Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#1 Posted : 03 January 2016 02:43:11(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hi folks,

Normally I am over in the Collector's Corner but had a thought the other day about computer control of layouts. As a vintage collector I setup some track every once in a while to run my locos. I've always dreamed of a modern digital layout but it hasn't happened yet. Then I thought, wouldn't it be cool if I could control someone else's layout remotely and watch the trains go around through a live video feed. I've seen some wireless cameras that can even be mounted within the loco cab. As a tech person myself, I know all of this would be technically possible and with computer control of layouts it wouldn't take much to allow anyone on the web to control the entire layout.

So my question is: are there current sites or members that have a similar setup in which users can log in and control / view a complete train layout? If not, would this be of interest to other forum members? I'm seriously thinking of building it, and perhaps will even build a crane that can be remotely controlled to load goods onto freight trains!

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Best wishes,

Paul
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 03 January 2016 03:14:48(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
This was done by the University of Freiberg in 1995. See http://rr.informatik.tu-...me&lang=eng&js=0

My layout software can also be accessed via the web, see http://cabinlayout.mixmo...ser-based-layout-control

I do not have live feed video set up, nor do I really want to have my layout on all the time or have people running the trains on a complex layout!

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 03 January 2016 03:16:35(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Paul, what happens when an accident occurs and the owner is asleep while you operate the train(s), if you have the capability of running 40 trains does this mean 40 people can log onto your layout ?

While you are having fun who is going to do the maintenance on locos and rolling stock, there are more than technical issues involved, I can't see someone allowing you to run his locos on his layout, he build and he paid for, you could issue a license number with a cost involved, for example an hour or 2 hours of play. but will this be enough to hang around while someone else enjoys it or you may have to have x amount of members logged on (with a license number issued) and running the layout for a specific time but I still see problems how you can control the organization of such events from a logistic point of view.
just say 20 members take part every time such a computer controlled takes place. there are most probably certain locos and rolling stock offered, who gets what and what about disagreements who gets what and what about 1 member or last to join doesn't like anything what's left over and you have to find another member to make up the 20.

I think the idea is plausible but actually getting started and organizing a team together and agreeing will be the difficult part. I personally can't see it will work with 1 person operating the layout remote, with the owner of the layout and all its content be willing to stay up so you can enjoy a couple of hours of pleasure, its like coming into your home with 24/7 free access, open the fridge and indulge you with food at someone else's expense, time and effort

there is always the chance one loco stops working, derails, power goes off or any other foreseen or unforeseen situations occurs, who takes responsibility for what ? I can see a license fee is higher for an ICE train than a little steamer, what happens when the ICE train derails at high speed and causes other trains to stop operating, was it your own fault or had it to do with the tracks itself. who pays for lost time or who gets compensated ? and who can prevent or influence feedbacks with one member being unsatisfied like we have on this forum under dealers and ebay issues.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
#4 Posted : 03 January 2016 03:34:10(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
This was done by the University of Freiberg in 1995. See http://rr.informatik.tu-...me&lang=eng&js=0

My layout software can also be accessed via the web, see http://cabinlayout.mixmo...ser-based-layout-control

I do not have live feed video set up, nor do I really want to have my layout on all the time or have people running the trains on a complex layout!

Thanks for the links, Dale! I remembered that you had done some work in this area and I enjoyed reading your page. I'll do some more research on it and may reach out to you soon!

Paul

#5 Posted : 03 January 2016 03:38:25(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Paul, what happens when an accident occurs and the owner is asleep while you operate the train(s), if you have the capability of running 40 trains does this mean 40 people can log onto your layout ?

While you are having fun who is going to do the maintenance on locos and rolling stock, there are more than technical issues involved, I can't see someone allowing you to run his locos on his layout, he build and he paid for, you could issue a license number with a cost involved, for example an hour or 2 hours of play. but will this be enough to hang around while someone else enjoys it or you may have to have x amount of members logged on (with a license number issued) and running the layout for a specific time but I still see problems how you can control the organization of such events from a logistic point of view.
just say 20 members take part every time such a computer controlled takes place. there are most probably certain locos and rolling stock offered, who gets what and what about disagreements who gets what and what about 1 member or last to join doesn't like anything what's left over and you have to find another member to make up the 20.

I think the idea is plausible but actually getting started and organizing a team together and agreeing will be the difficult part. I personally can't see it will work with 1 person operating the layout remote, with the owner of the layout and all its content be willing to stay up so you can enjoy a couple of hours of pleasure, its like coming into your home with 24/7 free access, open the fridge and indulge you with food at someone else's expense, time and effort

there is always the chance one loco stops working, derails, power goes off or any other foreseen or unforeseen situations occurs, who takes responsibility for what ? I can see a license fee is higher for an ICE train than a little steamer, what happens when the ICE train derails at high speed and causes other trains to stop operating, was it your own fault or had it to do with the tracks itself. who pays for lost time or who gets compensated ? and who can prevent or influence feedbacks with one member being unsatisfied like we have on this forum under dealers and ebay issues.

John

Thanks, John, you bring up some very good points. My current plan would be to build the layout myself and offer it up for others to use. Then if others agreed they could add the same system to allow others to control their own layouts. It could be a good way to make some money on the side while your layout isn't being used -- maybe to finance new purchases?

The logistics is the most difficult part. I was thinking users could sign up for 1-hr blocks and get full control of the layout and all trains. Maybe charge a small fee and of course if the train derails or the locos need maintenance the user could report a problem and other scheduled users would be notified the layout is down for maintenance. It probably wouldn't ever work to have 2 people control the trains at the same time -- too much chance of a disaster. But if one person operated the crane while another person drove the train in there could be some fun!

Best wishes,

Paul

Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 03 January 2016 12:57:23(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for the links, Dale! I remembered that you had done some work in this area and I enjoyed reading your page. I'll do some more research on it and may reach out to you soon!

Paul

This capability is also available with the JMRI software. I know that in the USA some people have operators that drive the trains locally and have people a state or two away as dispatcher. However there is nothing to stop controlling the trains remotely.

The only trick with the University of Freiburg layout is that it is single user, there is only one train running at a time (least that was the situation last time I looked at it). It tells you who has control of the train, and then once that finishes its trip you may find another name in control of it. I presume it has some form of message queue to sort this out.

I believe the layout was done as a student project by (I think) the IT section to show computer control of a system. I believe a model railway was chosen because the lecturer leading the project is interested in Marklin.

Offline Jay  
#7 Posted : 03 January 2016 15:51:15(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
Hi Dale,fascinating but what about hackers who want to cause mischief ?, I am not IT literate but just a thought.

Jay
Offline baggio  
#8 Posted : 03 January 2016 16:42:45(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
The idea is truly intriguing. BigGrin ThumpUp ThumpUp

To work, it would have to have an override control whereby the owner supervises the guest and takes responsibility for making sure there are no accidents.

If only one train runs at a time, accidents should not be a problem.

Access to the layout would have to be given by appointment between the owner and the user and should be pre-arranged privately between people who trust each other.

At least initially, there should not be a charge levied, and the time allotted could be short, say 15 minutes at a time.

A telephone connection could be set up at the same time so the two can communicate about issues that arise during the session.

I would love to hear on the forum by anyone who actually will do this or has done it in the past.

Offline Webmaster  
#9 Posted : 03 January 2016 20:27:52(UTC)
Webmaster

I remember playing with it in the 90's when it was at the University of Ulm in its original configuration... It was great fun in the early days of Internet... Smile ThumpUp
But the video delays were a bit annoying over a 33.6k modem, got a bit better with 512kbps ADSL...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]