Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline aclassifier  
#1 Posted : 19 February 2016 19:51:54(UTC)
aclassifier

Norway   
What is the accuracy of this sound? Is it a recording from running the museum loco, or is it a general sound from that time era's electric loco?

I can hear quite much clicking of the relays, switches and solenoid valves (?) that regulate the speed, pressure etc. inside. Is this correct?

Also, I have a Roco 78494 ÖBB Class 1245 that also has nice sound, but the Märklin sound is much cleaner, much better signal/noise ratio(?) The Roco sounds like there is some kind of digitalization noise, like I assume one would get if one splice sound fragments and don't get the splicing right? Like splicing 10 ms fragments, i.e. some 100 "clicks" per second?

Where is there an accurate description of how this is done?

Speeding the loco isn't just to speed up the sampling of samples in a file, I assume. It doesn't sound like. I could do an FFT and move the spectrum up/down and do an inverse, but I have no idea of how that would sound..?

(I try to reflect this in http://www.teigfam.net/o...191-electric-locomotive/ Disclaimer: no money or gifts associated with any of my blog notes, it's only a hobby).
Offline Minok  
#2 Posted : 23 February 2016 00:14:50(UTC)
Minok

United States   
In testing out my recent loco purchases of different DB era IV locos, I found that the operational sound for the electric locos does differ: eg, the 'firecracker' 39414 BR 141 had the loud relay clacking sounds that were unique to it (when starting up in a direction), whereas the 37406 BR139 had a different operational sound, and that sounds different from the BR103 37577 operational sound. So I think Märklin try to use the accurate sounds when possible, though I cannot say if accurate sounds are always used on every locomotive. I suppose it depends on having a recording of the original locomotive sounds and them being unique enough to warrant creating a new sound file for use on the embedded sound chips.

I don't have any familiarity with the ÖBB 1245 to know what it really sounded like, nor the 37294 DB 141 sounded like in real life. Given its an mfx+ system, the 37294 sound wold be expected to have been done with an eye toward accuracy.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 23 February 2016 08:21:26(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: aclassifier Go to Quoted Post
What is the accuracy of this sound?
Don't expect too much. Märklin, ESU, Zimo all may use generic or inauthentic sound files.

I haven't heard the 37294, but it would not surprise me if it was the same sound as the Swiss crocodile, but with a different whistle sound.

Märklin have a long tradition of using inauthentic sounds.
A recent example is the BR 01.5 (wrong whistle sound). Another example is the BR 141/E 41 which initially had the sound of BR 110.1 (the Märklin videos talk about the famous firecracker sound, but what your hear are just the soft clicks of a BR 110.1).
The 01.10 (39103, 39104) initially had a wrong whistle sound, too.
The first 1116 had the wrong sound, possibly taken from a previous BR 101 model. The first 1216 had the wrong sound, taken from previous 1116 models.
The first ES 64 U2 models (182, 1016, 1116) had a problem and played some sound while the loco was still standing - earlier ESU decoders and later Märklin decoders play the sound while the loco is already moving.

With locos that are not operational (BR 191, Big Boy, ...) they have to use the sounds of similar locos. So it is no wonder that V 140 and V 188 sound like other diesel locos.
For modern locos they sometimes use existing recordings - at least for the first models. If there is enough uproar, they will use better sound later. They already promised that the BR 01.5 will have the correct whistle sound with models in the future.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0