Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ianstaley  
#1 Posted : 28 December 2015 17:10:25(UTC)
ianstaley

United Kingdom   
Hi all Z scaler's I am totally new to Model Railway Engineering, I had a typical Hornby set when I was a kid many many moons ago now. Now I am 64 and just starting a third life crisis, I have gone and bought myself a Marklin Z gauge starter set for Christmas. So I have a simple oval with a very tiny green loco and two trucks. Now comes the question, I see so many things on the Net over Z gauge especially the states. I have a sister who I will be visiting that lives in South Dakota in 2016, so I have a lovely 2-8-2 Loco that I have bought of the ebay and is now awaiting my collection in May.

Now Track, the Marklin track is to say the least fiddly, and for a chap who need two pairs of glasses to get a good view of the track very hard to connect. I managed after about 40 minutes and got the engine and trucks to zip around the track, but there is always a but! there is a single point where the thing stops, IE a dead bit of track and it is right on the power connection. I can't seem to solve this except move the engine on slightly with a gentle push.

Now I have seen some different track, Rokuan and I believe an American track from Micro Track. Are these pieces of track interchangeable, is it going to be ok to run a Marklin engine on a rokuan track or a micro track system. I have seen articles on changing the connectors between rolling stock and engine, all sorts of stuff except is the track interchangeable.

Now I am going to be totally honest here and say that my reasons for this is the "Polar Express" and I guess I made the wrong choice and should have gone with 'N' gauge as there is one in that gauge but like it or not I have gone with Z and I love it. Laugh Blushing So any help n this would be very much appreciated.

IanBigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ianstaley
Offline ozzman  
#2 Posted : 28 December 2015 19:20:46(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Hi Ian. Welcome to this forum and the world of Z scale!

Rokuhan track is very good. They make a wider range of pieces (especially curves), including different sets that simulate wooden and concrete sleepers. Also, Rokuhan track stands up much better to being assembled and taken apart. As far as I know, there is no adapter piece you can get to join Marklin and Rokuhan tracks. Micro trains track is similar to Marklin, but doesn't have the same range of pieces.

Marklin locos run well on Rokuhan track, so there is no issue there.

With your starter set you will have received a power pack. The wiring from this cannot be easily connected to Rokuhan track. Unless, of course, you're handy at joining up bits of wire - after all, were are talking about the same voltage in both cases.

You might like to consider Japanese Z scale trains. They are very good, in my opinion better than Marklin or US made trains. The main makers are Rokuhan and Tenshodo. The latter make two very fine steam locos - a 2-8-2 and a 4-6-4. The former make a very nice 2-6-2 steam tank loco. If steam is your thing. Otherwise there's a range of diesel and electric locos, EMUs and Shinkansen (bullet trains).

Whichever direction you decide to go in, enjoy!
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by ozzman
Offline Wal  
#3 Posted : 29 December 2015 05:54:20(UTC)
Wal

Australia   
Hi Ian,

Welcome...Z can be addictive. I started with a Z starter set a couple of years ago and now run a dozen locos and have upgraded from analogue to digital.

Re the loco stopping on the feeder track. Doesn't sound electrical as it works everywhere else so the easiest thing to try is cleaning the track. I use isopropyl alcohol on a regular basis and this keeps things running smoothly. I do not use anything abrasive on the track at all.

Cheers,

Wal
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Wal
Offline ianstaley  
#4 Posted : 29 December 2015 15:31:48(UTC)
ianstaley

United Kingdom   
Thanks feller's, I have noticed that the Rokuan track is a lot wider in it's offerings, so I have decided to go with that, to that end I have bought two oval starter sets for about 23 dollars each (US) and 6 pieces of straight for about the same. I have 10 Z scale street lights coming, and I have about 15 buildings (paper) that I intend to cut out and stick to a plastic background to make then stiff. I will use my fretsaw to cut the plastic to shape once the paper has been glued on. So I have a good start, I was looking at making a winter layout too utilising a snow plough engine and have been looking for Z scale figures that are skiing snowboarding, I want an operational ski lift too but as yet can't find one so looks like I will have to make one myself; same goes for the figures, lots of people but none in winter clothing.

First though I need to get a good magnifying Cyclops head gear, I can't see much without my glasses on so a magnifier is an absolute necessity. I have a steel scale ruler coming which is specific to 1:220 so that will be a big help, I also have some good workshop tools wooden and metal work, 2 lathes, band saw, fretsaw and so on so I should be okay with that. But my main job once I get back from the states is chopping and customising the 2-8-2 engine I have bought, it looks almost the same as a Berkeley class loco that is used in Polar Express, so I need to swap out the rear 2 wheel axle for a 4 wheel axle. I also want to go the whole ten yards and get a DCC is it system with sounds and so on.

Anyway thanks for the info on the track I will put it to good use one way or another.

Oh happy new year to all too. Cool
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ianstaley
Wal
Offline ianstaley  
#5 Posted : 23 January 2016 01:27:39(UTC)
ianstaley

United Kingdom   
So since I was on here, I have in my possession 2 x starters sets from Rokuan, plus 2 x 45 curves 6 pieces each, some straight in 210 and 4 in 220. I have also just bought some more so will be getting more soon. So started out I hope well. Ah I have also discovered that rokuan do make a adapter piece to link theirs with Marklin so the future is bright.LOL Laugh