an issue here (he's not making black powder... ingredients still missing).. but the turpentine, or any flammable liquid might be. If applied in larger quantity, a spark from the running rails could ignite the solvent and cause a small fire, so very limited use of flammable solvents is needed. I don't think he is pouring it on his track.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline skeeterbuck  
#22 Posted : 23 March 2016 19:00:16(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   

Ray, I'm no chemist either. The way I understand it is graphite is the highest form of coal which is also a carbon. Unlike coal, graphite is hard to ignite so I would think that the chance of an explosion would be rather remote.

Chuck

P.S. Of course combined with the thread about inhaling the smoke given off by our HO engines, this hobby has more danger attached to it that I first realized. Laugh

Explosions and lung disease...what next! BigGrin Wink RollEyes
Offline Minok  
#23 Posted : 23 March 2016 19:03:46(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post

P.S. Of course combined with the thread about inhaling the smoke given off by our HO engines, this hobby has more danger attached to it that I first realized. Laugh

Explosions and lung disease...what next! BigGrin Wink RollEyes

OK, the first confirmed case of black-lung from running a model train layout wins an award. Maybe a Darwin Award, but an award none-the-less.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline baggio  
#24 Posted : 24 March 2016 02:05:33(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I've also found by experience that the little felt pads on track cleaning wagons are useless!

Have you tried using Isopropyl on those pads and letting the wagon run? It seems to work for me. BigGrin
Offline GLI  
#25 Posted : 26 March 2016 08:10:27(UTC)
GLI

My apologies for the delay in responding to your queries, but I have been busy for the past 2 days. On Thursday, I had a 4.00 am start for an all day trip to the town of Wellington on family business, and I also had an early start on Friday which was spent with a friend exploring the remains of an old branch line of the New South Wales Government Railways to the town of Coolah which was closed in 1957.

To answer your questions:

How do you apply the graphite?
I simply use a brush. The isopropyl alcohol causes the graphite to clump together which is then applied to the surface of the rails with the brush. I then run the train over the track which is picked up by the wheels of the loco and carriages which spread it around the layout. When applying the graphite to a layout for the first time, I place it on the track at various points around the layout to hasten the process. It will take several hours for the process to be completed, but this of course depends on the size of the layout.

How do you deal with the build-up of graphite on the track?
You don't. The whole idea is to build up the graphite on the track. As the graphite is electrically conductive, it improves electrical conductivity between the railhead and the wheel. The reason gung builds up on wheels is that a rolling wheel on a rail is a very poor electrical conductor. As a result, there is arcing between the rail and the wheel which causes dirt to gradually build up until they have to be cleaned. This is quite visible if you are using a pulse width modulated type of DC controller, and you turn off the lights. You can see the current arcing between the wheels and the rail. Poor conductivity is one of the reasons that LGB use a sliding contact to the rail with their smaller locos.

Graphite is suspended in turpentine and a lubricant , why not use silicone in an alcohol suspension?
As Minok has already posted, this would be totally counterproductive as silicon is an insulator and would hinder conductivity between the rail and the wheel.

I would have thought that graphite (carbon) suspended in turpentine would make an explosive mixture.
Minok has already answered this query, Ray. However, there is an issue of inflammability. Over 10 years ago, I had an issue with an insulated joint between two rails. I applied the graphite across the joint, and for a reason I cannot recall, when I applied power to the track, there was a short circuit across the joint. There was a momentary puff of smoke before the overload protection cut in. This is no longer an issue as I am using isopropyl alcohol, and I would recommend that anybody who wants to try this process use isopropyl alcohol. Not only does it remove the inflammability issue, but when the alcohol evaporates, it leaves little or no residue, which is not the case with turps or metholated spirits, which are oil based.

My initial fear was that turpentine, being a solvent, would adversely affect the synthetic parts of the track and layout. You see the effect it has on the locomotive tires. Any affect on the track ties and other plastic parts?
After 12 years, I have noticed no effect at all on any plastic parts of the track, locos or rolling stock, even though I was using turps. As i am now using isopropyl alcohol, I believe this potential danger has been further reduced.

As I pointed out in my initial post, I have not had to clean any track or wheels for about 12 years. I simply walk in to the train shed, switch on the power and run the trains. I only realised while operating my layout this afternoon that it is now nearly the end of March, and I have not applied any graphite to either of my layouts since November last year. No doubt it will be more frequent in the months ahead as winter is approaching.

If you wish to enjoy running your trains and never having to clean your track locos or rolling stock, try using the graphite with isopropyl alcohol. If you have sharp curves on steep grades, you may have adhesion problems, but remember that any loss of adhesion improves after a couple of days. If it doesn't work, use the alcohol to clean your track and wheels, and proceed as you did before. If it works on your layout, you have everything to gain, and nothing to lose.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GLI
Offline sonra  
#26 Posted : 26 March 2016 12:13:22(UTC)
sonra

Israel   
Hi guys
Thank for help and advice . I will go on the LUX 9635 set and hope it will be good for me
Regards Doron
Regards
Doron